User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-31-2020, 09:26 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Mustapha

We've seen plenty of freshmen have a great first game and we start thinking "can we keep this kid in the program for 2 years, or is he going to the NBA??"

Like, all of the freshmen this has happened to.

But I think Mustapha is really special. (I'M A G**D*** GENIUS, I know.) Here's why.

1. At 6'10" (I think he's really 6'9"), on multiple occasions he moved his feet well enough to guard guys 6'1". Obi is the only guy I've seen do that in the last 20 years in this program. I mean, he really, really moved his feet and played defense.

2. His demeanor was AWESOME. Didn't look at the refs for calls, didn't panic with the ball in the middle of traffic, didn't get upset when things didn't go his way. He grabbed a rebound and very calmly just started moving through traffic, until it was appropriate to find a guard and then he gave it up.

3. His shot has beautiful rotation, and he has great balance.

4. You can't teach 6'10".

5. He scored 22 points and never forced a shot, except the one his teammates forced him to shoot as the shot clock expired.

6. In his first game after playing against high school kids a few weeks ago his teammates were actually looking for him as a primary option. It's not just me, the senior guards can plainly see this kid's a baller.

7. Court awareness. The thing I noticed about Obi even when he was struggling was that he had great court awareness. Jordy and Sissoko will never have it, God bless them, but they have tunnel vision. Obi had that ability for the game to slow down around him and see the whole court, the whole play developing, and then the athleticism to convert on what you see. You can't teach it. Mustapha has it. And it makes ALL the difference.

Lots of guys had pieces. Mikesell had the court awareness, but not the shooting / strength. Chris Wright had the ungodly athleticism, but not the court awareness and shooting. Marcus Johnson had athleticism, but was undersized and didn't shoot well enough. SSmith had sneaky finishing ability and big play ice in his veins, but undersized.

Mustapha has "it". All of it.
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (12-31-2020), CJ2etc (12-31-2020), Flyer 86 (12-31-2020), Fudd (12-31-2020), fuz_forward (12-31-2020), Jeff (12-31-2020), NYCFLYER (12-31-2020), pmcmullen (12-31-2020), Radar (12-31-2020), SC_Flyer (12-31-2020), SLUFLYER (12-31-2020), udflyerfan (12-31-2020)
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2020, 09:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

OregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really nice
Mustapha

"6. In his first game after playing against high school kids a few weeks ago his teammates were actually looking for him as a primary option. It's not just me, the senior guards can plainly see this kid's a baller."

Hasn't he had some post HS and International experience?
Old 12-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I commented in the game thread last night that Amzil was considered our lowest recruit among the four recruits this fall. If that is truly the case this team will be stacked the next few years. That said, I think Amzil did not get the rating he deserved because he is a non traditional recruit.

On a different topic, I thought Brea played pretty well in the minutes he was on the floor.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
On a different topic, I thought Brea played pretty well in the minutes he was on the floor.
I'm not sure if he played pretty well or not but he did play confidently which was nice to see.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
udflyerfan (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:15 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OregonMike View Post
"6. In his first game after playing against high school kids a few weeks ago his teammates were actually looking for him as a primary option. It's not just me, the senior guards can plainly see this kid's a baller."

Hasn't he had some post HS and International experience?
He did play for the Finland National team, but I don’t believe he ever played post grad. He was to play for the First Love team in PA but decided to come here instead.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-31-2020), funeralplanner (01-02-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I commented in the game thread last night that Amzil was considered our lowest recruit among the four recruits this fall. If that is truly the case this team will be stacked the next few years. That said, I think Amzil did not get the rating he deserved because he is a non traditional recruit.

Yes, our main weakness (other than the guards turning the ball over) is our inside play. Next year we will have Amzil, Holmes and Washington, all between 6’7” and 6’9” who can all handle the ball and shoot it. The future is very bright.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
udflyerfan (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:32 AM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
And now we have another open scholarship for next year !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2020, 11:02 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,608 Times in 694 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Yes, our main weakness (other than the guards turning the ball over) is our inside play. Next year we will have Amzil, Holmes and Washington, all between 6’7” and 6’9” who can all handle the ball and shoot it. The future is very bright.
We are a very young team and with the loss of Chase, just got even younger. It’s important that we all remember there are currently six freshman on this team (Amzil, Sissoko, Brea, Blakney, Zimi, and Frazier). Next year, we have 3 coming in with the possibility of another player added due to an open scholarship with Chase’s departure.

TA111 is right, the future is very bright.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Lots of guys had pieces. Mikesell had the court awareness, but not the shooting / strength. Chris Wright had the ungodly athleticism, but not the court awareness and shooting. Marcus Johnson had athleticism, but was undersized and didn't shoot well enough. SSmith had sneaky finishing ability and big play ice in his veins, but undersized.

