User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-29-2021, 10:54 AM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Knowing that it's virtually impossible to kick teams out of the A10 this is an extreme long shot but I think given all that's going on the only conference upgrade

The NCAA has said they aren't taking away at large bids or adding new automatic bids

Given that you hope the OVC goes under, get control of their autobid and form a new conference shedding Fordham, La Salle, etc. like the Mountain West did to the WAC in the 90s

I think at the end of the day the problem is that for the vast majority of A10 teams the current set up works for them

Maybe UD, STL or VCU would really care about changing the status quo
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
KC Flyer already cleaned up the UNI typos, thanks for that. The first statement is pure speculation. Why would any AAC team rule out the A10, especially WSU? You seem to be guessing and not basing your guess on any evidence or logic. Funny I actually remember a big rumor that ECU was headed to the A10 during the BE breakup.

For the umpteenth time in this thread alone, the A10 is never dropping teams. Ever. Mentioning this (and I know Chris R does this too) is a complete non sequitur. You might as well be speaking your own language only you understand. Yes this could happen in a merger but no one ever talks about a merger they just talk about dropping teams. Not gonna happen!

Your point, which is not new or interesting in any way, is that you don't think there is anyone worth adding. Cool, good to know. When thinking about this topic from now on I'll make sure to remember that UD2 and a few other UDPriders don't think anyone is good enough to add.

The A10 has gone beyond 14 before. The A10 has added programs that are objectively worse than the potential additions we are discussing in this thread. Murray State, Belmont, and Wichita State would instantly make the conference better and more competitive. If you disagree with this last sentence that is perfectly fine, but a blanket statement that those teams aren't good enough and that we need to remove teams instead is simply not an argument. Provide evidence. Did you defend the addition of George Mason? Did you decry it? Would you advocate it over the teams I've mentioned?
George Mason, at the time of their addition to the A10, had a significantly stronger recent profile of performance than UNI, Murray State, Vermont, or Belmont. Wichita State is the only one with a stronger/similar profile vs. GM.

GM has totally bombed in the A10 vs. what was expected of them. Let's wait and see if Murray State and Belmont can excel in the tougher MVC, we do not want a repeat of GM.

WSU is never joining the A10.

Vermont is not going anywhere, you can grab them at any time, wait and see if they are able to up their game further.

Once you add somebody to the A10, you can never get rid of them, you are stuck with them forever, you need to be extremely picky about who you add.

I'm even lukewarm on UNI. I would not add them at this time. I need to see more from them.

The only way I would consider(again, I only said consider, I am not 100% sold), adding Murray State, Belmont, Vermont, or UNI right now is if the A10 was dissolved and a new league was formed from scratch, and this is a total fantasy, we all know that a new league will never be formed.

Last edited by ud2; 09-29-2021 at 11:37 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (09-30-2021), m21eagle45 (09-29-2021), OSU Flyer (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:52 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Commitment

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
George Mason, at the time of their addition to the A10, had a significantly stronger recent profile of performance than UNI, Murray State, Vermont, or Belmont. Wichita State is the only one with a stronger/similar profile vs. GM.

GM has totally bombed in the A10 vs. what was expected of them. Let's wait and see if Murray State and Belmont can excel in the tougher MVC, we do not want a repeat of GM.

WSU is never joining the A10.

Vermont is not going anywhere, you can grab them at any time, wait and see if they are able to up their game further.

Once you add somebody to the A10, you can never get rid of them, you are stuck with them forever, you need to be extremely picky about who you add.

I'm even lukewarm on UNI. I would not add them at this time. I need to see more from them.

The only way I would consider(again, I only said consider, I am not 100% sold), adding Murray State, Belmont, Vermont, or UNI right now is if the A10 was dissolved and a new league was formed from scratch, and this is a total fantasy, we all know that a new league will never be formed.
A good measure of a school's commitment is their investment in facilities and the level of fan support. A school that invests in top-tier facilities and consistently draws an average of 3500, let's say, reflects a serious enduring commitment to BB at a high level. And, or course, the reverse is also true. Such a commitment does not guarantee success but it is necessary for success which usually follows.

Consider the A10: Two schools (at least), Fordham and Lasalle are apparently satisfied with HS-level facilities. So long as the A1o tolerates that FU and LU will be a drag on the Conference by all measures. The A10 wouldn't have to "toss out" those two schools. Just establish minimum standards for facilities with a 5 year time limit for achievement. If either FU or LU refuses to meet the standard they are, in effect, choosing to leave the Conference. They are not being "kicked out".

Consider SJU: St. Joes is having a rough time at the moment. But the school has an illustrious history and has recently made a significant investment in a facility upgrade. SJU will never draw 10,000 in Philly. That's not necessary in order to demonstrate a serious commitment.

I have been in URI's Ryan Center a number of times. It is a top notch facility, the Rams draw well...and attendance at a game makes abundantly clear that top tier BB is an important objective at URI.

It is hard to believe that the heavy hitters, UD, SLU, VCU, along with programs like URI, SBU,..collectively cannot exert enough influence to force change in the A10. Clearly, it's in their interest and in the interest of other mid-Conference programs to maintain the A10 at the highest level possible. Toleration of programs like FU and LU, hangers on, that do not share commitment is harmful to those that do.

I don't think Chris has discussed this issue with Neil. Perhaps we're missing something. If so, I'd like to know what it is. Chris, the question for Neil is, "Why do A10 schools tolerate programs that drag down the others. And what can be done about it?"
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (09-30-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 09:12 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Consider the A10: Two schools (at least), Fordham and Lasalle are apparently satisfied with HS-level facilities. So long as the A1o tolerates that FU and LU will be a drag on the Conference by all measures. The A10 wouldn't have to "toss out" those two schools. Just establish minimum standards for facilities with a 5 year time limit for achievement. If either FU or LU refuses to meet the standard they are, in effect, choosing to leave the Conference. They are not being "kicked out"...

I don't think Chris has discussed this issue with Neil. Perhaps we're missing something. If so, I'd like to know what it is. Chris, the question for Neil is, "Why do A10 schools tolerate programs that drag down the others. And what can be done about it?"
It's a good question; I don't think we would get an honest answer. During media day, it would be great to pose that question at the commissioner level as well as to a each of the ADs to see what the consensus answer is (and to stir the pot a little).
Old 09-29-2021, 11:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It is hard to believe that the heavy hitters, UD, SLU, VCU, along with programs like URI, SBU,..collectively cannot exert enough influence to force change in the A10. Clearly, it's in their interest and in the interest of other mid-Conference programs to maintain the A10 at the highest level possible. Toleration of programs like FU and LU, hangers on, that do not share commitment is harmful to those that do.

