UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Xavier Thread

A couple things on X:

1. They cancelled their Tuesday match with Wright State due to weather. It's suppose to be re-scheduled.

2. Sophomore Stephanie Vorherr needs just 52 more digs to reach the 1,000-dig mark for her career. This is pretty unreal. She could go over 2,000 for her career. Very impressive.

3. Finally, I want to remind all Dayton fans that last Spring the entire Xavier volleyball team traveled to Dayton for Kacie's furneral in support of our team. I think a standing ovation before this match during player introductions is an appropriate response to that act of kindness and consideration.

Of course once the first serve is off, it's the storied rivalry like always.

Go Flyers!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-29-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
This message needs to go to the red scare. I'll see what I can do

I sent a message to brian karst asking him to forward those comments to the Red Scare president. I could see brian this evening at the interviews, if I do I will mention it to him

Last edited by UDBrian; 10-27-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I saw John Karst at practice today. He thought this was a classy idea and forwarded it to the red scare president so we will see what happens.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-27-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

cicvi17 has a spectacular aura aboutcicvi17 has a spectacular aura about
Another message of bad news from me - Flyer TV has claimed this game once again. To add to that, the UD wireless in Frericks is not strong enough to send audio (as proved last weekend vs GW) and Mandy is unable to make the match. So there won't be any broadcasts from us today, just the students on Flyer TV via CBS College Sports. I wish I had some input on the decision-making process for this, because this is the match I've been most looking forward to calling all year, but oh well. Such is life.

On the bright side, I'll be doing the live blog for Brian this match, so at least there's SOMEthing for me to do!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cicvi17 View Post
Another message of bad news from me - Flyer TV has claimed this game once again. To add to that, the UD wireless in Frericks is not strong enough to send audio (as proved last weekend vs GW) and Mandy is unable to make the match. So there won't be any broadcasts from us today, just the students on Flyer TV via CBS College Sports. I wish I had some input on the decision-making process for this, because this is the match I've been most looking forward to calling all year, but oh well. Such is life.

On the bright side, I'll be doing the live blog for Brian this match, so at least there's SOMEthing for me to do!
I was afraid that was what had happened. I turned on the game and the 2 guys have no clue so I had to turn the sound off. I know they're just students so I won't be too critical, but it would be much better if you and Mandy were doing it.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 PM
1st Lieutenant

I wish. This atmosphere is incredible. But much, MUCH louder without a headset on...

UD wins set one 26-24.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD wins set 2, 25-16. Much more impressive in this set, and finally one that isn't decided by two points.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

Clean sweep. UD wins set 3, 25-12.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 PM
1st Lieutenant

Final analysis - Dayton came out on fire and really showed that they're the best team in the conference tonight. They withstood an early run for X in the first set, but rebounded for the extra point win. After that they just broke them down up the middle, outside, serving, passing, digging - every single way possible. X looked lost at times and couldn't figure out a way to stop UD's offense, evidenced by a 17-2 run in the third set that really ended the match.

Dayton hit .364 and .324 in the second and third sets, respectively. Not gonna lose a whole lot of matches with those stats.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
First set we simply gave up too many points off our errors to X (11, which was almost 1/2 of their 24 points). But you have to like how the team hung in there and gutted out a win 26-24. After that we started playing solid ball again (like we started set 1) and X didn't have an answer. Finished with 22 errors on the night, so averaged 5.5 the last 2 sets and that is excellent. Anything below 6 is outstanding for any given set.

This was a HUGE match for this program at this time in the season. We looked really sharp for most of the night. Last X match we hit .131. I was hoping we could double that this match and we did just that finishing at .263. We need to get on an offensive roll and hit around .270 every match for the rest of the regular season and .263 against a good X team is a great start. Great TEAM win. We out-dug X 54-50. Their great Libero still got 17 digs, but considering she had 20 in the first 2 sets last time, we did an excellent job of keeping the ball out of her hands. Also, Lindsay had 3 assists. I think they were all to Yvonne. That's a great combination when Jess has to dig the ball. Keep it rolling ladies!!!!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-29-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Yep. After the initial 12-4 lead in the first set, the rest of the set was quite sloppy. Mis-hits, mis-communication, and Xavier doing a great job of finding angles on their kills. After set one, I saw no difference in either team.

The Flyers just stepped it up after that. It wasnt looking good though to start the second set. I was getting the impression this one was gonna be another 5-setter. But once it evened up at 10-10, we just seemed to find our groove.

Xavier is VERY good. And in the tourney at Cintas, they can win the whole thing. Hopefully we gave them a few things to think about!

And as I keep saying, FEED THE HORSE!!! Fletemier is only going to be around this program another dozen matches or so before the days of setting a 6-6 MB are over. We need to be milking her worth for all we've got.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Saving that set point against us in the first set was really key. That allowed us to win that first set. As noted, from the middle of the second set on was excellent. That run on Cowdrey's serve in the third set was a thing of beauty. "X" burned both of its time-outs trying to break the momentum - and it still didn't stop her. Our All-American played like one tonight.

3 assists for Lindsay. Not many teams have a 6' 6" setter.

Last edited by ud69; 10-29-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
good win for the flyers. How many fans showed up to support the women?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
1,560 +/- I thought I saw...
Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 AM
General of the Air Force

I was impressed with how Paige held up mentally. They went after her early and she made a couple of bad passes. But, she improved as the match went on. And she had quite a few nice sets

I'm pretty sure one of those Lindsay sets was to Amanda. It was really quite a play for a 6'6" middle blocker. The pass was pretty close to the net about 6' from the pole. But, Lindsay got into great position and Amanda trusted her to make the play and was ready for a great set. Lindsay is also a good backsetter so you have to honor that.

Kray had several balls that she crushed with that hard angle cut shot. That is very difficult for the opposite outside hitter to play.

In the past a match over 1000 would have a huge student turnout. There was a great student section behind the players but the rest of the crowd had a lot of neighborhood fans

Last edited by UDBrian; 10-30-2010 at 03:05 AM..
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 AM

One of Lindsay's set could have been to Amanda. I know 2 of the 3 were to Yvonne. Couldn't remember the 3rd.

I thought we would have had a bigger crowd. Would have liked to set a new Frerick's record this match, but it looked like students had other plans. There was a nice Red (Black) Scare section, but not massive like we've seen at other matches.

I agree we are drawing more community support and have been all season. That's the base you want to continue to draw in. When you go to Michigan, Illinois, Penn State, Nebraska and Minnesota you notice right away that they have a large "older" fan base. UD can have that too.

Anytime you are down a set point, it's always big to fend it off. I also thought Kray's solo block at the end of that set was big. Becky was late getting to the block and didn't get off the ground, but Kray took care of business at the net. It was a great play that helped us win Set 1. Kray's blocking this year has gotten a lot better. And I agree, Kray was hitting hard angle very well last night. From the camera angle on Flyer TV, down the line was open too. I think as a whole, this team needs to go down the line more. It's never going to be the shot you hit the most, but I'd like to see it used more.

3-0 sweep of X (a good team) has to send a message to the rest of the A-10 that Dayton is cranking it up another notch. Great Job!!!!!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-30-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
1st Lieutenant

Lynton is on a distinguished road
Crowd size

Students may have had Halloween on their mind, which may have kept them away last night.

Maybe next time a game is on the Halloween weekend, the AD's office could encourage Red Scare etc to adopt that theme and scare our opponents off the floor

I'll mention it to someone I know in the marketing office.