UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2013-2014 Game Threads

2013-2014 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Just read an online article that said Archie decided to bring Sanford off the bench because he has been having difficulty dealing with the loss of his grandmother. Vee said it was a good decision, it helped him to relax. His grandmother had attended al of his games, and he said no matter how loud the crowd, he could always hear her. He lived with her or in the same neighborhood all of his life.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-16-2013), San Diego Flyer (11-16-2013), T-Bone 84 (11-16-2013)
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Someone else mentioned, but it bears repeating that Kavs did an outstanding job pinning his man when Dayton guards were able to turn the corner to create clear lanes to the rim.

I though D Mo was the player of the game. He played like a senior tonight. On the defensive side he denied dribble penetration all night, his rotations were good, his help was excellent. It's not a coincidence that Dayton's defense went in the tank when he went to the bench in the first half.

The half-court sets still look out of sync, but when this team string a few stops together it's amazing how much better their offense looks.
Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Just read an online article that said Archie decided to bring Sanford off the bench because he has been having difficulty dealing with the loss of his grandmother. Vee said it was a good decision, it helped him to relax. His grandmother had attended al of his games, and he said no matter how loud the crowd, he could always hear her. He lived with her or in the same neighborhood all of his life.
Bucky had mentioned Vee's grandma Wed night. Interesting, that Archie addressed Vee coming off the bench as a better pairing with a freshman point guard - having a veteran ball handler in the back court - in the post-game.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 88flyer View Post
I did not keep track, but there were many occasions where Kavs cleared the lane for easy drives to the hoop. Doesn't show up in the box score for him, but at least 10 points due to his presence in the middle...
I noticed that, too, and I counted at least 8 points for sure (I'm sure I missed some). MK did a nice job backing his defender into the lane to give Sanford and others clear paths down the right side of the lane to the hole. I told my daughter that he should've gotten assists for those clear-outs.

Also, about the game as a whole, I noticed at one point @ halftime that SF was shooting @ 50% and that TOs and Rebs were about even, if not in SF's favor. By the end of the game, we had them down to 42% shooting, a +5 in the TO column, and were also +3 in boards. Granted, the rebounding still needs work, but we took much better care of the ball as the game wore on, and from my seat in the Arena, it looked like SF had to work for a lot of their shots (instead of having the opportunities handed to them). Much better D today, and that had an effect on the final victory margin. Also, 4 guys in double figures and two others with 9 & 8 respectively shows good sharing of the ball and working as a team. Best victory yet this season by far.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-16-2013), San Diego Flyer (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Sorry to hear that. My condolences to the Sanford family, and especially Vee.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Very often over the last five years,there has been an illness, a player family death or situation , or another intense thing us fans haven't known about until days or weeks later.

So some of you were either killing VEE or wondering what was up a couple of days ago. Well, that was what's up.

A few days after the game always gives us better perspective in general, once we take the fan glasses off.

I believe we are on a good course. NIce surprise with Khari scoring consistently the first three games. I'm always concerned about games 7-15... I think we have roles and chemistry largely set by game 8-10 of the year. I never sweat games 1 to 5, still too many moving parts.

Plus I think Coach Miller is playing with rotations some.

Another good game from Jordan on the offensive end, Scott, and more minutes for Scooch. Would like to be a little more improved and consistent overall. And we'll soon see where games 4-7 go in regard to consistency and toughness when we face G Tech and the Hawaii teams. The fact that foul shooting is steadying out, and guys are learning their roles and when minutes are coming will help them settle down and we'll be able to rely on crunch FT shooting when it's really needed.

So far last 4 minute FT shooting hasn't come up yet, as Dillard and others were pretty solid the last 2 years to end games. We will need quality FT shooting this year as the year goes on.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-16-2013), jumpin' joe (11-16-2013), San Diego Flyer (11-16-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO

There was a specific play and what immediately followed when the momentum changed in UD's favor.

Kav had been working hard against his defender and Vee did not get the ball down to him in the block. Kav really got fired up and told Vee about it. They jawed for a couple seconds, then they moved on. What happened after was that the guards and Vee specifically made a concerted effort to work the ball low. After that exchange, you could see Kav's intensity level and production bump up. Vee also seemed to up his game after that moment as well.

I am interested if anyone else saw the exchange and what their thoughts on it were.

Personally, I'm happy to see it. They are both 5th yr seniors who understand that a little dischord amongst brothers is often good for the big picture. I'm sure there was no true problem between the two of them, but if Kav doesn't speak up, the problem never gets solved and maybe we don't win this game by 20.

I open it up to the floor.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udflyerhoops2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-18-2013), San Diego Flyer (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Yes. And Vee told him you can't throw the pass when the point guard drags his defender into the passing lane.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Kav needs to worry more about actually finishing when he does get the ball.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
udflyerhoops2 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
I though D Mo was the player of the game. He played like a senior tonight. On the defensive side he denied dribble penetration all night, his rotations were good, his help was excellent. It's not a coincidence that Dayton's defense went in the tank when he went to the bench in the first half.
Oliver has the ability to stay with a guard if they switch the ball screen and he has done it well the last two games. Don't have to stop the penetration but stay between the player and the rim and angle off the penetration, then the opposing guard has to try and loft a shot over a tall player.

I also was impressed by the defense Scott played late against Cannon, he tried to take him off the bounce twice and couldn't get around him and missed tough shots both times.

Also Pierre sat for a long stretch in the second half and I am pretty sure it was because Archie wasn't happy with his defense.

Will be interesting to see if the playing rotation is shorter on Wednesday. One of the big issues in the first three games is the level of execution really drops off when the subs hit the floor. Hard for a coach to balance getting guys enough floor time to develop vs winning the games. I could see a 9 man rotation happening on Wednesday.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 11-18-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Whacker (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The only way Kavs is going to consistently score is if you put a blonde wig on the basketball and soak it in tequila.

With that said, and in his defense, he has a point...the ball needs to be passed to the low post at every opportunity...and passed back out to the wing if the shot isn't immediately there. But it's not. So there's alot of standing around...which makes it easy on the defense.
udflyerhoops2 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The only way Kavs is going to consistently score is if you put a blonde wig on the basketball and soak it in tequila.
Really? Cheap shot. You can stop pouting anytime.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-18-2013), Flyer 86 (11-18-2013), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-18-2013), TA111 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Those kind of comments got John R kicked off the board.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 11-18-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Those kind of comments got John R kicked off the board.
What?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
You amuse yourself, that much is clear. The rest of us? Not so much.

We get it. We know what you think of MK. Now how about giving it a rest?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
What?
I think they call it trolling. Many of us have had enough. Heck, your not supposed to be following the team this year anyways because of your hatred.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-18-2013)