What leverage do those 5 programs really have to influence something that never happens? Where are they going to go? Is the MVC inviting them all? Even if they did, they've got dogs there too and I don't believe their tier2 programs are as good as the A10's tier2.

The 5 program block has nowhere to go that improves their standing and none of them individually seems to have enough luster to go to the BE which is the only real individual upgrade.

To me, the only opportunity would be if all or the majority of those 5 got invited to the AAC and that is highly unlikely. I think UD and VCU need to stick together and at least 1 other of the 5 would need to go together for it to make any sense if it was even an option.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-04-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
So at the end of the day, after all the what ifs, maybes, could be's, should be's and have to be's., the A-10 is in a fairly good position, will not drop schools and may over time add a school or two, or not.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
So at the end of the day, after all the what ifs, maybes, could be's, should be's and have to be's., the A-10 is in a fairly good position, will not drop schools and may over time add a school or two, or not.
And, thankfully, another off season is almost over!
Old 10-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
One of the more confusing arguments I see in this series of posts but also in other similar topics is that the A-10 would be better if they got rid of the bottom feeders. I suppose the argument being the schedule would be stronger and the league would get more recognition and therefore have a better chance to build a name and get bids to the NCAA tournament.

My guess is just the opposite is as likely to occur. The result would be that some of the conference programs currently in the middle would now become the bottom feeders and they would be subject to calls to be banished from the league. The other and possibly even at the same time would be more parity in the league with each team beating up on each other (real parity) and no one team developing a good enough overall record to justify playing with the big boys. While the power 5 can get away with making the argument "sure we have a losing record but look who we lost to, we still belong in the tournament" this same argument would fall on deaf ears of the media and NCAA powers if made by a midlevel conference like the A 10.

The argument for dropping the current bottom feeders reminds me of a story one of my co workers told me. He was working for a big drug store chain when they fell on hard times. The Upper Management was going to be smart. They closed the stores that had the lowest profit. The problem they encountered was that after closing the stores the chain still had stores with the lowest profit and that their profit was lower than in the past because some of the fixed overhead was being spread over fewer stores. Eventually the chain closed down

What looks intelligent from a short term perspective may be just the opposite when viewed in the long term.

Frankly there is nothing wrong with padding your record with bottom feeders. Notre Dame under Digger Phelps made a name for itself in the 1970s by playing teams like Valpariso on Tuesday and UCLA on Saturday. They would win all their Tuesday games and split their Saturday games and make the argument that they should be ranked and in the tournament because their overall record was good and they had managed to beat some quality teams. Georgetown rose to power under John Thompson using the same formula. And it is one reason that today most power 5 conferences deliberately choose to play the weakest opponents possible out of conference to pad their won lost records.

Figure 1/4 of any conference is perennially bad and 1/4 are having bad years and a barely good team has a chance of going at least .500 in conference. And maybe even better if they get lucky and beat one of the really good conference teams at home. If they schedule enough patsys in the out of conference schedule they have an almost sure chance of winning over 20 games and making the argument that they belong in the Tournament.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
One of the more confusing arguments I see in this series of posts but also in other similar topics is that the A-10 would be better if they got rid of the bottom feeders. I suppose the argument being the schedule would be stronger and the league would get more recognition and therefore have a better chance to build a name and get bids to the NCAA tournament.

My guess is just the opposite is as likely to occur. The result would be that some of the conference programs currently in the middle would now become the bottom feeders and they would be subject to calls to be banished from the league. The other and possibly even at the same time would be more parity in the league with each team beating up on each other (real parity) and no one team developing a good enough overall record to justify playing with the big boys. While the power 5 can get away with making the argument "sure we have a losing record but look who we lost to, we still belong in the tournament" this same argument would fall on deaf ears of the media and NCAA powers if made by a midlevel conference like the A 10.

The argument for dropping the current bottom feeders reminds me of a story one of my co workers told me. He was working for a big drug store chain when they fell on hard times. The Upper Management was going to be smart. They closed the stores that had the lowest profit. The problem they encountered was that after closing the stores the chain still had stores with the lowest profit and that their profit was lower than in the past because some of the fixed overhead was being spread over fewer stores. Eventually the chain closed down

What looks intelligent from a short term perspective may be just the opposite when viewed in the long term.

Frankly there is nothing wrong with padding your record with bottom feeders. Notre Dame under Digger Phelps made a name for itself in the 1970s by playing teams like Valpariso on Tuesday and UCLA on Saturday. They would win all their Tuesday games and split their Saturday games and make the argument that they should be ranked and in the tournament because their overall record was good and they had managed to beat some quality teams. Georgetown rose to power under John Thompson using the same formula. And it is one reason that today most power 5 conferences deliberately choose to play the weakest opponents possible out of conference to pad their won lost records.

Figure 1/4 of any conference is perennially bad and 1/4 are having bad years and a barely good team has a chance of going at least .500 in conference. And maybe even better if they get lucky and beat one of the really good conference teams at home. If they schedule enough patsys in the out of conference schedule they have an almost sure chance of winning over 20 games and making the argument that they belong in the Tournament.
Naturally, if you remove the traditional bottom feeders, a few of the traditional middle of the pack teams would become bottom feeders. The difference is, the teams that many want to get rid of show no desire to invest in basketball or facilities. Getting rid of Fordham and LaSalle would make the league much better in my opinion. All the other programs in the A10 have shown they will spend money and put in an effort to compete. While LaSalle has had some recent success, their facilities are by far the worst in the league and all their other sports are always bottom 3 of the league. GW, Duquesne, and St. Joe have all made investments into their teams and are at least showing effort to improve. I do not think we need to go crazy, but going back down to 12 teams would be ideal in my opinion.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (10-01-2021), UACFlyer (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
@PeteThamel
Sources: Air Force and Colorado State will also be staying in the Mountain West. They had been heavily courted and considered the AAC, along with Boise State and San Diego State. All four schools will remain in the Mountain West.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:09 AM
General

The rumor is Memphis and Boise are headed to the Big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma officially leave.

If that's the case the AAC is in big trouble.

I think if all this goes down it increases the odds that Wichita is looking for a home
Old 10-01-2021, 12:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
The rumor is Memphis and Boise are headed to the Big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma officially leave.

If that's the case the AAC is in big trouble.

