UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
LaSalle Thread

I wanted to give a shout out to Red Scare on this match. You guys have been great all year, like always. But wanted to make sure you show up for what is the weakest opponent on our schedule on Friday against LaSalle. I realize it's tempting to start the weekend socializing early since it is after all LaSalle. But, with the 2nd match this weekend at Charlotte, I don't know which match the parents will attend. So the team needs a good showing by Red Scare.

Also, it's late in the season and Sheff might go with the full lineup to start this match so everyone stays focused, etc. in prep for the A-10 Tourney. But I think you'll see the younger players certainly by set 3. They haven't played a lot at home this year, so make it special for them and stay and support these young ladies who have contributed so much to this team "behind the scenes".

Thanks and GO FLYERS!
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
LaSalle beat Temple this week. I think that says more about how far Temple has fallen than it does the 15th win in A10 history for LaSalle.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I forgot to mention that the president of red scare was a guest speaker at the last chalk talk.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you Chris. Temple is hurting this year after the graduation of Zhang.

All that said....LaSalle's RPI is 288. They beat Temple and they play UD Friday. Not sure if they play anyone else this weekend?

It would not surprise me if LaSalle jumps 20 in the RPI even with a 0-3 loss to UD. And that HELPS us. If LaSalle can get above 250 it might solidify UD as a Top 10 RPI heading into selection Sunday. That would be HUGE.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
It would not surprise me if LaSalle jumps 20 in the RPI even with a 0-3 loss to UD. And that HELPS us. If LaSalle can get above 250 it might solidify UD as a Top 10 RPI heading into selection Sunday. That would be HUGE.
I wouldn't hold my breath completely here. With approximately 15 games not currently updated on NCAA.org through last night, and modifying just the LaSalle loss to Dayton tonight, I have Dayton falling 2 spots, and LaSalle gaining only 5 spots. I think with the amount of games that have been played, adding a loss to your winning percentage, and a win to your opponent's winning percentage, isn't going to modify things greatly.

For instance, LaSalle's RPI value increased .0072 with just the one game modification. But to increase 20 RPI spots, their RPI value needs to go up .0250.

I think the more interesting thing would be, of the top 20 schools, what RPI teams are left on their schedules. I'll work on that...

Figgie
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-05-2010), UDBrian (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 AM

LaSalle's RPI jumped from just over 300 (They were 304-306 two weeks ago but I can't remember the exact number) to 288 this past week. Almost a 20 spot jump and they lost to two teams much lower in the RPI than Dayton. So I was hoping a win over Temple and a loss to #9 Dayton would jump them close to 20 spots or so. My hope is based on general observation of their move last week, not computer calculated.

I'm still hoping. lol
Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
FFKC

The annual volleyball pizza party is tonight at 5:30. Hopefully there will be several families at tonight's match. Last year the invite had the wrong date listed (one day off) with the correct opponent. For whatever reason, my family went by the opponent, without noticing the date, and to our surprise (and marketing's), we were the only one's who showed up. We had 12 or so pizzas to choose from! When we got home we looked at the invitation and I figured out what had happened. I left a message for marketing that night and then tracked them down at the football game the next day. Needless to say, they had to have another party that night, too! I remember Natalie Denny saying "I just don't know where everyone is. I had 20 RSVPs!" hahaha
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
While La Salle's poor service receive has led to many points for the Flyers so far, this shows that the Flyers are doing exactly what they should do from the serve.

Dayton 19 La Salle 4
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Sheff puts in the old rotation lineup (we were planning to try a new rotation with the same starters) and we still win set 1 25-5. LaSalle only wins 4 points and we give them 1 on a service error - our only error that set. No hitting errors. We had 100% sideout according to Mike.

I think we are going with new rotation this set.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Too many service errors in Set 2, but what are you going to say when we win 25-11. Everyone playing tonight. Sam serves the last two points and gets the assists on the last two points. I didn't know she was left handed.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM

We were trying some new things, so at times it wasn't sharp, but it's good to get a match in with the new before we go to Charlotte on Sunday. It will be a much better chance to see what's working and if it helps us improve.

Nobody will be please with the number of service errors in this one. But this team will get after that. We've been very good at keeping these in check this year and I would expect to see a return to lower SEs.

Also you might think our blocks were a little weak with only 7.5 in 3 sets vs our season average of 3/set. But sometimes it's hard to pile up blocks against a weak hitting team. In this case there were so few attack attempts at the net. A ton of free balls and attacks that LaSalle floated over the block because that's all their hitters could do, There weren't very many "real" block attempts because there weren't many serious attacks. Same with only 39 digs for UD. It wasn't us missing digs. It was LaSalle had so many hitting errors, etc. LaSalle only generated 12 points all night. That says it all. So you move on to Charlotte were we'll get tested.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-05-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. What a game. During the second set, I was paying more attention to LaSalle just to see things from the other side. Just wow. I still think we need a speed gun somewhere at the back corners of the court to see what the speed of Lindsay, Amanda, Kray, Becky and Yvonne are doing on spikes. I mean, if I was a setter, I'd be bruised beyond belief. As well, their libero had a nice size knee brace on, and I didn't think she was very mobile. Didn't seem like she could adjust much to shots 2 feet short from her position. Numerous times she just laid out after missing the point because she couldn't get there. But, the girls were just spiking them like crazy.

Then there was the incorrect rotation error where #5 served instead of #11, I think. Woopsie there. #5 seemed to be their goto hitter, but she wasn't getting much.

After the first set, LaSalle went back to their locker room for their 4 minute break. I didn't know that until I looked up, and poof, no girls on their bench, and I was curious if they just bailed and headed back to Philadelphia. Then they showed up with 30 seconds to go.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Lasalle probably received a flogging that the coach didn't want to make public!

It is good that the team kept the intensity up which isn't as easy as it seems.

How was the volleyball pizza party
Old 11-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
As far as the coach is concerned, he's already won his Super Bowl by winning a match this year in the A10. Everything else is gravy. Thats about all LSU asks of their coach in order to keep his job. Admittedly, I think hes a part-timer and all of his assistants are like grad students. I thought I heard they gave out like 1 scholarship for Volleyball.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Charlotte Thread

I moved this post - it was suppose to be a new thread. Sorry!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-07-2010 at 10:36 AM..