User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 02:15 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
On to 2018-19

Obviously not the season we wanted, despite many realizing there would be struggles. Happy that they fought to the end tonight, but the limitations were obvious. Plenty of blame to go around, but time to put this season behind them and concentrate on what can be done to improve next year.

1st things 1st, who stays, who leaves.

Obviously it would be nice if Josh returned for 1 more year; could hardly blame him if he decided to take a crack at a power 5 team, the A10 is probably the right level for him to "star" but little doubt he could impact the game in any university to some extent.

X is as good as gone, Crosby we'll assume isn't far behind him. Hopefully everyone else returns.

2nd, Crutcher & Kostas need to hit the gym and put on some muscle. Crutcher's lack of strength was never more obvious than today vs Williams. Time to go put on the freshman 15 (but in a good way), really like his game. Kostas seemed to put it together down the stretch. We'll never know how much injury and the unexpected loss of his father held him back, but he seemed much more engaged emotionally near the end and began to scratch his potential.

3rd, find some depth. The Juco should provide some depth, and Cohill has star potential, need a few more bodies that can bang inside, fight for rebounds, play tough defense and hit open shots.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), jack72 (03-08-2018), Justin (03-09-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), TommyGola (03-08-2018)
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Guess I see it a bit differently, agree X moves on, think John may stay and I am hopefull Pierce finds greener pastures. Assuming two additional openings, that would give us Ryan, Matos(sp), Obi, Cohill and two more as additions. that is a massive change to the roster. Given who we have coming back, next year will be a step up, how big a step up remains to be seen
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-09-2018), Fairborn Fan (03-08-2018), San Diego Flyer (03-08-2018), shocka43 (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), UDGutter2 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Obviously not the season we wanted, despite many realizing there would be struggles. Happy that they fought to the end tonight, but the limitations were obvious. Plenty of blame to go around, but time to put this season behind them and concentrate on what can be done to improve next year.

1st things 1st, who stays, who leaves.

Obviously it would be nice if Josh returned for 1 more year; could hardly blame him if he decided to take a crack at a power 5 team, the A10 is probably the right level for him to "star" but little doubt he could impact the game in any university to some extent.

X is as good as gone, Crosby we'll assume isn't far behind him. Hopefully everyone else returns.

2nd, Crutcher & Kostas need to hit the gym and put on some muscle. Crutcher's lack of strength was never more obvious than today vs Williams. Time to go put on the freshman 15 (but in a good way), really like his game. Kostas seemed to put it together down the stretch. We'll never know how much injury and the unexpected loss of his father held him back, but he seemed much more engaged emotionally near the end and began to scratch his potential.

3rd, find some depth. The Juco should provide some depth, and Cohill has star potential, need a few more bodies that can bang inside, fight for rebounds, play tough defense and hit open shots.
I am a huge fan of Josh Cunningham and everything he has endured in his career and given to UD. That said, if Josh wants to play next year he won't be going to a power 5 school. He is undersized (even for the A10) at his position and he is not strong enough with the ball to effectively play inside against better post defenders like he would see in a power conference. I hope to see him in a Flyer uniform next year. If he does decide to play elsewhere, I will wish him the best. He has earned that, unlike some other players who have transferred.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Josh Cunningham is not set to graduate till next year as Jablonski reported a week or so ago. He can't grad transfer
16 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-08-2018), BeckysTXA (03-09-2018), Bonziflyer (03-08-2018), flyerfanatic86 (03-09-2018), Flyers98 (03-08-2018), Graphicsguy (03-08-2018), Justin (03-09-2018), mikeymo85 (03-08-2018), Monster Man (03-08-2018), rollo (03-08-2018), ruechalgrin (03-08-2018), Runnin' Rebel (03-08-2018), San Diego Flyer (03-08-2018), steverino015 (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), UD62 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Well then, issue resolved.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:47 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't hear that about Josh, good for UD I think he could absolutely play a significantly roll at many P5 schools. He wouldn't be an all conference type player like he is in the A10, but he could absolutely fill a roll for 15+ minutes at most P5 schools.

I forgot about Toppin, I'd put him in the same catagory of needing to hit the weight room and put on that 15 pounds of muscle. I guess CAG has a good idea from practices on what he can provide next season. Hopefully Mikesell can play a solid roll, I just fear that a double hip surgery is going to leave him at a fraction of what he ever could have been. He'll still have the smarts that he showed in his first 2 seasons, how much lateral quickness will he lose (he was already a step slow, but perhaps that is more of a result of fighting thru the hip injuries that hindered him all of his sophomore season?)

Pierce, hardly knew him, I assume he's gone as well, but he never really felt like a player on the current team so it doesn't feel like we're missing something.

Anyhoo, that gives CAG:

Cunningham, Kostas & Toppin in the post
The Juco, Mikesell and Landers at the wing/4 spots
Cohill and Davis at the 2-3
Crutch at the 1.

Need some depth at PG or the 2 depending on where Grant sees Cohill as a PG, and some depth to bang down low, play defense.

Last edited by Medford; 03-08-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I think the Josh situation was solved on several other threads, ie. he won't graduate. Unless of course he went overseas. I hope there is some news on Pierce.

For the effort Crutcher gave us this season, and the minutes he played without getting hurt which would have been a catastrophy, he definitely earned his scholarship.

