User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,770 Times in 934 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Could the A10 Pounce?

I know this is a distasteful topic in some respects but hey, you have to feel for the schools left out of this whole shake up like Memphis, Wichita St, etc.

Is the A10 a desirable landing spot for the remaining prestigious basketball schools in the American? Could the A10 have the marbles to pull something like this off?

Imagine a press release tomorrow saying the A10 extends invites to Memphis, Wichita State, Temple, and SMU or Tulsa. Would any of them accept? Current A10 plus those four would be a very, very good league and much better than whatever is left of the American.

Please spare me the football talk. Many schools have proven it is easy to go independent (and build a good enough schedule to compete nationally if your program is capable) if the opportunity for greener pastures is there. Plus you've got 4 built-in games already. Discuss.
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Really good post..keep an eye on WSU…..
Old 09-07-2021, 10:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I know this is a distasteful topic in some respects but hey, you have to feel for the schools left out of this whole shake up like Memphis, Wichita St, etc.

Is the A10 a desirable landing spot for the remaining prestigious basketball schools in the American? Could the A10 have the marbles to pull something like this off?

Imagine a press release tomorrow saying the A10 extends invites to Memphis, Wichita State, Temple, and SMU or Tulsa. Would any of them accept? Current A10 plus those four would be a very, very good league and much better than whatever is left of the American.

Please spare me the football talk. Many schools have proven it is easy to go independent (and build a good enough schedule to compete nationally if your program is capable) if the opportunity for greener pastures is there. Plus you've got 4 built-in games already. Discuss.
No, because while you want to spare the football talk, you can't. Those schools will do what is best for football first. Wichita State would be the only viable option. The others are committed to football. And while BYU and ND can schedule as an independent and be successful, schools like UConn, UMass and New Mexico State cannot. Temple, Tulsa, SMU, and Memphis are closer to UMASS and UConn than ND and BYU.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (09-08-2021), Figgie123 (09-07-2021), hawkoooo (09-07-2021), longtimefan (09-07-2021), podcast411 (09-07-2021), rollo (09-07-2021), springborofan (09-07-2021), ud2 (09-08-2021), UD62 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I cannot imagine SMU joining a basketball oriented conference. I can imagine SMU trying to join the Big 12 to pump up their football presence. SMU is still stinging from their Football NCAA death penalties from the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 778 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
No, because while you want to spare the football talk, you can't. Those schools will do what is best for football first. Wichita State would be the only viable option. The others are committed to football. And while BYU and ND can schedule as an independent and be successful, schools like UConn, UMass and New Mexico State cannot. Temple, Tulsa, SMU, and Memphis are closer to UMASS and UConn than ND and BYU.
I would agree with your football assessment on paper . . . but, I think the walls are closing in on these types of schools. Between Covid, conference realignments, athletic dept. financials, concussions, NIL, actual chance to win anything beyond a conference title - ever!, progressive college presidents and boards of trustees, etc., etc., it will only take one or two of these types of schools to fall before you see a mass exodus of teams from football. Basketball has a more level playing field among Div1 teams - barely, but enough. The supply of serviceable bball talent is still enough to give the top quarter of any league a chance to compete for a Final Four slot. In football you might have 20 teams - total - that can compete for a playoff spot. And expanding the playoffs to 8 teams does not change the equation. The A10 needs to be aggressively ready for anything . . . .
Old 09-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Back in 1979 when Dayton de-emphasized football; that was a monumental decision. I find it hard to believe that any of these schools are ready for that type of backlash.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-10-2021), Ready Action (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

You say to discuss, but you also say not to discuss football, so I have nothing.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (09-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,287 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Question the "many" schools that have gone independent and been successful. I know of two, ND and BYU and it appears one will be going the B12. And as far as basketball teams going independent, that didn't work out real well for a school we all know and love.

Last edited by UD62; 09-07-2021 at 09:27 PM..
Old 09-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Colonel

Wichita State university stopped playing collegiate division 1 football in 1986. So, I guess Wichita State could be a potential move to a basketball-centric conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:08 AM
1st Lieutenant

Kansas City Flyer 99 will become famous soon enoughKansas City Flyer 99 will become famous soon enough
I think the American sticks around an adds some football schools like App State, Western Kentucky and Marshall.

North Texas and/or Charlotte could also be options.

If WSU decides to leave I can see them asking the Valley to come back.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:41 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
In football you might have 20 teams - total - that can compete for a playoff spot.

I think you're off by a factor of 2. And that's if they expand to an 8 team playoff.

The number that can actually win in any given year you're off by a factor of 4. And that 5th team has about 50:1 odds against.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 11:32 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
There is definitely an opportunity. What’s left of the AAC is not great, and the best teams want out. Memphis will remain but you know they will accept an invite to the Big 12 if it comes. I think that would hold true for SMU. Those have to be the best basketball programs in the AAC that aren’t Wichita St. The teams being mentioned to replace Cincy, Houston, and UCF are pretty weak. I can’t imagine Wichita State is truly excited about adding UAB or Marshall. I’ve seen Buffalo as an option, and they have had recent basketball success.

I find it hard to believe given the situation, Wichita St. couldn’t be convinced to leave. It does feel like the Big East is their most logical landing point. And the MVC would be the 2nd most logical landing point. The A-10 simply has less of a prescience in the Midwest. If the 4 closest programs to Wichita are SLU, UD, DUQ, and St. Bonaventure, Wichita feels like a big geographic outlier.

However, if the A-10 could convince both Wichita St. and Loyola Chicago to jump to the A-10 at the same time, I think they may be able to make enough of a case.
The A-10 could have a West group with Dayton, SLU, Davidson, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, Wichita St., and Loyola Chicago. Is there a better move the A-10 could make right now?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2021, 11:37 AM

Thanked 6,163 Times in 4,196 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think you're off by a factor of 2. And that's if they expand to an 8 team playoff.

The number that can actually win in any given year you're off by a factor of 4. And that 5th team has about 50:1 odds against.
No, I think the original poster is about correct. Only about 34 teams with true national potential, and I was pretty generous with my 13 maybes IMO.

