View Poll Results: Would you rather:
Play in the First 4 7 8.43%
Be a 9-12 seed and be in the NCAA Tourney 76 91.57%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 AM
1st Lieutenant

StonemillFlyer will become famous soon enough
Would you rather...

Would you rather have UD in the First 4 Game, or be in the NCAA Tourney of 64.
Hear me out. I actually would rather have us in the First 4. National exposure, all eyes on us. Granted, the goal is to advance as far as possible, but to have the national eye on us with UD Arena going crazy would be AWESOMSE!
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Good poll. Interesting to see the results. I'm sure locals would like to have the luxury of seeing them at UD Arena, but I'd rather get to the second rd for starters.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
First, I rather be in whatever seed, but if I had a choice, always the higher seed!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,507 Times in 823 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I'd rather win whatever the seed is. Losing in the first 4 would be the worst worst worst possible end to a season. Especially if it's versus Xavier, which if we're in the first 4 would probably be our opponent... just so that the 'home court' advantage isn't as great. They'd get plenty of fans to the arena, too.

The desire for one win is also why I'd rather get the 8/9 seed than the 12 seed. The 12 seed might make it easier to get to the sweet 16, but it makes it harder to get to the round of 32.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
I'd rather win whatever the seed is. Losing in the first 4 would be the worst worst worst possible end to a season. Especially if it's versus Xavier, which if we're in the first 4 would probably be our opponent... just so that the 'home court' advantage isn't as great. They'd get plenty of fans to the arena, too.

The desire for one win is also why I'd rather get the 8/9 seed than the 12 seed. The 12 seed might make it easier to get to the sweet 16, but it makes it harder to get to the round of 32.
Not getting in is the worst case scenario! We are probably 2 wins away. Especially being the sixth team from a non bcs conference.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
BCS? Are we talking football?

If we play Xavier in the first four, we wouldn't lose. In that match up, we'd be favored by 5
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
Not getting in is the worst case scenario! We are probably 2 wins away. Especially being the sixth team from a non bcs conference.
Tony...tell me the teams that you believe are in front of UD right now that make you believe UD needs 2 more wins?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Tony...tell me the teams that you believe are in front of UD right now that make you believe UD needs 2 more wins?
I think Tony has a point. It all depends. I certainly don't expect 6 to get in from the A-10. However, does the committee look at the conference standings or the individual games more. Because UMass and GW it could be argued do not deserve to go in ahead of the Flyers based on the teams they had to play twice and head to head games.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2014), ud2 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
The A-10 has 6 deserving teams (assuming we win one more game). The committee says it doesn't pay any attention to how many teams from any conference get in. We'll see if that is true. If we don't get 6 it will be because we are the A-10 and the committee has screwed a mid-major - again.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Remember when UD won the A-10 tournament and went to the tourney? Oh yeah, where was the tournament played that year? Oh yeah, UD Arena. I don't know about you but I got really tired of hearing that the only reason why UD won was because they played at home. I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason to belittle anything UD might accomplish in the tournament by saying that they got to play a "home" tournament game. Might also get some people's noses bent out of shape and use it as a battering ram to get the First Four moved out of town.
Mad Props to Flyer Al For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
Remember when UD won the A-10 tournament and went to the tourney? Oh yeah, where was the tournament played that year? Oh yeah, UD Arena. I don't know about you but I got really tired of hearing that the only reason why UD won was because they played at home. I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason to belittle anything UD might accomplish in the tournament by saying that they got to play a "home" tournament game. Might also get some people's noses bent out of shape and use it as a battering ram to get the First Four moved out of town.
Personally it's a no-brainer for me. In any tournament you are best to take the shortest path to the championship even if you don't get to the championship. Winning a play-in game at home only to lose in the first round is worse than just losing the first round. Being a non-conference winner in a play-in game just puts to many question marks as to whether you deserve to be in the tourny. I'd rather when fans across the nation start screaming about who got the shaft and who doesn't deserve to get in, that the Flyers never be part of that conversation.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Archie when he said playing in the first four round at UD would not give his team the real NCAA experience. Besides it would have a different look to the floor, different fans in the stands etc and would not look like a home game. Archie wants to take a charter to an NCAA destination and let his team live the NCAA experience.

Of course wining in the first four and you'll be flying to an NCAA destination....but against a number one seed.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
A home game in the first four would be exciting, especially if they matched us up with X, but I would rather just make the field of 64. When the season started, I really didn't expect UD to even have a shot at the NCAA and was figuring it would be another NIT year so I will be happy either way.
As for the committee not paying attention to conference affiliation, then this is a year they can put their money where their mouth is on that, because I do think all six teams have a good enough profile.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
I agree with Archie when he said playing in the first four round at UD would not give his team the real NCAA experience. Besides it would have a different look to the floor, different fans in the stands etc and would not look like a home game. Archie wants to take a charter to an NCAA destination and let his team live the NCAA experience.

