UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Brian Roberts, an NBA bargain

In the wild and crazy NBA scrum over sub-stars getting obscene salaries, there sits our Brian Roberts. He is one of only two pg's listed on the Portland Trail Blazers roster. But at 30 years old he is the second oldest player on the team. The All NBA starting point guard, Damian Lillard, is 25 years old, and makes $24m per year.

It's such a dichotomy that Brian's place on the roster should command a high salary, but his skill level and relatively bargain rate salary is probably what has kept him employed. He is now an unrestricted free agent, but in NBA language is considered a "scrub". Good at some things, pedestrian at most others.

Austin Rivers, an ex-Pelican teammate, who can't shoot well from anywhere on the court, just signed a 3 year contract for $34m with the Clippers. This is the height of insanity. Rivers backs up Chris Paul who makes $23m per year. It doesn't hurt that the Clippers coach is Doc Rivers, who is Austin's dad.

Now we know Brob is appreciative of the journey he has taken and the places he his been, while earning far more money to-date than he ever could have with his degree to this point. In a precious few years that will change, and he will be glad he graduated.

But for now, I just hope he gets several more years in the NBA making the really big bucks even as a backup. He certainly deserves it and could earn it. Couldn't happen to a better person.
15 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (07-04-2016), Flyer 86 (07-05-2016), Flyer69ers (07-04-2016), flyerfanatic86 (07-05-2016), flyrsmedic (07-07-2016), frisco flyer (07-06-2016), Gazoo (07-05-2016), hayjim (07-06-2016), Justin (07-05-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-04-2016), NovaFlyer (07-04-2016), rollo (07-05-2016), ruechalgrin (07-04-2016), The Fly (07-04-2016), Widget (07-05-2016)
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
If he were "BRiv" he'd make a lot more.

I had to google the word nepotism. It seems obvious to everyone who doesn't have to write the check.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The Knicks just signed pg Brandon Jennings for 1 year at $5m to back-up Derrick Rose. Jennings showed signs of brilliance before he blew out his achilles heel last year.

As soon as the NBA free agent "July Moratorium" is over this Friday, teams can begin signing their verbal commits and the real money starts to be locked in. If Roberts has value that date will start a chain of events that possibly could include him. There will be a scrum of players that are excessed due to cap restrictions since some teams are eating up globs of cap space by signing several very expensive players. The distance between the "haves" and the "have nots" is getting huge.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 PM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding is that the bigger issue is the floor, not the cap. Many teams are having to throw $ at people to hit the minimum salary level.

Which made me think, why on earth would anyone have worried about the luxury tax previously?? Last year's cap was $70M with a luxury tax applied at $85M. This year's cap will be $94M, with the floor $85M.

So riddle me this, if the owners are swimming in this kind of money that they can increase the floor to the level that was the previous year's luxury tax line, why would they have cared about the luxury tax last year if they truly wanted to win?? Who cares about the luxury tax, you could have had a payroll last year of $90M and it still would have been less than the current year's cap.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:57 PM

That scenario will go on as long as that golden tv goose lays the eggs. That can't go on forever. The players are in a perfect storm for raking in money right now. No better time for a below average player to cash in--if they are fortunate to be with the right team and in the right contractual situation.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-05-2016), ud2 (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanked 6,180 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
That scenario will go on as long as that golden tv goose lays the eggs. That can't go on forever. The players are in a perfect storm for raking in money right now. No better time for a below average player to cash in--if they are fortunate to be with the right team and in the right contractual situation.
Cable tv and sattelite tv companies will not allow their customers to pick a la carte the channels that they want to pay for, if this forced bundling ends, then I think that could deal a blow to sports leagues.

I think many are getting tired of paying so much per month for cable/satellite tv.

Last edited by ud2; 07-05-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Cable tv and sattelite tv companies will not allow their customers to pick a la carte the channels that they want to pay for, if this forced bundling ends, then I think that could deal a blow to sports leagues.

I think many are getting tired of paying so much per month for cable/satellite tv.
I hope you are right. Count me as one of them that is real tired of those escalating bills due to services offered that I could not care less about.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
My understanding is that the bigger issue is the floor, not the cap. Many teams are having to throw $ at people to hit the minimum salary level.

Which made me think, why on earth would anyone have worried about the luxury tax previously?? Last year's cap was $70M with a luxury tax applied at $85M. This year's cap will be $94M, with the floor $85M.

