User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
If I were bucky I would pronounce it KOSTAS
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (07-26-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (06-30-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-28-2016)
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2016, 12:24 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Looks like we may have been lucky more than thieves
in signing Kostas. I read that both St Johns and Purdue,
the two other schools he made official visits to, didn't have
an open scholarship available to sign him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Obviously, Dayton was incredibly unlucky to lose Steve so tragically, but they still had one scholarship open by design. So rather than call UD lucky, I give credit to Archie for his planning to have a scholarship available for the likes of a Kostas while other programs did not.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (06-29-2016), FLYER5 (06-29-2016), Runnin' Rebel (06-29-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-29-2016), Tony T 71 (07-01-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 AM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
"Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."...Chuck Noll
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-29-2016), Tony T 71 (07-01-2016), UD62 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Obviously, Dayton was incredibly unlucky to lose Steve so tragically, but they still had one scholarship open by design. So rather than call UD lucky, I give credit to Archie for his planning to have a scholarship available for the likes of a Kostas while other programs did not.
Arch is having good results from his strategy of delayed selection. What would be unlucky is if another key player went down with no more options available this coming season. The 2 worst losses would be Scoochie or Kendall.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (06-29-2016), FLYER5 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Plus we all know that if a prospect is coveted by the power conferences oftentimes they will make room by processing one of the lesser regarded players on the roster to make room for that player. More prevalent in football due to the disparity in numbers but it happens in basketball too.
The thing that rules out luck for me in regard to the inavailability of schollies is the amount of time that went by without some program jumping on him. The media makes it into a big coup but no one committed to the young man until late in the recruiting process. Then only two power teams had made a serious bid for his services, UF and PU. I think it's a case of Archie and staff seeing more in the player and therefore offering the scholarship when some others had cold feet or just passed.
I responded to you because you referred to the team as positionless. This is one of those players. Maybe positionful, though.
A player with two older brothers in the league does not fly under any radar. Their misfit could be Archie's slipfit. I expect huge growth and an upward climb to the nba for him. Not particularly because of this marriage but his type game and frame transfers well. Plus the guy has the genes.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 AM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
OMG. LOL!! That was a horrible call by the ref. The kid is clearly moving his body.
I agree, that kid was moving, that was a block. That was a bad call.

Rollo the Ref, you want to chime in with your opinion?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
OMG...that's a block 99.99% of the time. I'm guessing the ref was standing too far to the left and his view must have been blocked. From the angle shown, however, the call is so clear that even Clayton would have made the proper call.

Last edited by rollo; 06-29-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
So, a ref actually made a mistake and made a bad call! Hmmm, I thought that NEVER happened!

Last edited by ud2; 06-29-2016 at 10:52 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-29-2016), UDGutter2 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I really like how Kostas just gets up, runs down the floor and gets ready to play D. No debate, not even a glance at the official. Good or bad, the call has been made, now play ball.
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CraSch View Post
I joke with the people in my section that Baby D wears the number 1 because he's so thin no other number would fit. Is there any number skinnier to fit on Kostas uni? I just checked the roster, not added yet, curious as to what number he will be.
I hope Archie pulls a Tommy Lasorda and gives him #99. Kind of like how he nicknamed Hersheiser "Bulldog" to try to motivate him.

Posted via Mobile Device
UD is a much better program than St. Johns. StJ went 1-17 in the NBE last year, 10-8 before that, 10-8 before that, 8-10 before that, 6-12 before that, and 12-6 in the 2010-2011 season. (6-12, 6-12, 5-13, 7-9, 5-11, 3-13, got tired of checking further back than that. . . ) There is no "coup" in taking a player from StJ, they have been a fair-to-midland kind of program for a long time.

Purdue, while not a perennial top-5 kind of powerhouse, is a very good program. We should feel pretty good about landing a kid who was looking seriously at them.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Thought Purdue had spots open, but it was Florida that offered but had no spots until 2017. If we scooped Florida, that's a lot more impressive than Purdue.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I also had been under the assumption that Purdue did have an open spot as priceg75 suggested but maybe not...

