UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Article by Bilas about transfer(Miami U)

good article from Bilas and Miami U and lying.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-waiver-system
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch, not a good look at all for the Oxford guys.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:52 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Ridiculous.

I do feel that there needs to be reasonable restrictions in place on transfers. By reasonable, I mean within the current rules in place that you have X amount of years to get your 4 years of eligibility in. Barring hardship, if a kid wants to transfer for any reason, let them transfer. They will undoubtedly only get to do this once, maybe twice if there is a waiver or they burn a year of eligibility.

Regardless if this kid was "ran off" or not. If COVID permitted immediate transfer per the NCAA bylaws, then the kid should be able to transfer no matter what the reason is.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (10-08-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Shocka43: I’m sorry but I don’t follow your train of thought. When I read the article, I believed that the issue is not if the student can transfer from Miami of Ohio to the University of Pittsburgh or not? The issue is whether or not the student needed to sit out a year or get immediate availability to play basketball under the offered scholarship.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Ridiculous.

I do feel that there needs to be reasonable restrictions in place on transfers. By reasonable, I mean within the current rules in place that you have X amount of years to get your 4 years of eligibility in. Barring hardship, if a kid wants to transfer for any reason, let them transfer. They will undoubtedly only get to do this once, maybe twice if there is a waiver or they burn a year of eligibility.

Regardless if this kid was "ran off" or not. If COVID permitted immediate transfer per the NCAA bylaws, then the kid should be able to transfer no matter what the reason is.
You get 6 years to play 4.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:52 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brad S. View Post
I understand this. Which is why it is perfectly fine to regulate transfers without needing to be "released" from an institution they don't want to be at.

Last edited by shocka43; 10-07-2020 at 11:08 PM..
Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 PM

Thanked 6,179 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brad S. View Post
No, just 5, not 6. A 6th year is granted only in rare exceptions.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Shocka43: I’m sorry but I don’t follow your train of thought. When I read the article, I believed that the issue is not if the student can transfer from Miami of Ohio to the University of Pittsburgh or not? The issue is whether or not the student needed to sit out a year or get immediate availability to play basketball under the offered scholarship.
Posted via Mobile Device
I misspoke in my last sentence, I didn't mean to come across that the waiver process was COVID related.

I understood that waiver requests were being approved at a higher than normal clip due to the pandemic and individual reasons for a transfer. Why is he not approved?

I am for immediate play. It puts more stability into programs and the ability to recruit down the road. 4/6 regardless of injury. If I have a need as a coach and a player wants to come in, have at it. I prevents programs from holding open spots, permits players down the road from getting an opportunity a year earlier etc.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:39 AM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
No, just 5, not 6. A 6th year is granted only in rare exceptions.
I stand corrected. I knew that...don't know where I came up with 6.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
A great piece by Bilas, and (unfortunately) a very embarrassing situation for the RedHawkSkins. Charlie Coles must be turning over in his grave, and Darrell Hedric can be none too happy in his twilight years. My, how that program has fallen.
Posted via Mobile Device