Other than the obvious lack of bulk, Kostas just needed to learn the nuances of college rules and their application (read that referees who show how outrageously human they are every night ).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), longtimefan67 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
For the effort Crutcher gave us this season, and the minutes he played without getting hurt which would have been a catastrophy, he definitely earned his scholarship.
Was this in question?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Major

Buster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud of
There is a good core to build around. Hopefully everyone (especially Kostas) works their butts off on their game, and puts on a few pounds. I said it in another thread, Kostas going on his European trip and getting injured didn't help things. It probably left AG little time to evaluate him.
I think it is pretty well understood that Pierce & Xerius will not be back. Cunningham will be here, so I hope that is settled discussion. I know many are down on a few other players, but generally if you work hard, and stay out of trouble, the University renews your scholarship. So there is no reason to believe that Crosby or Svoboda will not be back.
So I expect two more signees by May. Hopefully one who can play immediately, one a transfer whom will have to sit a year. We have a good lineup, we just need more talent / depth from the bench.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm concerned about back-to-back years of significant turnover in the makeup of the roster, but, it seems warranted here. Nothing we could do about this year--seniors graduate.

Before this year started I think there's a reasonable case that could have been made that we had a hope (let's stick to that word) that next year's starting 5 would be something like:

Wright
Jordan Davis
XW
Cunningham
Pierce (the big man develops and is ready to start next year at center)

Now it looks to be more like:

Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Trey
Kostas (Mikesell?)
Cunningham

I'm not saying that was everyone's expectation, but the point is I would rather not see such a big swing in year-to-year expectations going forward. We need to see some stability start to make its way into the Flyer program after this mess of a year.

I don't hate our 5 for next year, we'll be pretty good. We better see some serious additions from Mikesell and Kostas to make the NCAA, but it could happen.

Keep in mind, as bad as we were this year, we were 12-4 at home. 1-10 away and 1-3 neutral. Smells like freshmen.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (03-08-2018), Jeff (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Guessing here... but I'll state or guess that Crosby does leave and that X stays and rehabs his back.

Def some opps for newcomers here. But i believe in the nucleus.

Kostas needs to work out and smarten up. I believe he will on both counts.

Matos is the most intriguing guy to me. Cohill will be fine by the mid or end year. But someone needs to light a fire about playing defense here.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
I did not have high expectations, but I did not foresee the bumps where they manifested themselves. Never saw the season going as it did for X. Was very dismayed by Svaboda’s inability to knock down shots, and despite low expectations for Crosby, he offered even less than I had hoped.

Darell was Darell. Had some outstanding games that I thought were beyond his ceiling, but really disappeared at some critical moments throughout the year. Our program was definitely better for his having been a part of it, and I will remember him fondly all in all for the contributions he made to some cherished moments throughout his career.

On the plus side, Crutcher was a great pick up under the circumstances, and Trey exceeded my hopes in so many ways.

Midway through, I was very disappointed in Kostas in view of all the hype, but am now greatly encouraged by what I have seen from him in the last month. He has an enormous upside.

I think Jordan Davis will be very solid moving forward, and with Toppin and Mikesell getting into the mix next season, there could be a big improvement overall.

I have seen Cohill play, and for me, the jury is still out as to how much of an impact he will have next year. I think we need to find at least one more significant contributor in order for next year to be a season in which we contend.
Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I'm concerned about back-to-back years of significant turnover in the makeup of the roster, but, it seems warranted here. Nothing we could do about this year--seniors graduate.

Before this year started I think there's a reasonable case that could have been made that we had a hope (let's stick to that word) that next year's starting 5 would be something like:

Wright
Jordan Davis
XW
Cunningham
Pierce (the big man develops and is ready to start next year at center)

Now it looks to be more like:

Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Trey
Kostas (Mikesell?)
Cunningham

I'm not saying that was everyone's expectation, but the point is I would rather not see such a big swing in year-to-year expectations going forward. We need to see some stability start to make its way into the Flyer program after this mess of a year.

I don't hate our 5 for next year, we'll be pretty good. We better see some serious additions from Mikesell and Kostas to make the NCAA, but it could happen.

Keep in mind, as bad as we were this year, we were 12-4 at home. 1-10 away and 1-3 neutral. Smells like freshmen.
Why was Pierce considered such a lock to be a contributor by his sophomore year? Did anyone watch him last year? I don't think he was that good in high school so why would he suddenly have been good in college?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-08-2018), Sid Louick (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Why was Pierce considered such a lock to be a contributor by his sophomore year? Did anyone watch him last year? I don't think he was that good in high school so why would he suddenly have been good in college?
Because you can't teach height.

Again, I'm not saying it was everyone's expectation, and that's not the rat hole I'm wanting to go down, I'm just saying that at 6'11" and what appeared to be a good motor in the R&B game, I think there was some hope that by the sophomore year a guy like that might be starting.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Onto 2018-19

Praise baby Jesus.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), jumpin' joe (03-08-2018), ud2 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Onto 2018-19

Praise baby Jesus.
My Return on Investment on my 2017-18 season tickets and that ever increasing license fee (which will no longer be a tax deduction) was pretty miserable. Expecting a rebound (and some better defense) in 2018-19.

Last edited by jumpin' joe; 03-08-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Because you can't teach height.

Again, I'm not saying it was everyone's expectation, and that's not the rat hole I'm wanting to go down, I'm just saying that at 6'11" and what appeared to be a good motor in the R&B game, I think there was some hope that by the sophomore year a guy like that might be starting.
Not to mention Big Steve didn't look all that impressive in his high school highlights and I just kind of figured Archie knew what he was doing when he signed Pierce.