Never did I think I would read on this board that Sammy Smith had sneaky finishing ability and big play ice in his veins. But if you say so.........

I can confirm that he was at least sneaky
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cleve (01-03-2021), m21eagle45 (12-31-2020), PerrymanFan (12-31-2020), pmcmullen (12-31-2020), springborofan (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:09 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Brea looked pretty good. If nothing else, composed and confident.

I also thought it was a bit of a break out for Sissoko, too. For the first time, he seemed to fit into the game way more. And geez is he ripped!
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-31-2020), Fudd (12-31-2020), Graphicsguy (12-31-2020), Jeff (12-31-2020), Monster Man (12-31-2020), Radar (12-31-2020), udflyerfan (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:33 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
We've seen plenty of freshmen have a great first game and we start thinking "can we keep this kid in the program for 2 years, or is he going to the NBA??"

Like, all of the freshmen this has happened to.

But I think Mustapha is really special. (I'M A G**D*** GENIUS, I know.) Here's why.

1. At 6'10" (I think he's really 6'9"), on multiple occasions he moved his feet well enough to guard guys 6'1". Obi is the only guy I've seen do that in the last 20 years in this program. I mean, he really, really moved his feet and played defense.

2. His demeanor was AWESOME. Didn't look at the refs for calls, didn't panic with the ball in the middle of traffic, didn't get upset when things didn't go his way. He grabbed a rebound and very calmly just started moving through traffic, until it was appropriate to find a guard and then he gave it up.

3. His shot has beautiful rotation, and he has great balance.

4. You can't teach 6'10".

5. He scored 22 points and never forced a shot, except the one his teammates forced him to shoot as the shot clock expired.

6. In his first game after playing against high school kids a few weeks ago his teammates were actually looking for him as a primary option. It's not just me, the senior guards can plainly see this kid's a baller.

7. Court awareness. The thing I noticed about Obi even when he was struggling was that he had great court awareness. Jordy and Sissoko will never have it, God bless them, but they have tunnel vision. Obi had that ability for the game to slow down around him and see the whole court, the whole play developing, and then the athleticism to convert on what you see. You can't teach it. Mustapha has it. And it makes ALL the difference.

He plays with great fundamentals similar to many European players. You could see how kids with his attributes end up at Gonzaga and why they are successful. I hope his traits rub off on the other players.

If I could offer #8, he has a really soft touch around the hoop. His bunnies dont rattle out like Jordy's or Mo's.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Graphicsguy (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Never did I think I would read on this board that Sammy Smith had sneaky finishing ability and big play ice in his veins. But if you say so.........

I can confirm that he was at least sneaky

That would be Scoochie Smith.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
That would be Scoochie Smith.
Don't go ruining my fun.......
Old 12-31-2020, 02:36 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if this information can be found but I wonder if that's one of the best performances in NCAA history for a freshman that enrolled mid year
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:42 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Mustapha has all-around game. He is like Obi without the ability to jam anything that is lobbed within 10 feet of the basket. I almost can't believe he is a freshman. What a great shooter, and you can tell he is well schooled in the fundamentals. You can build a program around guys like that.

We've been struggling this year to figure out who we are as a team. The offense does not flow as easily without the National Player of the Year putting stress on defenses no matter where he was on the court. LaSalle stifled our ball movement by extending pressure out 10 feet beyond the arc. Last year, we would have made them pay with lobs over the top to Obi. Guards can't do it themselves against teams who play well. We are going to have to figure out the best tactical use of a guy as talented as Mustapha to take pressure off of the guards. He has the potential to make UD a lot less one-dimensional.

I was very pleased with Sissoko's development. We really need that rebounding and physicality. It's tough when he or Jordy get matched up with bigs who can shoot from the perimeter though. They don't have the foot speed to deal with switches, etc. I miss Mr. Versatility, Trey Landers. He could defend a guard or even a big well. He made our "switching defense" very effective. Mikesell had that defensive versatility as well.

Last edited by Fudd; 12-31-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Old 12-31-2020, 03:10 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
the thing that impressed is that he didn't seem to force anything and after being here for a short time he didn't look like his was out of position or confused
Old 12-31-2020, 04:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I guess he blows up the theory that you need months of training to be able to contribute as a freshman.
Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Well, I guess he blows up the theory that you need months of training to be able to contribute as a freshman.
MA blows up a lot of theories, such as;
1) you need to learn as a freshman to play defense; check
2) you need to adapt to the quickness of the college game; check
3) a long non-competitive layoff will kill your game (No, it didn’t); check
4) you need the competition in the US to be good (hell no); check
5) i think you can see he already brings a lot to the table, rumors were true; he’s a baller - check
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-01-2021), John C. (12-31-2020), NYCFLYER (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
You Must Be Kidding