Teams with a legit shot to win the title:

01. Florida State
02. Miami of Florida
03. Clemson
04. Ohio State
05. Penn State
06. Michigan
07. Michigan State
08. Nebraska
09. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma
11. Texas
12. Notre Dame
13. Boise State...MAYBE
14. Oregon
15. Southern Cal
16. Florida
17. Georgia
18. Tennessee
19. Alabama
20. Auburn
21. LSU

Teams that could maybe make an 8 team playoff:

01. Iowa
02. Purdue
03. NW
04. WV
05. Baylor
06. BYU
07. Cal
08. Stanford
09. Washington
10. TAMU
11. Cincinnati
12. Louisville
13. UCF

Editing the list of 13 maybes, lately it is more like just:

01. Cincinnati
02. Louisville
03. UCF maybe

So, maybe 24 teams with a legit 8 team playoff chance.

Last edited by ud2; 09-08-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Old 09-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is pretty funny. Following football is the reason a lot of these schools are now in trouble. Yet the exact reason given for why they wouldn't join the A10 is...football.

At some point the desire to be in a football league is outweighed by your desire to be in a quality basketball (and all other sports) league. Don't believe me? Why didn't Temple leave sooner? Why didn't they join the MAC or Conference USA instead of waiting for the "Big East?" Why didn't UMass join the MAC for all sports instead of only playing football (while they were allowed)? Why did UConn leave the American?

Everyone in this thread who liked M21 Eagle's post (other than me) would also run the American into the ground. Hopefully the A10 leadership has more creativity and fortitude than the collective posters in this thread.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-09-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is pretty funny. Following football is the reason a lot of these schools are now in trouble. Yet the exact reason given for why they wouldn't join the A10 is...football.

At some point the desire to be in a football league is outweighed by your desire to be in a quality basketball (and all other sports) league. Don't believe me? Why didn't Temple leave sooner? Why didn't they join the MAC or Conference USA instead of waiting for the "Big East?" Why didn't UMass join the MAC for all sports instead of only playing football (while they were allowed)? Why did UConn leave the American?

Everyone in this thread who liked M21 Eagle's post (other than me) would also run the American into the ground. Hopefully the A10 leadership has more creativity and fortitude than the collective posters in this thread.
The reason Temple didn't leave sooner is because they were in the position to have the best of both worlds. Remember, when Temple played in the Big East for football, WVU, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Louisville, USF, UCF, Memphis were all in the Big East. Big East Football at that time was better than the current AAC. Also, the Big East had no interests in Temple for their other sports and the A10 was happy to have them. As soon as they had to make a decision driven by football they jumped to the AAC.

As for UMass and UConn, nobody wanted them for their football even after they both tried to double down to go big in football. They both finally made decisions off of basketball after they failed miserably at football. But look where they are located. Nobody in the Northeast cares about college football. I lived in Boston for 2 years and never heard anyone excited about a BC or UMass football game. The only time BC football gets mentioned is when they do their red bandana game each year.

Now look at the other AAC schools other than Wichita State. They are all southern schools where football drives the bus. College football in the south is a different animal. Those schools will go down trying to do what is best for football before they make a decision for basketball. That is just the way it is.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 09-08-2021 at 01:04 PM..
Old 09-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Colonel

Instagram reports that Cincinnati has submitted application to join Big 12 conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Fact is, football drives television revenue, which in turn drives conference alignment. All of the decent basketball schools that do not have a division one football team should come together in a conference. It’s a simple as that. Whether that means the Big East expands to 16, or another league of 12-ish schools forms, that will be determined later. Let’s do a quick exercise. Name some college football games that our appointment television for your average sports fan, as of let’s say, 2018 or later. I’ll start. Alabama/LSU, Ohio State/Michigan, Auburn/Alabama, Florida/Georgia, Ohio State/Penn State, Texas/Oklahoma, Half of Notre Dame‘s opponents, Oregon/USC, One or two Clemson games a year, Georgia/LSU, Georgia/Alabama, One or two Ohio State nonconference games a year. so, about 20 games a year.
Now, let’s play a game of appointment viewing for college basketball. I’ll start. Duke/North Carolina. That’s it. oh and by the way, they are on twice, with the possibility of playing a third time in the ACC tournament, when they have both more than likely locked up NCAA tournament spots. I love college basketball as much as anybody else on this board, but I’m using data to talk about the situation college basketball is in. Bottom line, saying in a post we should “take football out of the equation “is extremely disingenuous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 PM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Clearly this issue is a calculus equation. If you want to know how it will pan out, just follow the money. Money has ruined every aspect of college sports - period. Title IX is a close second. Here’s a related/unrelated factoid - Northwestern spent a $1/4Billion+ for a football practice facility and they have a 5%? chance of ever getting a playoff spot. Ten years from now the ”Power 5-6” will break way from the NCAA and become a semi-pro league, at least for football. Rant over.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Clearly this issue is a calculus equation. If you want to know how it will pan out, just follow the money. Money has ruined every aspect of college sports - period. Title IX is a close second. Here’s a related/unrelated factoid - Northwestern spent a $1/4Billion+ for a football practice facility and they have a 5%? chance of ever getting a playoff spot. Ten years from now the ”Power 5-6” will break way from the NCAA and become a semi-pro league, at least for football. Rant over.

Yup. The ironic Thing that could save College basketball as we know it is Adam silver‘s hatred of it, and thus the expansion of the G league for players who want to just play ball after high school.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 06:36 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Instagram reports that Cincinnati has submitted application to join Big 12 conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big 12 presidents expected to "rubber stamp" the applications of Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and BYU, although BYU has not officially applied yet.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ucf-on-friday/:

There is no indication that BYU has made a formal application to the conference yet, though there are talks that it could join the Big 12 earlier than other programs, perhaps as soon as 2022 due to its independent status.

Last edited by ud2; 09-09-2021 at 06:39 AM..
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
I know Gonzaga has no problem scheduling strong non-con games but if BYU leaves they will struggle for "quality" games the 2nd half of the season

Last edited by NCkevi; 09-09-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-09-2021, 12:28 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
No, I think the original poster is about correct. Only about 34 teams with true national potential, and I was pretty generous with my 13 maybes IMO.

