User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 10:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Arena Postgame Traffic Pattern FUBAR

Does anyone know why the decision was made to change the postgame traffic pattern for people trying to exit the parking lots onto Edwin C? I ask because the new controls seem to defy logic and reason. Among the changes that don’t make sense to me (as a longtime “C” lot permit-holder):
-They’ve shut down 1 of the 3 “C” Lot outbound lanes, so that there’s one lane turning south toward I-75, one lane turning north toward Stewart Street, and one lane that has absolutely no cars in it whatsoever. In fact, they’re swinging the gate shut, so that it prevents people from using it to exit the lot (“You can check-out any time you like, but YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE...”). And that would be understandable, if Edwin C was backed-up like O’Hare Airport on Christmas Eve, but
-They’re leaving 3 southbound lanes open for most of span between C Lot & D Lot, even though nearly everyone exiting D Lot turns NORTH. That stretch of southbound Edwin C is a veritable ghost town, but they can’t use the “chicken lane” to allow for more northbound traffic flow?

So, you’ve constricted flow out of C Lot by 1/3, you’ve constricted northbound flow on Edwin C by 1/3, and you consider that PROGRESS?! What FACTS (not opinions, and not hypotheses) am I missing here?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (12-01-2018), AlumUD (12-02-2018), UDGutter2 (12-01-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Traffic flow going into the arena wasn't handled any better.... I left Milano's (after an AWESOME Philly Cheesesteak sub) a bit after 6 and got to my seat as the Let's Get Ready to Rumble was playing..... Inched along on Stewart Street for 30 minutes.... "Somebody" changed "something" as that short jaunt has never taken very long in previous years. And the D lot was only about half full, so many others came in after I did.....
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (12-01-2018), pmcmullen (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
C Gate fiasco

I agree the traffic control at the entry to Lot C makes no sense. 90% of the C-lot users arrive from the north. Traffic from the north is backed up every game all the way from the "C" entry to the "D" entry. The traffic directors seem to allow twenty or thirty cars from the north to enter C-lot, then halt entry to allow a half dozen cars from the south to enter C-lot (and there is seldom more than a half dozen every backed up form that direction to begin with). And even when they are allowing the few from the north to enter, why cant those few cars use the center entry lane and allow entry from the north to continue uninterrupted?
Are they trying to tell us that if you park in C-lot we prefer you come from the south? Or don't they realize that they are massively impeding inbound traffic from the north by their "biased" courtesy to the few who arrive from the south.

And...ditto to the gripes about the senseless exiting policy.
Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Agree that coming and going was bad. It took forever to get into lot d. I don't think they were holding pedestrian traffic to let them group up at all. That didn't help!
Old 12-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I agree the traffic control at the entry to Lot C makes no sense. 90% of the C-lot users arrive from the north. Traffic from the north is backed up every game all the way from the "C" entry to the "D" entry. The traffic directors seem to allow twenty or thirty cars from the north to enter C-lot, then halt entry to allow a half dozen cars from the south to enter C-lot (and there is seldom more than a half dozen every backed up form that direction to begin with). And even when they are allowing the few from the north to enter, why cant those few cars use the center entry lane and allow entry from the north to continue uninterrupted?
Are they trying to tell us that if you park in C-lot we prefer you come from the south? Or don't they realize that they are massively impeding inbound traffic from the north by their "biased" courtesy to the few who arrive from the south.

And...ditto to the gripes about the senseless exiting policy.
I have no idea what you are talking about. We have a C lot pass and arrive from the South. at the Ft. Wayne game, we literally waited 10 minutes to make the left hand turn into the parking lot. Last night we arrived very early and it wasn't a problem. I'm thinking the coming and going of busses is the biggest problem.

Exiting the C lot last night was a complete joke.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
We too noticed how slow it was getting into Lot C. Coming from the north, we were just past the entrance of D Lot about 620 and took us 10 minutes to get from there into C. I did notice it appeared to be a few new faces tearing off the parking ticket stubs as we entered C
Old 12-01-2018, 05:19 PM
2nd Lieutenant

bryan will become famous soon enoughbryan will become famous soon enough
It took 30 minutes from in front of Marriot on Patterson to get into the D lot. The folks managing the flow kept stoping southbound traffic whenever there were 3 cars in line in northbound lanes. The absolute worst i've experienced in my 43 years parking in the D lot.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like the whole thing is a fustercluck, from (a) the need for parking ticket stubs (Really? In 2018? More paper?) to (b) lanes being shut down or otherwise underutilized to (c) efficient traffic flow not seeming to even be a goal. And one point ClaytonFlyerFan made takes me to another observation I made some time ago, specifically this.

