User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Would VCU, Xavier or Butler be happy to be under .500 after their numerous coaching changes?

When Wichita St. lost 3 starting guards who had been multi year starters such Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker (to the NBA) would the expectation there to be under .500?
Now you went and stirred it up.

We're not those programs. We want to be those programs, but it feels better to give excuses why we don't live to those expectations.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-22-2018), ud2 (02-22-2018)
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I don't even understand OSU Flyer's post. We weren't talking about being happy being under .500. We were talking about being happy if we were 16-11, 10-5.
True. And under ordinary circumstances, at this point in our program’s history, I wouldn’t be happy with 16-11, either. But ordinary circumstances don’t include losing an entire coaching staff. Ordinary circumstances don’t include losing 4 starters (3 of them 3-year starters) to graduation. Ordinary circumstances don’t include losing a top returning player to a season-ending injury before the season even starts. Ordinary circumstances...aww, he!!, you get the idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Those other programs are smart enough not to construct their roster in such a way that they essentially lose every starter from one season to the next.
Whether it’s being smart, being lucky, or something else, that’s why “class imbalance” has concerned me. Sure, you get the best players you can, when you can. And there’s no question that the 4 seniors who graduated reached heights never before seen at UD. But such a concentration of talent in one class, at our present level of competition, can leave a huge void one it’s gone. And it did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Whether it’s being smart, being lucky, or something else, that’s why “class imbalance” has concerned me. Sure, you get the best players you can, when you can. And there’s no question that the 4 seniors who graduated reached heights never before seen at UD. But such a concentration of talent in one class, at our present level of competition, can leave a huge void one it’s gone. And it did.
Posted via Mobile Device
They key is to have guys waiting in the wings. Wichita St lost their backcourt two seasons ago. Last year they almost beat Kentucky
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
This thread was fun while I was reading about how well Kostas played and how Landers is a beast. And then like every other thread, it turned into a pi$$ing match with one person arguing that the VCU win was like a buy-game and then his partner in crime arguing that VCU would not tolerate the season we are having. Then I got to read about how the SBU win from TWO MONTHS AGO shouldn't really count because one of their star players MIGHT have been hurt because he had a bad game. Excuse me while I go poke out my eyes.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sticks 'n Stearns For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (02-22-2018), CvilleFlyer (02-22-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-22-2018), longtimefan (02-22-2018), Monster Man (02-22-2018), priceg75 (02-23-2018), Townie (02-22-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-22-2018), UD62 (02-22-2018), UDEE79 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I like to post these post-game recaps to have a discussion about the various aspects of the game. I sometimes read the game thread and even post at halftime or maybe something after the game but when I'm watching, I'm not on the computer. But for me, I like to read how other's viewed the game and individual/team play within. I don't know how to keep the unrelated responses from infecting these though, wish I did.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
It is unbecoming of a senior to throw the ball to a freshman let alone a redshirt freshman. Where have ya'll been? Seriously this happens a lot and not just at UD. Years ago Brooks Hall mentioned something about it during an interview when he was recounting his freshman year.
All freshmen are not created equal!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I like to post these post-game recaps to have a discussion about the various aspects of the game. I sometimes read the game thread and even post at halftime or maybe something after the game but when I'm watching, I'm not on the computer. But for me, I like to read how other's viewed the game and individual/team play within. I don't know how to keep the unrelated responses from infecting these though, wish I did.
I enjoy reading different analysis of the games. I add my own comments as well as unpopular as they may be.

St. Louis game was incredible to watch as a fan and it was fun to see the different strategies and execution. UD wins only if Kostas has the impact he had. A key part of strategy is execution.

This team has been erratic and unpredictable this year. It often like watching two different teams.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Maybe Bess decided he didn't want to go to UD - twice.
Maybe he found out he'd have to go to class.
Mad Props to MikeFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
If you truly believe that 16-11 and 10-5 would be shabby this season considering we lost four starters, two top reserves, etc, etc, then it seems you are incapable of having a reasonable discussion on the matter. I think any UD fan (except you, apparently) would be happy to have that record right now considering the circumstances we are in.

