User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 04:13 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The #1 Objective this Offseason

Is to find the replacement to Josh Cunningham for after next season.

After next year Kostas is it in the post. Matej, Toppin & Mikesell aren't the type of guys to guard the future Tillmans on our schedule. Those 3 are combo forwards and even in position less basketball I don't think those guys will ever be able to consistently defend some of the more rugged post players on the schedule.

Pretty unlikely any move after this spring could land us a ready to play post player. A high school senior big man faces long odds of being able to come in and contribute right away. Good or even average grad transfer big men are a coveted commodity. JUCO big men are more miss than hit and every program in the country is after the few top prospects.

So that leaves us with this spring to get a guy who can be here a year before they're ready to play. The high school senior pool of bigs is small this time of year and highly fought over. Possible to find a diamond in the rough here and this staff has done it before.

Far and away the best option out of all the ones available is to get a sit out transfer, let them redshirt next year and then they're to get into the rotation right away. This in my estimation is the best chance of getting a contributor who's ready to step in for Cunningham.

If AG misses this spring we're not totally screwed but he's gotta have some aces up his sleeve in the fall signing period or next springs signing period.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-11-2018)
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2018, 10:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Generally agree with your point, OSU, but I think Toppin could become that guy. Still, that’s only 1 guy. We need at least 2 moderately skilled guys in the 6’8”-6’9” range in the next 2 recruiting classes to be able to keep up with the future Tillmans of the world.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2018, 10:41 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I just don't see Toppin getting the frame to defend in the post but I'd love to eat a giant crow sandwich.

I'm a big fan and believer in Kostas but injuries, leaving school early for pro ball, the unknown makes me think building for the future is key here
Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think Josh was particularly good at covering guys like Tillman either.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
It can get a lot worse
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I think AG knows what needs to be done.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think AG knows what needs to be done.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-11-2018), flyhi524 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
1, 2 or 3 new players won't help as much as everyone else hitting the weights and growing some balls. As the Queen says, always assume you can never be strong enough, hang low enough or or be rich enough, so keep working at it!
Flyer69ers (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
In AG I trust! For all the criticism he has taken this season for poor game time decisions, poor substitution patterns and lack of calling timeouts etc. recruiting is one of his strengths.

I feel he will know exactly what to do in regards to getting the necessary big men whether it be be the JUCO route, graduate transfers or recruiting that diamond in the rough.

With Kostas and Obadiah, we could see at least one of the two being able to add to their frame to defend the post and score the ball as well. Justin Tillman was not huge but he played with heart and enthusiasm on both ends of the floor and this is what we have been lacking!

As far as the recruiting, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when we see what Anthony Grant and his assistant coaches are able to get accomplished!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I agree. Tillman was torching JC. He was simply too slow, both with his lateral movement and his vertical movement (ability to defend Tillman shooting over him). Some of this could be contributed to an approach of playing a little reserved wanting to avoid foul trouble, but most would be contributed to JC's slower step.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-11-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 PM
General

So at this point I gotta think the roster is pretty much set. Gotta think there's big pressure next spring to find a JUCO or grad transfer big. Unfortunately I think it's gonna be tough to drop a true freshman into Cunningham's spot and expect to go anywhere

I almost think it would have been worth taking a JUCO big this spring since scholarships are going to be open and then just Thiago Cordero after the season if he couldn't make it
Old 06-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I agree. Tillman was torching JC. He was simply too slow, both with his lateral movement and his vertical movement (ability to defend Tillman shooting over him). Some of this could be contributed to an approach of playing a little reserved wanting to avoid foul trouble, but most would be contributed to JC's slower step.
Tillman is a freak athlete, and certainly one every program would covet. You don't face those very often. But even when you do, it doesn't guarantee a win. See UD 106, VCU 79.

The supporting cast has to be much better than what VCU had around him. They went as far as we did in the post season.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Fake News????

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Tillman is a freak athlete, and certainly one every program would covet. You don't face those very often. But even when you do, it doesn't guarantee a win. See UD 106, VCU 79.

The supporting cast has to be much better than what VCU had around him. They went as far as we did in the post season.
Sure we crushed them one time. They then came back and beat us at their place.... then they beat us again.....in the A10 tourney....the post season!.... to go further then us...… and play URI.

Oh in both cases JT smoked us. Once dropping 37 and in the other a double double.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Classic Big Man in College Basketball

Show me the team that had great success with a classic Center. Their value has been greatly diminished due to the three point line and the use of the zone defense. It is very hard to get the ball inside in a half court game unless you have guards that have eschewed AAU ball and have a pass first mentality. They have a lot of difficulty running the floor and tend to slow the transition offense. If you can run the floor and shoot the trey at 6' 10" or taller you can earn a pile of money at the next level. Lacking one or more of these skills makes you a project at the College level. I subscribe to the Denny Crum school of recruiting. Give me a 6' 4" to 6' 8"
basketball player who is 6 tool player (jump, dribble, pass, shoot, rebound and defend) and let me play for the national championship. Seems to work well for Villanova and Virginia as well.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (06-09-2018), hawkoooo (06-09-2018), Lowd&ProUD (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 PM
General

I don't think we need a Sean Finn clone as a big men.