Teams with a legit shot to win the title:

01. Florida State
02. Miami of Florida
03. Clemson
04. Ohio State
05. Penn State
06. Michigan
07. Michigan State
08. Nebraska
09. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma
11. Texas
12. Notre Dame
13. Boise State...MAYBE
14. Oregon
15. Southern Cal
16. Florida
17. Georgia
18. Tennessee
19. Alabama
20. Auburn
21. LSU

Teams that could maybe make an 8 team playoff:

01. Iowa
02. Purdue
03. NW
04. WV
05. Baylor
06. BYU
07. Cal
08. Stanford
09. Washington
10. TAMU
11. Cincinnati
12. Louisville
13. UCF

Editing the list of 13 maybes, lately it is more like just:

01. Cincinnati
02. Louisville
03. UCF maybe

So, maybe 24 teams with a legit 8 team playoff chance.

The original full quote was "The supply of serviceable bball talent is still enough to give the top quarter of any league a chance to compete for a Final Four slot. In football you might have 20 teams - total - that can compete for a playoff spot. And expanding the playoffs to 8 teams does not change the equation."

I read that to mean ". . . in any given year for the major conferences" but probably should not have. My bad on that.

But to your list: There have been 13 different teams to win a national championship in the 22 years since the start of the BCS in 1998. That includes Tennessee in year 1, who is not in any way a contender, and likely won't be again for decades. Miami won 1, and USC won 2 ($$), but these schools also don't seem likely to rise from the ashes.

The rest of the list is basically the who's who of team who make the CFP each year, which started in 2014 and in the 7 years has been won by the same 4 teams, again just a simple who's who.

So for your list of 21 teams that have a "legit" shot at a national title, well, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Boise State, Tennessee....holy crap dude, stay off the drugs. Maybe 10 of those, and 5 of them probably can't win it once a generation.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM
General

Here are the teams who have made the CFP in the 7 years it has existed:

Alabama (6)
Clemson (6)
Oklahoma (4)
tOSU (4)
Notre Dame (2) - outscored by 44 points
LSU (1)
FSU (1) - lost to Oregon by 39
Oregon (1) - lost to tOSU by 22 points
Michigan State (1) - 38-0 drubbing
Washington (1) - #4 seed, lost to Alabama 24-7
Georgia (1)

There's really only a couple teams here in the world of haves and have nots.

Last edited by Gazoo; 09-09-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:21 PM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Here are the teams who have made the CFP in the 7 years it has existed:

Alabama (6)

Clemson (6)
Oklahoma (4)

tOSU (4)
Notre Dame (2) - outscored by 44 points

LSU (1)

FSU (1) - lost to Oregon by 39

Oregon (1) - lost to tOSU by 22 points

Michigan State (1) - 38-0 drubbing
Washington (1) - #4 seed, lost to Alabama 24-7

Georgia (1)

There's really only a couple teams here in the world of haves and have nots.

Could college basketball be headed in the same direction? The Blue Blood have dominated the Final Four for some time, however non Blue Bloods like Butler, VCU, George Mason have made it to the Final Four. Winning the NCAA championship was another.

Many programs like UD, X and more aspire to reach the Final Four, not win it all because they they know the chances of winning those two games it super slim. The lone exception in recent years is Villanova.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:57 PM

Thanked 10,167 Times in 5,895 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Winning the basketball NCAA or getting invited to the football playoffs is not the end all to every school and fan. Many schools and fans are shooting for their conference championship, and in basketball making the 65 teams.

I have enjoyed UD basketball to the max for the last 54 years, and will if we do not make another tourney, and we have won zero NCAA titles. I know many people who live and die with Duke, NC, Purdue, AR, TX and UC football, despite no playoffs. Not only has money somewhat taken over the scene, but more so the hype by ESPN, etc distort the joy of the season, victories, playing the game and some fans' viewpoints.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:06 PM

The original full quote was "The supply of serviceable bball talent is still enough to give the top quarter of any league a chance to compete for a Final Four slot. In football you might have 20 teams - total - that can compete for a playoff spot. And expanding the playoffs to 8 teams does not change the equation."

I read that to mean ". . . in any given year for the major conferences" but probably should not have. My bad on that.

But to your list: There have been 13 different teams to win a national championship in the 22 years since the start of the BCS in 1998. That includes Tennessee in year 1, who is not in any way a contender, and likely won't be again for decades. Miami won 1, and USC won 2 ($$), but these schools also don't seem likely to rise from the ashes.

The rest of the list is basically the who's who of team who make the CFP each year, which started in 2014 and in the 7 years has been won by the same 4 teams, again just a simple who's who.

So for your list of 21 teams that have a "legit" shot at a national title, well, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Boise State, Tennessee....holy crap dude, stay off the drugs. Maybe 10 of those, and 5 of them probably can't win it once a generation.
Nope, sorry, we are going to have to agree to disagree. And I am not on drugs, thank you very much.

I am looking at this from an all-time/100? years/however long college football has existed perspective.

So, from my list of 21 teams, I am asking could any of those 21 teams EVER win the title in today's day and age, and IMO the answer is yes to all of them.

Now, if we are only talking about the last 10 years or so, in terms of who really has a shot at the title, then I would significantly shorten my list.

Last edited by ud2; 09-10-2021 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 03:18 PM

Things ebb and flo in college football, just like everything in life. Things can change.

Alabama has only relatively recently been elite with Saban. Pre-Saban, they were not dominant.

Georgia has only just recently taken a step up.

Ohio State has only been dominant with Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer and maybe Ryan Day, Day has only been there a short time, we will see.

Not so long ago, Michigan owned Ohio State. Michigan has been down for a unprecedentedly long time for them, they will likely return to prominence at some point.

Nebraska has also been down unprecedentedly for them, they will likely return to prominence at some point.

Wisconsin under Alvarez was solid.

USC has fallen back without Pete Carroll.

Florida State is down without Bobby Bowden.

Miami of Florida has been down for a long while.

Clemson is dominant only very recently.

Oklahoma is down.

Notre Dame is up.

LSU is up.

Florida and Tennessee are down.

Etc., etc.

Things can and do change. Everything ebbs and flows.

