Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

XavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these parts
What a game it should be...

Alright, so, call me biased (as I fully expect you to be for Dayton), but...

Come A10 play, the Xavier/Dayton match up should be a lot more competitive than the past few years. Lets look at this logically...

Yes, while last year both teams were ranked at one point, Xavier swept the series for the second year in a row. And it seemed that the talent (being honest here, feel free to disagree) on Xavier's side was too much.

BUT, with pg questions for Xavier (which doesn't help considering the injuries to Holloway and Jackson), Xavier has to rely heavily on their frontcourt consisting of Jason Love, freshman Kenny Frease, transfer McClean, and everyone's favorite, Derrick Brown. Now while Frease and Love have size, it's the athletes that are going to get the attention. And both teams surely have them.

With that said, it's that inside battle that's going to be most intriguing to me. With Wright growing and becoming a force in the college game, and Dayton's obvious depth (something Xavier could boast of last year), I think that this years series between X and Dayton could be even more intense than what it has been.

Yes, you may disagree with me. Thats fine. I won't lie that Xavier does view the UC rivalry to be bigger than the Dayton one. And there seems to be a consensus that our out of conference games (some of them at least) are more important than the Dayton game (please understand, this isn't my attempt to be snide or an a**hole, I'm simply stating my observations and some of my own feelings are involved). Thats also, to be noted, not to say that we don't care about the Dayton rivalry, it's just that, we don't view it as our "Superbowl" (as quoted last year in the Cincinnati Enquirer from a Dayton student).

So maybe my perspective on the intensity of the rivalry is a bit different than yours, and please feel free to correct me or disagree. I would like to hear your thoughts on the match-up, even if it's a couple of months away. Again, this isn't me trying to be a jerk, I'm simply trying to state that the excitement for me about these games is more present than what it has been in the past. Both teams seem to be coming into their own as the season progresses, and both teams obviously sit at 6-0 with some notable victories.

Anywho, you thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by XavierFan View Post
Alright, so, call me biased (as I fully expect you to be for Dayton), but...

Come A10 play, the Xavier/Dayton match up should be a lot more competitive than the past few years. Lets look at this logically...

Yes, while last year both teams were ranked at one point, Xavier swept the series for the second year in a row. And it seemed that the talent (being honest here, feel free to disagree) on Xavier's side was too much.

BUT, with pg questions for Xavier (which doesn't help considering the injuries to Holloway and Jackson), Xavier has to rely heavily on their frontcourt consisting of Jason Love, freshman Kenny Frease, transfer McClean, and everyone's favorite, Derrick Brown. Now while Frease and Love have size, it's the athletes that are going to get the attention. And both teams surely have them.

With that said, it's that inside battle that's going to be most intriguing to me. With Wright growing and becoming a force in the college game, and Dayton's obvious depth (something Xavier could boast of last year), I think that this years series between X and Dayton could be even more intense than what it has been.

Yes, you may disagree with me. Thats fine. I won't lie that Xavier does view the UC rivalry to be bigger than the Dayton one. And there seems to be a consensus that our out of conference games (some of them at least) are more important than the Dayton game (please understand, this isn't my attempt to be snide or an a**hole, I'm simply stating my observations and some of my own feelings are involved). Thats also, to be noted, not to say that we don't care about the Dayton rivalry, it's just that, we don't view it as our "Superbowl" (as quoted last year in the Cincinnati Enquirer from a Dayton student).

So maybe my perspective on the intensity of the rivalry is a bit different than yours, and please feel free to correct me or disagree. I would like to hear your thoughts on the match-up, even if it's a couple of months away. Again, this isn't me trying to be a jerk, I'm simply trying to state that the excitement for me about these games is more present than what it has been in the past. Both teams seem to be coming into their own as the season progresses, and both teams obviously sit at 6-0 with some notable victories.

Anywho, you thoughts?
Okay, so you say last year your talent was just too good for us. And you FAIL to mention that we played you both times without Chris Wright because of his injury. Then in the next paragraph you say we will be more competitive with you guys for a couple reasons, One of which is because of Injuries to your team.... Whatever.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
Xavier Fan, I actually thought your analysis spot on. I grew up in Cincinnati, went to high school literally across the interstate from X -- Walnut Hills -- and know that we aren't your biggest rival -- UC fits that mold. You have a well rationed line of reasoning, something most UD Priders appreciate. Yes, you have owned us the last few years, and yes, this year should be a good matchup. This is the first time since the last year we lost to you by one at your place -- with Finn, Ramod, Waleskowski, I believe -- that we have a team that is just as good or potentially better than yours. Thank you for posting, and I, for one, welcome you back, as long as you maintain your sanity. Although I do find it odd you are posting on a UD board.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

XavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swish61 View Post
Okay, so you say last year your talent was just too good for us. And you FAIL to mention that we played you both times without Chris Wright because of his injury. Then in the next paragraph you say we will be more competitive with you guys for a couple reasons, One of which is because of Injuries to your team.... Whatever.
I apologize, I actually meant to say something about Wright being injured. Again, it adds to the excitement for these games. I honestly meant to say something about it though, so please don't get all ****ed about it. Without Wright, it seemed to me (and again, this is my own perspective, not necessarily fact) that Xavier had just more ability on the inside than Dayton did. With Wright, rebounds and the key will be a bigger struggle for both teams to control.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
I apologize, I actually meant to say something about Wright being injured. Again, it adds to the excitement for these games. I honestly meant to say something about it though, so please don't get all ****ed about it. Without Wright, it seemed to me (and again, this is my own perspective, not necessarily fact) that Xavier had just more ability on the inside than Dayton did. With Wright, rebounds and the key will be a bigger struggle for both teams to control.
Agh! Daggone it, you defused an argument.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these parts
I think when it comes to this game a lot will depend on how the younger players have developed for both sides. For us the questions are; will Chris Johnson continue to play like an all rookie team player, will Paul Williams get into the fold and develop into the player he was projected to be, will Luke be able to be a consistant shooter and handle more physical players on defense.
Xavier fans have to be asking if Holloway can continue to play the point well when he comes back and be a good floor leader like Lavender was last year. Will Frease play well like he has in some games but not all. Will McLean continue to be a beast on the boards and will Redford or Walsh contribute meaninful minutes this year.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Keep trying--the second game, Brian Roberts had the flu and only played about 15-20 ineffective minutes. He averaged over 35 for the year.

Oh, and Charles Little was playing on a broken foot for at least 1 if not both games.

So putting aside that we did not have our #1 scorer / PG, our #2 scorer / #1 rebounder, and our #3 scorer / #3 rebounder, yes, I believe we will find common ground in the opinion that your starters are better than our walk-ons.

Beyond that, no, I don't agree with you and your half-witted opinion.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
captaincareful (12-01-2008), longtimefan (11-30-2008), m21eagle45 (12-01-2008), rollo (12-01-2008), UD Sam (12-01-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post
Xavier Fan, I actually thought your analysis spot on. I grew up in Cincinnati, went to high school literally across the interstate from X -- Walnut Hills -- and know that we aren't your biggest rival -- UC fits that mold. You have a well rationed line of reasoning, something most UD Priders appreciate. Yes, you have owned us the last few years, and yes, this year should be a good matchup. This is the first time since the last year we lost to you by one at your place -- with Finn, Ramod, Waleskowski, I believe -- that we have a team that is just as good or potentially better than yours. Thank you for posting, and I, for one, welcome you back, as long as you maintain your sanity. Although I do find it odd you are posting on a UD board.
I am very familiar with Walnut Hills. A friend of mine is currently interning there in their athletic department. I am impressed with Walnut and he seems to be enjoying it thoroughly. I post on here simply because it's another board to post on. Face it, sometimes there are more interesting discussions among rivals than fellow fans. When everyone is figuratively just agreeing with each other and patting each other on the back, nothing is accomplished. It's often when you sit across from someone who you don't agree with or really like, when a better perspective on the world can be acquired. Whether that be discussing world events or college basketball.

Last edited by XavierFan; 11-30-2008 at 08:28 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to XavierFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AFflyer (11-30-2008), GlassCityFlyer (11-30-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Lieutenant

GlassCityFlyer will become famous soon enough
I hate Xavier. I am also jealous of what Xavier has accomplished recently, but I love basketball, and in the spirit of competition and sport I more than respect and appreciate your posting here. It is no secret Xavier has been tossing us around lately. I do believe this year we will be very competitive, although there is still a lot of basketball left before I'm ready to think about the xavier/dayton games. I am just hoping we both avoid the injury bug unlike last year so this year the flyers can cruise to the A-10 title
Mad Props to GlassCityFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
XavierFan (11-30-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

Glasscity,
You don't happen to hail from Toledo, do you? Those are my old stomping grounds, so there's the reasoning behind that question.