Anyway, UD has plenty going for it, but the allure of the Big Ten (Purdue) and playing for a name school in NYC (St. Johns) is nothing to sneeze at. But each kid is going to look at different selling points differently. Measuring Dayton against other programs is perfectly natural, but it's really an exercise in futility to try to figure out how a particular 17 year old kid is going to measure Dayton against other programs. Unless it's your kid, and even then, good luck with that. I know it's easy to get excited about what programs a recruit chooses Dayton over or to get bummed when Dayton loses recruits to other programs that you might rate as a lesser situation, but it's not really worth obsessing over in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
I really like how Kostas just gets up, runs down the floor and gets ready to play D. No debate, not even a glance at the official. Good or bad, the call has been made, now play ball.
Think he might have learned that from playing driveway hoops with his brothers?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Think he might have learned that from playing driveway hoops with his brothers?
Perhaps SD, though if Kostas had a driveway, it wasn't until he moved to Milwaukee.

The Antetokuonmpos lived in tremendous poverty in Greece until Giannis changed the family's fortunes. Here's an older article that really goes into quite a bit of detail on the family and what they have been through:
http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articl...html?viewall=1

But your point is well taken - Kostas has had some good role models to look up to. When you consider the kind of adversity they have overcome, complaining about a ref's bad call hardly seems worth the effort.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (06-30-2016), Bucketnight (06-29-2016), ruechalgrin (06-29-2016), Runnin' Rebel (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
Some comments from the Purdue folks.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/kostas.96687/
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bigudfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (06-30-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-30-2016), udflyerfan (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigudfan View Post

Some cocky bad attitudes on that site.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (06-29-2016), Justin (06-30-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-30-2016), Smitty10 (07-03-2016), udflyerfan (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh...Purdon't. They can take solace in knowing they are on average the 4th best basketball program in the state of IN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Purdon't recruited Big Steve...I believe.
Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Captain

FlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
Ahh...Purdon't. They can take solace in knowing they are on average the 4th best basketball program in the state of IN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Purdon't recruited Big Steve...I believe.
Yupp, but they got Swanigan and think they dropped out of that running.
Mad Props to FlightClub.33.32.15.1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Yup.

I did like the guy who said that Dayton is the kind of team that Purdue should schedule,
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-16-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 PM
2nd Lieutenant

ortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really nice
purdue

Just posted on there board asked them to look up the last time they played UD.
Mad Props to ortez52 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
From a team that last won a NCAA tournament game in 2012 and last made the Elite 8 in 2000
Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ortez52 View Post
Just posted on there board asked them to look up the last time they played UD.
I love to play that game with UK fans. Never fails they act stupid (natural) like they do not know what I am talking about. Usually a Louisville fan mouths off in the conversation, and I can burn them with three straight Flyer victories, two of which happened on their own court.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
One win over UL was on their floor; the other was neutral in Cincy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
One win over UL was on their floor; the other was neutral in Cincy
Posted via Mobile Device
January 22, 2000 We Win at Freedom Hall 91-68
November 26, 2006 We win at US Bank Arena (neutral game)
December 2, 2007 we win again at Freedom Hall

So as I said, 3 straight, 2 of which were on their own court.

Source- Dayton Flyer media guide which I just had to spend 5 minutes going to and looking up to confirm my facts were correct, and add the dates of the games for your enjoyment. Thanks again for incorrectly trying to correct what I said. Happened multiple times in the last year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-30-2016), flyerfanatic86 (06-30-2016), jack72 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:40 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Someone tell sWimpy he's off topic. He either needs to start talking about Kostas or change the thread's title.

Off topic posts are against his rules.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 AM

Thumbs up summer entertainment

We are in the summer slog, but that was actually pretty entertaining. Interesting to hear the P5 posters drink their own bath water and swap ignorance. There were some big schools sniffing around Kostas, but lil' ol' Dayton and Archie Miller stole their cookie. I love it that the commitment was so quiet, Kostas was gone before they knew it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (06-30-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-30-2016), Smitty10 (07-03-2016), TA111 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Someone tell sWimpy he's off topic. He either needs to start talking about Kostas or change the thread's title.