College football success seems to be heavily-dependent on the head coach.

If you are an Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson fan, then enjoy these golden, good old glory days, because they may not last forever, one team being up means somebody else is down, and the teams that are down are trying desperately to right the ship and take you down. That is just the way things are.

And once you are down, it can take a long while to right the ship and get back on top.

Last edited by ud2; 09-10-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 05:07 PM
Brigadier General

Things ebb and flo in college football, just like everything in life. Things can change.

Alabama has only relatively recently been elite with Saban. Pre-Saban, they were not dominant. . . .

. . . . And once you are down, it can take a long while to right the ship and get back on top.
That's part of the reason "they" want to break away sooner rather than later. They have a good thing going, i.e. $$$$$$ and they have an opportunity to freeze out anything / anyone who will cut into the golden goose. They can handle all of the money themselves and eliminate weak conferences like the MAC and that pesky NCAA and their petty rules, etc. . . . . Follow the money!
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:05 PM
Colonel

That's part of the reason "they" want to break away sooner rather than later. They have a good thing going, i.e. $$$$$$ and they have an opportunity to freeze out anything / anyone who will cut into the golden goose. They can handle all of the money themselves and eliminate weak conferences like the MAC and that pesky NCAA and their petty rules, etc. . . . . Follow the money!

Add to that, live sports is the only thing that is now appointment television. If there’s a really important game on and you plan on watching it later, good luck avoiding social media, texts from friends, ESPN notifications, etc. networks will pay big money for those appointment television viewing eyeballs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2021, 08:41 PM
General

Nope, sorry, we are going to have to agree to disagree. And I am not on drugs, thank you very much.

I am looking at this from an all-time/100? years/however long college football has existed perspective.

So, from my list of 21 teams, I am asking could any of those 21 teams EVER win the title in today's day and age, and IMO the answer is yes to all of them.

Now, if we are only talking about the last 10 years or so, in terms of who really has a shot at the title, then I would significantly shorten my list.
Yeah, Duke can't keep this up forever. Eventually LaSalle (1954) and San Francisco (55 & 56) will come around.

Unless....there's been a structural change.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:21 AM

Yeah, Duke can't keep this up forever. Eventually LaSalle (1954) and San Francisco (55 & 56) will come around.

Unless....there's been a structural change.
Huh? I never mentioned Duke, LaSalle, or SF. You are being extreme there trying to exaggerate what I said.

You discount the chances of Tennessee, Miami, and USC, we will just have to agree to disagree there. USC under Carroll had a very dominant run, I highly doubt they just shrivel up and die forever. You discount Nebraska and Notre Dame too.

Nebraska was a monster program under Osborne and a few years under fearless Frank Solich, I doubt they just shrivel up and die forever.

ND is on the rise with Kelly.

Boise State, as I mentioned, might be a stretch, but they were en fuego for a while there, nobody wanted to play them.

Tennessee is down, but their stadium is massive, their attendance is great, they have the resources to be a title contender.

Miami was also a monster program there for a long while, they produced countless high draft picks.

You say once in a generation for some of the teams, I didn't realize we were putting a time restraint on this.

I agree a lot of the 21 are once in a generation, but not too long ago Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson, especially Clemson, would have all been considered once in a generation. Alabama had 1? title under Stallings in the 1990's. Alabama had 1 title from 1980 to 2008, they were a once in a generation program. They were not elite before Saban, Saban has taken them into the friggin stratosphere, few if any teams have been as good as Alabama is now, this Alabama run is possibly the greatest run in college football history all time.

Ohio State was not a title contender under Cooper or Bruce or even Woody Hayes for some of Hayes' time. OSU's last title pre-Tressel was all the way back in friggin 1968 under Hayes, that was about a 34? year draught from 1968 to 2002 iinm. Ohio State's current dominance is highly aberrant compared to a significant portion of their long term history. OSU was a once in a generation program from 1969 to 2001.

Clemson was nothing special at all 10 years ago, they were a total non-contending after thought. Heck, Clemson iinm has never been anything special other than maybe the last 5 years or so under Dabo.

The only teams that have been pretty consistent for the 10? or so years before Saban at Alabama were maybe USC, OSU, LSU, Miami, and Oklahoma. All 5 of those have struggled at some point in their history.

I think our point of disagreement is that college football IMO has a lot more turnover at the top than you think.

Right now, everybody on my list of 21 is once in a generation other than Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, and USC. But, as I mentioned, Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson were not always at the top, FSU is struggling without Bowden, Oklahoma's last 2 titles were in 1985 and 2000, USC is down without Carroll, so that leaves only 1 team, LSU, that has been real consistent. And even LSU won no titles in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's, they were a totally once in a generation program until the 2000's. The point is that every program goes thru ups and downs.

So, I will agree that right now only about 7 programs have been real consistent, but college football has a long history of change at the top, and I think that change is likely to continue, the top teams right now may not dominate forever without some other teams being at the top.

Last edited by ud2; 09-11-2021 at 04:12 AM..
Old 09-11-2021, 02:31 PM
General

Huh? I never mentioned Duke, LaSalle, or SF. You are being extreme there trying to exaggerate what I said.
"I am looking at this from an all-time/100? years/however long college football has existed perspective."

Dude it's exactly what you said. I just applied basketball instead of football.

It doesn't matter what happened 100 years ago in football or basketball. Dartmouth was probably great at one time. No mas.

The world is different. It's getting more and more narrow, with fewer teams likely to compete. It's not 100% impossible for Tennessee to win a national championship. It's just that it's not gonna happen ever again.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:52 PM

"I am looking at this from an all-time/100? years/however long college football has existed perspective."

Dude it's exactly what you said. I just applied basketball instead of football.

It doesn't matter what happened 100 years ago in football or basketball. Dartmouth was probably great at one time. No mas.

The world is different. It's getting more and more narrow, with fewer teams likely to compete. It's not 100% impossible for Tennessee to win a national championship. It's just that it's not gonna happen ever again.
When have Duke, LaSalle, and SF ever been good in football? Do LaSalle and SF even have football teams? I do not know what you are talking about. Please explain.

I disagree with your post. College football is more competitive than you are acknowledging IMO. The current domination by Alabama is highly unusual.

