UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2014 Match Threads

2014 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
X Thread

X is ALWAYS a big match -- but knocking off X tonight could be HUGE. Flyers need to "beat someone good" and against X would be a great time to start. It certainly isn't a "must-win" match, but it could be a critical point in this season where the team takes it to a new level. TH is still looking for his lineup. Tonight will give him a lot to look at. X is sitting at RPI #35. That's very good, although it's early in the season. Time to take a big step forward ladies. GO FLYERS!
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (09-16-2014)
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
X is ALWAYS a big match -- but knocking off X tonight could be HUGE. Flyers need to "beat someone good" and against X would be a great time to start. It certainly isn't a "must-win" match, but it could be a critical point in this season where the team takes it to a new level. TH is still looking for his lineup. Tonight will give him a lot to look at. X is sitting at RPI #35. That's very good, although it's early in the season. Time to take a big step forward ladies. GO FLYERS!
I havne't seen X play recently but I would expect them to play the same style as they played in the A10.

I expect them to serve aggressively to try and keep you out of system. When we last played them almost every one of their servers hit the ball with really good pace. I wasn't real impressed with their blocking but they covered the court really well and usually passed the ball well. On offense they didn't have a lot of height so their offense was really really fast with low sets. If they pass the ball well they are tough to stop. I remember Kelly saying before a match "I don't know if we can stop them but I don't think they can stop us either".

IF X's offense is as good as it was a couple of years ago UD needs to serve and block well to slow them down. If X passes the ball with ease it might be tough to have a chance of winning.

I'll sound like a broken record but UD needs to pass the ball well to have three options on offense. Should be a fun match!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Headed to the 5th -- UD CAN win this thing. And I don't think we are passing well at all. I would guess more than 1/2 our passes are behind the 10' line. That usually gives you 1 hitter option.That usually means you are NOT winning. But the team is grinding and scrapping to get to balls. WE CAN WIN THIS!!!! Jump on them early in the 5th.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM

TO UD with X up 6-4. Need a hideout coming out of the TO. Go Flyers!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM

TO X with UD up 12-11. COME ON LADIES. CLOSE THIS OUT!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM

UD WINS on an ACE. 16-14. BIG, BIG, BIG WIN. HUGE. Congrats Ladies! Announcer said X vball had not won at Frericks for 14 years. Well unless they come for an NCAA match -- it will be 15 years. Not sure who will be Player of the game -- but Jane Emmnecker played well. Passing was not very good and Jane got to everything and set very well.

We just knocked off current Figgie-RPI #35!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-16-2014 at 09:25 PM..
College B-Ball Fan (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I was dreading that last point. Alaina Turner and her history of service errors, and I just cringed. Then, the X players let it go, and it fell in. If the stats are right, her 5 service aces are a career high.

Happy they won! Woo hoo!

And Z went 10/0/13 for a .769, and that would be 6th best since the 2007 season when a player has at least 13 attempts.

Last edited by Figgie123; 09-16-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Didnt think we had the goods to win. Solid victory for us. We still seem to be hitting around .200 for matches. Its difficult to win matches when you are closer to .200 than .300. We are definitely a work-in-progress. There will be more peaks and valleys. I dont think its fair for fans to agonize over every win or loss. Horsmon has a 2-3yr project on his hands to get us back to what we're used to.

I do like that we dug down deep for this one however. Thats been the hallmark of most UD teams under Tim or Sheff. Wish we had a do-over for CSU as that was a close one as well.

Nice job team!

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Agree with all of you, this was a tough, UD-X match, just like the old days, and always nice to beat X. Congrats to the ladies and the coaches.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
That first set was as fugly as they come. We could not do anything right. Was worried we could get swept. Regrouped to win set 2 and 3. Thought we let set 4 get away. Turner's ace for match point was right on the line. Our younguns are starting to grow up a bit.

Props to Red Scare late in 5th set. They were getting in the head of the X servers right in front of them.

Nice "W".

One other note - They honored the 11 Flyer All-Americans with an introduction and unveiling of banners for each before the match. Meyers, Treadway, Utnage, Barhorst, Richards, Schroeder, Fletemier, Yanz, Krabacher, Selsky, Campbell. All but Yanz and Campbell were there. That's a pretty deep bench.

Last edited by ud69; 09-16-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Horsman went over to Red Scare after the match and thanked them. They were awesome as were the ladies.