But let's not forget that Toppin will be there to give us length also so hopefully he'll be along the lines of a Kostas and we won't have to worry as much about foul trouble.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
General

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Guessing here... but I'll state or guess that Crosby does leave and that X stays and rehabs his back.
Was X on the bench for the GW game? Was he on the bench for today's game? The answer is the same for both and it wasn't because he couldn't stand to sit for extended periods of times due to back issues (or wait, was it academic issues?). The divorce has happened, he ain't coming back
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-08-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), Gazoo (03-08-2018), longtimefan67 (03-08-2018), ruechalgrin (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
I didn't see X or Pierce on the bench today. Did anyone?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
They didn't travel to DC... aka "They Gone" lol
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-08-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), flyerfanatic86 (03-09-2018), ruechalgrin (03-08-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Here they are...

Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
lhsgolf19 (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Boy - AG certainly has a way of getting his message across.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Not to mention Big Steve didn't look all that impressive in his high school highlights and I just kind of figured Archie knew what he was doing when he signed Pierce.

But let's not forget that Toppin will be there to give us length also so hopefully he'll be along the lines of a Kostas and we won't have to worry as much about foul trouble.
Steve's senior year was much better than Pierce's if I recall.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think we would need it again for several years, but maybe it's time to dust off the "Who is staying - Who is leaving - Confirmed Reports Only" thread.

Rumors and assumptions are going to get out of control in the upcoming weeks/months.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-08-2018), Fairborn Fan (03-08-2018), Figgie123 (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I didn't think we would need it again for several years, but maybe it's time to dust off the "Who is staying - Who is leaving - Confirmed Reports Only" thread.

Rumors and assumptions are going to get out of control in the upcoming weeks/months.
Hopefully it will be resolved in hours/days -
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Hopefully Mikesell can play a solid roll, I just fear that a double hip surgery is going to leave him at a fraction of what he ever could have been. He'll still have the smarts that he showed in his first 2 seasons, how much lateral quickness will he lose (he was already a step slow, but perhaps that is more of a result of fighting thru the hip injuries that hindered him all of his sophomore season?)
From what I've heard, Mikesell feels better than when he was in high school.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (03-08-2018), hawkoooo (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-10-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Hopefully it will be resolved in hours/days -
The full picture will be a while.

We may get some news in the coming days, but some of these guys may want to take time once the season is over to reflect and make sure they are making the right choice.

Plus, once everyone has figured out what they want to do, then AG has to fill any open spots.

It's going to be a while...
Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute

We may get some news in the coming days, but some of these guys may want to take time once the season is over to reflect and make sure they are making the right choice.

Plus, once everyone has figured out what they want to do, then AG has to fill any open spots.

In the case of a guy who gave a solid effort, followed the coaches' orders, and did all he was capable of doing, I'm willing to wait awhile for him to meet with the coach(es) and "reflect and make sure they are making the right choice".

However, in the case of a guy who didn't bust his tail, either ignored or defied the coaches' orders, and didn't do anywhere near his fullest to help better himself or the team, I think AG has every right to work with the University admin to revoke the scholarship and tell the player "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!"

I agree completely that this process will take awhile, and that some of the announcements may not be made publicly until after the semester is over, at the beginning of May. But there should be some pretty friggin' yuge "handwriting on the wall" in at least a couple of cases for guys who appeared in the 2017-18 team photo.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
From what I've heard, Mikesell feels better than when he was in high school.
We will see, not getting excited
Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
In the case of a guy who gave a solid effort, followed the coaches' orders, and did all he was capable of doing, I'm willing to wait awhile for him to meet with the coach(es) and "reflect and make sure they are making the right choice".

However, in the case of a guy who didn't bust his tail, either ignored or defied the coaches' orders, and didn't do anywhere near his fullest to help better himself or the team, I think AG has every right to work with the University admin to revoke the scholarship and tell the player "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!"

I agree completely that this process will take awhile, and that some of the announcements may not be made publicly until after the semester is over, at the beginning of May. But there should be some pretty friggin' yuge "handwriting on the wall" in at least a couple of cases for guys who appeared in the 2017-18 team photo.
Not going to be that difficult. The players that AG doesn't want back I'm sure have mutual feelings. Otherwise they would've put in the effort.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Not going to be that difficult. The players that AG doesn't want back I'm sure have mutual feelings. Otherwise they would've put in the effort.
True, but the actual announcements probably won't come until after Finals are over, as long as the guys in question are still attending classes (and I don't know if they are, or they aren't).
Old 03-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
This video sums up a lot of my feelings about this season and next!!!

https://twitter.com/dbiondi77/status/971874405600169986

If you aren't falling out of your chair laughing during it something is wrong with you.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
31770 (03-09-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-08-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), SC_Flyer (03-08-2018), st marys (03-11-2018), tirebiter (03-08-2018), UDFlyer23 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute

If/when we sign one or two more it's going to telegraph what's happening, regardless of official announcements.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Def some opps for newcomers here. But i believe in the nucleus.

Kostas needs to work out and smarten up. I believe he will on both counts.

Matos is the most intriguing guy to me. Cohill will be fine by the mid or end year. But someone needs to light a fire about playing defense here.
X can shove it!!!!!! He has no back problem...baloney. He didn't show up for the two seniors. He can leave and there will be no tears shed on my part. Flyer 86, stop buying into that "bad back" nonsense. He is a loser and can take his sorry butt somewhere else.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), C-time (03-08-2018), Fairborn Fan (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), flyerfanatic86 (03-09-2018), rollo (03-08-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
It's always about speculation, so here's what I think the roster of scholarship players looks like for next year

Cunningham
Mikesell
Toppin
Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Matos
Cohill
Landers
Svoboda
Kostas

I think if Crosby had played today, he had a 50/50 shot at returning. I'm guessing by not sniffing the court, he's not coming back, leaving 3 additional openings.