All I can say is that I vehemently disagree.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

All I can say is that I vehemently disagree.
Since we’re discussing fantasy land, what DO you think the record should have been this year? Keep in mind that 6 of the top 8 players from last year in terms of minutes played are now gone due to graduation or injury The 2 remaining were XW and DD. 1 of those guys hasn’t progressed...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
They key is to have guys waiting in the wings. Wichita St lost their backcourt two seasons ago. Last year they almost beat Kentucky
True, and for whatever reason, we didn’t have enough guys with the right degree of experience ready to step-in. But, for a variety of reasons, we were short on that kind of depth. Plus, there’s a world of difference in having to replace 2 guys and 4 guys, when you only have a maximum of 13 players, and often 2-3 scholarships don’t get used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Since we’re discussing fantasy land, what DO you think the record should have been this year? Keep in mind that 6 of the top 8 players from last year in terms of minutes played are now gone due to graduation or injury The 2 remaining were XW and DD. 1 of those guys hasn’t progressed...
Posted via Mobile Device
Longtimefan67, I’m in your corner on this, but I do have 1 minor correction to offer. It’s 5/7 from last year’s top players in terms of total minutes, not 6/8. And really, it’s 5 of the top 6, since DD was #7 on that list. And finally, the one who did return and was in the top 6 (XW) isn’t the same player that we saw last year.

So (as countless people have said on this board for the past 3+ months), half the team is essentially new to the sport of college basketball. Some of those have developed into contributors. Some have a way to go yet in that regard. And, of the guys who returned with experience, as you said, some have progressed (DD & JoshC), while others have not (XW & JohnC). So, yeah, the season has been a disappointment, but in retrospect, that should not have been a total surprise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Longtimefan67, I’m in your corner on this, but I do have 1 minor correction to offer. It’s 5/7 from last year’s top players in terms of total minutes, not 6/8. And really, it’s 5 of the top 6, since DD was #7 on that list. And finally, the one who did return and was in the top 6 (XW) isn’t the same player that we saw last year.

So (as countless people have said on this board for the past 3+ months), half the team is essentially new to the sport of college basketball. Some of those have developed into contributors. Some have a way to go yet in that regard. And, of the guys who returned with experience, as you said, some have progressed (DD & JoshC), while others have not (XW & JohnC). So, yeah, the season has been a disappointment, but in retrospect, that should not have been a total surprise.
Posted via Mobile Device
The good news is that Kostas may have had his breakout game. I know i wear rose colored glasses, i have no illusions of NCAA trip this year but...stranger things have happened so i never throw in the towel until the clock hits “0”. Three weeks ago if UD were down 13 early in the second half the only question would have been “how much do we lose by or do we go down fighting”. I sense a different mentality the last few weeks. Every year you see a team put it together and peak at the right time, upsets happen and next thing you know you have a team playing in the first round with a 14-17 record. Lets play it out and ponder in the off season- the team still has at least 4 games left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
True. And under ordinary circumstances, at this point in our program’s history, I wouldn’t be happy with 16-11, either. But ordinary circumstances don’t include losing an entire coaching staff. Ordinary circumstances don’t include losing 4 starters (3 of them 3-year starters) to graduation. Ordinary circumstances don’t include losing a top returning player to a season-ending injury before the season even starts. Ordinary circumstances...aww, he!!, you get the idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
And you're forgetting the most important player we lost to this year's team, Big Steve.