Off topic posts are against his rules.
Rules dont apply to everyone equally here - you're worse than most who have been banned

Last edited by NCkevi; 06-30-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (08-06-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas kept things quiet on his end too. I scrolled through his twitter account for the past couple of months and there was no mention of his visits to any school.
https://twitter.com/Kostas_ante34
i did find this local station's video story of the bond between he and Giannis from March.
http://www.wisn.com/sports/love-and-...court/38518636
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM

There's a reason he fell into our laps...any takers?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Detwon Rogers told him it was a good place to get a free meal.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-16-2016), flyerfanatic86 (06-30-2016), jack72 (06-30-2016), Justin (06-30-2016), rollo (06-30-2016), TA111 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute

I attended Purdue for a short while and am bantering back and forth with them on their site. Easy to do given their lack of performance lately(UALR). Agree they think their stuff doesn't stink but their performance says otherwise.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Must've signed his papers then. Let's hope that his Greek high school background isn't going to mess up his qualification.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Staff Writer

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
January 22, 2000 We Win at Freedom Hall 91-68
November 26, 2006 We win at US Bank Arena (neutral game)
December 2, 2007 we win again at Freedom Hall

So as I said, 3 straight, 2 of which were on their own court.

Source- Dayton Flyer media guide which I just had to spend 5 minutes going to and looking up to confirm my facts were correct, and add the dates of the games for your enjoyment. Thanks again for incorrectly trying to correct what I said. Happened multiple times in the last year.
My bad
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-30-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Looks like older brothers serving mandatory military service. I wonder if Kostas will have to do the same?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas gets his U-20 Euro Division B Championship started at 11:45 this Morning against Ireland
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (07-15-2016), UDEE79 (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
He is not listed on the roster - hopefully that is just an oversight.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20b/2016/Greece#

Assuming he is playing, you should be able to track the game here:

http://www.fiba.com/ls/#12474&12475-C-2
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
He is not listed on the roster - hopefully that is just an oversight.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20b/2016/Greece#

Assuming he is playing, you should be able to track the game here:

http://www.fiba.com/ls/#12474&12475-C-2
He's #34... Under a different name, that is him though (picture & bday are his)
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
He's #34... Under a different name, that is him though (picture & bday are his)
Good call - That's him.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
General of the Air Force

If anyone is bored like heck at work and wants to watch it lol... live stream of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WpsmEZs9RI
He is coming off the bench
Old 07-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Colonel

Bummer - 6 minutes left in a blow out win and he's the only one not to get in the game.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Bummer - 6 minutes left in a blow out win and he's the only one not to get in the game.
Probably still hurt and they are hopefully being cautious
Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM

Probably still hurt and they are hopefully being cautious
What is his injury?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
What is his injury?
Greek tweak.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-18-2016), ud2 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
https://translate.google.com/transla...as&prev=search

7-10-16 A bit difficult to read because it is a translation, but Kostas is mentioned near the end of the second paragraph. Evidently he somehow fell and had to ice his knee.

He did play some today.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 07-17-2016 at 02:26 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (07-17-2016), ud2 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Colonel

He played in 2 games over the weekend. Total of 14 minutes. 1/9 shooting with 7 boards and 2 blocks.

I haven't been watching - so not sure if he is missing open looks or taking bad shots. No idea. Either way this is good experience for him and will help him improve.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Major General

While I think Kostas was a huge get for UD, I think it's important to remember UD didn't sign this kid for the player he is right now, but the player UD thinks he can become. His ceiling may be the highest of any player on the roster, but he is pretty raw. So I'm not expecting him to get many minutes his freshman year.

I believe he is either the youngest or second youngest on Greek's roster; his inclusion was in the name of getting him experience, helping develop him for future international success. He'll have the opportunity to earn minutes of course at Dayton, but I think the minimal impact he has had with the Greek U-20 team is about what we should expect as fans in his freshman season.
Canonball (07-19-2016), Sid Louick (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
While I think Kostas was a huge get for UD, I think it's important to remember UD didn't sign this kid for the player he is right now, but the player UD thinks he can become. His ceiling may be the highest of any player on the roster, but he is pretty raw. So I'm not expecting him to get many minutes his freshman year.