Whether or not they all get filled is an open question, and if they do, by freshman, transfer(s) who have to sit a year, grad transfers, or jucos remains to be seen. One thing for sure, it will be an interesting off-season. I hope our "insiders" will have access to information that they can share along the way.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), shocka43 (03-09-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
If/when we sign one or two more it's going to telegraph what's happening, regardless of official announcements.
Agree, AG won't wait until the end of the semester to sign a guy, or guys, he really wants. We may, or may not, be oversigned for a bit but as you say, the handwriting will be on the wall as signings happen.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
X can shove it!!!!!! He has no back problem...baloney. He didn't show up for the two seniors. He can leave and there will be no tears shed on my part. Flyer 86, stop buying into that "bad back" nonsense. He is a loser and can take his sorry butt somewhere else.
I'm with you all the way on this one, Tommy. This one really "urinates" me off.

I've been a dedicated Flyer fan for most of my now-56 years on this Earth (ever since I learned to say "Obravac" as a 5-year-old), and rare have been the times that I've seen a player with that much potential basically say "Fuque you!" to Flyer Nation. Does he think he's the second coming of LeBron? Guess what, X? You're nowhere even close to the second coming of James Posey!

Sorry if this upsets Priders, but dammit - you get a scholarship; you put forth the effort. X did not. And that was after he DID put forth the effort for the 2 years prior.

Face it, X. You blew it! And whether or not it means anything in your world, you've earned every ounce of disdain that may spew forth from every one of the Flyer Faithful. Including (especially?) this one.

Move on to Northwest South Dakota State Community College. I hope you enjoy the experience.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), Gazoo (03-08-2018), TommyGola (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
If it was as blatant as everyone around here says it is, and I'm not doubting you, I just don't have inside information, you don't have to worry about it, AG will not take him back and as I said earlier, XW won't want to come back. Who would quit on their team, reflect about it and then feel comfortable joining them for another season? He's gone if it is what it appears to be. If he comes back and plays, then it isn't.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Was this in question?
Every member of the team had his doubters this season. Crutcher was no exception. But I was not one of them.

Just read the first post--" Crutcher's lack of strength was never more obvious than today".

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 03-08-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
We need an impact grad transfer, bad. Preferably a point guard or a big. We have 2s and 3s coming out of our ears.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Who would quit on their team, reflect about it and then feel comfortable joining them for another season?
With all due respect, isn't that exactly what Crosby did last offseason? Quitting on your team doesn't have to only mean on court.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Some of you need to get a life
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
General

Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
With all due respect, isn't that exactly what Crosby did last offseason? Quitting on your team doesn't have to only mean on court.
Huge difference. Crosby didn't hang his team out to dry. He was unhappy with a discipline that happened to him during the offseason and announced he was leaving. Pretty fair really. He didn't sign up to play for AG so something happened and he gave notice. Then he asked for forgiveness and came back. Had he done it during the season that would've been another matter.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-08-2018), jack72 (03-09-2018), sopaw10 (03-09-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I see Trey and Josh providing some high quality leadership for next year's team... most likely co-captains. They will show the team what kind of effort level is needed day in and day out.

Gotta love the returning starting backcourt as well - really impressive for a couple of freshmen.

Also looking forward to watching Kostas progress, he is the main reason I'm sad the season is over... as he was just getting a feel for the college game.

Mikesell had the surgery so he will gain more range of motion... he was already a good player as a freshmen, but had trouble staying with his man laterally. My bet is he will contrbute heavily next year on both ends of the court.

Cohill, Matos and Toppin will be the wild cards... while I'm sure Cohill will bring some additional firepower to the offense, can the 3 of them play defense and rebound??? If so, it should move the Flyers back into the top 4 of A10.
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Obi's ready to roll

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...zVBKO/new.html

Posted on instagram:
“I’ve sat out this year and learned a lot,” Toppin said. “I’m gunna miss you (Darrell Davis) and (Joey Gruden). I wish I could have played with ya. But now the time has come, the moment I’ve been waiting for my whole life. I’m finally going to be able to play with my brothers!!”
16 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (03-09-2018), Atlantic 10 (03-08-2018), BeckysTXA (03-09-2018), Bonziflyer (03-09-2018), Bucketnight (03-08-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-08-2018), CT Flyer (03-09-2018), Fairborn Fan (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), Flyer69ers (03-08-2018), JimBo (03-09-2018), MNFats (03-08-2018), Runnin' Rebel (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-10-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-08-2018), TommyGola (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Obi's ready to roll

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...zVBKO/new.html

Posted on instagram:
“I’ve sat out this year and learned a lot,” Toppin said. “I’m gunna miss you (Darrell Davis) and (Joey Gruden). I wish I could have played with ya. But now the time has come, the moment I’ve been waiting for my whole life. I’m finally going to be able to play with my brothers!!”
Love the positive attitude and enthusiasm. If he has skills to match, he’s going to be a lot of fun to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), Radar (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
We.
Need.
Another.
Point.
Guard.
Option.
To.
Back.
Up.
Crutcher.

(Learning to play better D wouldn't hurt either)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), WarriorPride (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
I don't hate our 5 for next year, we'll be pretty good.