As you’re approaching the Arena from the north on Edwin C, the overhead signals state that the right 2 lanes are to be used for D lot, and only the 1 left lane is to be used for A, B, & C lots...yet NO TRAFFIC from the middle lane gets directed into D lot. That means people in the far left lane need to go 2 LANES to the right in order to get into C lot. Here’s an idea:
1) Make the right lane D lot only, put that up in neon lights, and force all traffic in the right lane into D lot.
2) Make the middle lane C lot only, put THAT up in neon lights, and force all traffic from the middle lane to shift to the right lane after it passes the gate to D lot.
3) Make the left lane A & B lots only, put THAT up in neon lights, force all traffic from the left lane to shift to the middle lane after it passes the gate to D lot, AND THEN split the traffic after it passes the gate to C lot so that B lot traffic is in the right lane and A lot traffic is in the 2nd lane approaching Gate B.

This way, inbound lanes would automatically divert into 1 gate and 1 gate only, and as the traffic dissipates, there will eventually be 1 lane per Gate.

And, as far as the postgame traffic is concerned, I have just 1 suggestion: OPEN ALL THE D@MNED LANES!!!

You’re welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 12-01-2018 at 07:13 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (12-02-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-01-2018), DickB 309 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
It used to be, the left southbound lane had to go straight at the c lot entrance. The right lane would continue to turn right into the c lot, and only the left lane would be stopped to let northbound traffic turn left into c lot. I think it was last year when that got screwed up.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-01-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I have griped about this to UD staff...to no avail. It is ridiculous.

These dip****s getting cars into C let the NB EDC traffic in with no wait...yet the SB EDC traffic is backed up passed the job center and sometimes closer to the heart hospital.

EDC north is clear while traffic is backed up on 75...therefore the DPD cluster F at the end of the highway ramp is the choke point. Stewart Street flows free forever, with nowhere to go because those directing traffic into C constantly stop SB for the dozen NB cars. You are screwed any way you go...either fighting to get off the highway or fighting to move along SB EDC because of the incompetency at the lot. And how many years does the underpass have to be a construction detour? Two turn lanes would make a big difference and all traffic being forced to be in 1 lane.

The worst part exiting is that if you go SB to get on the highway from C, you have to cross all three lanes of EDC to get to the curb lane to NB 75. The cones run almost all the way to the ramp not allowing for any merging room . It is a disaster of a plan and gets worse. No to mention the overhead lighting at Stewart says the right two lanes are right turn only to go across the bridge. That is stupid and causes NB through traffic to unnecessarily merge to a single NB lane...I simply ignore the sign and if more people did it would ease traffic flow.

I have gone 75, EDC, north, south, C lot and A lot...and there are problems with all of them. Exiting is dumb and I go between the cones because of the placement. It is ignorant and they refuse to change it for the better.

It gets worse and worse each year and the bulk of it has to do with no communication with DPD and the security guards. One is stopping when the other is going.

Solution to A...don't let Bonbright Rd or whatever it is have the curb lane. Stop them at the sign accordingly and don't force the EDC A lot to go to lane 2. Let B and C get into the 2 lane earlier and let them safely get to the NB 75. Don't force C lot to use the turn lane to get to 75. Have all 3 lanes going out of C. You've got two lanes each way...use them...3 lanes out...one left, one right, and the middle goes each way. Buses enter in B lot drive and exit C lot. Your emergency in lane is the B lot by the ticket office. Better yet, have the bus pick up and drop off in D lot. Have those patrons and students walk across the parking lot. Buses screw up most of what is going on and those directing traffic give priority to the buses which screws up timing and flow. D lot can only go north. A lot can only go south. B and C can go either way. If you want to go north from A lot you drive around the back of the arena and go out the C or D lot exit.

NASCAR events with 100 times more cars and RV's than a UD game do better and it is because the flow pattern is controlled and set with minimal interruptions due to cross traffic. It is simple, all it takes is someone with a desire to fix it, deal with the initial complaints of not being able to go whatever direction you feel like out of A lot and be done with it.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
before any problem gets fixed, "someone" has to admit they have a problem.... don't think that has happened yet....
Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Relax! It is annoying and can be managed better but still a 1st World problem. All is well.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I don't care about the results, the refs or the cost of beer...the worst part of every home game is getting into and out of the parking lot.