What you need even if you're a Villanova is a guy that can play around the basket, defend the post, box out and get the offensive/defensive boards around the hoop. Someone who can do the dirty, unglamorous work in the paint. Can be a 6'4 guy, Kendall Pollard filled this role and X. Williams despite being taller couldn't

I'm not sure that's Obi or Frankie's game
Old 06-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Sure we crushed them one time. They then came back and beat us at their place.... then they beat us again.....in the A10 tourney....the post season!.... to go further then us...… and play URI.

Oh in both cases JT smoked us. Once dropping 37 and in the other a double double.
Maybe you missed the point. Tillman was/is a super player. VCU couldn't make the NIT with him. If your point is at 18-15 they were nearly as miserable as us, I agree.

The A10 Championship is not the postseason. It's our Championship Tournament. If that's the post season then I guess we made the post season as well. Not.

My point is that the combination of peripheral players is just as important as having a stud to get you to the next level. In that regard, VCU flunked last season. AG appears to have an initiative to feast on guards and wings. It's work in progress.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (06-13-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I don't think we need a Sean Finn clone as a big men.
Worth noting Sean Finn was a developmental project who was completely unplayable as a freshman. He became a nice player but the original point was that we needed a big to replace Cunningham after next season and a Sean Finn clone couldn’t do this. Not as a freshman.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (06-10-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Worth noting Sean Finn was a developmental project who was completely unplayable as a freshman. He became a nice player but the original point was that we needed a big to replace Cunningham after next season and a Sean Finn clone couldn’t do this. Not as a freshman.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the fear right here. Replacing Cunningham with an unproven freshman post player on a team that would by any reasonable expectation should be tourney contention
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
So at this point I gotta think the roster is pretty much set. Gotta think there's big pressure next spring to find a JUCO or grad transfer big. Unfortunately I think it's gonna be tough to drop a true freshman into Cunningham's spot and expect to go anywhere

I almost think it would have been worth taking a JUCO big this spring since scholarships are going to be open and then just Thiago Cordero after the season if he couldn't make it
Just trying to be a “glass half full” guy here. Perhaps the staff is looking at potential 2019 grad transfers and JUCOs with the selling point of “UD is losing a 3-year starter in the post, and you can come in and get ‘starter minutes’ right away.” At this point in the 2018 recruiting season, that may be their best option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
This is the fear right here. Replacing Cunningham with an unproven freshman post player on a team that would by any reasonable expectation should be tourney contention
What freshman will be replacing Cunningham? If you're referring to Toppin, wouldn't he be a RS SO when he is asked to do that?

Or you could mean an incoming 2019 player. I don't think we'll be relying on a freshman. Mikesell, Toppin and Policelli will eat up a lot of post minutes plus hopefully a grad transfer/juco big(s).
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Mikesell, Toppin and Policelli
I'd add Trey to this list as well. People are vastly underestimating how "position-less" these AG squads are going to be.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM
General

What freshman will be replacing Cunningham? If you're referring to Toppin, wouldn't he be a RS SO when he is asked to do that?

Or you could mean an incoming 2019 player. I don't think we'll be relying on a freshman. Mikesell, Toppin and Policelli will eat up a lot of post minutes plus hopefully a grad transfer/juco big(s).
I hope I'm wrong but I think are Toppin and Policelli are more perimeter oriented combo forwards. I haven't anything seen anything to indicate these are guys who are gonna do the dirty work around the basket. Their game is in the mold of X. Williams

St. Louis trots out French, Gordon and Santos in the frontcourt. AG counters that with Mikesell as the main post defender. I'm not sure that ends well

I would think you would have to start a true freshman in the post/5/big man (whatever you want to call it) spot after Josh graduates
Viperstick (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Just trying to be a “glass half full” guy here. Perhaps the staff is looking at potential 2019 grad transfers and JUCOs with the selling point of “UD is losing a 3-year starter in the post, and you can come in and get ‘starter minutes’ right away.” At this point in the 2018 recruiting season, that may be their best option.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the play right now but getting a grad transfer big man or one of the handful of JUCO bigs is tough for an A10. The power conferences are all over those guys

I'd add Trey to this list as well. People are vastly underestimating how "position-less" these AG squads are going to be.
I'm a believer in positionless basketball but you still have to be able to rebound and defend against bigger, more powerful post and paint oriented players
SeasonTicketFan (06-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a believer in positionless basketball but you still have to be able to rebound and defend against bigger, more powerful post and paint oriented players

I have a very bad feeling we're going to be on the losing end of a lot of F=ma transactions.
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Landers and Mikesell in the post??? If it comes to that, we are in trouble on defense.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
I have a very bad feeling we're going to be on the losing end of a lot of F=ma transactions.
We need more m.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (06-13-2018)