Agree. A stronger 6 - 9 will make a big difference.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It has been almost 10 hours and no announcement of who is leaving. How can you all stand it?
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
It's always about speculation, so here's what I think the roster of scholarship players looks like for next year

Cunningham
Mikesell
Toppin
Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Matos
Cohill
Landers
Svoboda
Kostas

I think if Crosby had played today, he had a 50/50 shot at returning. I'm guessing by not sniffing the court, he's not coming back, leaving 3 additional openings.

Whether or not they all get filled is an open question, and if they do, by freshman, transfer(s) who have to sit a year, grad transfers, or jucos remains to be seen. One thing for sure, it will be an interesting off-season. I hope our "insiders" will have access to information that they can share along the way.
Good analysis, TxFlyerFan. My only difference of opinion is, I'm not 100% sure Crosby won't be returning next year. From what little I've heard, he hasn't had disciplinary issues since he rejoined the team last summer, and he has generally had a decent attitude (and yes, I know there must be some reason why CAG played Westerfield over him - I just don't know the exact reason). He just doesn't have the level of "game" to earn more minutes.

If he wants to come back next year (knowing his odds of earning more PT are extremely slim), and is in good standing with the University from both an academic and a disciplinary standpoint, and isn't causing the kind of problems that have been reported in the cases of Pierce and Williams, I don't think UD/CAG would yank the scholly from him. That is, unless they have 3 guys ready to sign-on-the-dotted-line for 2018-19, who are all good "fits" for the U and the basketball program.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
By all accounts, if Crosby's a good student and working hard, then he deserves to stay regardless of output (see Svoboda). I'm just speculating he won't want to with such limited playing opportunities. Could be totally wrong though.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), MNFats (03-09-2018), UDGutter2 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute

Cunningham
Mikesell
Toppin
Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Matos
Cohill
Landers
Svoboda
Kostas
I'd buy that guess.

Yes...people are speculating. With that said, some things are painfully obvious and much of that starts with what scholarship players didn't sniff the floor in place of a walk on. That is all I need to know without being punched in the face.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Let's not forget the top of the league (this year) comes back to us as well. Rhody and Bonnie senior heavy, albeit some young talent as well. St Joe's was injury prone but their studs will be moving on. Same for VCU.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
SoTier Flyer (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It has been 18 hours since the end of the season. There still has been no announcement from UD. What are they hiding?
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
I think this offseason is very much like last in that we are looking at a lot variables and a lot of roster turnover. Last year, we knew what we were getting in Cunningham and DD. Next year, we know what we are getting in Cunningham and Landers. Everything is up in the air. This past season, most of the "ifs" worked to the negative.

There are 3 things that are different in my mind. Believing Crutcher will move forward seems a better bet than XW progressing (even before the issue), there is a vocal leader in Landers, and AG and staff have had time to recruit "their" players whether it be HS, Juco or transfer.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
It has been 18 hours since the end of the season. There still has been no announcement from UD. What are they hiding?
Bone bruises
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Other than the obvious lack of bulk, Kostas just needed to learn the nuances of college rules and their application (read that referees who show how outrageously human they are every night ).
Refs also tend not to account for freakish athleticism. Several times this season Kostas was called for over the back when he didn't even touch the opposing player, he simply reached over them and grabbed the ball from behind. The refs assumed this had to be a foul and called him for it.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (03-09-2018), BeckysTXA (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (07-10-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-09-2018), Ready Action (03-09-2018), redbengal (03-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (03-09-2018), st marys (03-11-2018), tirebiter (03-11-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Based on what I've seen, I believe both Crutcher and Davis come back stronger and better. There's a reason why most teams don't start multiple freshman. In HS, you may be the "man", but in college, there are many "men" on the floor, most of which are stronger, faster, and more experienced than what you played against in HS. I think Crutcher and Davis had pretty remarkable seasons this year and with that year of incredible experience, a summer of lifting, shooting etc., I think you're going to see even better things next year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Refs also tend not to account for freakish athleticism. Several times this season Kostas was called for over the back when he didn't even touch the opposing player, he simply reached over them and grabbed the ball from behind. The refs assumed this had to be a foul and called him for it.
Don't forgot the "foul" on the 3pt shot block where he didn't come close to touching the player.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
tirebiter (03-11-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
What's most telling about this, to me, is that he didn't see the court in a game where the only other true PG on the roster was in foul trouble.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018), Wallage (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
By all accounts, if Crosby's a good student and working hard, then he deserves to stay regardless of output (see Svoboda). I'm just speculating he won't want to with such limited playing opportunities. Could be totally wrong though.
Assuming that Crosby feels that he can continue to play at the D1 level, where is he going to go to get more playing time than he gets at UD? I don't think he'd want to give up the game day experience he gets at UD or the level of facilities he has access to. (They don't build those NBA level facilities for nothing.) On top of all that, he'd have to sit out a year and would only have one year left of eligibility. UD is his only best option at this point. He needs to work his a$$ off this summer and hope he can compete for some PT next season.

Last edited by N2663R; 03-09-2018 at 09:24 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-09-2018), MNFats (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Let's not forget the top of the league (this year) comes back to us as well. Rhody and Bonnie senior heavy, albeit some young talent as well. St Joe's was injury prone but their studs will be moving on. Same for VCU.
This is what a lot of people forget. You can’t look at this in a vacuum. We are returning probably the most minutes played in the league. Next year looks promising.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 AM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
I think Crosby could succeed at the low-major D1 level. When he has a significant athletic advantage over his defender, he can be effective. He is a good athlete. As soon as the defender's athletic ability starts to catch up to Crosby's, then he has to rely on skill and decision making and it all falls apart.