To add to your point,
I would hope that all teams can avoid injury, as no one should wish such a terrible thing on another. BUT, especially between our two schools come game time. For one, as pointed out by other members on this thread, there have been injuries on your side last year that very well affected our match-up. It certainly doesn't help Brian Roberts was sick (a fellow alum of mine) for that one game. Also, I always want to be a rival at their best. Any team, for that matter.

With the talent and depth that Dayton brings, I want us (Xavier) to play them at full strength. So there is no excuses (on your side as well as ours) as to why one team didn't perform as well as they could have. Those are the games that are best remembered, in my opinion.

Last edited by XavierFan; 11-30-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Colonel

Storytime

I have to tell a story. Somewhere about 12-15 years ago, UD and X had a game at the Arena. I took my young son and daughter. We had great seats.
About 2:30 is left in the game, and we are down 11, I think, and I'm ticked! at the way we had just blown ourselves up with stupid mistakes. I tell my kids, come on let's go! I'm ready to leave. But they're like, No! Let's stay! Come on, we'll win! Let's stay!
What was I to do? We stayed...
I'll be danged if we didn't come back to win that game! Great memory for me and mu kids. The subject still comes up every year.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

GlassCityFlyer will become famous soon enough
I graduated with Brob from SJJ, I've played basketball with Brian a bunch of times. Yeah good ole T-Town go Titans! We should have won state our senior year 04 but I guess it just wasnt meant to be. Our team was stacked though with Brian, Zach Hillsland, and BJ.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by swish61 View Post
I have to tell a story. Somewhere about 12-15 years ago, UD and X had a game at the Arena. I took my young son and daughter. We had great seats.
About 2:30 is left in the game, and we are down 11, I think, and I'm ticked! at the way we had just blown ourselves up with stupid mistakes. I tell my kids, come on let's go! I'm ready to leave. But they're like, No! Let's stay! Come on, we'll win! Let's stay!
What was I to do? We stayed...
I'll be danged if we didn't come back to win that game! Great memory for me and mu kids. The subject still comes up every year.
I remember a game, mostly, that may have the interest of Dayton fans. Back in high school, Toledo St John's was down 18 with 4 minutes to go in the 4th to a rival high school in the city tournament. B-Rob was on that team, though I can't really remember how much he played since I believe he was a sophomore that year (maybe a frosh). It was the greatest game I've ever seen. Point is, one can never give up on their team until the clock strikes zero. I would have been crushed to watch that game, but then again, I've felt the wonderful feeling of watching your team make a huge comeback.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GlassCityFlyer View Post
I graduated with Brob from SJJ, I've played basketball with Brian a bunch of times. Yeah good ole T-Town go Titans! We should have won state our senior year 04 but I guess it just wasnt meant to be. Our team was stacked though with Brian, Zach Hillsland, and BJ.
We graduated together, friend. We should have won state. I was one of the yell-leaders on the floor for that game. They beat Columbus Brookhaven in the semi's, Drew Lavander's team. Go Titans.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I will just simply disagree on your evaluation of last years talent. I thought our talent was high, but unavailable or diminished by other circumstances.

Moving on to this year, I am not sure what to expect yet. The only thing I know is that there will be an extreme clash of styles. Both are very good defensive teams, with XU being generally bigger and stronger in the paint. The Flyers like to get up close on teams on the perimeter and try to pressure bad passes. The Muskies seem to bully teams with their bulk defensively. The Flyers hold the edge in mobility, IMO. As always, there will likely be some injuries on both sides this year, but I hope both are at full strength when we meet.

If XU doesn't come to some comfortable place with their guard duties by then, I like UD's chances a lot more. If Holloway is back and playing well, or if someone else steps up as a solution, it will be a battle.

I enjoy the XU / UD rivalry games a lot, but there are some great non-conference games each year that I end up relishing as much or more than the XU games. It doesn't mean I don't love the rivalry, but that the UD season is not wrapped up in it as much as I think some XU fans like to think, at least not for me.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Off Topic Jibberish