So riddle me this, if the owners are swimming in this kind of money that they can increase the floor to the level that was the previous year's luxury tax line, why would they have cared about the luxury tax last year if they truly wanted to win?? Who cares about the luxury tax, you could have had a payroll last year of $90M and it still would have been less than the current year's cap.
Unlike the NFL which has a hard cap and a hard floor, the NBA floor is meaningless.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-s...ingless-2013-9

Dan Gilbert owes $54 million in luxury tax after this year's championship season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...n-luxury-taxes

I'm all for the NBA players getting their money. Get it while you can, especially BRob. On another note, I find it incredible that a mediocre player at best like Jerryd Bayless gets a GUARANTEED contract of 3 yrs for $27 million from Philly, meanwhile in another sport, one of the best players in the NFL who helped carry his team to a Super Bowl Championship is fighting like crazy to get a 3 yr GUARANTEED contract. His name is Von Miller. He's facing maybe only getting $14 million in a one year GUARATEED contract thru the franchise tag. NFL owners have it made and NFL players are being shown as the suckers they are...killing their brains for pennies compared to basketball and baseball players.

Kids...if you are multi-talented and actually good enough to have a professional career, I suggest not choosing football and going with either baseball or basketball.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (07-05-2016), flyerfanatic86 (07-06-2016), UDEE79 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Portland is trading cash for Napier. Maybe this explains why Roberts isn't getting paid like a backup PG. "In Portland, Napier will serve as the third point guard behind Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum."
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Why NFL lags behind NBA in guaranteed contracts.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
Portland is trading cash for Napier. Maybe this explains why Roberts isn't getting paid like a backup PG. "In Portland, Napier will serve as the third point guard behind Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum."
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty hard to argue against those three choices. McCullum made $2.5m last year and was a first round draft choice in 2013. There are a lot of teams that can't afford that. I imagine BR's agent is beating the bushes for a spot somewhere.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
I'm 33, and none of my friends (mostly UD alums) have cable. We all had it in our mid twenties, but now don't see it as a viable solution for entertainment purposes. Especially when we can stream Netflix or Hulu, or find things on the web (including game broadcasts) and cable is all reality TV junk.

On that note, I hope Brob and CJ get something for their hard work and contributions. Good people deserve good things.

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard for the last 30 years that this madness in sports pay will come to an end, because of ... Fill in the blank. Yet it not only went on, but increased. I would like to believe that they are pricing themselves into a problem, but has not happened yet. Ditto entertainers.

Can't afford the finances as a team? No problem, move the team to a different city. The NHL moved to the US cities. Baseball and basketball to Canada. Football, basketball and baseball will move to London, Madrid, Mexico City, wherever if need be.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
BRob signing back with the Hornets for the veteran's minimum... just over a million for a 1-year contract. Good for him.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (07-06-2016), Flyer 86 (07-07-2016), jack72 (07-07-2016), Justin (07-07-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-06-2016), San Diego Flyer (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:44 PM

Outstanding. He is a known commodity in Charlotte. Should be comfortable there.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.atthehive.com/2016/7/6/12...-roberts-worth

Brian will be the 3rd point guard on an NBA team and making just over $1m for another year. As the article says, Coach Clifford likes to have a veteran 3rd PG on the roster that knows the system in case of an injury. Brian fits the bill and from all reports was well liked by his teammates in Charlotte, so the signing makes sense for both Brian and the Hornets.
Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Thanked 2,432 Times in 832 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
How many seasons does this make for Brian in the NBA? Wondering if he's now qualified for a pension. I think you need five years, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This will be his 5th season.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up This turned out well for Brian on all fronts.

Hornets announcement:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...ts-1-year-deal

Veteran minimum of $1M/year could even go up next season. A guy can live on that.

Another from the Hornets:

"The 30-year-old point guard returns to the Hornets for a reported one-year, minimum contract. Kevin Pelton believes Roberts is a solid full-time backup at this stage of his career."

-----------
I hope the Hornets are in position to win 48+ games again next season. This could be really huge for Brian, having a coach that loves you as a veteran backup on a playoff caliber team, could set him up for 3/4 years as an appreciated role player for the veteran minimum of $1M+. Add an almost certain increase in the vet minimum over the next few years when the cap goes to $110M, and this turned out extremely good for BR. Plus the added stability of a coach that has job security, this is a win-win-win on all fronts.

Bouncing around from Memphis to Miami to Portland like a stale cookie did not bode well.
This move fixes all that.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 07-07-2016 at 09:42 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (07-07-2016), flyhi524 (07-07-2016), Justin (07-07-2016), rollo (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
BRob..is a positive impact on ANY team. Might be minimal, but his addition to any team makes that team better. From 2 star recruit to NBA veteran. This is UD basketball in a nutshell. Go Flyers!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (07-07-2016), Justin (07-07-2016)