User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Our best lineup last night

Oddly enough, I think our best lineup was with LW and RL in the game at the same time. MJ playing the 3, CW at the 4, and anyone at the 5.

I can't put my finger on why exactly that seemed to work. Possible theories:

1. Our center has 3" and probably 15 pounds on their center and we throw him the ball about thrice.

2. Collapsing defense meant no passing lanes. Had to create space by putting driving lanes to use.

3. CL gave us nothing. There was a hole in the lineup anyway, might as well add a guard.

4. Luke was a deer in headlights. Too bad, we really could have used him last night.

5. That leaves MP, MJ, CJ, PW, LW, ST, and RL to use the minutes. LW and RL (along with MP) seem to have the best game sense in the early going.

Not a bad coaching move to put them both on the court at the same time.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Without that lineup the last part of the game, good chance one goes in the right side of the W/L column. Warren stuck with #3 and foreced him to give it up a few times - and several turnovers.

Think they tried to feed the post more than three times - usually when there was no way in hell to get the ball in a position where anything could be done with it or when there was absolutely no passing lane and a trap would have come. Worst job of feeding the post since 00-01 era.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Little was worthless last night. He doesn't run the offense, takes horrible running, leaning, off-balance shots, dribbles into trouble, can't pass and is lazy on defense. As much as I advocated Little starting last season, I've done a 180. Sit him.

And has anyone on this team ever heard of a bounce pass??? I counted one last night when London tried to hit Wright on the baseline but threw it in front of him and into the student section. That was it. How many times were our weak lob passes simply picked out of the air and turned into a fast break for Wofford? 7? 10?

UGH!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
That was our best Def. lineup. Then at the end, Lowery hit a clutch shot at the end and then 2 FT's to seal it. Nice to see.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Lieutenant

PinehurstFlyer will become famous soon enough
I agree with Rollo about the passing. Geez - that's grade school stuff. These guys throw good hard passes when they warm up, then go to the lazy lobs during the game. A couple of other observations - re. LW, when he was in the game last year BRob was double teamed. This year, the defenses against us will sag big time, taking away our inside game. That will haunt us all year. And the stat that bothered me the most: Steals - Wofford 11 Dayton 6 - and we went small a decent portion of the game. While I'm at it - I liked two point guards in at the same time, but why did we not see this in the exhibitions - isn't that what they are for - to try things out before the real games start? Overall, liked the win but very dissappointed in the play. Looks like we didn't practice one day of half court offense.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
Gotta agree Gazoo...we looked best at those points.

And Rollo, I agree as well, I know it is only the first game, but Little has done this before, he just disappears at times. Maybe we should try him as the 6th man. He filled that role nicely as a sophomore but hasn't been consistent since then.

We obviously have a lot of versatility to play around with line-ups, and I wouldn't put it past BG to see what he can do with different people on the floor in the next couple games.

One last note, maybe we put Chris Johnson in the starting line-up instead of Lowery, basically gives us two big wings at the 3/4 and another decent outside shot as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 AM
1st Lieutenant

UDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura about
would like to see more time from fabrizious, since we could not shoot the ball at all, and paul williams too, he only was in once for about 5 minutes, he could really help our guard play out
Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Pinehurt- just as a quick note, I'm pretty sure London and Lowery were on the court together at least briefly against Capital, but London sat out the Gannon game, so we couldn't get them on the court together for that game.

I think most of the mistakes we made are correctable. We didn't block out, and that can be addressed. We missed a bunch of layups. Those will fall in other games. Even CW missed that monster dunk attempt late in the game. That would have been huge.

I think everyone was just nervous and forgot some of the fundamentals, trying to do too much. I think we'll come out strong on Wednesday night. now if we don't, I'll start to get nervous.
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sea Bass (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
After watching last night it is too bad Benson got hurt. He is by far the versatile big man the Flyers have. Kurt, Devin and Charles really have no way to score outside of 5 feet and Luke is a perimeter player. Benson was the one player that combines ability to score inside and outside.

At the end it looked like BG went with what he thought was his best defensive lineup ... and it made the difference as Wofford really didn't get any good looks in the last 5 minutes.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Furio (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Probably was our best lineup because we got some motion into the offense. Otherwise quite a bit of standing around on the arc waiting to get a pass. We got absolutely zip out of our bench last night. Not sure what was going on but with the exception of Lowery everybody coming off the bench looked lost. Last night is enough for me to not start Charles. Play small ball with Lowery or let CJ get his game legs at that position. Perry shouldn't have played as much as he did, give someone else the opportunity to go 1/5 on wide open looks ... WIDE OPEN. I know people are saying a win is a win, but we're not going to get many more looking that anemic in two key areas ... offensive flow and rebounding. When you turn them over 22 times you should get 30-40 points off of that alone. There were quite a few long rebounds that came off funny but we have got to gobble those loose balls up.

So what was positive?

When we played with energy in the second half we saw how explosive this team potentially could be. They need to find a way to play with that energy for more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the game .... or we lose. Marcus bailed us out time and time again ... he looks like he's in mid-season form. Late in the games sit London down and put in Lowery. He looked confident on the stripe to put the game away. Plus he's got just as good a handle as London in terms of the dribble. Kurt looks quicker this year. We've got to find ways to get him loose when defenses sag and double. CW gives us so much energy and makes teams defend. My only concern with CW is he seems at times to try to break the basket on layups .... put it up there soft CW, soft, think about snuggles .... soft. I think one nice way to get these sagging defenses to quit without relying on jump shots is to bring Kurt up to the high post and iso CW on the same side out on the wing. His first step is so fast and he doesn't need much room. Sorry Kurt you might have to be a decoy for awhile. Team defense was outstanding.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
And has anyone on this team ever heard of a bounce pass??? I counted one last night when London tried to hit Wright on the baseline but threw it in front of him and into the student section. That was it. How many times were our weak lob passes simply picked out of the air and turned into a fast break for Wofford? 7? 10? UGH!
good point rollo. does anyone else remember the beautiful entry bounce passes (with english) brooks hall used to throw KW & Sean Finn from the wing? MEMORIES ... :-)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
And has anyone on this team ever heard of a bounce pass??? I counted one last night when London tried to hit Wright on the baseline but threw it in front of him and into the student section. T
It was an easy pass if London had anticipated the opportunity(which is what good PGs do). But LW lacks the anticipation that good PGs have. Instead he doesn't see it until it actually happens which led to a rushed one handed rocket thrown at the floor(I really don't think it was a bounce pass ... just an out of control bad pass).

When LW plays the point this team will struggle in the half court.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Little was worthless last night. He doesn't run the offense, takes horrible running, leaning, off-balance shots, dribbles into trouble, can't pass and is lazy on defense. As much as I advocated Little starting last season, I've done a 180. Sit him.

And has anyone on this team ever heard of a bounce pass??? I counted one last night when London tried to hit Wright on the baseline but threw it in front of him and into the student section. That was it. How many times were our weak lob passes simply picked out of the air and turned into a fast break for Wofford? 7? 10?

UGH!
I've said for years we are the worst passing team in the country.No effort,no committment,guys always standing around,no dribble drive,etc.Alot has to due with the fact that we have not had an even average PG in all of BG's years except Ramod's senior year,and he,like BROB,was sucking it up for the team as both were 2 guards.