We graduated together, friend. We should have won state. I was one of the yell-leaders on the floor for that game. They beat Columbus Brookhaven in the semi's, Drew Lavander's team. Go Titans.
Ya know pal, it was ridiculous enough to start a thread on the Xavier game with 18 Dayton games to play before we get to deal with you and your kind, but to treat this MB like it's your own facebook is off the charts. Why don't you get a life and go text message your friends--- or at least get this thread under the above topic.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (12-01-2008), longtimefan (11-30-2008), rollo (12-01-2008), vfly (12-01-2008), Xenia UDFan (12-04-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Chill, SD...Chill.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to daytonflyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-02-2008), emswartz92 (12-01-2008), PerrymanFan (12-01-2008), toledodan (11-30-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Just off the Jet

dblmjr is on a distinguished road
classy posts, you guys. Personally, I welcome serious fans with legitimate opinions whether they're pro UD or not. Xavierfan, all I can say is I think the time is coming where UD will consistently challenge you guys because (1) Chris Wright can ignite the athleticism in UD. We
won't have to rely on a subpar performance by X or a crowd induced emotional performance by the Flyers. (2) We are starting to land the moderately recruited players who turn out to be studs (Chris Johnson, Marcus Johnson, Devin Searcy, Paul Williams), and even some highly recruited players (Chris Wright, Juwaan Staten, and hopefully Payne). X has set the bar way up there, but I do feel Dayton fans have paid their dues and will be rewarded in the next few years with results similar to what X is accustomed to.
Unless we have injuries....then.. nevermind
Mad Props to dblmjr For This Totally Excellent Post:
XavierFan (11-30-2008)
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Lieutenant

Well stated. I look forward to when the A10 can consistently put in 3 or 4 teams into the Dance. It would be nice to see Dayton in there (so long as they lose to X at least 9 out of 10 times) as well. I think Dayton is on track for that, and there's no doubt that you have an amazing fanbase. Dustin Dow, much to the disgust of Xavier fans, always felt St. Joe's and Dayton had the best atmosphere's to host a game.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

PinehurstFlyer will become famous soon enough
Interesting thread......history, rivalries, "superbowls". As a 1980 UD grad, my perspective is a little different. The Dayton/x rivalry, in terms of being a big game, did not start until we were both in the A-10. In my days, the x game was no more important than Toledo or Eastern Kentuckey. We beat on x almost every year and still own a big advantage in the all-time series. DePaul and Notre Dame were the "big" games. What really made the x game important was x becoming good. I think this is great. I hope we are both rated when we play. It will be a great game and deservedly, televised. Re. your Cincnnati rivalry - yes, they are in your town, they are hated by you and by us. Go beat them. But if we are 20-0 when we play(I can hope), Dayton may be your superbowl this year. And if Wright State makes a couple of final fours - you may be replaced as our "superbowl". (I can only hope...not).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PinehurstFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-01-2008), XavierFan (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
XF ignore the usual idiots SDF and Gazoo. They think they run the show around here and can tell everyone what to post, but boy buddy don't try and say anything to them, they are internet Rhodes Scholars!!

Anyway I personally look forward to the XU games each year because of how heated the games are and they are the only true sell outs and full houses UD Arena usually sees. (minus the pitt game and a few other exceptions)

I hope both teams are injury free and can't wait to see D Brown and Wright put on a highlight show.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Ya know pal, it was ridiculous enough to start a thread on the Xavier game with 18 Dayton games to play before we get to deal with you and your kind, but to treat this MB like it's your own facebook is off the charts. Why don't you get a life and go text message your friends--- or at least get this thread under the above topic.
Its too bad you can't gong people anymore, you really are an arrogant jerk.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BallgameJohnny For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-02-2008), Ferdy Fussbudget (12-01-2008), flyerfanatic86 (12-01-2008), GetFlyeredup (12-01-2008), GlassCityFlyer (12-01-2008), San Diego Flyer (12-01-2008), TC88 (12-01-2008), XavierFan (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
General

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,252 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Anywho, you thoughts?
Bring your mouthguard, sizzle-chest
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
Its too bad you can't gong people anymore, you really are an arrogant jerk.
You know you're in the wrong when XavierFan is thanking you for a post.
Gazoo (12-02-2008), longtimefan (12-01-2008), Xenia UDFan (12-04-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I went to the XU-Miami game Saturday. That was the first I have seen the X men in action this year. After seeing them play I like our chances this year. With Holloway out the offense looked haphazard at best. I think our pressure D this year will give us an excellent chance against X. They guy that impressed me was Frease. He didn't do much in the game, but he is put together. He will dominate in A-10 play - if not this year then certainly next year.
I went to the XU-Tenn. game last year and came away thinking The Flyers would be in trouble when facing X. After seeing this years team I am licking my chops. A good chance The Flyers can get out the X brooms out of the closet.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
What's even funnier is that he gave me an infraction for my response.