I believe he is either the youngest or second youngest on Greek's roster; his inclusion was in the name of getting him experience, helping develop him for future international success. He'll have the opportunity to earn minutes of course at Dayton, but I think the minimal impact he has had with the Greek U-20 team is about what we should expect as fans in his freshman season.
If what you are saying is true, then he is WAY OVER RATED as a recruit. Top 100 recruits are EXPECTED to produce as freshmen. Just look at the A10 that has very few top 100 recruits every year. The All Freshman team consistently has players that start and average in double figures. Granted, he will be playing on a team with 4 proven senior starters so that will reduce his numbers but you paint a picture of a project. If he is a project, many on this board will be highly disappointed.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
If what you are saying is true, then he is WAY OVER RATED as a recruit. Top 100 recruits are EXPECTED to produce as freshmen. Just look at the A10 that has very few top 100 recruits every year. The All Freshman team consistently has players that start and average in double figures. Granted, he will be playing on a team with 4 proven senior starters so that will reduce his numbers but you paint a picture of a project. If he is a project, many on this board will be highly disappointed.
That is really not true. The ranking are projections of what they think the players will eventually be, not what they expect from them now. That it why there are so many busts. It is not easy to project 16-18 year old kids 3-5 years out.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Major General

Absolutely a project. Ranking of 89 indicative of his upside.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Colonel

He'll have the opportunity to earn minutes of course at Dayton, but I think the minimal impact he has had with the Greek U-20 team is about what we should expect as fans in his freshman season.
I expect more than this from him on the Flyers. Let's not forget, the Greek U20 team is a bunch of players currently playing professionally and Kostas who just got out of high school ball in Wisconsin. He was never meant to be an impact player on this team.

I don't expect him to be our best player or anything, but I expect regular minutes and I expect him to make an impact on defense and on the glass. He may be limited early in the season, but I hope his role can expand as the season goes on.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:08 PM
Major General

I expect more than this from him on the Flyers. Let's not forget, the Greek U20 team is a bunch of players currently playing professionally and Kostas who just got out of high school ball in Wisconsin. He was never meant to be an impact player on this team.

I don't expect him to be our best player or anything, but I expect regular minutes and I expect him to make an impact on defense and on the glass. He may be limited early in the season, but I hope his role can expand as the season goes on.
Agree that it's a huge jump from high school ball to international. He's had no time to adjust or gel with teammates. Comparatively, Kostas will have more time at Dayton to learn the system and a longer season to assert himself. But keep in mind, Dayton is a very good team (or should be at least - knock on wood) with a lot of upperclassmen. I think they'd probably beat the Greek U-20 team. So talent-wise, it's not like the road to significant playing time will be much easier.

Bottom line: I don't expect Kostas as a freshman to be better than Xeyrius Williams is as a sophomore. Better than Xeyrius was as a freshman? Perhaps. In any case, I think those two will battle for playing time. Hopefully, they both benefit from those battles and make each other better.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:58 PM

If Kostas does get minutes over Xeyrius, it could be as a spot duty in the lane on defense. He seems to have a nose for timing the swat.

But on offense his attacking the basket from the top of the key will result in a strip 3 out of 4 times from the clips I have seen. He seems lithe enough to avoid the charge, but the handle is very much a target for the opposition's quick defensive hands.

It will be fun to watch him develop. Same thrill as Kendall, different body.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I remember when Sean Finn was a "project"
Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
One advantage Kostas has is that he has been able to play against an nba player one on one. While basketball is a team sport it also requires beating the man covering you and he will probably be ahead of many freshmen in that regard.

It is always fun to guess at a player's ceiling when they begin their college careers. It will be fun to see how rapidly he improves
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM
1st Lieutenant

bhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to behold
Agree that it's a huge jump from high school ball to international. He's had no time to adjust or gel with teammates. Comparatively, Kostas will have more time at Dayton to learn the system and a longer season to assert himself. But keep in mind, Dayton is a very good team (or should be at least - knock on wood) with a lot of upperclassmen. I think they'd probably beat the Greek U-20 team. So talent-wise, it's not like the road to significant playing time will be much easier.