I think if all this goes down it increases the odds that Wichita is looking for a home
From what I understand this is happening. There is nothing the AAC can do to save themselves (well there was, but that time passed). Can you all see now why I've been beating the Wichita drum so hard in here? The time is now! Catch that beautiful butterfly!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (10-01-2021), ud2 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 12:46 PM
General

If the AAC is down to adding UAB, Marshall, Costal Carolina caliber teams that kills the conference if Memphis leaves

Navy could go independent again

I would say in that scenario SMU and/or Tulsa could jump ship to the MWC

The Missouri Valley might be a better league than what the AAC ends up being. Wichita could definitely bail. Marshall, App State, Costal Carolina, Arkansas State are going to sink the AAC as a top 10 basketball conference

If it's a worst case scenario for the AAC would Temple considering going indy and putting their olympic sports back in the A10? Sounds crazy but the AAC is glorified C-USA/Sun Belt in the worst case scenario
Old 10-01-2021, 01:07 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Kick out Fordham and LaSalle. Add Temple and Wichita State.

Yes please.

Last edited by ud2; 10-01-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 01:36 PM

I would say in that scenario SMU and/or Tulsa could jump ship to the MWC
I could see Gonzaga and Saint Mary's jumping to the MW also.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:58 PM
1st Lieutenant

Kansas City Flyer 99 will become famous soon enoughKansas City Flyer 99 will become famous soon enough
Looks like Murray St to the Valley is almost 100% done -- reports on KY radio and twitter.

WSU fans now want to return to the Valley.

Valley fans are dreaming of going to 16 now and taking Tulsa and WSU back from the AAC and inviting Dayton and St. Louis.

Full Disclosure Note: As mentioned in other posts in the past years I am a proud UD grad who has lived in Valley cities and become a huge Valley fan as well. So I feel this 16 team league would be great for Dayton.
Mad Props to Kansas City Flyer 99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:59 PM
General

Isn't a big part of the allure of the A10 is helps UD recruits students from the east coast?

I feel like a read somewhere that was a big selling point of the conference
Old 10-01-2021, 05:43 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't a big part of the allure of the A10 is helps UD recruits students from the east coast?

I feel like a read somewhere that was a big selling point of the conference
UD is much more of a Midwest school now. I know that will upset the old NYC alums, but see demographics below. Top 5 states of enrollment are all Midwest.

If you click the map near the bottom, it gives you a state by state breakdown.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...sity/#overview
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-01-2021), OSU Flyer (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas City Flyer 99 View Post
Looks like Murray St to the Valley is almost 100% done -- reports on KY radio and twitter.

WSU fans now want to return to the Valley.

Valley fans are dreaming of going to 16 now and taking Tulsa and WSU back from the AAC and inviting Dayton and St. Louis.

Full Disclosure Note: As mentioned in other posts in the past years I am a proud UD grad who has lived in Valley cities and become a huge Valley fan as well. So I feel this 16 team league would be great for Dayton.
No thanks. So you would have UD, SLU, Tulsa, WSU, and unproven Murray State and unproven Belmont. All of those other MVC schools, even Loyola, do not excite me. And Loyola just lost their hc.

WSU would be very foolish to chose the MVC over the A10, the A10 is a no brainer for them. Add WSU and Temple to the A10 and stick a fork in the AAC.

The A10 needs to go after WSU and Temple right now if this Memphis/Boise to the Big 12 rumor is true. Don't let something crazy happen like the AAC or the MVC somehow refortifying/start poaching other leagues/start poaching the A10. I am with hawkoooo on this, strike now.

Last edited by ud2; 10-01-2021 at 06:01 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 06:02 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
So if the A10 was to bring in east coast kids, it is a dismal failure.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:23 PM

Thanked 2,428 Times in 829 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
UD is much more of a Midwest school now. I know that will upset the old NYC alums, but see demographics below. Top 5 states of enrollment are all Midwest.

If you click the map near the bottom, it gives you a state by state breakdown.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...sity/#overview
Make that four of the top five. You’ll never tell a Pennsylvanian their state is in the Midwest. It’s in the Northeast, though truth be told there’s a world of difference between Pittsburgh and Philly. Nonetheless, even ‘Burghers — and I was one — consider their state in the Northeast. The U.S. government thinks likewise.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...t-south-2018-4

Last edited by The Fly; 10-01-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Make that four of the top five. You’ll never tell a Pennsylvanian their state is in the Midwest. It’s in the Northeast, though truth be told there’s a world of difference between Pittsburgh and Philly. Nonetheless, even ‘Burghers — and I was one — consider their state in the Northeast. The U.S. government thinks likewise.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...t-south-2018-4
That's funny you say that! My friends from Pittsburgh all say that they are midwestern because they do not see themselves being the same as people from NYC or Boston.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:41 PM

Thanked 2,428 Times in 829 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
My Pittsburgh friends see it differently. Regardless, it is considered Northeast, even if much of Western Pennsylvania sports Midwest sensibilities. But on the whole, this is much ado about nothing as it pertains to conference affiliation. I hope UD continues to recruit a geographically diverse student body.
Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-02-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Big East commissioner told The Athletic today that she will ask her presidents to examine expansion with the Fox deal expiring in 2025.

"What school helps with our basketball aspirations?"

OOOOOOOOOOOO pick me! I know!!!!
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:29 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Big East commissioner told The Athletic today that she will ask her presidents to examine expansion with the Fox deal expiring in 2025.

"What school helps with our basketball aspirations?"

OOOOOOOOOOOO pick me! I know!!!!

Wright State?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
The most important games on our schedule this year are St. Louis, VCU, Richmond, and God willing, a couple of games the weekend of March 17 through the 20th.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2021, 04:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
If she is asking the schools to looking into with the Fox deal coming up in a few seasons, that tells me that Fox, or other media entities are telling them they "need more product". So the key question is, how much more product to they need? 1 team to take them to 12, 3 to take them to 14, 5 to take them to 16? maybe even 4 to take them to 15?

Seems like FS1 is pretty much locked out of the ACC, SEC, B10, etc... for basektball, so its Big East or nothin, reasons they will be driving the ship on if and how expansion happens in the Big East.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 04:13 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
If she is asking the schools to looking into with the Fox deal coming up in a few seasons, that tells me that Fox, or other media entities are telling them they "need more product". So the key question is, how much more product to they need? 1 team to take them to 12, 3 to take them to 14, 5 to take them to 16? maybe even 4 to take them to 15?

Seems like FS1 is pretty much locked out of the ACC, SEC, B10, etc... for basektball, so its Big East or nothin, reasons they will be driving the ship on if and how expansion happens in the Big East.