Things change, Miami, USC, Nebraska, etc. used to be at the top, not now, others knocked them off. There is constant change at the top, I think that change is likely to continue.

Last edited by ud2; 09-11-2021 at 03:08 PM..
Old 09-11-2021, 03:11 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
All this football discussion affects the op's original post how?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:03 PM
General

When have Duke, LaSalle, and SF ever been good in football? Do LaSalle and SF even have football teams? I do not know what you are talking about. Please explain.

I disagree with your post. College football is more competitive than you are acknowledging IMO. The current domination by Alabama is highly unusual.

Things change, Miami, USC, Nebraska, etc. used to be at the top, not now, others knocked them off. There is constant change at the top, I think that change is likely to continue.
If you can't understand that you made a comment about how football teams from 100 years ago are relevant to today, and that I simply pointed out that it's both false for football as well as basketball, then you're either intentionally being dense or are actually dense. So we're done here.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:32 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,084 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Relevancy is the Real Issue

It doesn't matter in which sport you talk about.

What really really matters is the relevancy of the team to what has happened recently.

I can show you the Browns none existent relevancy from say 1996 to 2018 or so. They had nada, zip, nothin'

I can show you the NY Knicks that have been a mess until recently.

The Reds in baseball. They flutter about with playoffs hit and misses over the last 20 years.

If you are in the viewing area of the team you may be a fan of said team and watch, but the rest of the world may have better games to watch.

Fordham had the 'Blocks of Granite' way way long time ago and I'm sure at that time people listened on the radio or read the sports section of the paper in different parts of the country. But does anyone in the country care about Fordham (in any sport) except the die hard Ram Fans - NOW?

So a team in any sport can be relevant (outside the fan base) ONLY if they demonstrate some buzz. Ex: UD with Obi and #3 ranking.

The counter to that is the JB years where we were left in the middle of the night with no conference affiliation. Talk about NO relevancy that was the lowest of lows.

Some team in any sport can hold relevancy for long periods of time yet never WIN a championship. Yet they generate enough buzz to have people interested in an outcome.

So you don't have to WIN a Championship 3 out of 5 times but if you can generate some interest 3 of 5 or 3 of 4 years you can establish some relevance to the general public.

Some teams (DUKE, KANSAS, KY to name a few in BB) have relevance that captures the sports news when they win even when they lose people open up their app or newspaper and see what those teams did last night.

Look at ND they almost always get ranked in FB even with a loss or two (and lots of times I think their 'schedule' is really soft). It takes some awful games for them to become less relevant and unranked. I think the sports writers assume that ND is relevant only until it is painfully obvious that they are not.

It is possible to be a relevant team in the world of sports and is it possible to become less relevant in short order? 100% absolutely

I give you the Archie 4 NCAA years and pretty much the immediate years after he left until 2019 (no knock on AG).

So you don't HAVE to WIN Championships (although it would be nice sometimes ) to be relevant in the sporting world.

Can any team become relevant? Yes under the right circumstances (hire a super Coach, get a great player, have a supporting cast and a few surprises) and you can be relevant. The trouble is holding on to those characteristics over the long haul.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:08 PM
Lieutenant General

I'll give you my team the Detroit Lions. Relevant in the 50's. Irelivant for the last 60+years, but we are due any year now. Our hi point was one playoff win, against the Cowboys, 30 years ago.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:39 PM

If you can't understand that you made a comment about how football teams from 100 years ago are relevant to today, and that I simply pointed out that it's both false for football as well as basketball, then you're either intentionally being dense or are actually dense. So we're done here.
Not dense, thanks for unnecessarily insulting me again btw, real classy behavior there from you again...I ​thought we were talking about football, and you threw in an irrelevant basketball reference, so you're crossing streams threw me off.

Agree to disagree, all 21 of those schools have the budgets to compete, I will agree that some are more likely to be more consistent lately, but when you start saying stuff like TN, ND, Miami, NE, and USC are basically never going to win a title again, then I think you are off.

And I disagree with your point about basketball...Dayton 2 years ago got a likely 1 seed as did SDSU...Butler went to back-to-back title games from the Horizon League...VCU went to the final 4...George Mason made the final 4...Wichita State was a 1 seed...Houston from the AAC went to the final 4...Loyola made the final 4...Gonzaga is getting multiple 1 seeds/final 4 appearances. Sure, it is less common to make a splash from outside the p5/BE, but it does happen from time to time.

Last edited by ud2; 09-12-2021 at 01:03 AM..
Old 09-12-2021, 06:13 PM
Brigadier General

So, back to the original question - could the A10 pounce? I don’t think so. I think it will be a matter of natural selection based on the specific school and the geographic location. Obviously, Temple has history with the A10, other teams have to look at the total landscape and see what makes sense for their program. The A10 will have to do the same. If there were a larger number of teams in play, it might give the A10 the balls to unload some of the bottom dwellers to strengthen the league overall - but I doubt it. That said, I wonder why the A10 has never worked to press the perennial bottom dwellers to make an effort to get better or get out.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:07 PM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
There no sense expanding a league that first needs to contract.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (09-13-2021), springborofan (09-12-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:30 AM
General

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
It doesn't matter in which sport you talk about.

What really really matters is the relevancy of the team to what has happened recently.

I can show you the Browns none existent relevancy from say 1996 to 2018 or so. They had nada, zip, nothin'

I can show you the NY Knicks that have been a mess until recently.

The Reds in baseball. They flutter about with playoffs hit and misses over the last 20 years.

If you are in the viewing area of the team you may be a fan of said team and watch, but the rest of the world may have better games to watch.

Fordham had the 'Blocks of Granite' way way long time ago and I'm sure at that time people listened on the radio or read the sports section of the paper in different parts of the country. But does anyone in the country care about Fordham (in any sport) except the die hard Ram Fans - NOW?

So a team in any sport can be relevant (outside the fan base) ONLY if they demonstrate some buzz. Ex: UD with Obi and #3 ranking.

The counter to that is the JB years where we were left in the middle of the night with no conference affiliation. Talk about NO relevancy that was the lowest of lows.