You did not notice that LaSalle scored on 20 straight possessions in the second half? Dayton will lose more than half of their A-10 games with the poor defense played against LaSalle.
Every offensive player that represents Dayton must learn to play competent defense or sit next to the coach on the bench until he does. But for the announcement of Chase Johnson that is where Moose would have been against LaSalle. Should the same defense show up Saturday George Mason will beat Dayton.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
You did not notice that LaSalle scored on 20 straight possessions in the second half? Dayton will lose more than half of their A-10 games with the poor defense played against LaSalle.
Every offensive player that represents Dayton must learn to play competent defense or sit next to the coach on the bench until he does. But for the announcement of Chase Johnson that is where Moose would have been against LaSalle. Should the same defense show up Saturday George Mason will beat Dayton.
I did not realize that LaSalle scored on 20 straight possessions in the second half but I do remember going on a tirade which would make Chevy Chase's tirade in the movie Christmas Vacation when he received a subscription to the jelly of the month club seem like childs play! The defense (or the lack thereof) that the Flyers were playing was enough to ****off the Pope! I promise you no one was looking forward to Anthony Grant's film session! Mustapha was probably the only one who didn't get chewed out!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:39 PM
General

Some of this is that fact he appears to be pretty **** good

99.9% of freshman aren't parachuting in with less than two weeks and coming out like that

There's always an exception to the rule

Last edited by OSU Flyer; 12-31-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Jeff (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:49 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Watching the beginning of the game I thought he was a little unsure , but when that first bucket went in he was like this is why I’m here and boom nothing but confidence!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to soccergod For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Was fairly impressed when, early in the first half, he knew when to sag off his man and when to contest the perimeter. Showed good court presence. A very bright spot in an otherwise dismal outing for our Flyers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2020, 07:20 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
CAG was more guarded than complementary in his comments about MA in the postgame interview. I was actually taken aback a little bit.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:00 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Mustapha compares to Tre Mitchell of last season. Still getting used to things, but a star in the making.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:07 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
CAG was more guarded than complementary in his comments about MA in the postgame interview. I was actually taken aback a little bit.
Coach Grant loves Chatman and constantly sings his praises on defense. At some point, however, he needs to pull the plug on him handling the point.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:11 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Keep reminding yourself: he's 6-10 and could easily carry 30 more L-Bees on his frame.

Lets give him some breathing room to grow up, learn the system, practice, make mistakes, and get better. Last thing he needs is a tag pinned to him 36 minutes into his college career.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-03-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:13 PM
General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Keep reminding yourself: he's 6-10 and could easily carry 30 more L-Bees on his frame.

Lets give him some breathing room to grow up, learn the system, practice, make mistakes, and get better. Last thing he needs is a tag pinned to him 36 minutes into his college career.
so a more athletic Dirk Nowitzki who's a better shooter and rebounder isn't the way to go?
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:59 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
I agree. He did mess up a couple of times (no block out on a rebound, one bad pass). But compared to the other guys, he was all world. I think there was a reason CAG didn't go wild -- let's see what the next game brings.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sid Louick For This Totally Excellent Post:
udflyerfan (01-01-2021), UDTradition (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 AM
General of the Air Force

Maybe the most impressive part of his game was his conditioning. He hadn’t played in a game in almost a full year and played 36 minutes. It generally takes a while to get your “game” legs. Also, I didn’t realize it but he scored 17 consecutive points between the end of the first half and the start of the second.
Gazoo (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:14 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
You did not notice that LaSalle scored on 20 straight possessions in the second half?
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I did not realize that LaSalle scored on 20 straight possessions in the second half
It didn't happen.

From 18:14 to 16:00 they had 4 straight scoring possessions before a missed 3 at 15:09.

Then at 14:02 they hit a 3 ptr and a jumper at 13:24 before missing 2 free throws at 12:44.

At 12:23 they get a layup, then 2 jumpers, a 3ptr, and a layup at 9:30 before missing a 3 ptr, but then getting fouled on the offensive rebound with they then make 2 free throws. A layup at 8:17 ends the streak before they miss a jumper and followup layup at 7:31. That would be 7 straight possessions.

That puts them at 60 points leading 60-54. They score 7 more points the rest of the way.
  • 7:31 - the missed jumper and the missed followup layup
  • 6:49 - turnover
  • 6:15 - made 3 ptr
  • 5:23 - 2 missed jumpers
  • 4:30 - turnover
  • 3:58 - missed jumper
  • 3:11 - missed 3 ptr
  • 2:34 - 2 made free throws
  • 1:58 - turnover
  • 1:28 - missed 3 ptr
  • 0:56 - turnover
  • 0:02 - made jumper

A 6 pt lead and going 1-6 from 2pt land, 1-3 from 3pt land, 2 made free throws, and 4 turnovers, and they still win by 2.