It felt good.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,426 Times in 677 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
This board has become inexcusably hostile lately. Just because they are a fan of x and want to talk about the rivalry, I see no reason to chastise them. I have no problems with discussing other teams or upcoming games with opponents. I just have a problem when fans from other schools show up to start stuff (like WSU asking why we don't play them, or x fans who obviously are just talking smack). But I'm probably just going to be viewed as a troll, since I support conversing with x fans on a message board.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BallgameJohnny (12-01-2008), captaincareful (12-01-2008), Flyer 86 (12-01-2008), GetFlyeredup (12-01-2008), XavierFan (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Way to early to be discussing the X game. I think Troy is next, we have too much to lose to look past that game. I can see why the X, UC game is a bigger rivalry for both schools, but it will be interesting to see how the Xfans turn their attention when Dayton scores a victory at Cintas. Keep thinking about UC, X.

What is interesting is we get a cordial X poster on the board and somehow he turns some of the Flyer Faithful against each other.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
Its too bad you can't gong people anymore.
Couldn't help but notice you are pretty quick with the "Thank You's" too, as in two. Nothing wrong with that button.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
What is interesting is we get a cordial X poster on the board and somehow he turns some of the Flyer Faithful against each other.
SHHHH!!! That's been my plan the whole time. Work my way in and start the fire that brings down the Dayton fandom. Maybe, with any luck, you guys will be too busy arguing with each other on whether or not an opposing fan can post on your messga eboard or not, that you'll forget to cheer and then your home court advantage will evaporate! Keep it up, folks!

With all seriousness, to those who are at least accepting me as a poster, I appreciate it. Glad there's some maturity on here.

Please also understand that I'm not saying we're overlooking the Dayton game or just ignore it. I bet Sean Miller and the team still have that date circled in some manner of speaking.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
The UD-X rivalry is relatively new. I'm an '81 grad. Back in the day, Notre Dame was the big rival. Heck, I remember 2,000 showing up for a UD-ND soccer game. Notre Dame was the big game every year, and nothing came close. The best game was beating little Johnny Paxson when he came home with ND to play UD.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Captain

emswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these parts
Why is it that when anyone besides a Dayton fan comes to this board, he gets absolutely ripped? Xavierfan had something to smart and witty to say about our "rivalry" with Xavier. Granted, it is early, but don't tell me you haven't (as a UD fan) thought about how the Xavier games will turn out this year.

He seems to know what he is talking about. That's more than I can say about a lot of the Dayton fans on this board. So let him talk.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
a lot of Dayton fans? how many are you talking about? A lot sounds like you are implying the majority.

Nobody has shut this guy up yet. If he starts spitting the usual four letter inflamatory venom, then I am sure the moderators will close him down. He is cordial about his posts and we should all be ready to eat a little crow over the rivalry as of late. But just remember who has the edge all time, so when it comes time, X better be ready to be served up the same bird. I am thinking this rivalry will be a back and forth rivalry so X's run of late is coming to an end. Regardless whether X and UC is a bigger rivalry, the Dayton X rivalry is good for both programs and the conference.

I am hoping both teams are ranked when they play. Now if Temple and URI can keep it up, the conference play will mean that much more.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
1st Lieutenant

Make no doubt about it, there have been criticism of me being on here and posting on this message board that is "strictly" for UD fans. Most of it is through private message which from my understand, I am not to repeat. While I respect the sentiments that are there, I also, without trying to offend, think it's rubbish. My point, again, is whats the reason for sitting around with like-minded individuals and pat each other on the shoulder and agree with each other and all that is said? I'm willing to accept this criticism, and let it be known that I won't let it deter me. If there's an issue with me being here as I am, I invite a discussion with the moderators and I'll accept what they ask of me.

However, until then...

I would love to see Temple and URI become ranked as well. Or at least receiving votes. Certainly that would improve the A10's stock and maybe put more teams from the conference in the tournament this year. That, of course means big bucks for the A10 and it's member teams.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
Make no doubt about it, there have been criticism of me being on here and posting on this message board that is "strictly" for UD fans. Most of it is through private message which from my understand, I am not to repeat. While I respect the sentiments that are there, I also, without trying to offend, think it's rubbish. My point, again, is whats the reason for sitting around with like-minded individuals and pat each other on the shoulder and agree with each other and all that is said? I'm willing to accept this criticism, and let it be known that I won't let it deter me. If there's an issue with me being here as I am, I invite a discussion with the moderators and I'll accept what they ask of me.

However, until then...

I would love to see Temple and URI become ranked as well. Or at least receiving votes. Certainly that would improve the A10's stock and maybe put more teams from the conference in the tournament this year. That, of course means big bucks for the A10 and it's member teams.