FS1 does broadcast Summit big 10, pac12, and I believe some Big 12 games. That said, Big East is the only I think they have near total rites to.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (10-14-2021), Medford (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 04:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
I think that the Big East is very happy with the current makeup of the league. 11 teams, each team playing a true round robin, 20 conference games for each member. If the Big East expands it will be because Fox wants it.

Last edited by Bill McPeek; 10-14-2021 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If the Bug East expands, it will be because their pockets become a bit fuller. The Big East can go somewhere else to get a deal. This is a mutually beneficial deal. The Big East teams make more money. FS1 makes more money. It's a real win-win.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:29 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Big East expansion probable

Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
I think that the Big East is very happy with the current makeup of the league. 11 teams, each team playing a true round robin, 20 conference games for each member. If the Big East expands it will be because Fox wants it.
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
If the Bug East expands, it will be because their pockets become a bit fuller. The Big East can go somewhere else to get a deal. This is a mutually beneficial deal. The Big East teams make more money. FS1 makes more money. It's a real win-win.
A few days ago the Big East commissioner said that she will suggest expansion when the current TV deal with Fox ends. The UConn AD has already supported such a move.

Now for some relatively uninformed opinion. I don't think the BE will add just one or two teams...probably will go to 14. SLU is a no-brainer, bridging the gap to Creighton, a Jesuit school. We know a few other things: For the most part it's all about money; Dayton has everything (almost) and would be a jewel in the BE. But what does UD have to offer that addresses the issue, "It's all about money"?

In the category "Be careful what you wish for". Dayton is well positioned to be dominant every year in the A10, which has the potential to be a better conference. Dayton will not be dominant in the BE and typically could be a mid-pack program most of the time.

But, it's all about money.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 10-15-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-15-2021, 08:54 AM

Now for some relatively uniformed opinion. I don't think the BE will add just one or two teams...probably will go to 14. SLU is a no-brainer, bridging the gap to Creighton, a Jesuit school. We know a few other things: For the most part it's all about money; Dayton has everything (almost) and would be a jewel in the BE. But what does UD have to offer that addresses the issue, "It's all about money"?

In the category "Be careful what you wish for". Dayton is well positioned to be dominant every year in the A10, which has the potential to be a better conference. Dayton will not be dominant in the BE and typically could be a mid-pack program most of the time.
I am concerned about VCU and Wichita State. I am also worried about Temple. The A10 without VCU would be weaker. The all-private barrier was broken by UConn.

Last edited by ud2; 10-15-2021 at 08:58 AM..
Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Colonel

A few days ago the Big East commissioner said that she will suggest expansion when the current TV deal with Fox ends. The UConn AD has already supported such a move.

Now for some relatively uniformed opinion. I don't think the BE will add just one or two teams...probably will go to 14. SLU is a no-brainer, bridging the gap to Creighton, a Jesuit school. We know a few other things: For the most part it's all about money; Dayton has everything (almost) and would be a jewel in the BE. But what does UD have to offer that addresses the issue, "It's all about money"?

But, it's all about money.

If Dayton wants to remain a viable division one program, they need to move to the big east. When, not if, college football conferences become part of a 64 team league that will consider breaking off of the NCAA totally, they may consider taking the big east for basketball because of programs like Villanova, Georgetown, etc. The current NCAA conferences will affectively become division two schools. Nobody will care about that tournament. Oh, and guess what, currently if you finish outside the top two, in a good year, three teams in the Atlantic 10, you are not dancing. Finishing number five in the big east? No big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (10-18-2021), Gazoo (10-15-2021), springborofan (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:23 AM

UConn....a special case?

I am concerned about VCU and Wichita State. I am also worried about Temple. The A10 without VCU would be weaker. The all-private barrier was broken by UConn.
True, UConn is a public university....but as a BE founding member, a special case perhaps.

The goals, objectives, interests of public and private schools differ markedly resulting in frequent conflict. The private schools of the BE know that all too well from their past experience in the "original" BE.

The money and Fox may carry the day; and there may not be three really attractive privates. I still wonder; from the viewpoint of money in the bank, what makes UD a really attractive candidate...attractive enough such that Fox says, "we want UD to be part of BE expansion".
Old 10-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Colonel

In terms of what we have to offer? A Fanbase that will make its presence known in every big east TV market that currently exists both on the eastern seaboard and in the Midwest. Academic alignment with most institutions would make those people happy, even though, let’s face it, nobody outside of a group of presidents really cares about that. thankfully, Dayton/Springfield itself is another television market, and the share ratings wise for Dayton games would be such that The number of viewers would be higher than even larger television markets like New York and Philly with multiple sports teams. To echo points here, the big east will expand because fox wants them to expand. It has nothing to do with the Jesuit mob, college presidents, whatever. You know why they took that public school called Connecticut? Because fox told them too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2021, 09:34 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
If Dayton wants to remain a viable division one program, they need to move to the big east. When, not if, college football conferences become part of a 64 team league that will consider breaking off of the NCAA totally, they may consider taking the big east for basketball because of programs like Villanova, Georgetown, etc. The current NCAA conferences will affectively become division two schools. Nobody will care about that tournament. Oh, and guess what, currently if you finish outside the top two, in a good year, three teams in the Atlantic 10, you are not dancing. Finishing number five in the big east? No big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where do people get this stuff? You sitting in on meetings with Greg Sankey and Kevin Warren? Of did you listen to a couple college football podcasts?

It's one thing to posit a possible future doomsday scenario. It's another thing entirely to pretend you know this is a certainty and Dayton HAS to move now.

I think the A10 is suitable for the time-being. I think it's a lot more fun being a big fish in a smaller pond than struggling to swim in a big conference. I also don't worry about the financial piece like Neil Sullivan, but I think Butler's a great example of what you get into when you make the jump. Same goes for Xavier. Again though, the athletic department coffers might look great though. So, what do I know?
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:39 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
In terms of what we have to offer? A Fanbase that will make its presence known in every big east TV market that currently exists both on the eastern seaboard and in the Midwest. Academic alignment with most institutions would make those people happy, even though, let’s face it, nobody outside of a group of presidents really cares about that. thankfully, Dayton/Springfield itself is another television market, and the share ratings wise for Dayton games would be such that The number of viewers would be higher than even larger television markets like New York and Philly with multiple sports teams. To echo points here, the big east will expand because fox wants them to expand. It has nothing to do with the Jesuit mob, college presidents, whatever. You know why they took that public school called Connecticut? Because fox told them too.
Posted via Mobile Device
The days of television markets are over. We're not tied to local cable packages anymore. It's all about general draw. Does a Dayton game move the needle on YouTube TV or Hulu Live? Geography doesn't matter, size of the fan base is what matters now.