Yesterday's VCU game really seals the deal on Crosby's future, for me anyway. We had 9 minutes left in the game (so, basically forever) and we needed a PG. Crosby didn't get off the bench. If he can't help, he's gotta go. Just my $0.02.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), Gazoo (03-09-2018), redbengal (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant General

John will be a senior, Don't think AG will pull his scholarship, especially if he is on track to graduate. Decision to leave would have to be John's. The other two non-contributors need to be gone, both players had real unusual situations. Haven't seen anything quite like it.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
John will be a senior, Don't think AG will pull his scholarship, especially if he is on track to graduate. Decision to leave would have to be John's. The other two non-contributors need to be gone, both players had real unusual situations. Haven't seen anything quite like it.
and if sticks around, AG will start him on senior day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Is it legal for AG to pull his scholarship if there is no cause? I didn't think a coach could take someone's scholarship away because of poor play.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Agree. A stronger 6 - 9 will make a big difference.
Having a 6-9 will be different. Kostas provided a 6 the last month, but prior to that not a lot of options.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM
General

Is it legal for AG to pull his scholarship if there is no cause? I didn't think a coach could take someone's scholarship away because of poor play.
Scholarships have traditionally been a 1 year, renewable thing. Most schools automatically renewed the scholarship as long as there were no issues with the student-athlete and the student-athlete wanted to return. Some schools have started making all 4 years guaranteed up front, but that is not an NCAA requirement. If CAG didn't want to give him a 4th year, he is not legally required to, however if Crosby really wants to return next year and hasn't caused CAG or the school any headaches, they would most likely honor that 4th year.

Assuming he's engaged in both the class room and the court, you could do a lot worse than John Crosby as your 12th man. With Crutcher and Cohill, you'd probably be hard pressed to get a senior graduate transfer of note to fill that 12th man roll.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-09-2018), Gazoo (03-09-2018), UDTradition (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Several times this season Kostas was called for over the back
No such thing. It's either a push or a no call. No such rule...wish youth parents would understand that.

Agree with your overall comment...

Last edited by shocka43; 03-09-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
You start just pulling these things for no real reason other than he's not very good at BB and you're committing coaching suicide unless you have a resume that is comparable to top coaches and even they have to be very careful.He really can't just pull it if JC is honoring his SA part of the schollie and he's never had any warnings or issues in practice, in regards to academics, off court issues, etc.

AG simply can tell him that he won't see any playing time based on his ability right now and that he simply "suggests" that transferring to another school would be best for JC if he still has aspirations of seeing the court.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
I'm not sure about the legality of pulling a ship due to poor play, but as previously discussed there are several ways to persuade a player to forfeit their ship. One obvious way is to tell the individual they are unlikely to get any minutes the following season.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Scholarships are for one year and renewable. Legally crystal clear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cunningham
Mikesell
Toppin
Crutcher
Jordan Davis
Matos
Cohill
Landers
Svoboda
Kostas

For argument's sake, let's say this is dead on. So:

With Crosby, 2 open Scholarships?
Without Crosby, 3 open Scholarships?

On Crosby I'm not sure whats going on behind the scenes if anything, i know there was an attitude problem very early on with AG over either accountability or academics. His bench demeanor is ok and he gives effort, he's just not very good. But i like the kid. I hope he's back, unless he wants to go star on a DII team, then i wish him well. I'm with Shocka, i'd rather have a solid guy, goes to class, gives effort and a 1 star then headaches and a 3 star. Isn't Crosby some sort of Academic honor roll player?

Pierce and X, sayonara and i wish we could scrub you from UD lore
Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Bone bruises
There's a Detwon Rogers joke in there somewhere
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
can someone Find OBI Toppins high school stats please?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
can someone Find OBI Toppins high school stats please?

At Ossining HS - Senior year:
"...However, he grew nearly 5 inches going into his senior season and finally became a dominant force for the Pride. He averaged 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game while blossoming into a local high school star."

at Mt. Zion - Prep year:
"...He found the right stage to prove himself last season at Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore. Toppin sprouted to 6-foot-9 and 200 pounds after adding 32 pounds to his lithe frame through weight training. On the court, he averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists playing on the wing against elite competition..."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/c...ton/330563001/

https://uw-media.indystar.com/video/...pagetype=story
Bonziflyer (03-09-2018), BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2018), Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (03-09-2018), steverino015 (03-10-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Brigadier General

Steve's senior year was much better than Pierce's if I recall.
I prefer to not see Steve mentioned in the same breath with Jordan Pierce...for better or worse.

STF has been commenting, mostly sarcastically(i think) about XW and JP quitting/transferring/booted timeline since the loss. Im making the same remarks with zero sarcasm. The sooner those bums are gone the sooner next year starts with clean slate
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2018), rollo (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:31 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
"...However, he grew nearly 5 inches going into his senior season and finally became a dominant force for the Pride. He averaged 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game while blossoming into a local high school star."

at Mt. Zion - Prep year:
"...He found the right stage to prove himself last season at Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore. Toppin sprouted to 6-foot-9 and 200 pounds after adding 32 pounds to his lithe frame through weight training. On the court, he averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists playing on the wing against elite competition..."