Figgie
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (01-01-2021), Glen Clark (01-01-2021), Monster Man (01-01-2021), San Diego Flyer (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
We are a very young team and with the loss of Chase, just got even younger. It’s important that we all remember there are currently six freshman on this team (Amzil, Sissoko, Brea, Blakney, Zimi, and Frazier). Next year, we have 3 coming in with the possibility of another player added due to an open scholarship with Chase’s departure.

TA111 is right, the future is very bright.
We start 2 fifth year seniors, a grad student and and another senior. Few if any other squads are as old in minutes played as UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2021, 10:41 AM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Uh, Ibi? I just don't see how CAG sits him. CAG loves Ibi's offense.

However, perhaps cutting back on his minutes might nudge him a little.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:41 AM
General

More underdeveloped players like this, please!
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:54 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We are used to seeing 2 star and 3 star players as freshman. Mustapha is what a true 4+ star or 5 star comes in as. We were lucky to get him, because he is the type that goes to Zaga or Duke or KY. Kudos to the coaching staff!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-01-2021), Flyer 86 (01-01-2021), Gazoo (01-01-2021), PalmBeachFlyer (01-01-2021), San Diego Flyer (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
We are used to seeing 2 star and 3 star players as freshman. Mustapha is what a true 4+ star or 5 star comes in as. We were lucky to get him, because he is the type that goes to Zaga or Duke or KY. Kudos to the coaching staff!
Now we know why he received 15+ offers from P5 schools just a few days after coming to the states. It doesn’t take that long to get a sense of a kid’s bball IQ and Mustapha has a high IQ.
fuz_forward (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
After just two games, I'm not afraid to say that Amzil is legit. If you just look at the stats, you can't get the full picture. The guy is doing something good on nearly every trip down the court. The defense and rebounding is nice too. The guy can play. He has good body control and plays within himself. We almost cannot afford not to have him on the floor as much as possible.

I do see some good things in the rest of the newbies too. Give them some seasoning. I see more talent there.

It usually takes us 10 games into the regular season (even with a full pre-season and practices) to start to settle into who we really are and to get the new guys enough floor time to figure it out. I think we will be halfway through the conference season before we get there this year.

Last edited by Fudd; 01-02-2021 at 11:13 PM..
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
shwag33 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:47 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Mus plays a little like a young Detlef Schrempf (for the old farts in the crowd). A tall, lean, but solid Forward, who knows the fundamentals. Very glad he’s a Flyer, and looking forward to seeing his growth over the next few years.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-02-2021), Flyer 86 (01-02-2021), frisco flyer (01-02-2021), NYCFLYER (01-02-2021), upperarlingtonflyer (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 07:10 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
After just two games, I'm not afraid to say that Amzil is legit. If you just look at the stats, you can't get the full picture. The guy is doing something good on nearly every trip down the court. The defense and rebounding is nice too. The guy can play. He has good body control and plays within himself. We almost cannot afford not to have him on the floor as much as possible.

I do see some good things in the rest of the newbies too. Give them some seasoning. I see more talent there.

This guy is gonna fill up the entire stat box..

3 steals. Assists like it's nothing.

I'm also high on most of the rest.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

PalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nice
If MA is an example of talent coming in next year I may move back to Dayton in the winter...I think JC returns next year.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PalmBeachFlyer View Post
If MA is an example of talent coming in next year I may move back to Dayton in the winter...I think JC returns next year.
Wanna bet on that last part?
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:07 PM
Captain

I agree JC gonna make some money somewhere next year !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2021, 09:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
He was the only Flyer with a steal today.

I can't help but be reminded of Archie's team the year after the Elite 8 run. Down to 6 scholarship players + Bobby Wherli (who was later given one). The difference of course being that was one solid unit who had played together already. This year it is similar in that we literally don't have bodies, but who plays each night shifts dramatically.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Mus plays a little like a young Detlef Schrempf (for the old farts in the crowd). A tall, lean, but solid Forward, who knows the fundamentals. Very glad he’s a Flyer, and looking forward to seeing his growth over the next few years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mavs fan here. I haven't forgiven them for passing on Carl Malone in the draft to take Detlef. Detlef was good, but Carl was later to become an all-star. But I would be thrilled if Mustapha was being compared to Detlef two years from now.
Flyer 86 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn’t the Flyers beat Schrempf on the way to the E8 in ‘84?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-03-2021), frisco flyer (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Wake up Figgie, this is your dept.
Figgie123 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Yes, Mar. 23. 1984
Dayton 64 Washington 58
Chapman 22 pt, Schrempf 18 pt
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-03-2021), Cleve (01-03-2021), Figgie123 (01-03-2021), jack72 (01-03-2021), longtimefan67 (01-04-2021), rollo (01-03-2021), San Diego Flyer (01-03-2021), SeasonTicketFan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
I’d like to see his growth getting him closer to Dirk Nowitzki territory...
Old 01-03-2021, 10:00 AM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Yes, Mar. 23. 1984
Dayton 64 Washington 58
Then the Flyers beat Wayman Tisdale's Oklahoma team in the next game if I'm not mistaken.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by foolishpride View Post
Then the Flyers beat Wayman Tisdale's Oklahoma team in the next game if I'm not mistaken.
No, it was the other way around. We beat Oklahoma to make it to the Sweet Sixteen, and Washington to make it to the Elite Eight. I know, because I was a Senior in the Pep Band, who couldn’t travel with the team to Salt Lake City because I had a mid-term in Auditing that I needed to pass to graduate on-time, and an interview with NCR that could have gotten me a good-paying job right out of school. The following week, after the Oklahoma win, I had no such restrictions, so I was able to travel with the team to LaLa Land for the games against Washington and Georgetown.

