UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,180 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
UD +3.5 vs. Butler

The line opened at UD +2.5.

132 over/under

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...odds/offshore/
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Closer line than I would have thought. Give me the over for total points, if I were a betting man I'd give the points.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Lower spread than expected. Probably a lot of money going Butler
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure spread is lower than expected based on predictor models

Kenpom 68-67
UD +1
Sagarin 81.57 - 80.57
UD +1
RealtimeRPI - 66-62
UD+4
Massey 70-66
UD+4
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClevelandFlyer05 (03-12-2013), SC_Flyer (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I have to go with Butler and give away the points. I'm looking at the A10 and referee factor. It's best for the A10 that Butler not get beat in the first round. This is a team that with one or two wins in the tourny will be a lock for the NCAA tourney. While it's in the best interest of the A10 to have a team that's not projected to go win the tourney, I can't see them pushing along a team that's the last seed.

Yes, I've become very skeptical of the Refs and the hidden agendas in these conference tournaments.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cobra8u (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I have to go with Butler and give away the points. I'm looking at the A10 and referee factor. It's best for the A10 that Butler not get beat in the first round. This is a team that with one or two wins in the tourny will be a lock for the NCAA tourney. While it's in the best interest of the A10 to have a team that's not projected to go win the tourney, I can't see them pushing along a team that's the last seed.

Yes, I've become very skeptical of the Refs and the hidden agendas in these conference tournaments.
Respectfully disagree. Butler's rpi right now is around #21, IMO, Butler is already in the dance regardless of whether they beat UD or not.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-12-2013), ClevelandFlyer05 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
This is a team that with one or two wins in the tourny will be a lock for the NCAA tourney.
Wait, what? You think if Dayton beats Butler, Butler won't make the NCAA Tournament? Butler is in the top 25 of RPI, and a loss to UD will drop them to maybe RPi 35. And being a 'well-known' name in the basketball circles now-a-days, I think they are already in.

Edit: ud2 beat me to it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Butler is a lock. There is not a debate.

As far as A10 is concerned with getting teams in the tournament, it would be better for Dayton to win. Of course, the refs would have to "fix" Dayton's 3 succeeding games as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Wait, what? You think if Dayton beats Butler, Butler won't make the NCAA Tournament? Butler is in the top 25 of RPI, and a loss to UD will drop them to maybe RPi 35. And being a 'well-known' name in the basketball circles now-a-days, I think they are already in.

Edit: ud2 beat me to it.
Okay, you're probably correct that Butler gets in regardless. It still can have a negative effect on the way the selection committee views your conference to have your 3rd seed lock knocked out in the first round by the final seed. It could give the committee an excuse to leave out that 4th or 5th team that they would've taken. I think it's in the A10's best interest to have good showings by their "locks" while having one non-contending at-large team take it all. And I don't think they look as far down as last seed for that that longshot.

I'm not saying Dayton can't be that miracle team, I just don't see them getting favored calls by the refs that other's might get.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, you're probably correct that Butler gets in regardless. It still can have a negative effect on the way the selection committee views your conference to have your 3rd seed lock knocked out in the first round by the final seed. It could give the committee an excuse to leave out that 4th or 5th team that they would've taken. I think it's in the A10's best interest to have good showings by their "locks" while having one non-contending at-large team take it all. And I don't think they look as far down as last seed for that that longshot.

I'm not saying Dayton can't be that miracle team, I just don't see them getting favored calls by the refs that other's might get.
There are NOT favored calls in these tournaments that a higher seed might get. No matter how bad officiating is in the A10, there's not an agenda to give the close calls toward a certain team in a given game - be it consciously or sub-consciously.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-12-2013), rollo (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
General

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
There are NOT favored calls in these tournaments that a higher seed might get. No matter how bad officiating is in the A10, there's not an agenda to give the close calls toward a certain team in a given game - be it consciously or sub-consciously.
And you know this how? Especially the "sub-consciously" part? Look, sports in general has show signs of this and I don't think it's a coincidence that the lock teams rarely win the A10 tournament. I'll grant you that a non-lock team has the advantage of motivation, but I can still see close iffy calls going in favor of what's advantagous to the conference. There's a lot of money involved and as this world we live in proves more and more every day, it corrupts integrity.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cobra8u (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
And you know this how? Especially the "sub-consciously" part? Look, sports in general has show signs of this and I don't think it's a coincidence that the lock teams rarely win the A10 tournament. I'll grant you that a non-lock team has the advantage of motivation, but I can still see close iffy calls going in favor of what's advantagous to the conference. There's a lot of money involved and as this world we live in proves more and more every day, it corrupts integrity.
I'll take this one SLUFLYER,

