Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Academy Doolie

UDandBeer has a spectacular aura aboutUDandBeer has a spectacular aura aboutUDandBeer has a spectacular aura about
Josh Benson

Sorry if this has been answered already... did a search and couldn't find anything definitive. What is the status of Josh Benson? Has he been red shirted yet? I would think he has but I haven't read anything official. If he has not yet, what are the rules regarding the red shirt? I assume as long as he doesn't play he could still be red shirted. Much obliged to anyone who can shed some light.
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM
1st Lieutenant

bosoxrule is an unknown quantity at this point
I could be mistaken, but I think I remember hearing this last year that the NCAA usually grants a person a redshirt if they have not played in 90% of the teams games. Benson will probably be redshirted, the paperwork might be in the process?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 AM
General

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think there is any paperwork to be filed until the end of the season. As long as he doesn't play he'll redshirt. W/ the 3-6 month expected recorery, likely closer to the 6 month recovery time frame, his season is as good as done. Hopefully he's doing a million leg presses a day as he rehabs the shoulder.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,615 Times in 5,096 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Josh has got to be dying to get in a game and join in the fun. That was a great game last night.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
You can't file for a medical redshirt until the end of the year. You have to show that a medical condition resulted in your missing the rest of the season, and that you did not play in more than 20% (thereabouts) of the scheduled games prior to the injury. For Benson, that's a no brainer.

However, he can't come back and play the last 3 games if he's healthy. If he plays in a game between now and the rest of the year he loses the opportunity to apply for a redshirt season beacause he returned from injury before the end of the year - the injury has to end your season.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Williams redshirt?

I'm curious if the withholding of Paul Williams last night is a sign that the coaches are considering using a medical redshirt for him. Right now he really doesn't have a position and if the foot injury is holding him back, a decision needs to be made ASAP.

Although I vaguely recall some NCAA requirement that if you're in uniform, you're considered healthy, which would mean last night's game counts against the 20%. To be considered injured, you must be in street clothes....yes or no??

Last edited by rollo; 11-26-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,171 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll say that I hope he doesn't. I know he hasn't played much yet, and didn't play at all last night, but with Benson being out for the season, we have 11 guys playing. I think we need the 12th guy in for some extra legs on the court. We had MJ/CW almost at 30 minutes, CL at 25, and LW at 22. KH only had 17, as his minutes have gone down every game so far this year. CJ's are going up, DS's are going up. I think BG can use PW later on this year when he needs to sit someone down because they are getting winded. Looking back at some of the boxscores I could find online from the early 00's, we were getting 8 players on the court in some games. That's nice, but how tired must they all have felt after every game. Being able to go 12 deep, with some good players, can help us out in the long run.

Figgie
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm curious if the withholding of Paul Williams last night is a sign that the coaches are considering using a medical redshirt for him. Right now he really doesn't have a position and if the foot injury is holding him back, a decision needs to be made ASAP.

Although I vaguely recall some NCAA requirement that if you're in uniform, you're considered healthy, which would mean last night's game counts against the 20%. To be considered injured, you must be in street clothes....yes or no??
On the pregame they said he missed 10 weeks of practice and did not have his game legs. We will likely see him in January when he catches up. The game last night was getting close about the 6 minute mark and turning towards Mercer. It was a good game to keep your best players in to keep it under control. LW did a good job calming things down and killing the clock. So it was not a good game to get in some playing time for someone who is not up to speed.

Back to the thread topic, I have not seen anything official on Benson, but there were some articles a while back about him in the paper leaning towards him redshirting. It is probably the best thing for his career to not risk aggravating his injury in order to play a few games. If we are going to get somewhere this year, it will be without Benson.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Academy Doolie

UDandBeer has a spectacular aura aboutUDandBeer has a spectacular aura aboutUDandBeer has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that one had to apply for the red shirt toward the beginning of the season, not after. I guess that explains why I hadn't heard anything! In the long run I think the red shirt would help someone like Benson regardless of injury, but I agree, he must be itching to get out there. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running come next season.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Captain

ELDoro is an unknown quantity at this point

To be granted a medical redshirt it has to be a injury that is preventing you from playing that season. I dont think a nagging injury that a team is using as an excuse because a player isnt getting playing time would do it.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe not often in basketball, but it happens every year in NCAA football.

People have been medically redshirted for a lot less than a hurt toe.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Lieutenant

bosoxrule is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone else agree, after watching the first few games and our new style of play, that Josh Benson is the prototype big man for us? After watching videos of his high school action, he is a very smooth player with good hands. He is soooo long, too. As we have seen from Chris Johnson this year, long arms not only disrupt the other team's offense but they grab a lot of rebounds. Let's hope he has a good, hard work ethic like our other player that went to high school in Dayton, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will have a successful career at UD. Get healthy Josh!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM

FWIW...

NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, states that a "student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition for reasons of hardship. Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under the following conditions: (1) occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition, (2) occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season and (3) occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in 30 percent of the school's scheduled contests."
Bill McPeek (11-26-2008), bosoxrule (11-26-2008), shocka43 (11-26-2008)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure about the in-uniform with respect to Willliams. Makes sense they could take that tact, but not sure it's a bright line type thing. At this point if they decided to shut him down for the year I think he'd succeed with a medical redshirt application. The injury clearly occurred, he's tried to play and been ineffective, and if he later shuts it down I think they'd have a hard time denying the application.

UD could continue to have him practice and if he was able to go 100% could always change course and start playing him.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4, states that a "student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition for reasons of hardship. Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under the following conditions: (1) occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition, (2) occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season and (3) occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in 30 percent of the school's scheduled contests."

Did you steal that from my CW post last year....Glad you found it so I didn't have to dig it up.

The key is that the redshirt happens in the first half of the season and that it is in the first 30% of the games.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Captain

ELDoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bosoxrule View Post
Anyone else agree, after watching the first few games and our new style of play, that Josh Benson is the prototype big man for us? After watching videos of his high school action, he is a very smooth player with good hands. He is soooo long, too. As we have seen from Chris Johnson this year, long arms not only disrupt the other team's offense but they grab a lot of rebounds. Let's hope he has a good, hard work ethic like our other player that went to high school in Dayton, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will have a successful career at UD. Get healthy Josh!
I agree, especially in that 2-2-1 zone that we showed against Mercer. Not to mention we havnt been a team to look into the post much since Finn and Waleskowski but Benson isnt much of a back to the basket type guy anyways.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Did you steal that from my CW post last year....Glad you found it so I didn't have to dig it up.

The key is that the redshirt happens in the first half of the season and that it is in the first 30% of the games.
An example would be Tyler Zoeller breaking his wrist at North Carolina and being red shirted this season. JB and PW would both qualify. The question would be how long do we wait for PW?

Last edited by Tony T 71; 11-27-2008 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigben7tony View Post
An example would be Tyler Zoeller breaking his wrist at North Carolina and being red shirted this season. JB and PW would both qualify. The question would be how long do we wait for PW?
Also have to consider the availability of scholarships down the road if they are used by redshirts too. Hurts the availability of bringing new guys in that you have been recruiting.

Tough decision....Who gets what and how do you decide?

JB...Definite, especially with a season ending injury.

PW...Since it is a nagging injury and not season ending, he may come out of it just fine this year. Even though he was injured, is he not playing because of being behind in conditioning and the likes, or is he just being out played in practice? We can speculate it is the injury, but who knows.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Larry and Bucky indicated on the radio that we should look for PW come A-10 time and not before then as he is 100% recovered but is way behind in conditioning and practice/pre season preperation that the other players went through. Just needs to catch up.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Sorry to break in here for a second with a question:
Last year I found a Marquette MB, but can't seem to find it right now. Anyone know what it is?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Larry and Bucky indicated on the radio that we should look for PW come A-10 time and not before then as he is 100% recovered but is way behind in conditioning and practice/pre season preperation that the other players went through. Just needs to catch up.
That is why he is playing on the practice squad, to get more time playing and get back, BG said on his Monday radio show that he looks for PW to help us by A10 time and get better, as for JB he said another year to get strong will be good for Josh, so there is your RS
Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Mark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the rough
Question

I understand PW not playing much because of conditioning issues or being behind due to missing practice time. But we won the Bethune Cookman game by 40. That seemed like a good opportunity for him to get some playing time to "get into game shape." And if he screwed up a play or two, it wouldn't have really mattered because we were up so big. I doubt he is so out of shape that he could only handle 2 minutes of playing time in the first half.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
I understand PW not playing much because of conditioning issues or being behind due to missing practice time. But we won the Bethune Cookman game by 40. That seemed like a good opportunity for him to get some playing time to "get into game shape." And if he screwed up a play or two, it wouldn't have really mattered because we were up so big. I doubt he is so out of shape that he could only handle 2 minutes of playing time in the first half.

Most players can't simulate the intensity of game conditions in practice. There are two considerations for not playing him. The lesser one is his aerobic conditioning. The more risky one is that either Paul, in the heat of the real game, makes a hard cut and reinjures himself. Or a garbage time opponent rolls over him after getting overzealous with a little playing time. We just can't put a green jersey on like the q-back in NFL practice that says "don't touch me". Paul should not play in a game unless they are 110% sure that he is healed.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,944 Times in 2,941 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Great picture of Josh sending his teammates out on to the court, courtesy of the DDN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Josh.jpg (46.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Just off the Jet

The CWright Flyer is on a distinguished road
What are the chances Josh comes back this year? if we got him back with PW we would be unbelievably deep! GO FLYERS!!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The CWright Flyer View Post
What are the chances Josh comes back this year? if we got him back with PW we would be unbelievably deep! GO FLYERS!!

None. He would miss almost all of the season and it wouldnt be worth such a short time. Next year he comes back beefed up and seasoned like DS is this year.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Major

nbflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by The CWright Flyer View Post
Zero, because there is absolutely no reason to bring Benson back at the end of the year even if he was healthy.