You'd think this would be a plus for Dayton, but despite the rabid basketball following, I've never gotten the impression that conferences are chomping at the bit to bring Dayton in. The size of the student population/alumni base is relatively small. Maybe that takes the day.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
The days of television markets are over. We're not tied to local cable packages anymore. It's all about general draw. Does a Dayton game move the needle on YouTube TV or Hulu Live? Geography doesn't matter, size of the fan base is what matters now.

You'd think this would be a plus for Dayton, but despite the rabid basketball following, I've never gotten the impression that conferences are chomping at the bit to bring Dayton in. The size of the student population/alumni base is relatively small. Maybe that takes the day.
Dayton would be somewhere in the middle as far as student population and endowment. We would be 6th in enrollment and endowment( endowment could be off a bit+ or -) we are currently 8th in enrollment in the A-10.
While fox will have input, I believe the Jesuit mafia will be a factor.

Last edited by UD62; 10-15-2021 at 10:57 AM..
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Brigadier General

Now for some relatively uniformed opinion. I don't think the BE will add just one or two teams...probably will go to 14. SLU is a no-brainer, bridging the gap to Creighton, a Jesuit school.
I think you meant "uninformed" but I don't think this post is uninformed at all. Spot-on take. It will be at least 14.

When all the rage is to go to 16 WITH football content, you'd better be adding teams if you do not provide football content.

Dayton and Saint Louis are painfully obvious. I'm not sure what they do beyond that but my gut says Richmond if they go to 14.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:39 PM
General

Probably all depends on TV. Does Fox or whoever gets the Big East TV rights want more inventory for FS1/2 and network Fox?

I'm also curious if the Big East gets a lessor TV deal now. ESPN has so much inventory for basketball and other sports I can't see them making a big play for the Big East

NBCSN is dead. Not sure who else besides Fox and ESPN would make a bid for them unless a streaming company wants to use this to jump start something
Old 10-15-2021, 01:11 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Where do people get this stuff? You sitting in on meetings with Greg Sankey and Kevin Warren? Of did you listen to a couple college football podcasts?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, . . .

Where do you get off predicting 8 will be next?

Sure, it doesn't have to be. But all signs point that way.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:16 PM

NBCSN is dead. Not sure who else besides Fox and ESPN would make a bid for them unless a streaming company wants to use this to jump start something
I thought the same thing, CBS Sports Network is the only other nationwide cable sports broadcaster that I can even think of. ABC doesn't have a cable sports network. TNT/TRU TV/TBS/USA, etc. don't do college basketball during the regular season.

Wasn't there a network called something like Vs. or Versus? They were a renaming of some other network iinm, don't think they lasted too long or were renamed already. I don't think they exist anymore, were around for less than a year maybe.

Last edited by ud2; 10-15-2021 at 01:18 PM..
Old 10-15-2021, 01:22 PM
General

I thought the same thing, CBS Sports Network is the only other nationwide cable sports broadcaster that I can even think of. ABC doesn't have a cable sports network. TNT/TRU TV/TBS/USA, etc. don't do college basketball during the regular season.

Wasn't there a network called something like Vs. or Versus? They were a renaming of some other network iinm, don't think they lasted too long or were renamed already. I don't think they exist anymore, were around for less than a year maybe.
ABC and ESPN are owned by Disney

Versus turned into NBCSN

CBS gets some Big East games but they don't seem like aggressive players in bidding outside of the NFL/Golf. They let ESPN get the SEC out from under them

CBS SN might make a play for the Big East but I'd guess it's way less money than what the BE is getting now
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 01:34 PM
General

The Big East will jump as high as TV tells it

Most of the Big East conference rents or splits time in a rented arena. That's a bunch of secondary revenue like parking, concessions, in arena advertising that they split or don't get it all

Georgetown rents an NBA arena to draw less than 10,000 people a game. St. John's is playing most home games in a 5,000 seat gym on campus

Fox TV money is the lifeblood of many of these programs
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (10-15-2021), hawkoooo (10-15-2021), ud2 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
I also think the BE would look to add more than 1 school. 14 or 16 makes sense logistically for a conference.

Of schools that are available (ie, no football) and logistically viable (ie, not Gonzaga), Dayton, VCU, SLU and Wichita St stick out. Dayton, VCU and SLU would give anything for entry and with the AAC in collapse I can't see why Wichita would want to stay there. Getting to 16 is a little trickier, probably picking from RI, Richmond, Loyola Chicago, Drake, Northern Iowa.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wallage View Post
I also think the BE would look to add more than 1 school. 14 or 16 makes sense logistically for a conference.

Of schools that are available (ie, no football) and logistically viable (ie, not Gonzaga), Dayton, VCU, SLU and Wichita St stick out. Dayton, VCU and SLU would give anything for entry and with the AAC in collapse I can't see why Wichita would want to stay there. Getting to 16 is a little trickier, probably picking from RI, Richmond, Loyola Chicago, Drake, Northern Iowa.
Not Syracuse and Norte Dame?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
St. Louis

So St. Louis is inviting the public to attend for a press conference "for a major announcement regarding the future of Billiken Athletics" Tuesday afternoon. Any guesses on what this might be, or if conference related?

Funny side note- Comment of the day on Twitter by 937Flyer. "They are erecting a statue of Jalen Crutcher." Well played sir!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (10-19-2021), SLUFLYER (10-18-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 10:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
So St. Louis is inviting the public to attend for a press conference "for a major announcement regarding the future of Billiken Athletics" Tuesday afternoon. Any guesses on what this might be, or if conference related?

