Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
Donoher

I am a little surprised no one has interviewed DD given the run. I would love to get the guys thoughts and perspective on it. I can't imagine a better spokesperson for the school. Anyone has any insight?
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
700 WLW mentioned having him on tonight I thought. Maybe tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I think I heard wednesday.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I heard McCallister say that tonight would be Archie, tomorrow would be Coach Donoher, and Wednesday would be Roosevelt Chapman. Talk about an all-star UD lineup!
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-24-2014), jack72 (03-24-2014), Larymike (03-25-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-24-2014), NYCFLYER (03-25-2014), ohioflyer (03-25-2014), OSU Flyer (03-25-2014), rasta man (03-24-2014), SeasonTicketFan (03-24-2014), Smitty10 (03-24-2014), Tony T 71 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
Donoher tomorrow at 7, Velvet Wednesday at 7. Arch was on tonight.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Yes - I caught the Archie interview tonight. It was a good one. He mentioned he had not spoken to his brother since selection Sunday
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
Donoher on with Lance on 700 tonight at 8:05.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking who Archie wants to talk to

Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
Yes - I caught the Archie interview tonight. It was a good one. He mentioned he had not spoken to his brother since selection Sunday
Posted via Mobile Device
I caught part of an Archie interview last night on TV. He also mentioned that he hadn't talked to Sean. He may a comment to the effect of "It seems like you guys are the only one's I've been talking to for the past couple of day. I haven't talked to anyone that I want to talk to."
It took a second, but then I busted up laughing.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Archie needs to talk to Sean ASAP on the keys to beating Stanford. Getting worried about all the distractions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to bigred For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Archie needs to talk to Sean ASAP on the keys to beating Stanford. Getting worried about all the distractions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh, I'm sure he has or will, but no need mentioning it to them. And hopefully on Friday he can have the same conversation regarding UCLA.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Oh, I'm sure he has or will, but no need mentioning it to them. And hopefully on Friday he can have the same conversation regarding UCLA.
Will he? Do coaches help those outside their conference beat teams in their conference? I can see someone like Matta helping if they had played Stanford earlier in the season but I don't know if Sean really provides any help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I would expect Sean to help but under the notion that Archie will have to lie when asked if his brother provided any help. OR they could be totally up front and say "of course I helped my brother, the only person I would help in this situation"

Last edited by UDBrian; 03-25-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Will he? Do coaches help those outside their conference beat teams in their conference? I can see someone like Matta helping if they had played Stanford earlier in the season but I don't know if Sean really provides any help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, when it comes to brothers, I imagine that changes things. And maybe dad will push him to. Doesn't mean he will or won't. But I'm sure Archie knows if he would or wouldn't and if he would, why not? And the other part relates to Archie saying he hasn't talked to his brother, so even if Sean did help him, it would never be made public.

If I didn't have some bitter feud with my brother(not saying a bitter feud exists with me but that's the only way I wouldn't), I think I'd give him the help if he asked whether it's conference etiquette or not.

Oh and one other thing, having 2 brothers play in the elite 8, the final 4, and especially the championship game, well that would be very lucrative for all involved family wise.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-25-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I would expect Sean to help but under the notion that Archie will have to lie when asked if his brother provided any help. OR they could be totally up front and say "of course I helped my brother, the only person I would help in this situation"
Hey, if Sean helps Arch get through Stanford and UCLA, if we wind up playing Arizona, Arch can go to Stanford and UCLA's coaches and say "now here's your chance to get back at him!!!" We got the advantage
Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I read a quote from Archie that he had not TALKED to Sean, but they had been texting. That sounds logical, and I'm sure after watching film (which will probably include Stanford vs AZ), if Archie has any questions or wants Sean's opinion, they will communicate.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
We'll get right on that. I'm sure it might just dawn on AM in the next 24 hours.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
I listened to Lance's interview with Don Donoher. He spoke so warmly about Archie, this year's team, and of course the '84 team. He was, and continues to be, a class act. When asked about Chapman he, of course, told of how Rosie had a way of maneuvering through the "tall trees". But he also said that Chapman had a great team around him.

He drew a comparison between his '84 squad and this one by saying that both of them had been left for dead at midseason. In '84 he said they "tried some different things" before hitting on a combination that worked. He then reminded Lance that this year's squad started off 1-5 in conference play before turning it around.

The most surprising, bold comment I heard from him was that he feels this team really does have a chance to win it all (which he brought up, not Lance). He said that this is due to the parity in today's game which he felt didn't exist back in the 60's and 70's. He mentioned how Walton was a senior in '74, then 10 years after that Ewing was a senior. It's the one-and-done NBA players that help contribute to the parity that has pervaded today's game.