Bottom line: I don't expect Kostas as a freshman to be better than Xeyrius Williams is as a sophomore. Better than Xeyrius was as a freshman? Perhaps. In any case, I think those two will battle for playing time. Hopefully, they both benefit from those battles and make each other better.
I would be very surprised if he's just a project coming in. A lot of those who do these evaluations say that he could be a one or two-year college player and then jump to the NBA. He specifically came to UD because of the opportunity to play right away rather than ride the bench and get scrap minutes at a biggER-type of program. I expect him to play at least 10-15 minutes a game this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bhflyer5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), Iguomaniac (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by bhflyer5 View Post
I would be very surprised if he's just a project coming in. A lot of those who do these evaluations say that he could be a one or two-year college player and then jump to the NBA.
I'd be shocked if he landed in the NBA after one or two years, though the name on the back of his jersey could be enough to excite an NBA GM if he flashes enough potential early on in his career. But again, I would be very surprised. Now, what would surprise me much less is if he played one to two years and decided to turn pro in Europe. Even if he barely played as a freshman, he could turn pro and get a really nice contract. The thing that helps him is he is a Greek citizen so is not subject to restrictions on how many Americans are allowed on those European clubs. But I am sure the NBA is the ultimate goal, and it's not as if his family needs money since brother Giannis has "made it" so there shouldn't be pressure on him to go earn a paycheck like there are on many kids who have made ill-advised decisions to leave school early.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be shocked if he landed in the NBA after one or two years, though the name on the back of his jersey could be enough to excite an NBA GM if he flashes enough potential early on in his career. But again, I would be very surprised. Now, what would surprise me much less is if he played one to two years and decided to turn pro in Europe. Even if he barely played as a freshman, he could turn pro and get a really nice contract. The thing that helps him is he is a Greek citizen so is not subject to restrictions on how many Americans are allowed on those European clubs. But I am sure the NBA is the ultimate goal, and it's not as if his family needs money since brother Giannis has "made it" so there shouldn't be pressure on him to go earn a paycheck like there are on many kids who have made ill-advised decisions to leave school early.
Dallas, I'm curious. Have you seen Kostas play several times--against various levels of competition? Just trying to understand why you are so certain about his skill set and development at this point?

I'd like to think a top 100 recruit will contribute more than a "project" would. If you have first hand experience with his level of play (seen him play, have experience scouting 18 yr olds,etc.), please fill us in so I can determine whether I should reset my expectations.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
I'm very very excited about this young man!

Now my natural born pessimism: Florida the only other offer, seems pretty odd...
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
I'm very very excited about this young man!

Now my natural born pessimism: Florida the only other offer, seems pretty odd...
Is that correct?

The below links show offers from Dayton, Florida, Memphis, Iowa State, BC, Marquette, Purdue, and St. John's.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kos...cruitInterests

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/4796
Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 AM
Colonel

Is that correct?

The below links show offers from Dayton, Florida, Memphis, Iowa State, BC, Marquette, Purdue, and St. John's.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kos...cruitInterests

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/4796
http://www.si.com/college-basketball...kounmp-commits

Four-star forward Kostas Antetokounmpo has committed to Dayton, he announced Thursday.

Antetokounmpo is the No. 98 prospect in the country, according to Scout. He’s ranked No. 21 at his position of power forward.

Antetokounmpo chose Dayton over Florida, the only other school from which he had an offer from. The younger brother of Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kostas currently attends high school in Wisconsin.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Falcon7 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), FLYER5 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Colonel

Brandom Ingram 6'9 190 lbs. 2nd pick in the draft. Very similar body type, just saying... You do not have to be a physical specimen to be a great basketball player.
Mad Props to Falcon7 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
He hasnt qualified yet. Thats why others were scared off. Archie is rolling the dice. This is the kind of gamble that can pay massive dividends....
Old 07-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
He hasnt qualified yet. Thats why others were scared off. Archie is rolling the dice. This is the kind of gamble that can pay massive dividends....
I think it was a well worthwhile risk, even if he doesn't qualify, he will just have to sit out a year, it gets more difficult to land good players that late in the offseason.

I am still having a lot of difficulty believing that Dayton and Florida were the only offers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (07-20-2016), skip69 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think it was a well worthwhile risk, even if he doesn't qualify, he will just have to sit out a year, it gets more difficult to land good players that late in the offseason.

I am still having a lot of difficulty believing that Dayton and Florida were the only offers.

I agree. We likely weren't going to land another player at this point, really a no lose proposition.
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe at that point Dayton and Florida were his only committable offers.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Seems that we have conflicting information on the number of offers, from 2 to as many as 8.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
What's the point. Doubtless he could have had a hundred offers from schools that could not land him.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
What do you mean by committable offers?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC, are there not significant concerns surrounding his early Greek high school transcripts that still may keep him from clearing the NCAA? And would that not keep some of the power 5 schools from official offers until that was resolved?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Major General

What do you mean by committable offers?
Not all offers are committable. Sometimes a kid is offered but told he cannot commit yet, or that they are waiting to see what other players do before they are allowed to commit. It is dumb, but it's something that happens in football and basketball recruiting.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), ud2 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Major General