Some team in any sport can hold relevancy for long periods of time yet never WIN a championship. Yet they generate enough buzz to have people interested in an outcome.

So you don't have to WIN a Championship 3 out of 5 times but if you can generate some interest 3 of 5 or 3 of 4 years you can establish some relevance to the general public.

Some teams (DUKE, KANSAS, KY to name a few in BB) have relevance that captures the sports news when they win even when they lose people open up their app or newspaper and see what those teams did last night.

Look at ND they almost always get ranked in FB even with a loss or two (and lots of times I think their 'schedule' is really soft). It takes some awful games for them to become less relevant and unranked. I think the sports writers assume that ND is relevant only until it is painfully obvious that they are not.

It is possible to be a relevant team in the world of sports and is it possible to become less relevant in short order? 100% absolutely

I give you the Archie 4 NCAA years and pretty much the immediate years after he left until 2019 (no knock on AG).

So you don't HAVE to WIN Championships (although it would be nice sometimes ) to be relevant in the sporting world.

Can any team become relevant? Yes under the right circumstances (hire a super Coach, get a great player, have a supporting cast and a few surprises) and you can be relevant. The trouble is holding on to those characteristics over the long haul.

Pro sports in the US aren't a relevant comparison. You just need money.

College sports have fundamentally changed, even from just 10 years ago. The Butler example is barely relevant, but instead an object example of why it's not relevant anymore. Butler cared about basketball so guess what, it got pulled up to the BE. Lower level schools that don't care about basketball find it harder and harder as there is less and less money available to the non-power schools.

Then, it's even more concentrated at the top of the top.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
What Chris said. We talk about expanding a league with multiple dead weight schools in the cellar.

There are many different scenarios that could play out - but I think the A-10 expanding is the least likely.

There are those we would all love - UD moves to Big East. File that one with getting caught in a revolving door with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. Nice to dream about - but not likely.

There is the other one we love to dream about - the National Catholic Basketball League - Like CYO but on lots of Steroids.

Then there is the National Best of the Rest league - that could form after all the Football schools and the Big East are done expanding. Basically take the best 4 to 6 schools from the A-10 that are left, Wichita State, Temple, Gonzaga, Belmont, and a few others and get a solid 12 to 16 team league - where ALL schools are fully committed to Basketball - and All commit to keeping a min Attendance level or risk being kicked out.

Or absolutely nothing could happen - and we are just in the A-10 yr after yr - trying our best to avoid NCAA dance card cancelling losses to Fordham and other basement dwellers.

Sadly - I think we are in the rinse and repeat cycle for that last option.
Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
What Chris said. We talk about expanding a league with multiple dead weight schools in the cellar.

There are many different scenarios that could play out - but I think the A-10 expanding is the least likely.

There are those we would all love - UD moves to Big East. File that one with getting caught in a revolving door with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. Nice to dream about - but not likely.

There is the other one we love to dream about - the National Catholic Basketball League - Like CYO but on lots of Steroids.

Then there is the National Best of the Rest league - that could form after all the Football schools and the Big East are done expanding. Basically take the best 4 to 6 schools from the A-10 that are left, Wichita State, Temple, Gonzaga, Belmont, and a few others and get a solid 12 to 16 team league - where ALL schools are fully committed to Basketball - and All commit to keeping a min Attendance level or risk being kicked out.

Or absolutely nothing could happen - and we are just in the A-10 yr after yr - trying our best to avoid NCAA dance card cancelling losses to Fordham and other basement dwellers.

Sadly - I think we are in the rinse and repeat cycle for that last option.
Gonzaga isn't going to join that league, just like they are not going to join the Big East. That is a pipe dream that won't happen. They are almost guaranteed a spot in the tournament by winning their current conference. Why would they risk that to play in a league that is almost entirely East Coast? Make absolutely no sense for them.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 02:55 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but by this logic we never would've added Butler, VCU, Davidson, etc....
Old 09-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Thanked 3,157 Times in 800 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Everybody needs bottom fillers. Why do you think DePaul is in the Big East? Trust me, we would all love to get rid of the rumdums, but that just isn't going to happen. Other than what the Great Midwest did to UD, how many teams have been booted from any conference in the last 20-30 years.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:24 PM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but by this logic we never would've added Butler, VCU, Davidson, etc....
I believe they were replacing exit teams and/or the league was smaller then.

Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Everybody needs bottom fillers. Why do you think DePaul is in the Big East? Trust me, we would all love to get rid of the rumdums, but that just isn't going to happen. Other than what the Great Midwest did to UD, how many teams have been booted from any conference in the last 20-30 years.
I agree Mad Dog, but the Big East would not trade DePaul for Fordham, LaSalle, or GW......but the A10 would. Our rumdums are habitually worse than everyone else's rumdums.

I say all of this under the shadow of the Fordham debacle at Rose Hill last year, but even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-13-2021, 09:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,196 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Chris R;668362]I believe they were replacing exit teams and/or the league was smaller then.

A-10 membership (from A-10 message board) since 2000

2000-01 (11 teams)
Membership change: exit Virginia Tech (for Big East), divisional play eliminated.
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
Fordham Rams
George Washington Colonials
LaSalle Explorers
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
St. Bonaventure Bonnies
St. Joseph's Hawks
Temple Owls
Xavier Musketeers

2001-06 (12 teams)
Membership change: enter Richmond (from Colonial Athletic Association), divisional play re-established, St. Joseph's begins to spell out the "saint"

East Division:
Fordham Rams
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
Saint Joseph's Hawks
St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Temple Owls

West Division:
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
LaSalle Explorers
Richmond Spiders
Xavier Musketeers

2006-12 (14 teams)
Membership change: enter Charlotte and Saint Louis (both from Conference USA), divisional play eliminated.
Charlotte 49ers
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
Fordham Rams
LaSalle Explorers
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Saint Joseph's Hawks
Saint Louis Billikens
St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Temple Owls
Xavier Musketeers

2012-13 (16 teams)
Membership changes: enter Butler (from Horizon Conference f/k/a Midwest Collegiate Conference) and Virginia Commonwealth (from Colonial Athletic Association)
Butler Bulldogs
Charlotte 49ers
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
Fordham Rams
LaSalle Explorers
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Saint Joseph's Hawks
Saint Louis Billikens
St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Temple Owls
Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Xavier Musketeers