Looking back, I should have gone to Salt Lake, as I still wound-up with a “C” in Auditing, and I didn’t get the job with NCR, but my friends who went on the Salt Lake trip had memories to last a lifetime.
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-03-2021), foolishpride (01-03-2021), longtimefan67 (01-04-2021), rollo (01-03-2021), SeasonTicketFan (01-03-2021), SLUFLYER (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Yes, Mar. 23. 1984
Dayton 64 Washington 58
And I had a seat, 3 rows off the court, in the Pep Band, to witness Velvet and Schrempf trying to guard one another. Schrempf and his 7’0” teammate Christian Welp, were known as The Berlin Wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (01-03-2021), SeasonTicketFan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Major

Buster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud of
Top Freshmen

Watching UD lose to LaSalle while taking in Mustapha's first game as a flyer. I could not stop thinking of the JOB days and our collective excitement of Chip Hare's first season.
Fortunately I think we are in a much better place than we were in 1992.

Interesting look back by Jablo.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...zIyf2s0NIxIWK/
Mad Props to Buster For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I see him as a Mikesell type player but with a higher upside in that he appears to have the total package. He may or may not be great at anything but looks to be good at everything - no apparent holes.

It was great seeing him vocal already and even better playing traffic cop on D like Mikesell was great at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2021, 12:57 PM
General

frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I loved Mikesell but Mustapha has a much higher ceiling and NBA potential. Size and athleticism can’t be thought, and his basketball skills/fundamentals are well developed for someone at this stage of their playing career. If he keeps working hard on his game, it’s going to be fun watching him mature into a legitimate pro prospect.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-03-2021), jack72 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:01 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
I see him as a Mikesell type player but with a higher upside in that he appears to have the total package. He may or may not be great at anything but looks to be good at everything - no apparent holes.

It was great seeing him vocal already and even better playing traffic cop on D like Mikesell was great at.
Posted via Mobile Device
He has much more of a scorers mentality than Mikesell and seems to be able to score at all three levels. I was a bit surprised yesterday that we didn't seem him with the ball in the post because there were a few times he was covered by a smaller player. In the Lasalle game he showed he can score from the post.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Who is the last UD freshman to score 15+ points in each of his first two games?

I remember Mikesell and Wright going for 20+ in their first game, but neither followed it up with even 10+ in their second game.

Mikesell scored 21 in his debut and never went for 10+ the rest of his frosh season.

Chris Wright went 22, 5, 26 in his first three so Anzil will need 16pts next game to match CW's 3 game start.

Tony Stanley came to mind as a possibility, but the game logs at sports-reference.com don't go back that far so I couldn't find his game-by-game scoring.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:33 PM
General

A couple of times yesterday, Mustapha stopped and popped going hard to the basket, and he scored both times. Many a time, I have seen us commit offensive fouls in the past and squander the scoring opportunity. Mustapha stopped just short of the defensive player, elevated and made the shot. He exercised body control and a soft touch that I thought were very impressive.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-03-2021), hawkoooo (01-04-2021), steverino015 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:37 PM
General

Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
Who is the last UD freshman to score 15+ points in each of his first two games?

I remember Mikesell and Wright going for 20+ in their first game, but neither followed it up with even 10+ in their second game.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...INDKADTYGM3RM/

The last player to score 37 points in his first two games for the Flyers was Obi Toppin, who had 18 and 19 against Coppin State and North Florida, respectively, in 2018.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (01-03-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-03-2021), longtimefan67 (01-04-2021), SC_Flyer (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute

The last player to score 37 points in his first two games for the Flyers was Obi Toppin, who had 18 and 19 against Coppin State and North Florida, respectively, in 2018.
Of course. Obi was the obvious answer that I somehow forgot about.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Mustapha has some tall friends.......
Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Mustapha has some tall friends.......
Second that thought.

They could be the Fin Fam(ily) Flyers !
Old 01-03-2021, 06:16 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Again, wait until he adds 25lbs. He reminds me of a Gonzaga post player.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-04-2021), steverino015 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:40 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute

I should have posted this last night...

