UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2016 Match Threads

2016 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Miami Match

They went 1-2 at the Michigan Tourney. Swept by Michigan and No Iowa before beating SLU in 5. They will be tougher than anyone we played this past weekend, but I think pretty even if we play the way we did Fri and Sat. Only one day of practice (Monday) to correct anything and improve but I except us to take a step forward even with only one day. Will be happy with a 3-1 match. Thrilled with 3-0. And not unhappy with 3-2 because we need some of those this year to be battle tested. Go Flyers.
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
The team has shown it is capable of playing at a high level for short periods of time. As you have pointed out young teams struggle with consistency so the big question is how long will it take until they can pls y well for an entire set. Passing is always key but even more so for an inexperienced team such as this
Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Given that Miami beat SLU (the team picked to finish 2nd in the A-10) I would be happy with any win. Even if it takes all 5 sets.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-29-2016), UDBrian (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
Given that Miami beat SLU (the team picked to finish 2nd in the A-10) I would be happy with any win. Even if it takes all 5 sets.
Agree 100% The formula needs to be IMPROVE, WIN, REPEAT

It's obviously unrealistic to think that this can happen every match of the season but that is what you shoot for
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I just saw a pic of the new lower level seating and I was wondering if there was any padding on the front edges and corners. It didn't look like there was any in the pictures I saw. Even though they're pretty far away from the court I've seen plenty of volleyball players go diving for balls way out of play.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM
General of the Air Force

That is a good question. I saw someone bang her head against a steel post at the edge of the stands. This was at a high school match in Wilmington
Old 08-30-2016, 07:33 PM
General of the Air Force

UD seemed to be playing better than what I saw saturday early in the set. I think Miami's serving got them out of system way too much late in the set. Brianna started out hot and then faded later in the set
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
UD drops first set 25-19. Let Miami go on big run after we were up 18-15. Way too many errors. And we got zero blocks again. Miami stuffed us 6 times and thus we are hitting below .100. Need to play a lot better.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:35 PM

Miami is predicted to win the MAC. We knew coming in they were going to be better than the 3 teams we played over the weekend.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM

UD wins 2nd 25-20. Freshmen Jamie Peterson played and Jordan Albarran came in to serve and played back row the last 7 points of the set.

Amber was the difference. She has our only block tonight. Then score about three time in a row followed by an ace. That's when we pulled away.

As a team we hit .323 that set. Getting out-blocked 1-7 for the match. Lauren Bruns also hitting very well from the left OH spot at .312 with only 1 error.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-30-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 PM

UD takes control winning 3rd 25-22 and going up 2-1. Need to close this out in the 4th.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 PM

0 blocks in set 1
1 block in set 2
2 blocks in set 3
2 already in set 4

Need to keep the net pressure on them. They have stuffed us 8 times.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM

Chris R use to say, "Just keep feeding the horse." That's what Dayton did at the end of this match. We just kept setting Amber and they couldn't stop her. She score our last 7 or 8 offensive points. (We also picked up a couple points on Miami errors). But it was all Amber from our side of the net.

4-0 headed into a very tough weekend.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-30-2016), NovaFlyer (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Erhahon was a beast!

Thought Wolf played well. Passing and digging was pretty good.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Xavier will be a tough match, 3 kids pre picked for Big East 1st Team. Will be the most entertaining game of the year, I think, with Christy coming back and the old X feel to competition.

Nice game tonight overall. Miami was quick and played well, but we played better. Love the new court, so much better and a beautiful dedication to the Hausfeld family. What a way to remember Dad and daughter.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-31-2016), Glen Clark (09-04-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I got to see some of the 4th set. The serving was very strong. The serving was definitely causing some bad passes. I think I saw Maggie Schutter doing some of the serving. I don't think I saw the end where Amber was on a roll. But I did see Jane set Amber once. The timing looked very good and they both looked very comfortable. Amber went up against a poor single block and Miami did not stand a chance.