You're cool XavierFan. Just don't say that UD and Wright State should play or you will see wrath like you've never seen before

Last edited by masonflyer; 12-02-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Mad Props to masonflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-02-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Captain

SideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by emswartz92 View Post
Why is it that when anyone besides a Dayton fan comes to this board, he gets absolutely ripped? Xavierfan had something to smart and witty to say about our "rivalry" with Xavier. Granted, it is early, but don't tell me you haven't (as a UD fan) thought about how the Xavier games will turn out this year.

He seems to know what he is talking about. That's more than I can say about a lot of the Dayton fans on this board. So let him talk.
Blind leading the blind?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by masonflyer View Post
You're cool XavierFan. Just don't say that UD and Wright Satate should play or you will see wrath like you've never seen before
So if I get booted on here, I was thinking about having my new name "UDWSU2009". Would that be a bad idea?
Mad Props to XavierFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Blind leading the blind?
Just because my glasses are thicker than Joe Pa's, doesn't mean I'm blind!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
My point, again, is whats the reason for sitting around with like-minded individuals and pat each other on the shoulder and agree with each other and all that is said?
If you think we all agree with each other all the time then you are clueless. I personally have absolutely no desire whatsoever to go to the Xavier board and talk with a buch of Xavier fans, but if that is your cup of tea, have fun.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Dont they have board for your team son?:frog:
Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

The UD-X rivalry is relatively new. I'm an '81 grad. Back in the day, Notre Dame was the big rival. Heck, I remember 2,000 showing up for a UD-ND soccer game. Notre Dame was the big game every year, and nothing came close. The best game was beating little Johnny Paxson when he came home with ND to play UD.
Hey FlyerYouBetcha.....'81 grad myself! And....I also remember the rivalry with ND, wish we still had it going on. Remember the entire student section throwing TP, sneakers (sorry, tenniies), and cups at Digger when Kelly ThePuker went down! He still holds it against UD. Remeber burning furniture and garages when we beat their asses!

FYI - this video was shot the day after graduation in '81 at Klinger's house on Brown St. Any familiar faces?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjVyLwWkDtw

Gotta tell you, I still hate everything about ND till this day! If ND was playing against Iran or N. Korea I have to admit that I'd be torn about who I'd root for
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I would not be torn one bit! I can never root for ND to win a basketball game, no matter the circumstance.

Man, we slept in tents in the frikin cold to get tikets so we can go yell at digger to sit down.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
I like the way you think!

Besides loving to hate the unofficial ND school uniform (khaki trousers, green or yellow sweater tied around the neck, penny loafers - sans socks - starched blue oxford shirt) - it was also one of the most dull campuses I ever visited.

When the football team is home it is sophmoric moronics (when they actually had a D1 squad), when the football team is away or off-season its about as happening as a Cloister during Lent.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
I hate ND, but I love me some Harangody. He's a big lug, ugly as all heck, but his game is as beautiful as the setting Hawaiian sun.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
General

So if I get booted on here, I was thinking about having my new name "UDWSU2009". Would that be a bad idea?
I have no problem with _avier fans posting here.

But when you post things that are wrong, including back-handed compliments, AND you're a _avier fan, expect to catch a lot more crap than the average person.

You said, "the _avier/Dayton match up should be a lot more competitive than the past few years."

So in that spirit of "logic", I'll just say that I expect "the _avier fans to be much more intelligent than they have been in the past few years."

See, it's not much of a compliment when it's directed at you, is it?
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,217 Times in 548 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PinehurstFlyer View Post
DePaul and Notre Dame were the "big" games. . . . And if Wright State makes a couple of final fours - you may be replaced as our "superbowl". (I can only hope...not).
Ditto about DePaul and Notre Who (Sit down Digger!)

And although you're right about WSU, I don't think I could swallow that much pride to see WSU in a final 4.

In San Diego's defense, there are private messages to use for reminescing about high school.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I have no problem with _avier fans posting here.

But when you post things that are wrong, including back-handed compliments, AND you're a _avier fan, expect to catch a lot more crap than the average person.

You said, "the _avier/Dayton match up should be a lot more competitive than the past few years."

So in that spirit of "logic", I'll just say that I expect "the _avier fans to be much more intelligent than they have been in the past few years."

See, it's not much of a compliment when it's directed at you, is it?
All I am saying is that the game at Xavier wasn't very close (might have been the year before). I am talking about the complete series is all. You take things too personally, my northern friend.