Since the 2000-01 season, most points in first 2 games as a Flyer
Code:

get_player_info  | gmcnt | pts | twogmavg | ranking | careeravg 
-------------------+-------+-----+----------+---------+-----------
 Mustapha Amzil    |     2 |  37 |    18.50 |       1 |     18.50
 Obi Toppin        |     2 |  37 |    18.50 |       1 |     17.13
 Vee Sanford       |     2 |  31 |    15.50 |       3 |     10.81
 Marcus Johnson    |     2 |  30 |    15.00 |       4 |      9.53
 Charles Cooke     |     2 |  28 |    14.00 |       5 |     15.69
 Chris Wright      |     2 |  27 |    13.50 |       6 |     13.02
 Rodney Chatman    |     2 |  26 |    13.00 |       7 |      8.08
 Josh Cunningham   |     2 |  25 |    12.50 |       8 |     13.21
 Ryan Mikesell     |     2 |  24 |    12.00 |       9 |      7.18
 Jordan Sibert     |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |     14.11
 Monty Scott       |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |      9.50
 Keith Waleskowski |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |     11.74
If he scores 0 points in his next game, the 37 points will be 6th most since 00-01 season. He would need 16 to tie Chris Wright with 53 points in first 3 games.

Stats provided by Figstats
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-03-2021), Bonziflyer (01-04-2021), Chris R (01-03-2021), frisco flyer (01-04-2021), Gazoo (01-04-2021), Glen Clark (01-03-2021), Ready Action (01-04-2021), SC_Flyer (01-04-2021), steverino015 (01-04-2021), superfan99 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
He plays with great fundamentals similar to many European players. You could see how kids with his attributes end up at Gonzaga and why they are successful. I hope his traits rub off on the other players.

If I could offer #8, he has a really soft touch around the hoop. His bunnies dont rattle out like Jordy's or Mo's.
A couple decades ago (sadly, a true statement) I knew the guy who was in charge of youth programs for the Dallas Mavericks. He would go to Europe and integrate with youth teams across the pond. He said hands down the biggest difference in Euro ball at that level was the following. He said kids spend their weekends in the gym working on fundamentals. In the US, kids of the same age spend their weekends sitting on bleachers in gyms waiting to play their next game. Some play 4-5 games every weekend. They spend more time waiting for games to start than working on fundamentals during a week.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-04-2021), John C. (01-03-2021), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-03-2021), springborofan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:28 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
I should have posted this last night...

Since the 2000-01 season, most points in first 2 games as a Flyer
Code:

get_player_info  | gmcnt | pts | twogmavg | ranking | careeravg 
-------------------+-------+-----+----------+---------+-----------
 Mustapha Amzil    |     2 |  37 |    18.50 |       1 |     18.50
 Obi Toppin        |     2 |  37 |    18.50 |       1 |     17.13
 Vee Sanford       |     2 |  31 |    15.50 |       3 |     10.81
 Marcus Johnson    |     2 |  30 |    15.00 |       4 |      9.53
 Charles Cooke     |     2 |  28 |    14.00 |       5 |     15.69
 Chris Wright      |     2 |  27 |    13.50 |       6 |     13.02
 Rodney Chatman    |     2 |  26 |    13.00 |       7 |      8.08
 Josh Cunningham   |     2 |  25 |    12.50 |       8 |     13.21
 Ryan Mikesell     |     2 |  24 |    12.00 |       9 |      7.18
 Jordan Sibert     |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |     14.11
 Monty Scott       |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |      9.50
 Keith Waleskowski |     2 |  22 |    11.00 |      10 |     11.74
If he scores 0 points in his next game, the 37 points will be 6th most since 00-01 season. He would need 16 to tie Chris Wright with 53 points in first 3 games.

Stats provided by Figstats
Well, as far as two games go, he's in a class by himself since he was a true freshman and on top of that, only practiced 3 times and probably didn't even know the full names of some of his teammates.
Alberto Strasse (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:50 PM

I loved Mikesell but Mustapha has a much higher ceiling and NBA potential. Size and athleticism can’t be thought, and his basketball skills/fundamentals are well developed for someone at this stage of their playing career. If he keeps working hard on his game, it’s going to be fun watching him mature into a legitimate pro prospect.
Brooks Hall?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Amzil is quickly becoming one of my favorite Flyers of all time. Watch the way he moves his feet on defense. Very solid fundamentals. I think he could take over a game if he decided to, but he appears to be a team first kind of guy. Wait till he learns all the names of his teammates! I see a great career unfolding. If he continues to play like his first two games then first team all conference is not a stretch this year already.

Imagine he and Holmes together next year! It's a great day to be a Flyer.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Brigadier General

So...I’ve been hesitant to post this because I don’t want to get too far in front of my skis. But, what the hell, my Browns are in the playoffs for the first time in 18 years and I’ve celebrated a little today.