The A-10 did very well tonight. Dayton picked up a very good win, Duquesne got a road win at Youngstown State and La Salle got a road win at Lafayette. Dayton's win is their 9th straight win against a team from the MAC, dating back to a loss to Ohio on 9/7/13. La Salle's win was nice because it wasn't close at all. La Salle swept Lafayette 25-15,10,10. Lafayette did not post live stats so the only information at the moment is from La Salle's Twitter. If my program lost to La Salle that badly, I wouldn't post it online either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Colonel

Are those stats correct? Did Amber record 20 kills in 4 sets???

The most kills she had last year was 18 against Cavier in a 5 set match. 20 kills in 4 sets is insane!!!! Congrats to Amber, what an accomplishment.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-31-2016), Figgie123 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, Amber had 20 kills. As BeckysTXA stated, Amber scored our last 7 offensive points.

4th set...
  • Jamie/Amber block makes it 17-14 UD
  • Schutter comes in for Jamie to serve...
  • Amber kill ... 18-14
  • Amber kill ... 19-14
  • Miami timeout
  • Amber kill ... 20-14
  • Amber kill ... 21-14
  • Miami kill ... 21-15
  • Amber error ... 21-16
  • Miami kill ... 21-17
  • Amber kill ... 22-17
  • Sloan serves ...
  • Amber kill ... 23-17
  • Albarran subs in for Sloan and serves...
  • Amber kill ... 24-17
  • Miami error ... 25-17

So, of the last 8 UD points, Amber 7 kills, 1 Miami error. Amber also had 4 kills earlier in that set, so she had 11 kills in set 4. (1 in set 1, 3 in set 2 and 5 in set 3) (Alaina Turner had 24 kills in 4 sets last year against Villanova, and 23 in 3 sets against Ohio last year, too.) I show the last Middle Blocker with 20 or more kills in a match being Lindsey Fletemier back in 2009.

I thought that our receiving was really bad in the first set, and Miami was getting to darn near everything we gave to them. I think we may have switched to serving and attempting to dink balls over to their libero and setter to attempt to get them out of position. Then, Amber took over in set 4. As BeckysTXA stated, I was thinking of yelling, "Feed her!"

Last edited by Figgie123; 08-30-2016 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: fixed middle blocker stat.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-31-2016), UDBrian (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM

Are those stats correct? Did Amber record 20 kills in 4 sets???

The most kills she had last year was 18 against Cavier in a 5 set match. 20 kills in 4 sets is insane!!!! Congrats to Amber, what an accomplishment.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. And Margo had 31 digs in 4 sets and Maggie had 28 digs in 4 sets. All of those are insane numbers.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM

The A-10 did very well tonight. Dayton picked up a very good win, Duquesne got a road win at Youngstown State and La Salle got a road win at Lafayette. Dayton's win is their 9th straight win against a team from the MAC, dating back to a loss to Ohio on 9/7/13. La Salle's win was nice because it wasn't close at all. La Salle swept Lafayette 25-15,10,10. Lafayette did not post live stats so the only information at the moment is from La Salle's Twitter. If my program lost to La Salle that badly, I wouldn't post it online either.
Posted via Mobile Device
LaSalle started 4-0 this past weekend - the best start in program history. They are now 5-0. They have played some pretty weak programs, but you have to love that they are doing well. First step to improving your program is to beat the teams you should beat at home. They did that over the weekend and have now added a dominate win over a team on the road. What LaSalle is doing is helping all the teams in the A-10. Go Explorers!
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 AM
General of the Air Force

Digging was great all night and the passing improved as the match went on. It is a setters dream to be able to set the middles that much

The last time I watched xavier they had a really fast offense which will be a huge challenge blocking
Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Amber - more thoughts

Thanks to Figgie123 for the Amber vs. Miami recap. I do note that one of my fav's, Lauren Bruns, had 19 kills vs Wright State, but only had a .366% versus probably a lesser team. However, she did have the 19 kills in three sets.

Does anyone know the back story of how we got Amber out of California? I feel she would start at MB for the majority of PAC-10 (11 or 12) teams. I would bet that her height had a little to do with it