So you're saying that Toppin is going to be about as old as Svoboda was this year? According to some posters that is ancient....
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Scholarships are for one year and renewable. Legally crystal clear.
Posted via Mobile Device
True - there is not a legal issue here, but if I'm a recruit and I can choose between a school honoring scholarships and a school that yanks them away based on my on-court performance...Even if I am confident in my abilities I would eliminate the risk and lean towards the school that shows loyalty to its players.

It's bad for recruiting.

Off the court issues? That's a whole different issue. No problems taking those scholarships away.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
True - there is not a legal issue here, but if I'm a recruit and I can choose between a school honoring scholarships and a school that yanks them away based on my on-court performance...Even if I am confident in my abilities I would eliminate the risk and lean towards the school that shows loyalty to its players.

It's bad for recruiting.

Off the court issues? That's a whole different issue. No problems taking those scholarships away.
Does it really matter when almost every school does it? Dayton has done it. I can't recall a single recruit that we have missed out on because they were afraid their scholarship might get pulled. This really isn't an issue, especially if we are talking about someone who wasn't one of Grant's recruits. I'd be more concerned with our talent evaluation if we found ourselves routinely pulling scholarships for on-court performance.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad for recruiting.

Agree with this completely. That is why individuals like Alex G in 2014 get a talk that they will not play much if at all in 2015 but welcome to stay, therefore Alex's call to stay or go.

Crosby likely will be in this category for next year. John, you are welcome to stay as you are positive and a great person, but transparently your playing time in 2018-2019 is likely to be reflective of the last 5-10 games of the 2017-2018 season.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Does it really matter when almost every school does it? Dayton has done it. I can't recall a single recruit that we have missed out on because they were afraid their scholarship might get pulled. This really isn't an issue, especially if we are talking about someone who wasn't one of Grant's recruits. I'd be more concerned with our talent evaluation if we found ourselves routinely pulling scholarships for on-court performance.
I don't think this happens nearly as much as you seem to think. The more common scenario is a heart-to-heart between player and coach about playing time which leads to a mutual parting. I can't think of a single instance where UD (or another school) told a player with zero off court issues that he wasn't welcome back next year despite the player wanting to stay. I'm not saying it's never happened - just saying I can't think of a situation and it seems pretty rare.

As for your comment about not recalling us ever losing a recruit because of it - I have 2 responses.

1.) Because I don't think we have actually done it
2.) I don't think we ever know why a recruit ultimately chose another school
Old 03-09-2018, 03:34 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post

at Mt. Zion - Prep year:

Pretty consistent. We'll need his boards (and passing)more than his scoring next year. Of cousre we'll take points and close to the basket work.

Hoping he can commit to playing DE - FENSE. Spelling Josh/Kostas. And not losing much when he's on the floor
Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Nobody is getting pushed out. The rotation for next year is pretty set with the top 8-10 guys (Cunningham, Landers, Mikesell, Matos, Crutcher, Davis, Antetekumnpo, Svoboda Toppin, Cohill). In order of class, not playing time. Svoboda is likely #10 on that depth chart, and while unsure of how much Toppin and Cohill play, I expect them to get a shot as "Grant's recruits"). Anyone else we bring in will have an uphill battle for PT. If Pierce is gone, I hope we bring in a raw athletic big man to try to mold. You can't teach size.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 PM
General

I can't recall a single recruit that we have missed out on because they were afraid their scholarship might get pulled.
You asked every player who chose another school over UD and that's what they told you?

Did you even ask 1?

I'm being a bit harsh, but this is the sort of internet-based definitive statement that is utterly indefensible. It might be 100% true but you would never say "I can tell you with 100% certainty this doesn't happen."

Now tell me "all I said was I can't recall" which is 100% true. It's just not a worthwhile statement. I can't recall a single player from the 1994 national championship team but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
You asked every player who chose another school over UD and that's what they told you?

Did you even ask 1?

I'm being a bit harsh, but this is the sort of internet-based definitive statement that is utterly indefensible. It might be 100% true but you would never say "I can tell you with 100% certainty this doesn't happen."

Now tell me "all I said was I can't recall" which is 100% true. It's just not a worthwhile statement. I can't recall a single player from the 1994 national championship team but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Did you not read the definitive statement that I was responding to? It's not my burden of proof and that was only a small part of my post. If you disagree with my opinion, fine, but spare me the BS.

Last edited by bcross; 03-09-2018 at 05:19 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Playing around with running a player off scholarship or how you handle a kid can definitely have repercussions in recruiting. High school or AAU coach encourage kids not too consider your school. It's the not the kids that care but the advisors
Old 03-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Colonel

I don't think this happens nearly as much as you seem to think. The more common scenario is a heart-to-heart between player and coach about playing time which leads to a mutual parting. I can't think of a single instance where UD (or another school) told a player with zero off court issues that he wasn't welcome back next year despite the player wanting to stay. I'm not saying it's never happened - just saying I can't think of a situation and it seems pretty rare.

As for your comment about not recalling us ever losing a recruit because of it - I have 2 responses.

1.) Because I don't think we have actually done it
2.) I don't think we ever know why a recruit ultimately chose another school
It's a message board. People are going to use "pull a scholarship" instead of a "highly suggestive conversation between a player and coach about playing time which leads to a mutual parting" because it is easier. That's how coaches "pull" scholarships in most cases. Call a spade, a spade.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Do we know Crosby isn't in the doghouse? Not to the level of Pierce/X obviously.