2013-14 (13 teams):
Membership changes: exit Temple (for American Athletic Conference), Charlotte (for Conference USA), Butler (for Big East) and Xavier (for Big East), enter George Mason (from Colonial Athletic Association)
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
Fordham Rams
George Mason Patriots
LaSalle Explorers
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Saint Joseph's Hawks
Saint Louis Billikens
St. Bonaventure Bonnies

2014- (14 teams):
Membership change: enter Davidson (from Southern Conference)
Davidson Wildcats
Dayton Flyers
Duquesne Dukes
Fordham Rams
George Mason Patriots
LaSalle Explorers
Massachusetts Minutemen
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Saint Joseph's Hawks
Saint Louis Billikens
St. Bonaventure Bonnies

And I agree with Chris re: Fordham. Bottom line a loss to Fordham hurts more than a loss to DePaul.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought that the purpose of DePaul being in the Big East was to give the BE a Midwest exposure. Like having Fordham was to give the A10 a NYC exposure.

We have lost at Fordham \ Rose Hill more than once. I was there during the Tony Stanley days when we lost at Fordham. I agree that a loss to Fordham hurts more. UD has a strong NYC metro area following, alumni and history. We came into NYC beating our chests as a big Midwest power and then getting on the team bus and sneaking out of town.

I think it was 1966 and I will never forget being at MSG when we beat Houston, who had Elvin Hayes and Don Chaney. Looked like a big Midwest power that day beating another Midwest power.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Ok, so I'll concede that getting rid of Fordham would have more value than adding say a Belmont for example, but what about adding Wichita State? Also, we know that getting rid of Fordham isn't a real possibility, so by default isn't the option that is possible more attractive?

The point of this thread (man do I wish I never even mentioned the word football) was to point out that there could be no-brainer* programs out there open to looking at a new home. In fact I would argue that condition exists at this very moment. I'm talking about Wichita State, Temple and Memphis specifically. And after reading every word of this thread it is still my position that we should considering extending invites.

I have been clamoring for the A10 to invite Wichita State probably since I enrolled at Dayton 17 years ago. Another golden opportunity to make this seemingly obviously addition has presented itself. I sincerely hope it doesn't go unexplored.

*I wanted to explain that by no-brainer I obviously mean a program that would without any debate improve the overall quality of the conference. WSU, Memphis and Temple fit this description. Arguably Tulsa and SMU also fit this description but the case is less obvious.

Last edited by hawkoooo; 09-14-2021 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Brigadier General

Re football

I wanted to address the football discussion in a different post to keep the points separate.

These schools that are "holding out for a P5 invite," from where do they think this invite will come? I got news for the rest of the American: the B12 is NOT "Power 5" anymore. Its a Power 4 now, and you still ain't in it whether your jersey has an A or a B12 patch on it.

By my count there are 7-8 remaining spots IF all four of the Power 4 went to 16 teams. The Pac 12 just missed out on four potential targets (Tex, OK, BYU, Houston) so the idea that they'll be clamoring to expand soon does not sound likely. The same argument can be made for the B1G and ACC who also just had opportunities to go to 16 and chose not to.

The odds that one of those 7-8 schools (if that day ever comes) is Memphis or Temple have to be exceedingly low. If I were them I'd focus on getting my prestigious brand-name basketball programs into a better league and quit worrying about who your conference football games are going to be played against.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
The A10 should absolutely bring in Wichita St if the opportunity presents itself. Yes, the A10 would benefit significantly from dropping teams - it may be better to drop teams than pickup Wichita. But better is sometime the enemy of good.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:33 AM

Thanked 10,167 Times in 5,895 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
There is no way on earth that the A10 drops a team. If WSU wants to join, take them right now.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
There is no way on earth that the A10 drops a team. If WSU wants to join, take them right now.
Yeah, maybe, I guess. I am somewhat concerned about how they do post-Gregg Marshall, although they did make the ncaat last year with hc Isaac Brown.

From 1989 to 2005, they had zero ncaat appearances, Mark Turgeon took them to the ncaat in 2006, and then they took off with Marshall, making it in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

NCAA Tournament Appearances
1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wich...27s_basketball
Old 09-16-2021, 09:35 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
There is one exception to this and that would be a merger.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lesson not lost...

Ok, so I'll concede that getting rid of Fordham would have more value than adding say a Belmont for example, but what about adding Wichita State? Also, we know that getting rid of Fordham isn't a real possibility, so by default isn't the option that is possible more attractive?

The point of this thread (man do I wish I never even mentioned the word football) was to point out that there could be no-brainer* programs out there open to looking at a new home. In fact I would argue that condition exists at this very moment. I'm talking about Wichita State, Temple and Memphis specifically. And after reading every word of this thread it is still my position that we should considering extending invites.

I have been clamoring for the A10 to invite Wichita State probably since I enrolled at Dayton 17 years ago. Another golden opportunity to make this seemingly obviously addition has presented itself. I sincerely hope it doesn't go unexplored.

*I wanted to explain that by no-brainer I obviously mean a program that would without any debate improve the overall quality of the conference. WSU, Memphis and Temple fit this description. Arguably Tulsa and SMU also fit this description but the case is less obvious.
Schools learn from past experiences, and not just their own.

The original Big East was a great success. It's downfall began when it began to add football schools. Schools that play big time FB have important interests that clash with those of BB-only schools.

Additionally, the big-time FB schools are invariably public institutions while many top-tier BB schools are private and much smaller, further exacerbating the institutional clashes.'

I was a grad student at Northwestern when the Big Ten really had ten schools....only one of which was private, NU. Although NU was a founding member of the Big Ten and surely knows of the benefit, I recall much talk at the time about NU always being on the short end, 9-1, of voting on just about any issue.

Bottom line: A major hybrid conference comprised of FB and BB schools, private and public, large and small...spells nothing but trouble in the long run. The issues differentiating the interests of schools are of fundamental importance.