If (big if), Amzil plays his entire college eligibility, he may end up as a top 3 scorer all time. I know that is a little outrageous but hear me out. His eligibility will span 4 years + 20 games. If he scores 250 points (average 12-13ppg) this season he has a 250 point head start on any other player.

Some of the most prolific scorers in UD history only averaged 10-12 points their first season which equals maybe 400 points. He would have a huge head start. He seems to be an efficient offensive player. As Chris stated, wait until he gains another 15-20 lbs! It’s not unreasonable to expect him to average 10-12 next year as well. Now he has +/-600 points with three years of eligibility left. Averaging 15 points a game for 100 additional games gets him to 2100 (600+1500) points—well within striking distance of Chapman.

A whole lot of assumptions built in. He doesn’t get hurt, he doesn’t go for 22ppg after his third year and goes pro, he doesn’t regress, etc, etc,etc.

As I said, several beers after the Browns clinching a playofff spot leads one to dream...
Old 01-04-2021, 08:55 AM
General

The implication is 15-20 pounds of muscle of course. He's actually just a tad doughy right now. Not fat or out of shape, just not the kind of cut athlete he will become. I could see him dropping 10 pounds of dough and gaining 25 pounds of muscle. What a beast that would be.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:30 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Well, as far as two games go, he's in a class by himself since he was a true freshman and on top of that, only practiced 3 times and probably didn't even know the full names of some of his teammates.
When I started going down this road, I expected to see some players on here that could easily be used as fodder. All of the players in that top 10 list gave something to the team over their time at UD, and they weren't the ones that transferred out.

Of course, different times and different scenario in the works. If Chase was still here, or if RJ was healthy, would Amzil have still put up those numbers? Who knows.

Figgie
Old 01-04-2021, 02:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton sweeps Rookie of the Week Awards
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...E3VLVFYNWR67U/
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (01-04-2021), frisco flyer (01-04-2021), fuz_forward (01-04-2021), SC_Flyer (01-04-2021), steverino015 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Also, I didn’t realize it but he scored 17 consecutive points between the end of the first half and the start of the second.
I might be able to do that too; since the rest of the players are probably in the locker room there probably is not much defense.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (01-05-2021), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-04-2021), CT Flyer (01-04-2021), CvilleFlyer (01-04-2021), flyerfanatic86 (01-05-2021), mikeymo85 (01-04-2021), rollo (01-04-2021), SLUFLYER (01-04-2021), Sticks 'n Stearns (01-04-2021), superfan99 (01-04-2021), TA111 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Of course, different times and different scenario in the works. If Chase was still here, or if RJ was healthy, would Amzil have still put up those numbers? Who knows.

Figgie
He may not have but I get the feeling that AG had a pretty good inkling what he was getting and that he was game ready. I think even if Chase was still here he was going to log minutes right away.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:24 PM
General

he's crafty scorer. Pull ups, floaters, post moves. He's not one trick when it comes to scoring. He can baskets in a lot of different ways

This is what sticks out to me. Developed offensive game you don't see out of freshman
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (01-05-2021), steverino015 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
and he has practiced for one week. Very impressive.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
I might be able to do that too; since the rest of the players are probably in the locker room there probably is not much defense.
no,

you would not be able to do that..
kidding!...)

will be fun to see his progression, he
has far exceeded what I felt he
would do with his first games...

Go Flyers!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Captain

AG didn’t seem to happy when asked about RJ and Weaver mysterious injuries , as far as when they will come back I have no idea when that will be . Is that what everybody else read into it ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Mustapha... every time I hear it, I think of the Will Ferrell character - as one of Dr. Evil's henchmen.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by soccergod View Post
AG didn’t seem to happy when asked about RJ and Weaver mysterious injuries , as far as when they will come back I have no idea when that will be . Is that what everybody else read into it ?
Posted via Mobile Device
When was he asked that?
Old 01-04-2021, 10:12 PM
Captain

I saw it on DDN sports game preview !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2021, 02:13 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Again, wait until he adds 25lbs. He reminds me of a Gonzaga post player.
very good comparison Chris!

just very good court awareness,
he sees the entire court.. He is
tied for 49th in the nation in
steals/game.. 2/game

Go Flyers!

edit: we actually have 2 Flyers in the top 50
in the nation for steals/game.. Chatman is
tied for 42nd with Jordan Davis at 2.2/game.

Last edited by steverino015; 01-06-2021 at 02:22 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 12:43 PM
General

Okay, just noticed something and wondering why. In Mustapha's first game he was 9-14 and only 1-4 from three points. That's 8 or 10 from inside the arc. 2nd game 6-13 and 3-6, 3-7 inside the arc. 3rd game 4-7, 2-5, 2-2 inside the arc. 4th game 3-4, 2-3 and 1-1 inside the arc.

