User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Colonel

Thanked 2,703 Times in 950 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Articles on Assistant Coaches

Some of these may have been posted before, I don't recall.

I'll start with today's on Ricardo Greer
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...ef=cbTopWidget

Darren Hertz
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...nKNTfHAMNSWrI/
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...Jm4a6HdJpTzEJ/

James Kane
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...p8Ud9G9OIFy7K/

Anthony Solomon
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...tlSeja3lQCNDN/
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-29-2017), OSU Flyer (05-29-2017), SC_Flyer (05-31-2017), springborofan (05-28-2017), TA111 (05-29-2017), tirebiter (05-28-2017)
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2017, 10:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,219 Times in 493 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Great job by Jablonski writing these articles.

I thought the other day that this staff includes a former head coach (and a top assistant at both Georgetown and Norte Dame), three members from the staff at U of F that won multiple national championships, and a former long time player in Europe. To say this is not a quality staff is to look at the glass well below half full.

While I think AM's staff did a great job, the pedigree of this staff, at inception, is much stronger than AM's staff when assembled.

Maybe this is wishful thinking but it would be great for Greer to use his European connections to get some quality players from across the pond over the next few years.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Don is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the rough
Great recruiters

Recruiting high caliber talent is the key to success in college basketball and I've seen several comments on this board about how our new assistants are great recruiters. I hope these comments are correct but is there data somewhere that supports this? Were they the principal recruiter for very many 4-star players that came to their respective schools? Did their respective schools have top 10 or top 20 recruiting classes that they helped recruit? How does one find this sort of data?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,855 Times in 958 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Recruiting high caliber talent is the key to success in college basketball and I've seen several comments on this board about how our new assistants are great recruiters. I hope these comments are correct but is there data somewhere that supports this? Were they the principal recruiter for very many 4-star players that came to their respective schools? Did their respective schools have top 10 or top 20 recruiting classes that they helped recruit? How does one find this sort of data?
Google is your friend. Grant had the #6 class in 2014 and several others in the top 25. These guys are big time recruiters. Solomon was top recruiter at ND. Kane recruited the best classes in Murray St history.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-31-2017), Tony T 71 (05-31-2017), UDBrian (05-30-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 PM
Colonel

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Andy Farrell
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...3wxQ1XRs5c24I/
Devin Davis
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...x6xwm8BK9hbmL/
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,026 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting Davis' position required 5 years pro experience. (He has 14.). That has to be a straight play to appeal to recruits looking to play pro and shows you don't have to go NBA to have a pro career.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Kane I don't think it's fair to judge his success on signing elite players at Murray. Getting a four star prospect or top 20 class in the Ohio Valley Conference is virtually unheard of

Murray seems like they've done a good job of evaluating under the radar talent. I think he was on the staff of Murray when they signed Cameron Payne who ended up being a 1st round pick of the Thunder
Old 05-31-2017, 09:13 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Don is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the roughDon is a jewel in the rough
My friend Google

I consulted my friend Google and found the ff;
Notre Dame BB Recruiting (while Solomon was one of their top recruiters)
2014 #56 3 3-star recruits
2015 #66 2 4-star recruits, 1 3-star
2016 #42 2 4-star & 2 3-star
2017 #99 1 4-star
Pretty decent caliber classes but no top 50 for one of the big name programs.

Murray State (while Kane was one of their top recruiters)
2016 #111 1 3-star recruit
2017 #84 2 3-star recruits
Pretty decent and showing definite improvement from his first to last year

Illinois (while Herta was recruiting for them)
2016 #101 1 3-star recruit
2017 #31 2 4-star & 1 3-star
Impressive improvement

So, I agree the Google data shows these three assistants look to be pretty good recruiters. Great? I'll defer that opinion till they've got two classes under their belts, but the prospects are looking up.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,833 Times in 858 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I consulted my friend Google and found the ff;
Notre Dame BB Recruiting (while Solomon was one of their top recruiters)
2014 #56 3 3-star recruits
2015 #66 2 4-star recruits, 1 3-star
2016 #42 2 4-star & 2 3-star
2017 #99 1 4-star
Pretty decent caliber classes but no top 50 for one of the big name programs.

Murray State (while Kane was one of their top recruiters)
2016 #111 1 3-star recruit
2017 #84 2 3-star recruits
Pretty decent and showing definite improvement from his first to last year

Illinois (while Herta was recruiting for them)
2016 #101 1 3-star recruit
2017 #31 2 4-star & 1 3-star
Impressive improvement

So, I agree the Google data shows these three assistants look to be pretty good recruiters. Great? I'll defer that opinion till they've got two classes under their belts, but the prospects are looking up.
Solomon was at Georgetown last year, which could explain the major decline in recruiting for ND.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (06-01-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Colonel

Strength and Conditioning Coach
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...v5BkVKQRxTbTI/
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanked 1,219 Times in 493 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Strength and Conditioning Coach
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...v5BkVKQRxTbTI/
He commented that three of the five Freshmen are here. I think the second summer session starts next Monday? We should know VERY soon about Svboda. There is no reason to doubt he will not be here, but it will be good to have him here soon!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanked 2,791 Times in 1,819 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Hoopdirt write-up about the additions of Andy Farrell, Devin Davis, and Casey Cathrall to the coaching staff.

https://hoopdirt.com/dayton-finalize...ketball-staff/:

New University of Dayton men’s basketball coach Anthony Grant has completed coaching staff with the addition of three new members – Andy Farrell, Devin Davis, and Casey Cathrall.

Last edited by ud2; 06-28-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Casey Cathrall reading some of this articles seems like a great hire and a major improvement over what the prior strength regime was doing.

Moving from machines under Archie to Olympic/compound movements is great. Rollo I'm sure can weight in on this topic better than me but it seems that compound movements are the accepted wisdom of the strength community
Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,071 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Cathrall=Grandslam by Coach Grant
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Colonel

Dayton MBB tweeted a short workout video today.
https://twitter.com/DaytonMBB/status/891046600189112320
Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,412 Times in 789 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Outstanding video...two things stood out to me. First, it was nice to see Sam Miller looking more athletic than last year. Also, the vertical jump routine was absolutely awesome. I like what I see here, folks.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Just off the Jet

Bigtimeflyersguy is a jewel in the roughBigtimeflyersguy is a jewel in the roughBigtimeflyersguy is a jewel in the roughBigtimeflyersguy is a jewel in the rough
Kind of crazy to think that explosiveness and the use of free weights over stationary machines were not stressed with the last athletic training staff. Add in the fact that TommyGola is surprised to see box jumping exercises begs the question- what the hell have we been doing this whole time? Those were standard stress points for my HIGH SCHOOL team.. Regardless, I'm happy with what Cathrall is doing. Looking to see MAJOR improvements in player physique.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2017, 01:08 PM

TXFlyerFan is a splendid one to beholdTXFlyerFan is a splendid one to beholdTXFlyerFan is a splendid one to beholdTXFlyerFan is a splendid one to beholdTXFlyerFan is a splendid one to beholdTXFlyerFan is a splendid one to behold
Machines are horrible. Unnatural motions on many of them, too isolated. A great workout will use compound movements and utilize your core as well as your other muscle groups. Functional strength cannot be overstated.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-29-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Didn't like the Grant hire but I love all of the assistant hires so far and especially the work with the support staff/grad assistants