UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
AZ State Thread

I got nothing but gametracker. Anyone got video or audio?

UD jumps out to 6-1 lead. Linds kill and 3 straight kills by Yvonne. Couple AZSt errors. Time out AZ State.

We didn't do this last year at this time --- jump on people early.
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
12-3 UD. Time out #2 AZ State. UD hitting .615 with 1 block.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Same here no video, just game tracker
Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
25 - 11 first game.....not bad. Would be nice to watch. Got stuck here in Virginia. limited to the internet.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 AM

UD wins set 1 25-11. AZstate had only 6 kills, 1 block and hit .036. They have a very good setter in Cat Highmark. She was highly recruited out of high school and out defense and offensive pressure limited her to 6 assists. That's half what she would normally have. I know she is an AA, but I'll have to look up at what level (ie HM, 3rd Team, 2nd Team, 1st Team.)

Wow - 4th set we held an opponent at 15 or less.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
General of the Air Force

Sent text to UDBrian to tell them the video is not streaming. Anyone got any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Whew 25-23 what happened that game????
Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 AM

UD wins set 2 25-23. Not sure if AZ State raised their game or we lowered ours, but we found a way to win. I would expect us to come out on fire in Set 3...that's what a championship team would do.

Team hitting .343 (anything in the 300s is excellent).
5 Blocks (I'd like to see 6. We came alive in Set 3 last night. Except to see the same today.)
Jess with 26 assists - 13 average is excellent
Serving 2-2 (Aces to Errors) 50/50 is excellent.

Hey Avid! Great idea to text Brian. My guess is beginning of the year "issues".
Old 08-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Also, Yvonne Marten put on a clinic in sets 1 & 2. And, Megan got introduced to Division I volleyball. Bless her heart! It happens to ALL freshmen. She got a kill and a block with Lindsay and then got blocked, had a hitting error and then a blocking error. It happens. She's going to be great, but the freshman year can be up and down to the extreme sometimes.

Look to see her come back strong. She's a competitor.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Wow they got schooled in that game. Cat and Danica totally dominated. We only got 8 kills to their 19. Total shutdown of our offense and took over the game with their offense.

Need someone to step up and stop Cat and Danica.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM

AZ St takes Set 3 25-13. I don't mind dropping a set. What nobody can be happy about is letting a team score 7 straight points to close it out.

First test of character is coming up in Set 4. It will be interesting to see who Sheff goes with. Got a couple people who are hot and a couple who are not. He's said he'll go with the hot hitters and passers. Can't tell about the passing off GT, but it will be interesting to see who's in this set.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Well a win is a win is a win. Lessens learned by all.

Now back to work. Cant wait to hear what happened in game 3.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 08-28-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Nice match at this point in the season. AZ State challenged us. We didn't respond right away, but dug deep and raised our game back up to close out the match with a 25-18 win.

Marten put on a hitting clinic. 8-0-21 with 1 block. The team put on a blocking clinic in the 4th set. Ended up with 13 blocks - 3.25/set. Add that to last nights (3.5) and we are blocking like crazy. I would expect more of the same tonight and we certainly have a shot at a national Top 5 spot in team average.

Lindsay had 7, Jess and Becky had 5, Kray had 3 and Yvonne, Megan and Amanda chipped in too. Everyone on the net recorded blocks. That's very rare. And when was the last time UD's setter had FIVE blocks? My guess is never. If they keep those records, Yanz probably owns it now.

Good CHALLENGING win cause we're going to get challenged next week in Minnesota big time.

The "downside" we only hit .247 for the match. Had 15 hitting errors. The first number is too low, the second too high. But I think it's an affect of bringing in a new setter who's working to learn all her hitters. Nothing I don't expect to get better over the next couple weeks. Tough to say too much more since there was no video.

Good solid win.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-28-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Got Back from Frericks a few minutes ago.

Few thoughts on what struck me.

- Game one was another clinic. ASU had nuthin'. UD began where they left off against Pitt. We did everything well.

- Game two, ASU clearly stepped it up, more than UD eased up. All the ASU ball strikers were getting a good six inches more on their jumps than set one. They weren't ready to go at all in set 1 and to their credit their second set effort was 200% better. We hung in there and won the set despite the overall set two play for us being up and down.

- Game 3 was fugly. I cant remember watching a more poorly played game in several years. When do we ever get beat by 12 points in a game -- at home. Never. The blame was all over as nobody could put a ball away, dig a ball out, or get any blocks at the net. I thought the setting was very poor in game three. The sets were too far away from the net for front line players -- almost closer to the 10ft line. I dont mind that if back players are stepping into a set, but we kept trying to strike balls from 5-8 feet from the net. It screwed up the angle and allowed for too much air under the ball and ASU dug everything out. Id love to see what we hit in game 3. Yanz just couldnt get the ball where she wanted.

Game four we stepped it up and Yanz did too. Her first two touches were spot-on and that helped us get out to the lead. ASU closed the gap but another spurt got us out in front and we held on for the win.

Tough to tell how good ASU is. They lost to WMU in four sets and WMU is probably in our neck of the woods as far as talent. But ASU isnt going to get rattled and they showed that after that bad first game. Playing in the Pac-10, you have to have a short memory. The black girl of theirs hitting from the back line was pretty tough after she got warmed up.

Seemed like in the last half of game 2 and all of game 3, we couldnt get any blocks at the net. In game four, we started getting some blocks again.

I still think everything at the elite volleyball level is predicated on defense. At this level, everybody can hit. Everybody has tall players. But can you defend?

A great match to give the coaches some stuff to work on. We werent at our best but still won. I like that!

VCU was good last year, but they were playing right after our match with ASU, then again at 7pm. That will be their fourth match in 2 days. I think they are gonna feel their legs go and we sweep the weekend.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Chris R: Game three was 'fugly" I like that term, I can make it anything I want.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Sent text to UDBrian to tell them the video is not streaming. Anyone got any thoughts?
I was at work or I would have leaned in and told them. If there is a problem tonight I will be there. Leaving now