We seem to be going shorter more each game yet Mustapha's inside shots are dwindling to nothing. What's causing this and wouldn't we be better served if that last number went up?
Old 01-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Okay, just noticed something and wondering why. In Mustapha's first game he was 9-14 and only 1-4 from three points. That's 8 or 10 from inside the arc. 2nd game 6-13 and 3-6, 3-7 inside the arc. 3rd game 4-7, 2-5, 2-2 inside the arc. 4th game 3-4, 2-3 and 1-1 inside the arc.

We seem to be going shorter more each game yet Mustapha's inside shots are dwindling to nothing. What's causing this and wouldn't we be better served if that last number went up?
The offense we run is not built for post play, it is built for pick and roll, which Amzil should also be able to excel at. However I do think it would benefit us if we ran some sets for both he and Jordy to get the ball in a traditional post up position. Jordy can score with his back to the basket but not so much when he is moving toward the basket with help side running at him. Amzil is obviously more versatile and can score in multiple ways but seems very comfortable posting up, so when he has a small player guarding him we should take advantage of that.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:54 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
The offense we run is not built for post play, it is built for pick and roll, which Amzil should also be able to excel at. However I do think it would benefit us if we ran some sets for both he and Jordy to get the ball in a traditional post up position. Jordy can score with his back to the basket but not so much when he is moving toward the basket with help side running at him. Amzil is obviously more versatile and can score in multiple ways but seems very comfortable posting up, so when he has a small player guarding him we should take advantage of that.
True, but I think you understated it. To go from 14 to 13 to 7 to 4 as far as FGA is still very concerning to me when you have such a versatile player who is 2nd or 3rd in the hierarchy of who the opponents focus on stopping.

BTW, last night I focused on his FT shot and it's as pretty as I've seen. Just very little moving parts and a soft flicker that seems deadly accurate. We need him to get to FT line as much as possible and to do that, he needs to have the ball on the inside more which I realize you're not arguing against.
CT Flyer (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
I Don't Believe He is an Inside Big

That is American hoops. He learned his game in Europe. He plays like a 6'10" guard with ball skills, ability to pass and shoot from the perimeter. He needs to add 25 lbs. to play a stereotypical American Big man game. When he does that he will no longer be a Flyer but perhaps an NBA player. I love his hi/low game with Jordy when he sets up at the foul line.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:27 PM
General

I agree

True, but I think you understated it. To go from 14 to 13 to 7 to 4 as far as FGA is still very concerning to me when you have such a versatile player who is 2nd or 3rd in the hierarchy of who the opponents focus on stopping.
with you. This guy has a great shot, shooting 40% behind the arc, and 58% overall. After his first couple of games teams may be focusing on him more. He should take more shots. To me I dont even care where. Hits 3's and has a soft touch around the rim. Those are few and far between.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (01-09-2021), steverino015 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant General

That is American hoops. He learned his game in Europe. He plays like a 6'10" guard with ball skills, ability to pass and shoot from the perimeter. He needs to add 25 lbs. to play a stereotypical American Big man game. When he does that he will no longer be a Flyer but perhaps an NBA player. I love his hi/low game with Jordy when he sets up at the foul line.
I don't think he is an inside big but he has post skills that he can take advantage of when he has a smaller player on him. In his first game he scored three times from the post with his back to the basket.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:30 PM
General

BTW, last night I focused on his FT shot and it's as pretty as I've seen. Just very little moving parts and a soft flicker that seems deadly accurate. We need him to get to FT line as much as possible and to do that, he needs to have the ball on the inside more which I realize you're not arguing against.
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I don't think he is an inside big but he has post skills that he can take advantage of when he has a smaller player on him. In his first game he scored three times from the post with his back to the basket.
Incredibly soft touch around the rim.
CT Flyer (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:42 PM

Possibly Amzil is just taking what the defense and offense gives him. Against Davidson he wasn't stalking his shots and we don't have isolation plays. He also looks to be considerate of the two high scoring Seniors we have.

The numbers are interesting but I have to reassess a bunch of things after our offensive display at Davidson.

We lost a bunch of respect at Fordham, and gained it back against Davidson. To me the important thing was the team pulled together and overcame being a 7 point dog.

Mustapha generated 12 points with only 8 shots, 4 at the line. That may have led to
Jordy getting 3/3, Weaver going 4/5, and Zimi getting several buckets. We have to develop a bench if we hope to advance.

Coach gambled on the lineup vs Fordham and lost, so it looks like a trend that was continued with Davidson. I am of the mind that we HAVE to play the bench every game
because there is no way we can advance in March without a good bench. And we have invested in some touted talent so throw them in the fire.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-11-2021), UDTradition (01-10-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Recent Mustapha interview posted yesterday on Youtube. It's 25 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmhg...ature=youtu.be
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (01-13-2021), CJ2etc (01-13-2021), fuz_forward (01-13-2021)