He is a huge fan of Archie's and so is his grandson who is a Grad Assistant on the team. He also credits Tim Wabler and the administration for making a great hire.

He was asked if he goes to games. He said he has season tickets "up in the nosebleeds" which he likes because they turn down the lights and he can be a regular fan. Would you expect anything else from such a humble human being as this?

Lance asked him if he had one game that stuck out most in his memory. I think the question was in context of his coaching years but, regardless, his answer was in reference to a game he coached. He chose the 1967 National Semifinal win over North Carolina. He admitted that the Flyers were lucky to get to that point in the Tournament with Overtime wins and one-point wins. But, in part due to Don May's 13-13 shooting exhibition, he felt they played their best game that day. He then noted how they didn't play so hot the next day against UCLA and how his players "came up to Alcindor's chest".

He was asked if he ever thought of leaving UD in his 25-year career as head coach. He said "No" and didn't even reference the Navy opening. He mentioned something to the affect that he figured that instead of leaving the job he knew that one day the job would leave him. There wasn't a trace of bitterness or sadness in his voice.

Lance concluded by asking him how he keeps busy these days.He referenced the grandkids' school and helping the high school coach in Middletown by looking at video and working with the kids. He said his second main occupation these days is "avoiding birthdays." He said that the two worst words in the English language are "Happy Birthday". Great way to end a fantastic interview with one of the classiest acts to come down I-75 in a long, long time.
27 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-26-2014), anthonycharles (03-26-2014), Bob G (03-26-2014), bobber (03-26-2014), Bonziflyer (03-26-2014), CJ2etc (03-26-2014), DickB 309 (03-26-2014), Figgie123 (03-26-2014), frisco flyer (03-26-2014), Glen Clark (03-26-2014), IAFlyer (03-26-2014), JimBo (03-26-2014), John C. (03-26-2014), jumpin' joe (03-26-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-26-2014), OSU Flyer (03-26-2014), priceg75 (03-26-2014), runnerup (03-26-2014), Runnin' Rebel (03-26-2014), shocka43 (03-26-2014), singlet_of_truth (03-26-2014), Smitty10 (03-26-2014), The Fly (03-26-2014), TMPH66 (03-26-2014), UACFlyer (03-26-2014), vfly (03-26-2014), westchesterflyer (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Redbengal, I listened too and you covered it well. I remembered when he spoke at the rally after the NIT Championship in 2010 in the Fieldhouse, He was downright talkative, almost a cheerleader. I thought,"This is not the Don Donoher I remember from the late 60's when I was in school." But then, he was in his 30"s, an intense young coach focused on his team...sounds kind of familiar.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
The day that I interviewed Don about a decade ago was one of the best of my life. It took me a while to convince him to do it but he eventually agreed to a one hour meeting at his house. The one hour interviewed turned into four hours of a complete download of his 30+ years as a Flyer. It was amazing.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
1st Lieutenant

Hoop It Up is a name known to allHoop It Up is a name known to allHoop It Up is a name known to allHoop It Up is a name known to allHoop It Up is a name known to allHoop It Up is a name known to all
Tune in to Fox 45 tonight at 10... You'll see an interview with Don Donoher. They actually had a nice interview with Ed Young last night, talking about "the shot" as well as a sit down with the man behind Rudy Flyer.
Mad Props to Hoop It Up For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

DickB 309 has a spectacular aura aboutDickB 309 has a spectacular aura about
Lance McAllister Podcast: Don Donoher (and Pete Rose)

I agree that redbengal did an excellent job of covering Donoher on Lance's show on WLW last night. You can hear it in the first twelve minutes of this podcast:

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/lance-36...oher-12190875/

If you're a Pete Rose fan, the second part is pretty interesting too.
Mad Props to DickB 309 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Just off the Jet

PJN68 is infamous around these partsPJN68 is infamous around these parts
Dick thank you so much for posting the podcast I can't tell how much I enjoyed hearing the old Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
I had the opportunity many many years ago to be coached by Coach Donoher in what was a scrimmage. He was the Varsity Coach at Miami Valley HS and I played JV for a quality local high school program which had many good coaches, including my JV coach. My JV coach was smart enought before the scrimmage to tell us they wouldn't be hearing anything from him today, we would have the luxury of being coached a living legend, Mr. Don Donoher. Needless to say, I absorbed everything Coach Donoher told me and us as a team. We were much better than Miami Valley, beating them by at least 20-25 pts in each of 6 different quarters, but the fact I had the privilege of Coach Donoher showing me pointers on the game of basketball will be something I will never forget. Truly a living legend.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I would hope Archie found a way to let DD address this year's team at some point on this journey.