Got hung up in Ky so didn't make it to the game. While at diner saw a lady in a navy blue top with UD on it. On closer look in white scroll it said "University of Dayton". When the opportunity afforded itself I approached her and asked it she had someone at the school, or if she was supporting a athlete. She said she got the top at UD where she works. Said she was an instructor in philosophy of 35 years and would be retiring at semesters end. Small world.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Great to see all the all americans again. Not surprised Yanz was not there.
Sam Selsky sat with the coaches on the bench along with Kray. Didn't see Alyssa Beach. Did see Gresham in her boot and seemed to walk normally, no limp so hopefully its minor.

After the first set was glad I didn't make the trek, but then the ladies regrouped and well, missed a great match. X has a habit of late to jump off to a great start against the flyers, but it seems they spend all the surprises in the first set or two then the flyers learn what they are up to and take the match.

Was very fearful of this match as I thought this was one of X's better teams.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
So where is Alyssa Beach?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM
General of the Air Force

Hopefully she was there and I just missed her. She usually stands next to Kray during timeouts and it was Sam Selsky who stood next to Kray last night. She might have been out of camera view. Still listed as manager on the roster.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Didnt think we had the goods to win. Solid victory for us. We still seem to be hitting around .200 for matches. Its difficult to win matches when you are closer to .200 than .300. We are definitely a work-in-progress. There will be more peaks and valleys. I dont think its fair for fans to agonize over every win or loss. Horsmon has a 2-3yr project on his hands to get us back to what we're used to.

I do like that we dug down deep for this one however. Thats been the hallmark of most UD teams under Tim or Sheff. Wish we had a do-over for CSU as that was a close one as well.

Nice job team!
I agree with the team hitting percentage. We need to keep working hard to get to a level where we are consistently hitting around .250. I think we can get there with this team. A couple things stood out to me watching this match (just my 3rd this season.) First Jane Emmenecker played way better than she did in the previous 2 matches I have seen. Like I said above, our passing this match was not good. More than 50% of the 2nd touches were behind the 10' line. I kept thinking, "How are we winning this match with these passes?" The answer was Jane was doing A LOT with some so-so passes and she was getting the ball to her hitters. In the first match against Bowling Green -- she wasn't even getting to these balls, let alone delivering a ball that had a chance to be terminated. If the season was over today, she would be the hands-down winner of the most improved award. And she and the middles clearly have been working on their timing and sets.

Second, Jane did a good job of using ALL her hitters. She did it more in "blocks" of sets, (versus spreading the ball around point, by point) but it got the job done.
For example, she went to Z early and often in the match and then came back to her late in the match. I remember Jenna scored the final 3 points of either set 2 or 3. Jill Loiars got several points in a row hitting front the left and the right sides. She used all her hitters which is a smart move by a setter, but also it showed we can go to anyone to score. Opponents down the road will study this tape and so many hitters that can score will be a problem.

Third, after 4 SEs in the first set, we had zero the 2nd set and finished the night with 10 (2.0/set average). Not great, but we had 8 service aces to balance it out. It appeared we got this area of our game "under control" somewhat after the 1st set and yet I thought we served pretty tough. In fact, I thought our serving was more aggressive last night than the other two matches I have seen. I wasn't too impressed the previous matches with this area of our game. Last night I thought it was much better.

Fourth, we stayed in the match and fought like Flyer championship teams of the past. We trailed almost the entire 5th set. Usually you "play" the fifth set "first to 5, first to 10, first to 15." X beat us to 5 and to 10 but the team stayed in the set and won it. We had two service errors in the 5th and there were several times we fell behind by 2 points. Yet the team seemed perfectly in control and calm. It was impressive.

GREAT JOB LAST NIGHT. Congrats to the team and coaches.
Glen Clark (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
A win over Xavier in any sport makes the whole season much better!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (09-17-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-17-2014), rollo (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I thought that they played poorly for most of set 1. But, toward the end of set 1 you could see that they were beginning to compete and they continued that the rest of the match.

The hitting percentages, set 1 .025, set 2 .286, set 3 .440, set 4 .273, set 5 .100. Three sets were just fine from a hitting percentage standpoint

It is really tough to win a set hitting .100 (set five). Xavier also had four more kills in set 5 than ud did. Xavier had two more hitting errors than UD in set 5 and they also had three service errors compared to UD's 0 in that set.

Kudos to Alaina for getting the kill and service ace to finish the match. I love the fact that she had the confidence to hit a tough serve at match point.

The three consistent hitters last night were

Isolde Hannan 10 kills on 13 attempts, .769
Jenna Jendryk 12 kills, four errors on 24 attempts .333
Jill Loiars 13 kills, three errors on 31 attempts for .323

Great win and it only helps that it came against that team from down south