UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2016 Match Threads

2016 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,362 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham Thread

They have a very goof freshman and are better than how they started the season. We need to start fast.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
UD sweeps Fordham. Amber and Kendyll got it going offensively. If you can set your middles, your passing is good. 18-1 and starting to pull away in the a10
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-08-2016), rollo (10-09-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Amber had 10 kills, Kendyll had 12 kills, both with no errors.

Since the 2007 season, this is the first time we've had 2 players with 10 or more kills and no errors. (We've had 2 or more with 9 kills and no errors, last time in 2013 with Campbell (10) and Loiars(9).)
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Is this possibility the best team ever?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
I know the won/loss record is gaudy - and the individual stats impressive at times. However, our strength of schedule has been abysmal. We have not played a single top 50 team - and only 3 in the top 100 - SIU (53), Miami(OH) (55),and LMU(59). Not only is our schedule softer than I can ever remember, the A-10 may be the weakest since we joined the league.

IMHOP, we are a legitimate 35-50 team right now, but not much higher. What would change my mind? Making the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Of course, we have to make the tournament first. Should we not win the A-10 tournament, we can only afford maybe 1 more loss - if that - and hope to get an at-large bid.

With no seniors, however, the future is bright. I fully expect Horsmon will step up the schedule big time next year. We also need some of the traditional A-10 powerhouses - SLU, GWU, etc - to step up their game.

Just one man's opinion.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-11-2016), Figgie123 (10-11-2016), San Diego Flyer (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:05 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I think there are probably a half dozen prior Horsmon/Sheff teams -- at least -- with more upside and talent than this year's team.

But, its not a fair comparison for this year's team. We dont have any seniors AND we are incredibly young. Our best days are ahead of us. Im loving the Westbeld RS approach more and more. When she hits the court next season she will be so much better than had she played this year, which could be scary down the road.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-11-2016), Figgie123 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
I agree with Figgie and Chris above. This team has more talent than any UD team ever, which means it can be the greatest team ever. But sitting here today, it's not there yet. I do think it will get there in the next year or two. Plus I think this team is way ahead of schedule in development. So how quickly they get the program to the next level is also ahead of schedule.

We have always known this season would be a year of young players getting better. We are way better now than we were the last weekend in August when we played over at Wright State. If we improve as much in the next 6 weeks as we have the first half of the season, and we stay healthy, we will be a scary team in the NCAAs.

I also want to add our coaching staff is doing a good job of putting in systems that take advantage of our talent. We have 2 MBs that are short at 6' and 6'1". Yet they are both hitting in the 400s because we are setting them the quick low balls in front of the setter. And in recent weeks we have been running them on the slide a little to keep the block guessing and opening those quick sets up even more. Initially Peterson was only swinging from the right pin. Now she swings from the left also. And they run her into the middle on a reverse slide (my term. Probably not what they really call it???) on occasion. And our block has been a lot better the last two weeks.

A lot still has to be worked on, but the staff has this team ahead of schedule in my opinion. The bottom line right now is I sincerely think the 2010 team would beat this team in 3 tough sets with all decided by 2-3 points and one would probably be overtime. That will not be the case for long if this group of players continues to work hard to get better. It might not be the case by the end of the year based on how far they have come so quickly this year.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be challenged physically by any teams left on our schedule the rest of the way. We may not show up mentally for a match, so another loss could happen. But we are better than anyone left to play. So We will enter the NCAAs with very little experience against top teams and that will be a huge test for this young team.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Our team vs our schedule

Is this team way better than TH expected? Usually a weak out of conference schedule goes with a rebuilding season. I do think we do not (yet) have the great OH of past teams and I am not sure Amber and/or Kendyll are up to Megan Campbell standards.

All said, it will be a shame if a "bad day" loss in the A-10 tournament keeps us out of the NCAA tournament.

However the future appears very good.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:09 PM

If I was younger, I would remember more details...but someone once told me during the TH1 era that Horsmon said you recruit kids that look to fit into your holes and systems, but until you get them in your own gym and running your system it's hard to tell if they are a good fit. You really don't know until you start working with them.

I would say there are players ahead of what was projected, including a lot of sophomores who are playing well, not just the talented freshman class. And the juniors class is stronger than it was last year.

I have been pretty vocal about this schedule since it came out. It was a disappointment for me from day one. I hope it was put together to clean up the backend of some contracts so we can upgrade our schedule big time starting next year and beyond when this group of players will be very, very good. It is what it is, and we will see how it plays out. If we don't have a contract with Morehead State, I would seriously consider cancelling that match. It's only going to drop our rpi at this point. Save the money and give the team an unexpected day off or do something fun as a team. A mental health day can go a long way to get us ready to finish strong and make a run.