Imagine:
Crutcher
DD
Trey
Cunningham
Steve

Off bench: XW, Mikesell, JDavis

That's a team that would have struggled early in the year but would be a legitimate threat to make the NCAA tournament at this point. Cunningham would be an absolute beast as the weak-side post player and Steve would be setting records for blocked shots.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Major General

Can you imagine Big Steve with Kostas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Using the rpi wizard: http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Dayton.html

At a minimum, I think it is reasonable to say that we should have been able to beat Penn at home, sweep UMass, win at Duquesne, and win at GM. That puts us at 18-9 and solidly in the NIT and solidly in the top 3 in the A10. Over the final 3, maybe lose at URI, win at LaSalle, and beat GW at home. Finish at 20-10, rpi 41, sos 52, and maybe looking at an 11 seed or the First Four or a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT.

If I am probably being unreasonable, I think we should have only lost to Miss State on the road, Auburn on the road, Old Dominion on a neutral court, SMC on the road, URI at UD Arena, at VCU, and at SLU. We would be 20-7. Maybe lose at URI, win at LaSalle, and beat GW at UD Arena to finish at 22-8, rpi 23, sos 52, and looking at maybe a 5 or 6 seed.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...fm/team/dayton

Las Vegas agrees with me.

If we had just won all the games that we were favored in, we would be 19-8 right now:

Hofstra, Penn, at Duquesne, UMass x2, and at GM.

And per rpiforecast, we are supposed to finish 1-2. So, we would be at 20-10 with a chance to make the NCAAT, maybe depending on our A10T performance.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
If we had just won all the games that we were favored in, we would be 19-8 right now.
That's never the case...you usually snag one or two you weren't expected to win...that hasn't happened this year.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...fm/team/dayton

Las Vegas agrees with me.

If we had just won all the games that we were favored in, we would be 19-8 right now:

Hofstra, Penn, at Duquesne, UMass x2, and at GM.

And per rpiforecast, we are supposed to finish 1-2. So, we would be at 20-10 with a chance to make the NCAAT, maybe depending on our A10T performance.
Actually, if we beat Hofstra we would've most likely then lost to Clemson and Auburn just like they did and that wouldn't have effected our record. This team wasn't going to NCAA tournament regardless. There just weren't enough quality wins available that we could reasonably look at and say that would've gotten us to the big dance. NIT maybe.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Major General

Just seeing how difficult it was for UD to be included in the last 4 years told me how hard it would be with the amount of turnover in players from last year to this year to make the dance. Of course again...anything could happen in the A10 tournament. Am i expecting it? No, but if you get hot at the right time ....anything is possible. I thought if all went extremely well this would be an NIT team. At this point its likely neither, but i like the way its shaping up for next year where likely UD will be a favorite to win the regular season title or near the top 2-3 teams that could do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I thought if all went extremely well this would be an NIT team.
Bingo. Operative words: "if all went extremely well." 18-12 would have been a very good record with these players and under the circumstances.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Bingo. Operative words: "if all went extremely well." 18-12 would have been a very good record with these players and under the circumstances.
I shot for 16-17...that's about where we are at.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Actually, if we beat Hofstra we would've most likely then lost to Clemson and Auburn just like they did and that wouldn't have effected our record. This team wasn't going to NCAA tournament regardless. There just weren't enough quality wins available that we could reasonably look at and say that would've gotten us to the big dance. NIT maybe.
If we beat Hofstra, then lose to Clemson and Auburn, the sos goes from 52 to 39. That is a significant improvement in the sos. UD did a good job with the sos this year, it is too bad that the sos is not this good every year.

You folks kill me with the stuff about this being an automatic non-NCAAT/non-NIT year, I think people just changed their expectations as the season played out vs. what their expectations really were at the start of the year. Nobody thought that we would make the NCAAT in Archie's 3rd, 4th, or 5th year.

I am definitely posting a poll at the start of next season to gauge people's expectations. I wish that I would have done so at the start of this year.

Last edited by ud2; 02-23-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
You folks kill me with the stuff about this being an automatic non-NCAAT/non-NIT year, I think people just changed their expectations as the season played out vs. what their expectations really were at the start of the year.
Count me as guilty on this. I thought we could be an NIT team, but I honestly had no idea what to expect. Was Kostas going to be the second-coming of his brother? Was Crosby going to improve significantly? As soon as I had the answer to those questions, I changed my expectations.