Even in the A10 their is a clash of interests. How else does one explain a major institution like Fordham refusing to invest adequately in BB while operating a scholarship FCS FB program...a money pit if ever their was one?
Old 09-19-2021, 12:51 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, maybe, I guess. I am somewhat concerned about how they do post-Gregg Marshall, although they did make the ncaat last year with hc Isaac Brown.

From 1989 to 2005, they had zero ncaat appearances, Mark Turgeon took them to the ncaat in 2006, and then they took off with Marshall, making it in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

NCAA Tournament Appearances
1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wich...27s_basketball
Since the AAC is falling apart, I see no way UD or A10 wants to be part of a conference with FBS schools. And no Big East team is leaving that conference. So if UD/A10 is looking elsewhere, that leaves the 218 D1 Bball schools that don't play FBS football or aren't in the Big East.

Kenpom does a "Program Ranking" that ranks all 357 D1 teams in the 24 years since he started his database (1997-2021). In an effort the add some data to the discussion of which programs the A10/Dayton should purge and/or go after, here are the Top 20 non-FBS, non-Big East schools with their overall program rank:

6 Gonzaga
55 Wichita St.
72 Dayton
75 VCU
76 Saint Mary's
91 Davidson
92 Saint Joseph's
93 Northern Iowa
94 Saint Louis
96 Rhode Island
98 Richmond
102 Missouri St.
104 Massachusetts
108 George Washington
110 St. Bonaventure
111 Illinois St.
112 Southern Illinois
115 George Mason
116 Murray St.
117 Valparaiso

From the A10, only LaSalle (135 overall, 29 non-FBS&BE), Duquesne (153, 42) and Fordham (213, 86) are not in the Top 20 of non-FBS, non-BE schools.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-19-2021), ClaytonFlyerFan (09-19-2021), frisco flyer (09-19-2021), Gazoo (09-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
Since the AAC is falling apart, I see no way UD or A10 wants to be part of a conference with FBS schools. And no Big East team is leaving that conference. So if UD/A10 is looking elsewhere, that leaves the 218 D1 Bball schools that don't play FBS football or aren't in the Big East.

Kenpom does a "Program Ranking" that ranks all 357 D1 teams in the 24 years since he started his database (1997-2021). In an effort the add some data to the discussion of which programs the A10/Dayton should purge and/or go after, here are the Top 20 non-FBS, non-Big East schools with their overall program rank:

6 Gonzaga
55 Wichita St.
72 Dayton
75 VCU
76 Saint Mary's
91 Davidson
92 Saint Joseph's
93 Northern Iowa
94 Saint Louis
96 Rhode Island
98 Richmond
102 Missouri St.
104 Massachusetts
108 George Washington
110 St. Bonaventure
111 Illinois St.
112 Southern Illinois
115 George Mason
116 Murray St.
117 Valparaiso

From the A10, only LaSalle (135 overall, 29 non-FBS&BE), Duquesne (153, 42) and Fordham (213, 86) are not in the Top 20 of non-FBS, non-BE schools.
I have a Kenpom subscription, where on the site is this link? And where's Belmont on that list? Where's Vermont?
Old 09-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,751 Times in 793 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

6 Gonzaga
55 Wichita St.
72 Dayton
75 VCU
76 Saint Mary's
91 Davidson
92 Saint Joseph's
93 Northern Iowa
94 Saint Louis
96 Rhode Island
98 Richmond
102 Missouri St.
104 Massachusetts
108 George Washington
110 St. Bonaventure
111 Illinois St.
112 Southern Illinois
115 George Mason
116 Murray St.
117 Valparaiso

Based on these awesome stats, there aren't really too many practical options for upgrades outside of WSU. While DU is out of the top 20, they have been better recently and have invested in their facilities and have one of the better venues in the conference.

GU and SM aren't ever joining. Most of the MVC teams in the top 20 have had years we'd love to add them and then a year or two later, no thanks. Without looking the stats up, NIU has been pretty steady of the past 10 years.

I'd love to get WSU in the A10 as that would finally end all the MLK day discussions :-)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:07 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Kenpom subscription, where on the site is this link? And where's Belmont on that list? Where's Vermont?
Belmont is 118, 21st in non-FBS&BE
Vermont 136, just below LaSalle

https://kenpom.com/programs.php & here for an explanantion: https://kenpom.com/blog/program-ratings/
Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:08 PM

Belmont is 118, 21st in non-FBS&BE
Vermont 136, just below LaSalle

https://kenpom.com/programs.php & here for an explanantion: https://kenpom.com/blog/program-ratings/
I would like to see him break it down more if he could, such as the last 10 years, last 15 years, etc. Vermont and Belmont would be ranked higher if the time frame was shorter.

Wichita without Marshall still concerns me.

And I don't like that he is including recruit rankings and league affiliation in his rankings computation formula, it should be just based on wins and losses.

Last edited by ud2; 09-19-2021 at 11:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2021, 08:04 AM
Lieutenant General

I would like to see him break it down more if he could, such as the last 10 years, last 15 years, etc. Vermont and Belmont would be ranked higher if the time frame was shorter.

And I don't like that he is including recruit rankings and league affiliation in his rankings computation formula, it should be just based on wins and losses.
Would agree on recruit rankings, but I believe the strength of the league they play in is a factor
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,132 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

Wait…just a few weeks ago you were arguing that UConn was as good as Memphis in football. You had to stretch it out to the early 2000’s to try to make your argument. Now, it should be the last 10 years? SMH…
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (09-20-2021), Marysville Flyer (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Wait…just a few weeks ago you were arguing that UConn was as good as Memphis in football. You had to stretch it out to the early 2000’s to try to make your argument. Now, it should be the last 10 years? SMH…
Fair enough, but UConn showed potential in football. If I am the ACC, Big 12, or Big 10(a stretch, I know), and I am evaluating UConn vs. Memphis, the point I was making was that over the long term when taking into consideration UConn's great basketball history, I don't know if the football team's recent struggles would scare me off.

And Memphis is not some football juggernaut.

Belmont started taking off around 2006. Vermont took off around 2003. Both programs have similar profiles in that sense.

Just feels like programs that did what it took to reach the top of their current league and dominate, will do well in a tougher league, they have institutional aspiration.

Last edited by ud2; 09-20-2021 at 09:33 AM..