So what do think happens before the tournament starts? The A10 administration gets together with all the refs and let's them know how they want the calls to go? And nobody else knows?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Captain

Snackman will become famous soon enoughSnackman will become famous soon enough
I would wait for the number to reach 4, but I'm definitely on the Flyers in this spot.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
People seriously complaining about the officiating before the game has been played? Geez!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
The problem with conference tournaments is that quite often, particularly when we're talking about conferences that have several teams that are locks, is that the incentive is indeed there for fixing the games so that a non-lock team wins the autobid. I'm not saying that this has ever happened (or that we could ever possibly know about it), but the incentive is definitely there.

Just another reason why I absolutely abhor the use of the small sample size conference tournaments as the means for determining which teams qualify for what is supposed to be the tournament to determine the best team in college basketball. No team with a losing record in conference play should be able to fluke its way into the Dance based on one strong weekend of basketball.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Not sure spread is lower than expected based on predictor models

Kenpom 68-67
UD +1
Sagarin 81.57 - 80.57
UD +1
RealtimeRPI - 66-62
UD+4
Massey 70-66
UD+4
Lower than what I expected
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

cobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
SLU what you smoking bro..I officiated high school basketball in SW ohio for several years and guess what.......many of our most highly regarded officials here would tell me who was going to win the game before we started the night, I remember one very well known official in the Dayton area bragging at halftime of the Xenia vs Alter game that he had called 3 fouls on that smartmouth Adam Waleskowski kid. I was sure this went on that's why I got into officiating, so I could verify what I always felt was true.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
1st Lieutenant

cobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura about
Money is the Root of all evil.....there is a quote out there about complacency and the end of democracy...and complacency abounds in this day and age....peeps cant see the truth anymore because they want to believe this old world will just keep keepin on
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Lower than what I expected
Ok - but not Butler money moving the line much.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigudfan View Post
People seriously complaining about the officiating before the game has been played? Geez!
It's easier to say the refs stink than to admit your team does.

The whiners and excuse makers need to read the Women's basketball thread about the St. Joe's loss....it's refreshing to read intelligent thoughts about why the team lost...and there's not one post about UD getting homered by refs anywhere...no talk about the need for 'luck' or 'if' to be found...How'd that happen???

Will the men's page ever evolve to where the women's page currently is...where we admit to weaknesses and look for solutions and make NO excuses???

I doubt it, too.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
It's easier to say the refs stink than to admit your team does.
Yes, but it's often more accurate to say they both do.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Odds to win A10 tournament

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/atlan...nament-betting

Not bad, UD has the 8th best odds to win the A10 tournament.

Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament Odds - courtesy of 5Dimes:

Saint Louis +200
Virginia Commonwealth +220
Temple +600
La Salle +850
Butler +1100
St. Joseph's +2100
Richmond +2300
Dayton +2400
Massachusetts +3000
Xavier +3100
George Washington +7000
Charlotte +16000
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by cobra8u View Post
SLU what you smoking bro..I officiated high school basketball in SW ohio for several years and guess what.......many of our most highly regarded officials here would tell me who was going to win the game before we started the night, I remember one very well known official in the Dayton area bragging at halftime of the Xenia vs Alter game that he had called 3 fouls on that smartmouth Adam Waleskowski kid. I was sure this went on that's why I got into officiating, so I could verify what I always felt was true.
Silly talk
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/atlan...nament-betting

Not bad, UD has the 8th best odds to win the A10 tournament.

Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament Odds - courtesy of 5Dimes:

Saint Louis +200
Virginia Commonwealth +220
Temple +600
La Salle +850
Butler +1100
St. Joseph's +2100
Richmond +2300
Dayton +2400
Massachusetts +3000
Xavier +3100
George Washington +7000
Charlotte +16000
I'll put $ 100.00 on each team to win the A10 tournament.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Not a bad bet! If SLU or Temple don't win the A10, you are ahead...if you can get down with those odds. Of course there are 6 other teams that you hope don't sneak in.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 AM
General

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,263 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Screw the A-10 tourney, we're 1000-1 odds to win the NCAAs. Xavier is 500-1.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../odds/futures/