Funny side note- Comment of the day on Twitter by 937Flyer. "They are erecting a statue of Jalen Crutcher." Well played sir!
Stu Durando (like their Jablonski) said it's about facilities
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (10-16-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:05 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Wallage View Post

If they add 3 to get to 14. And the 3 are UD, SLU and Wichita State. That gives them a western division of:
Crei
Depaul
Marq
Slu
UD
WS
X

14 with those 3 added geographically makes sense. Play all in your division twice and all in the other div once = 19 Conf games. 1 less then they are playing now.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:15 AM
General

I think at one point like minded schools, relationships, etc. mattered. but now the TV money is the almighty

If Amazon said they're getting into the sports game and went to the Big East and told them add Dayton, STL, VCU and Wichita we'll up your TV money. I'm sure Xavier doesn't want us and maybe some others but Texas A&M didn't want Texas in the SEC
Old 10-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
If they add 3 to get to 14. And the 3 are UD, SLU and Wichita State. That gives them a western division of:
Crei
Depaul
Marq
Slu
UD
WS
X

14 with those 3 added geographically makes sense. Play all in your division twice and all in the other div once = 19 Conf games. 1 less then they are playing now.
That would make a lot of sense. But that's the problem. It makes too much sense so it probably won't happen.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Stu Durando (like their Jablonski) said it's about facilities
The dead giveaway that it’s not a conference change is that… The Atlantic 10 re-tweeted it. I imagine the A10 would not have exactly hinted at that on their social media channels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2021, 11:04 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
The dead giveaway that it’s not a conference change is that… The Atlantic 10 re-tweeted it. I imagine the A10 would not have exactly hinted at that on their social media channels.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's absolutely facilities related. The Champions Center. It's essentially a massive add-on/extension to Chaifetz Arena that will house all kinds of additional amenities for ALL sports at SLU - things like new(er) offices, athlete fueling stations, expanded weight rooms, upgraded locker rooms (for other sports). For those not familiar with SLU/Chaifetz layout on campus, it's right in the middle of the "Billiken Sports Complex", which houses the soccer field, baseball field and softball field.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to the AAC. Conference USA pilfered.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to the AAC. Conference USA pilfered.
Wichita State, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, and USF basketball teams can't be happy.

Last edited by ud2; 10-18-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:37 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Wichita State, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, and USF basketball teams can't be happy.
It wouldn’t shock me to see Wichita State go back to the Missouri Valley.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
It wouldn’t shock me to see Wichita State go back to the Missouri Valley.
Agree, seems like the MVC or the A10 are their only options.

WSU to the A10 seems like a no brainer other than the traveling distance, I did not realize that Wichita, Kansas is a 6.5 hour drive from Saint Louis, that could be a deal breaker. SLU is farther from WSU than it is from UD, that is hard to wrap my head around, the distances further west are deceivingly large.

They could try for a no-football exemption invite to the MW, seems like a long shot.

And the MVC is stronger now with Murray State and Belmont.
Gazoo (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:41 PM
General

Even if Witchita wanted to come I could see Fordham, La Salle and others balking about the distance
Old 10-19-2021, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Agree, seems like the MVC or the A10 are their only options.

WSU to the A10 seems like a no brainer other than the traveling distance, I did not realize that Wichita, Kansas is a 6.5 hour drive from Saint Louis, that could be a deal breaker. SLU is farther from WSU than it is from UD, that is hard to wrap my head around, the distances further west are deceivingly large.

Reminds me of my first days at UD. A couple of the new students from New York and New Jersey were talking about a road trip to California now that they had come so far west.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-20-2021), NJFlyr71 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Brigadier General

Rice, UAB, UTSA, FAU, Charlotte, North Texas are "sending applications."

If this is any sign of what's to come then I'd like to reiterate for at least the 6th time in this thread alone that the A10 should send an invite to Wichita State and Temple at the very least and potentially Tulsa. The American is a few signatures away from becoming a third-tier football and basketball league.
Gazoo (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 10:35 AM
General

Rice, UAB, UTSA, FAU, Charlotte, North Texas are "sending applications."

If this is any sign of what's to come then I'd like to reiterate for at least the 6th time in this thread alone that the A10 should send an invite to Wichita State and Temple at the very least and potentially Tulsa. The American is a few signatures away from becoming a third-tier football and basketball league.
Jon Rothstein on Twitter was saying this new league would kill their basketball program and they should go indy in football and put hoops back in the A10
Old 10-20-2021, 11:57 AM
Brigadier General

Jon Rothstein on Twitter was saying this new league would kill their basketball program and they should go indy in football and put hoops back in the A10
Yes I would imagine that those three schools specifically are scrambling to get out. Hopefully we can snag one or two. I don't know where the hell else they'd go.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Found the following in today's Asbury Park (NJ) Press regarding the Big East. The full article discusses the upcoming season and the Big East, with emphasis on Seton Hall. I will not bore you with the full article but here is what is what the reporter stated regarding Big East expansion: (nothing other than what is being speculated other than expanding to just 12 teams)

1. Expansion? Maybe

In speaking recently with The Athletic, Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said the league will explore expanding beyond 11 teams.

You can bet the coaches are ambivalent at best about that.

“That’s over my pay grade,” Willard (Seton Hall coach) said when asked about the possibility. “I think we’re in a really good spot as a league. If there’s someone that makes sense to the presidents and athletic directors, they know more than me.”

Willard praised the round-robin schedule, which would be difficult to maintain if a 12th team is added.

“The round-robin makes it really fair,” Willard said. “The Big East regular season champion has earned it. You can’t say, ‘Well, they didn’t get to play (such and such team) twice.’ It’s a true test.”

Where would the Big East look for a 12th team? There is internal talk of Gonzaga as the ideal addition, one that would really move the needle, but as a basketball-only member due to the distance. Other possibilities could be Wichita State, Dayton and Saint Louis.
Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 05:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Found this over at the A-10 message board:

Oct 19
Ackerman: "I also want to acknowledge Georgetown president Jack DeGioia as Chair of the NCAA Board of Governors. That group has been in overdrive managing an unprecedented sequence of developments." #BEMediaDay
Hilltop Hoops
@HilltopHoops_
Ackerman says they have begun to review their conference alignment strategy that was created only 5 years ago. Mentions being able to "adapt" and being "nimble"

Translation: Expansion is coming to the Big East.

#BEMediaDay
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-21-2021), ud2 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Brigadier General

Official

AAC officially adding UTSA, Charlotte, FAU, North Texas, Rice and UAB.

Boy I hope somebody is awake at the A10 office and is at least as intelligent as this dope behind a keyboard.
Flyer 86 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:39 PM
Brigadier General

Where would the Big East look for a 12th team? There is internal talk of Gonzaga as the ideal addition, one that would really move the needle, but as a basketball-only member due to the distance. Other possibilities could be Wichita State, Dayton and Saint Louis.
The current BE + WSU, UD, SLU and Gonzaga as a "basketball-only member" would overnight become the best conference in basketball and would fight for that title every year without exception.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Major General

The current BE + WSU, UD, SLU and Gonzaga as a "basketball-only member" would overnight become the best conference in basketball and would fight for that title every year without exception.
I don't think they can be a basketball only member. I believe the only exception to the rule is football. If they would join the BE then all the sports that Gonzaga has that the BE offers would also have to join the BE. I am trying to remember where I read that when UT and OU bolted to the SEC.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Reminds me of my first days at UD. A couple of the new students from New York and New Jersey were talking about a road trip to California now that they had come so far west.