I do find your RPI numbers interesting. If I understood what you were saying, it appears that we're not as far off as I thought. A few close losses away from being an NIT team, which is what I thought was reasonable if the stars aligned.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
If we beat Hofstra, then lose to Clemson and Auburn, the sos goes from 52 to 39. That is a significant improvement in the sos. UD did a good job with the sos this year, it is too bad that the sos is not this good every year.

You folks kill me with the stuff about this being an automatic non-NCAAT/non-NIT year, I think people just changed their expectations as the season played out vs. what their expectations really were at the start of the year. Nobody thought that we would make the NCAAT in Archie's 3rd, 4th, or 5th year.

I am definitely posting a poll at the start of next season to gauge people's expectations. I wish that I would have done so at the start of this year.
You kill me with this, like nobody was supposed to change their thinking after they actually saw this team play.

X has been a non-entity. Kostas just had his best game by far, after a season where he mostly hasn't played. Svoboda has been a negative stat sheet stuffer. Pierce should have redshirted. And Crosby nearly transferred, and clearly regressed. If just some of those players were decent to good, this is an NIT team. If they all show up, borderline NCAA.

But after actually watching this team, it was pretty clear that they are talent deficient. So we should still expect the NCAAs? I don't get your point at all.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
X has been a non-entity. Kostas just had his best game by far, after a season where he mostly hasn't played. Svoboda has been a negative stat sheet stuffer. Pierce should have redshirted. And Crosby nearly transferred, and clearly regressed. If just some of those players were decent to good, this is an NIT team. If they all show up, borderline NCAA.
You need to realize that in ud2's mind all those things are AG's fault. If AG had simply waived his magic wand all those guys would have been great.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Fly (02-23-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-23-2018), UD62 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:39 AM

You need to realize that in ud2's mind all those things are AG's fault. If AG had simply waived his magic wand all those guys would have been great.
Agree to disagree. You blame the players, I blame Grant.

I do not think this roster got about 100 rpi points worse over the off-season.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 AM

You kill me with this, like nobody was supposed to change their thinking after they actually saw this team play.

But after actually watching this team, it was pretty clear that they are talent deficient. So we should still expect the NCAAs? I don't get your point at all.
I do not think the roster is talent-deficient, plain and simple. I think Grant is the entire problem. Archie would be doing much better with this exact roster.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I do not think the roster is talent-deficient, plain and simple. I think Grant is the entire problem. Archie would be doing much better with this exact roster.
Like XW, Archie quit the program. Any suggestion of what he would or would not have accomplished this year is meaningless.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 AM

That's where you are wrong. Way wrong.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (02-24-2018), Monster Man (02-24-2018), SeasonTicketFan (02-24-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
General of the Air Force

Being the dumb (but not blind) optimist that I am, I think I figured this team to finish the regular season with either 17 or 18 wins, with Mikesell out but everyone else dedicated to the program. Probably a little too optimistic, there, but I didn’t forecast guys quitting on my Alma Mater.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
..,Any suggestion of what he (Archie) would or would not have accomplished this year is meaningless.
Unless you have the ability to change history so that Archie stayed here instead of going to IU (and then change it back), or unless you’re an angel named Clarence, no one “knows” how Archie would have done with this team. Suffice to say, in retrospect, I think anything at or above 20 wins could only have been accomplished by a coach named Wooden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
All this talk about if this and if that ...... and then arguing amongst yourselves means some of you have been in your basement too long.

Drop your donut and walk away from the keyboard ...
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
My take is Archie likely would have been able to eek out an extra win or 2. Coach Grant by contrast has shown better at 1. getting a key player with short notice who contributed his first year; 2. clearing out those with a poor work ethic. So in all, I’m good with CAG.