After a couple of the games where Westerfield played and Crosby didn't during A10 play the DDN asked about it AG mentioned hard work in practice as why. That's kind of a veiled shot at Crosby, no? Or has AG just had total a loss in confidence in his ability?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM
General

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
We need an impact grad transfer, bad. Preferably a point guard or a big. We have 2s and 3s coming out of our ears.
Agreed, we need to be aggressive on the grad transfer market. I'd really like someone who's a good defender. I think we've got enough guys to score to next year.

I'd take a 2/3 or any position if we can get a high level guy
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
priceg75 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Colonel

It's a message board. People are going to use "pull a scholarship" instead of a "highly suggestive conversation between a player and coach about playing time which leads to a mutual parting" because it is easier. That's how coaches "pull" scholarships in most cases. Call a spade, a spade.
Except that those are two different things.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the scholarship from X or Pierce because, from what we have heard, AG can support that decision with off-court behavior that was detrimental to the team.

The other guys? I wouldn't call that "pulling their scholarship". If you need help finding a shorter way to say what it really is - I can probably help you out.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie had a talk with each player as to where they were and what they had to do moving forward. Both sides talking. I Remember Staten came in and wanted to stay and Archie said no way Jose. It may take a few weeks before we hear who is leaving.
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Colonel

Except that those are two different things.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the scholarship from X or Pierce because, from what we have heard, AG can support that decision with off-court behavior that was detrimental to the team.

The other guys? I wouldn't call that "pulling their scholarship". If you need help finding a shorter way to say what it really is - I can probably help you out.
The coach is still pushing the guy out the door. That conversation is only ending with one result. It's like the guy that resigns after coming to "mutual" decision instead of getting fired. Or that break-up that was "mutual" when you really got dumped.

People love to say things are "mutual" as a way to spin or rationalize them. They're only kidding themselves.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Colonel

The coach is still pushing the guy out the door. That conversation is only ending with one result. It's like the guy that resigns after coming to "mutual" decision instead of getting fired. Or that break-up that was "mutual" when you really got dumped.

People love to say things are "mutual" as a way to spin or rationalize them. They're only kidding themselves.
The difference is that those players still have the option to stay if they are happy with the playing time being offered. Maybe the coach is trying to get them to leave by saying the playing time isn't going to be there, but ultimately it is the players choice in those instances.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 PM
General

Did you not read the definitive statement that I was responding to? It's not my burden of proof and that was only a small part of my post. If you disagree with my opinion, fine, but spare me the BS.
So someone said something stupid, and to prove your point you said something just as stupid?

Suffice to say, I will not spare you when you say no one ever doesn't accept a scholarship for that reason when you have 0% knowledge to back up that statement.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Colonel

The difference is that those players still have the option to stay if they are happy with the playing time being offered. Maybe the coach is trying to get them to leave by saying the playing time isn't going to be there, but ultimately it is the players choice in those instances.
Grant Gelon

This is our former coach. Kid decides to return after the "We don't see you fitting into our plans here" talk. AAU coach is contacted and then is on the phone talking to him about transferring and telling him Indiana may push him off the team. Was his scholarship pulled? Technically, no. Did he have a choice? No. Shines a little more light on when Ralph Hill tweeted about the choice not being his own when he transferred.

These are the same college coaches who are the subject to an FBI investigation. The same coaches and universities that have swept some horrific crimes under the rug over the years. They'll keep incidents involving athletes out of the news or do their best to silence the story. It's PR management to them. Controlling the narrative that it was a "mutual" decision is just another example.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 PM
Colonel

So someone said something stupid, and to prove your point you said something just as stupid?

Suffice to say, I will not spare you when you say no one ever doesn't accept a scholarship for that reason when you have 0% knowledge to back up that statement.
What's really your issue? So, we both made statements that we have "0% knowledge" on or something. Why do you care? This is such an odd thing to trigger this lecture.

Last edited by bcross; 03-09-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Academy Doolie

SoTier Flyer will become famous soon enoughSoTier Flyer will become famous soon enough
Without accounting for potential transfers, UD would return 84% of minutes played. Surprisingly, this is only 3rd in the A-10: George Mason returns ~100% and Richmond returns 94%. As Radar mentioned, the top teams lose significant experience: Rhode Island returns 40%, St. Bona 54%, Davidson 52%, and St. Joe 66%.
Mad Props to SoTier Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoTier Flyer View Post
Without accounting for potential transfers, UD would return 84% of minutes played. Surprisingly, this is only 3rd in the A-10: George Mason returns ~100% and Richmond returns 94%. As Radar mentioned, the top teams lose significant experience: Rhode Island returns 40%, St. Bona 54%, Davidson 52%, and St. Joe 66%.
Yes, and it’s not only minutes, but the production those teams lose. RI and Bona lose a ton of points and will struggle mightily.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:05 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SoTier Flyer View Post
I looked at the rosters of the bottom 3, and found it interesting that Davidson’s graduation losses will be mostly in the frontcourt, but Bona’s graduation losses will be almost entirely in the backcourt. Put the two together, and you might have a heckuva squad for next year.

Also, for all those graduation losses, Rhody will still have a decent core to build around. Russell in the backcourt and Langevine up front are pretty good. But yeah, they’ll definitely have some holes to plug.

And I’d imagine that St. Joe’s 66% returning isn’t too far from the norm, when you consider 4 academic classes per team (not including grad transfers), and that seniors generally play more minutes than freshmen (unless you’re UK, where you regularly have tons of freshmen and hardly any seniors).
Posted via Mobile Device