I knew students from some of the 5 boroughs of NYC and some didn't know there was land west of the Hudson.

I always chuckled when people would refer to Ohio as being in the "MID"-west. I think Dayton is about 600 miles from NJ. Flight distance Newark Liberty to LAX is roughly 2500 miles with a midpoint somewhere in Kansas.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Found the following in today's Asbury Park (NJ) Press regarding the Big East. The full article discusses the upcoming season and the Big East, with emphasis on Seton Hall. I will not bore you with the full article but here is what is what the reporter stated regarding Big East expansion: (nothing other than what is being speculated other than expanding to just 12 teams)

Wichita State is a stretch due to distance with Gonzaga being an even farther stretch. I can't see Tennis, Soccer and Golf teams traveling back & forth on a regular basis. For the Zags and WS they could most likely stay on the 'east coast' and play a few teams while they made the trip. But at best staying no more than a week they could only play 2 maybe 3 teams...

Where it gets problematic is the 'east' coast teams playing a game in Kansas and then traveling another full day just to get to middle Washington.

I agree the Zags are a 'prize' in any conference but do the Zags want to be in a conference where they most likely have to travel 3 time zones on a weekly or every other week basis?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant General

I suggest NBE going to two divisions, West: Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Creighton, X, UD, SLU, and WSU. East: Providence, SJU, S Hall, G'Town, Nova, UCONN, Temple and VCU. WSU would have the longest trips, but they would go 790 mi to UD, Friers currently go 1060 to Marquette, and about the same to Butler, DePaul and X.and even farther to the Bluejays. Would make for a very strong basketball conference.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-22-2021), Runnin' Rebel (10-21-2021), UDEE79 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:44 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
If Huggy Bear gets his way…

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/6114684001
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2021, 03:43 AM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Another CUSA defection as Southern Miss heading to Sun Belt. Reports are ODU and Marshall in talks to jump from CUSA as well. Last one to leave turn out the lights.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 10-23-2021, 02:27 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
If Huggy Bear gets his way…

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/6114684001
Posted via Mobile Device
Be careful what you wish for Bob. The big 12 is about to be demoted from the ranks of the power conferences.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:59 PM
1st Lieutenant

PalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nicePalmBeachFlyer is just really nice
I really don't see the attraction to WSU. Marshall is gone, not a huge market, public university. They would be wise to run back to MVC. A10 teams keep 75% of NCAA $ they earn. Let Grant continue his program and wait for the BE. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:19 PM
Major General

UIC now joining the MVC. I think the A10 missed a huge opportunity in this round of realignment. They should have been more productive and added Belmont or Murray State to go with Loyola, especially after how long it took for the MVC to add Murray State. Good moves for the MVC, they definitely improved their conference with adding these 3.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...t-at-12-teams/
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 05:23 PM
General

UIC now joining the MVC. I think the A10 missed a huge opportunity in this round of realignment. They should have been more productive and added Belmont or Murray State to go with Loyola, especially after how long it took for the MVC to add Murray State. Good moves for the MVC, they definitely improved their conference with adding these 3.

I wonder if they're trying to make a play Wichita for 16
Old 01-22-2022, 05:30 PM
General

Originally Posted by PalmBeachFlyer View Post
I really don't see the attraction to WSU. Marshall is gone, not a huge market, public university. They would be wise to run back to MVC. A10 teams keep 75% of NCAA $ they earn. Let Grant continue his program and wait for the BE. Fingers crossed.
They've good facilities. A nice practice facility and arena. Fan support is good and they're the only show in town.

They've got a basketball budget that would put them in the top 4 of the A10
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:18 PM

This is real hard to understand, UIC has been terrible for a good while now. NKU, Wright State, maybe Chattanooga, maybe ETSU, maybe one of the state schools in North or South Dakota would have been a better choice.

Wright State might have missed their big chance to move up.

UIC has been really, really bad lately.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:29 PM

Makes no sense at all IMO, terrible expansion decision. Being in Chicago makes no difference if nobody watches, and UIC is terrible.

This is like Fordham in the A10.

UIC Torvik ratings:

Old 01-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Major General

This is real hard to understand, UIC has been terrible for a good while now. NKU, Wright State, maybe Chattanooga, maybe ETSU, maybe one of the state schools in North or South Dakota would have been a better choice.

Wright State might have missed their big chance to move up.

UIC has been really, really bad lately.
Makes no sense at all IMO, terrible expansion decision. Being in Chicago makes no difference if nobody watches, and UIC is terrible.

This is like Fordham in the A10.

UIC Torvik ratings:

Chicago is really important to many Valley schools for for their alumni base as well as a large percentage of current students. It was important to the conference to keep the Chicago market. Also, keep in mind, Loyola was just as bad when they left the Horizon for the Valley. I think they are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-25-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 11:02 AM
Brigadier General

UIC is a horrible add.

I too think the A10 is making a play for Wichita State. They are the available prize for the taking, uniquely situated as the only leftover basketball school in what is essentially an upper tier of Conference USA.

I was at first annoyed at the oversight of Belmont and Murray State, but if your goal is 16 and you think you can get WSU/Loyola I understand why you go for that. I'd just add all four of them but clearly that isn't happening. Getting back to 16 with those two additions gets you an extra bid per year. For a conference dangerously close to one-bid status the importance of an extra bid to buffer the down years cannot be understated.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:22 PM

UIC is a horrible add.

I too think the A10 is making a play for Wichita State. They are the available prize for the taking, uniquely situated as the only leftover basketball school in what is essentially an upper tier of Conference USA.

I was at first annoyed at the oversight of Belmont and Murray State, but if your goal is 16 and you think you can get WSU/Loyola I understand why you go for that. I'd just add all four of them but clearly that isn't happening. Getting back to 16 with those two additions gets you an extra bid per year. For a conference dangerously close to one-bid status the importance of an extra bid to buffer the down years cannot be understated.
We can still poach Belmont from the MVC. Yes, go get Wichita. Maybe have east-west divsions, because Wichita is very far away.

West:
Wichita
Loyola
Dayton
Duquesne
SLU
Bonnies
Belmont
Davidson

East:
RI
Fordham
VCU
GM
LaSalle
SJU
GW
Richmond

The West is the clearly better division.

Last edited by ud2; 01-23-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant General

We can still poach Belmont from the MVC. Yes, go get Wichita. Maybe have east-west divsions, because Wichita is very far away.