The way I understand it is typically a coach offers to say we're really interested. Then recruitment heats up if the interest is mutual from a player, a visit is scheduled, etc. But coaches are of course looking at other players and may move on at some point and get to a point where they are pressing for a commitment elsewhere and the earlier offer is no longer commit-able. Though the offer isn't usually rescinded, it's just communication has stopped. And if coaches aren't talking and texting you, the recruit won't commit so it just sort of works itself out.
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), San Diego Flyer (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 PM
1st Lieutenant

CJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the rough
Pretty funny reaction video to the Kostas dunk. Video had 6k retweets on twitter. Check it out.

https://twitter.com/famouslos32/stat...75395295125504

Apologies couldn't figure out how to convert this to the forum so you didn't have to click the link.
Mad Props to CJ43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I don't really care if Florida was his only other offer. Getting a lot of mileage out of his UD commitment and passing on the Gator offer. My Gator friends are hearing about this one big time.

Have committed to bring a Gator friend to watch Kostas in The Arena this coming season to see what they missed. Hope Kostas drops a bundle that night.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-25-2016), Flyer 86 (08-08-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
I remember when Sean Finn was a "project"
Sean was definitely a project. Only 131 minutes (4.7 per game) and 32 points (1.1/game) his Freshman season. He still averaged less than 20 minutes a game as a Sophomore.

Hopefully Kostas is way beyond that level of being a project right now but has the same arc to his career that Sean had, improving a lot each year to be a one of our stars before it is all said and done.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016...-antetokounmpo

Can't wait to see him with 20-30 more pounds on him.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Al For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (08-06-2016), Bonziflyer (08-06-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (08-05-2016), jack72 (08-06-2016), Runnin' Rebel (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016...-antetokounmpo

Can't wait to see him with 20-30 more pounds on him.
I love the phrase, "once he reaches the NBA"

When is opening tip???
Old 08-05-2016, 11:04 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why so many Priders believe he is a project. He is ready for the floor now. A spin move from a kid 6'8"...nothing but impressive. He will present huge match-up problems.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I don't understand why so many Priders believe he is a project. He is ready for the floor now. A spin move from a kid 6'8"...nothing but impressive. He will present huge match-up problems.
"It was clear he didn't have a set role in the offense while in high school. The majority of his production came off of running the floor in transition, offensive rebounds, and hitting wide open shots when left uncovered."

That's why. Those words are code for "better athlete than everyone on the floor but not highly skilled." YET. If he were incredibly skilled the article would be all about how they would clear out a side for him or play a 2 man game to take advantage of his ball handling or post moves or passing. Instead it sounds like they told him "see ball get ball dunk ball".

This is not to say there's not potential I just think he needs time developing against high level competition instead of 5'11" farm boys.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
While his HS plays in the small division during the playoffs, the play the top level teams during the regular season in and around Milwaukee and Madison. It's not 5'11" farm boys all season long.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:11 AM
General of the Air Force

I wish I knew archie or the coaches personally. I would ask them for their confidential opinion on how happy they were when Kostas committed.

He can be better than the GREEK FREAK???????? I will really look forward to the Red/Blue game and give my prediction. But, based upon that article and comments from his brother he could become the type of player who could help take UD to the final four.

And he will certainly have a coach and staff that can help him maximize his potential
Old 08-06-2016, 11:59 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
This kid is no project.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 PM

The true definition of a "project" is elusive. IMO by the end of his Freshman year Kostas will have an impact like Kendall had at the end of his Freshman year. If Kendall had 2 older brothers with pro experience we would have heard about heaps of potential. But it would not have changed his maturity on the court, or his productivity. It's more about what the Flyers need out of a good Freshman playing with 4 really good Seniors who have been playing together for 3+ years.

Kostas is beginning his college career a skinny Freshman. No escaping that. He just happens to come from great b-ball lineage. Kendall also had the additional advantage/burden (pick one) of having to grow up quick due to the duffus felony twins. We have excellent rebounders in Cunningham, Pollard, and Cooke. We have scorers. We have excellent defensive players.

Point is, not a huge splash is needed out of Kostas this season.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (08-07-2016), Gazoo (08-08-2016), rollo (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM

This kid is no project.
6'9" and 190 lbs...he's a project with high potential.

Forget his last name and bloodlines, it didn't help Frank Iguodola...and let's get him academically eligible before declaring he's headed anywhere.