Of course wining in the first four and you'll be flying to an NCAA destination....but against a number one seed.
Wouldn't we be playing for the last nine seed and go on and play an eight? Also I would argue that coming to UD Arena is part of the experience if that is where they put you because otherwise you would be having the NIT experience since you would presumably not have made a 64 team field.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM
General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post

Flyers would not be playing a number one seed if they win a 1st 4 game. They would have to be a 16 seed for that to happen and it won't.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Assuming we would be a 12 seed if we won we would play the 5 seed. but we could also be an 11 and play the 6seed

Last edited by UD62; 03-09-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
The First Four at-large teams could be anywhere from 11 seeds to 14 seeds. Last year there were two 11's and two 13's. That doesn't seem to make sense but that's the way it was. The year before there were two 12's and two 14's. Again doesn't seem to make sense, but this is the selection committee we're talking about. In 2011 there were two 11's and two 12's. Now that makes more sense. The winner of the 11 game would play a 6, the winner of the 12 game would play a 5, etc.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
The First Four at-large teams could be anywhere from 11 seeds to 14 seeds. Last year there were two 11's and two 13's. That doesn't seem to make sense but that's the way it was. The year before there were two 12's and two 14's. Again doesn't seem to make sense, but this is the selection committee we're talking about. In 2011 there were two 11's and two 12's. Now that makes more sense. The winner of the 11 game would play a 6, the winner of the 12 game would play a 5, etc.
It would only make sense if the teams in between the seedings were automatic bids. But I do believe that they've admitted moving seedings around for strategic purposes like keeping 2 teams from the same conference playing each other too soon.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
It would only make sense if the teams in between the seedings were automatic bids. But I do believe that they've admitted moving seedings around for strategic purposes like keeping 2 teams from the same conference playing each other too soon.
I thought the former, but Cal and Oregon were both 12's last year when the First Four had two 11's and two 13's, so who knows what they are doing. I guess it could be the latter, or maybe the committee was just confused.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I thought the former, but Cal and Oregon were both 12's last year when the First Four had two 11's and two 13's, so who knows what they are doing. I guess it could be the latter, or maybe the committee was just confused.
I guess the way to figure if it was the latter, but put those 11s into the 13 and see if the a team or 2 from their own conference were 5 seeds. Also, move the 13 to 11 and see if conference foes were 7 seeds.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,507 Times in 823 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Probably strategic reasons. IIRC, the teams all get ranked, but then anybody could be moved up or down a seed to make sure that teams from the same conference don't face each other too soon or other reasons. The last 4 at-larges should get stuck in the first four. They may not all have the same seeds. In fact, the 3rd could be a 12 seed followed by 4 conference winners followed by a 14 seed. Something has to move to get those two onto the same seed line.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
National Exposure would be limited by playing in the first four. I don't think most people pay too much attention to the first four.

I want to at least get to the round of 32. Playing in the first four means we have to win 2 games instead of 1 to get there.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Even from an exposure standpoint, I am not sure that you'd get more with play-in game. For the casusal fan and even non-fan who is looking at their bracket, they're not even looking at any schools that are sharing a line with another school. For most, the tourney still starts at 64. I think any exposure you'd gain if you could win in a play-in game is probably a wash in comparison to the higher seed, and it applies more pressure somewhat. If you lose at home in that round, its perceived as a huge choke vs going up against a team you're not supposed to beat.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
With a WSU win Tuesday how about Raiders-UD First Four game?!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,944 Times in 2,941 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Tim Wabler told me that "Archie wants to play in Russia" and he didn't mean Russia, Ohio either.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,171 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
With a WSU win Tuesday how about Raiders-UD First Four game?!
First off, I don't think that would stop people begging for this game.

Secondly, if Wright State wins on Tuesday, they get an automatic bid, and therefore, won't play in a First Four game. (Unless they are a bottom 4 team, which they aren't but, they'd play another bottom 4 team, not an at-large team.)
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM
General

Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen several places that currently have WSU as the autobid winner (based mostly on being the highest seed remaning in the Horizon, but considering they get that game at home, it would be an upset if they were to lose Tuesday evening) on the 16 seed line, but I've seen none that have them in the playin game. I don't know if they'd get a 16, 15 or 14 seed, but generally speaking the Horizon is significantly higher than the conferences that send teams to the first four as 16 seeds. I'd be shocked if WSU were to play in the first 4 as a 16 seed. They may be a 16 seed, but they won't be one of the 4 worst teams in the field.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,431 Times in 681 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be good with the First Four if we could guarantee a win. I think a win garners extra tournament shares. Since that's not going to happen, give me the bye.