West:
Wichita
Loyola
Dayton
Duquesne
SLU
Bonnies
Belmont
Davidson

East:
RI
Fordham
VCU
GM
LaSalle
SJU
GW
Richmond

The West is the clearly better division.
And UMASS goes independent?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-23-2022), m21eagle45 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
And UMASS goes independent?
Oops, not sure the divisions idea works, too hard to get a good balance.

Revised: drop Belmont, add UMass

West:
Wichita
Loyola
Dayton
Duquesne
SLU
Bonnies
Davidson
GM

East:
RI
Fordham
VCU
LaSalle
SJU
GW
Richmond
UMass
Old 01-23-2022, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant General

[QUOTE=ud2;681837]Oops, not sure the divisions idea works, too hard to get a good balance.

Revised: drop Belmont, add UMass

West:
Wichita
Loyola
Dayton
Duquesne
SLU
Bonnies
Davidson
GM

East:
RI
Fordham
VCU
LaSalle
SJU
GW
Richmond
UMass[/QUOT

Would work, but the imbalance in strength of programs is huge.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:24 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Anything can happen. Boise State and SDSU were once in the Big East.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 01-23-2022, 06:58 PM

Huh?

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Chris, where did that info come from?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:15 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
They've good facilities. A nice practice facility and arena. Fan support is good and they're the only show in town.

They've got a basketball budget that would put them in the top 4 of the A10
Been there often as I lived in that part of the country for 7 years. WSU MBB program presence is exactly the same as UD oil Dayton. Their fanbase is equally as rabid. Marshall was a tool that treated players and alum like crap. He lost both and got the boot.

They would be a legit add.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-25-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:32 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Wasn't it Boise and TCU? But neither officially joined if I remember correctly.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:56 AM

Chris, where did that info come from?
There was the period when the Big East was expanding to stabilize itself. Boise, SDSU, and BYU backed out due to being unhappy with the BE losing additional schools after the offer to have them join was made. Iinm, Louisville and Rutgers left after the offer was made.

Also, iinm, Temple was added after the offer was made.

Iinm, Air Force turned down the offer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010...rship_turnover:

The Big East invited nine schools – four (University of Houston, Southern Methodist University, University of Memphis, University of Central Florida) as full members, five as football-only members (United States Air Force Academy, United States Naval Academy, Boise State University, Brigham Young University, San Diego State University).[29][30] To further stabilize the conference, members unanimously agreed to double the exit fee from $5 million to $10 million, contingent on any one accepted invitation.[31] Of the schools, all four invited to full membership accepted, as well as football-only Boise State, Navy, and San Diego State.[32][33][34][35] BYU and the Big East were unable to come to terms; the conference insisted that BYU relinquish its TV rights for its home games as a condition of membership, and BYU was unwilling to do so.[36]

Last edited by ud2; 01-24-2022 at 01:08 AM..
UACFlyer (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 12:57 AM

Wasn't it Boise and TCU? But neither officially joined if I remember correctly.
TCU got invited and joined but backed out and joined the Big 12.

Last edited by ud2; 01-24-2022 at 01:56 AM..
Old 01-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Brigadier General

During that brief period the Big East had swelled to 19 total teams, a total number I quite like, as it allows a true 18-game round robin.

A better way to think about the geographical problem is not divisions but whole separate conferences for non-spectator sports.

So 21 teams sounds crazy for a basketball conference right? Not when you break it down to two smaller leagues for the rest of the sports.

The "West" of the A10 therefore would only have to travel to the "East" for MBB. This method dispenses with the problem of geography almost entirely.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:13 AM
General

RE: UIC, Loyola was at the time a mediocre team in the Horizon before they moved over to the MVC. Their add was questioned at the time

Maybe some of the basketball programs take a jump in the AAC but I think they could be a one bid league.

Not sure if an east coast conference would appeal to Wichita but possible.

I've seen speculation they could try for the Mountain West but I'm not sure that would be much difference travel wise vs the A10
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is nearly twice as far as far from Wichita as Denver. I would think that any move they would make would be to a conference offering more stability. I’m not sure that the A10 would be that conference. What if St Louis and Dayton end up in the Big East? What if Dayton and St Louis left now? Would they still consider the A10 (this assumes they would consider it now)?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2022, 09:31 AM
Brigadier General

Dayton is nearly twice as far as far from Wichita as Denver. I would think that any move they would make would be to a conference offering more stability. I’m not sure that the A10 would be that conference. What if St Louis and Dayton end up in the Big East? What if Dayton and St Louis left now? Would they still consider the A10 (this assumes they would consider it now)?
Posted via Mobile Device
What is their alternative?
Old 01-25-2022, 01:16 PM
General

Posted via Mobile Device
It depends on how bad the new AAC might be. Even if Memphis stays they seem to be all flash, no substance these days

They'd have South Florida, Charlotte, Philly, Tampa in the new AAC so travel won't be easy there
Old 01-25-2022, 02:29 PM

What is their alternative?
I will bet WSU ends up in the MW or MVC. The A10 seems too far away.

MW with 3 teams getting at large bids as of now: Colorado State, Boise State, and SDSU. MW is stronger than the new MVC with Belmont and Murray State, but the MVC teams are closer.

Kansas borders Colorado to the east. Belmont is in Nashville, MSU is in southwest Kentucky.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant General

It depends on how bad the new AAC might be. Even if Memphis stays they seem to be all flash, no substance these days

They'd have South Florida, Charlotte, Philly, Tampa in the new AAC so travel won't be easy there
And Memphis is a ? Penny is a big name, has recruited well, but can he coach, they are underperforming and PH is lashing out at folks. AAc inself is a big question mark. WSU could be looking for options but I think at this point the A-10 is a stretch, and they will probably stay put.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:56 PM
Major General

I will bet WSU ends up in the MW or MVC. The A10 seems too far away.

MW with 3 teams getting at large bids as of now: Colorado State, Boise State, and SDSU. MW is stronger than the new MVC with Belmont and Murray State, but the MVC teams are closer.

Kansas borders Colorado to the east. Belmont is in Nashville, MSU is in southwest Kentucky.

They won't go back to the MVC with their tails between their legs. And to be honest, if you follow the MVC at all, they do not want WSU back in their league.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:18 PM
Academy Doolie

MadHatterTX will become famous soon enough
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway ;-)

UD have any desire to move up in football? I'm a volleyball guy so I love Dayton's dominance in the A10, and would love to see them in the Big East, but moving up divisions in Football gives a lot more conference alignment options.