Patience is a royal virtue.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Brigadier General

I find this whole discussion quite amusing. I would wager that less than 5 people who contribute to this board have ever even seen him--let alone see him on a basketball court. i asked Dallas Flyer earlier in this thread how he came to the conclusion he is a project.

Crickets.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (08-07-2016), Sid Louick (08-07-2016), UD62 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
The true definition of a "project" is elusive. IMO by the end of his Freshman year Kostas will have an impact like Kendall had at the end of his Freshman year. If Kendall had 2 older brothers with pro experience we would have heard about heaps of potential. But it would not have changed his maturity on the court, or his productivity. It's more about what the Flyers need out of a good Freshman playing with 4 really good Seniors who have been playing together for 3+ years.

Kostas is beginning his college career a skinny Freshman. No escaping that. He just happens to come from great b-ball lineage. Kendall also had the additional advantage/burden (pick one) of having to grow up quick due to the duffus felony twins. We have excellent rebounders in Cunningham, Pollard, and Cooke. We have scorers. We have excellent defensive players.

Point is, not a huge splash is needed out of Kostas this season.

95% agree SDF. And eloquently put. However i take issue with referring to The two "Doofus Felons" as that. I prefer the Two Piece of $hit Felons. Two hulking basketball players that make 18-22 year old girls fear for their safety are not "doofuses" They are Pieces of $hit
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), San Diego Flyer (08-07-2016), UDGutter2 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Major General

I find this whole discussion quite amusing. I would wager that less than 5 people who contribute to this board have ever even seen him--let alone see him on a basketball court. i asked Dallas Flyer earlier in this thread how he came to the conclusion he is a project.

Crickets.
Missed that. Sorry. It's not a knock on him. Having read what a lot of people in Milwaukee saw, the common opinion is that he is just raw. That said, he could very well be an NBA star. A lot of this I think has to do with that growth spurt. When you basically go from 6'6 to 7 foot over night, it takes a bit of time to adjust. I could be wrong but I think he's a project in that he lacks polish. Totally worth it however because the upside is so incredibly high; higher than most recruits who come in with more polish.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM

6'9" and 190 lbs...he's a project with high potential.

Forget his last name and bloodlines, it didn't help Frank Iguodola...and let's get him academically eligible before declaring he's headed anywhere.

Patience is a royal virtue.
6'9" and 190lbs is absolutely a project, no exceptions. What? Brandon Ingram went #2 in the NBA draft. No chance that kid will amount to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 PM

6'9" and 190lbs is absolutely a project, no exceptions. What? Brandon Ingram went #2 in the NBA draft. No chance that kid will amount to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can't compare a McD All-American one-and-done freak athlete with our Greek friend any more than you can compare me to any other 6'2" 200 lb NFL cornerback.

We had this same discussion about Josh Benson a couple years ago...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
You can't compare a McD All-American one-and-done freak athlete with our Greek friend any more than you can compare me to any other 6'2" 200 lb NFL cornerback.

We had this same discussion about Josh Benson a couple years ago...
Not saying you're wrong, but I will say that you also can't compare an AM recruit to a BG recruit.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), rollo (08-08-2016), TA111 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 AM

Actually I think you can equate one to the other. Where the road reaches the fork is in the ability to develop the recruit. Would love to have seen Roberts, Wright, Searcy, Benson, Johnson, Staten, et al, develop under Archie and his staff and his system.

If the statue comes out wrong, you can't blame the putty.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-08-2016), jack72 (08-08-2016), ud2 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Colonel

His skill is raw - no doubt. But I would define a project as someone who won't see the court much their first year.

He specifically said he chose UD so he could get minutes as a freshman. I'm assuming Archie told him he plans to give him minutes. So while he probably has a ton of room to grow - I would not put the "project" label on him since it sounds like Archie plans to use him this year as a part of the regular rotation.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM
General

His skill is raw - no doubt. But I would define a project as someone who won't see the court much their first year.

He specifically said he chose UD so he could get minutes as a freshman. I'm assuming Archie told him he plans to give him minutes. So while he probably has a ton of room to grow - I would not put the "project" label on him since it sounds like Archie plans to use him this year as a part of the regular rotation.
For the record I would not define him as a "project." Finn was a project, he was not good his freshman year but developed into a real asset. Nothing about this guy is a project. He's just not The Natural. He'll come in ready to contribute something in the first year and from there will progress as his hard work defines. That could potentially include the NBA. I could also potentially include being a 3 year starter who never averaged over 10 PPG. Or maybe the 6th man award.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (08-09-2016)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM

When the King is royally bored he often goes back in time see what was being discussed, especially as it applies to recruits. I vividly recall the excitement generated whey Kostas signed and how the NBA was awaiting this Greek non-project. With no further words, and will all due respect to my minions that I multi-quoted, this thread is a good read.

King Rollo the Historian...OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4waZe1UD2Mg

Unreal talent!

I Also can't stop giggling, good luck Bucky lol
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Perhaps he finally got word he wasn't going to be a lottery pick this draft, but hey there's always next year...
If Kevin Youkilis is the Greek God of Walks, then the original Greek Freak, Gianni's Antetokuonmpo is the Greek God of Positionless Basketball. If you watched the NBA Draft, it's obviously the new buzz word with Draymond Green being another poster child. I really think that's what Dayton sold Kostas on and why they were able to come out of left field on this guy. Positionless basketball is what Dayton basketball has largely been about in the last few years - think Kendall Pollard grabbing a rebound and going coast to coast.
If you have not watched the youtube of this guy, do so. He is a special talent. Still needs weight and polish, but he has all the tools: hops, handle, a shot, quickness, shot blocking, hands and vision. Based on what our staff has done with player development, I am flat out drooling!
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
As a Junior, he was also coming off the bench behind Diamond Stone (Maryland big, drafted early 2nd round last night) and another big that played for a P5 program, forget exactly who, so its not like he was sitting the bench in favor of johny short stacks.

Additionally, he's grown from 6'-6" to 6'-10ish in the last few seasons (similarly his brother grew from 6'-8" to 6'-11" over the course of his 1st NBA season, so perhaps their family all hit latish growth spurts) so I'd imagine that takes some time to get used to dealing w/ the additional length.

At any rate, you can clearly see the talent on film, the biggest question is how hard is he willing to work, how well is he willing to listen, how easily will he avoid the pit falls that all college freshman are faced with the first time they step away from home. The length is there, the leaping ability is there, the handle and athleticism is there, its all fairly clear even if the competition is several notches below what he'll see in college, what we can't see, and hopefully Archie has judge properly is his heart and desire. If he has even a half of Kyle Davis' heart he's going to be very good.
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Welcome Kostas!

I think he is a great fit, will get playing time and have a staff that will be great at helping him improve

Pretty good chance he isn't here four years but that happens...
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Big brother who is a rising NBA star saying Kostas has the better shot and is the better athlete

Others comparing him to Kevin Durant

6'10 and says he can run the point for us

Is it premature to be buying airplane tickets to Phoenix next March?
Originally Posted by sabo2 View Post
I don't care what position he plays, I saw a player with NBA potential. He can move, dribble and finish. If he has heart and desire, he can be a special player. We usually don't get these kinds of players; tip of hat to coaching staff.
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
looks like he can handle the ball pretty well....he will help us out right away
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
This kid is no project.
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
For the record I would not define him as a "project." Finn was a project, he was not good his freshman year but developed into a real asset. Nothing about this guy is a project. He's just not The Natural. He'll come in ready to contribute something in the first year and from there will progress as his hard work defines. That could potentially include the NBA. I could also potentially include being a 3 year starter who never averaged over 10 PPG. Or maybe the 6th man award.
NJFlyr71 (01-29-2018), Radar (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I sure am glad that I didn't have any posts!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (01-29-2018), rollo (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I sure am glad that I didn't have any posts!
I didn't make Rollo's greatest hits list either!
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM

This kid is no project.
That was an ignorant comment! For the record, right now Kostas is a project.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-29-2018), ruechalgrin (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
That was an ignorant comment! For the record, right now Kostas is a project.
And he is our best rated recruit on the roster at #102 ...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-29-2018), rollo (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
When the King is royally bored he often goes back in time see what was being discussed, especially as it applies to recruits. I vividly recall the excitement generated whey Kostas signed and how the NBA was awaiting this Greek non-project. With no further words, and will all due respect to my minions that I multi-quoted, this thread is a good read.

King Rollo the Historian...OUT!
OMG! You must be bored!

And Out I shall let my self do!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-29-2018)