User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Gameplan for beating tOSU?

This is a tough matchup. Yes, they are offensively challenged, but their whole offense is getting to the rim, and we struggle to not commit touch fouls while defending.

We have to get to 70 to win, I think, which will be no mean feat against this defense.

Interested in what the b-ball X's and O's experts on here feel the keys will be to beating the Buckeyes?
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
make shots. When this team does they are very good. Move the ball, make the extra pass.

One advantage the Flyers have over must other OSU opponents is that Craft is very good at taking the opposing PG out of the game but the Flyers really share the ball and the PGs don't handle it much more than anyone else.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 03-17-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
If Aaron Craft shoots a bunch... we win... dude is awful
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
From what I've read, the whole buckeye team struggles from outside. Pack it in. Make them beat us with jumpers. This will deny their penetration and create turnovers when they begin to force the issue. Gotta win the rebound battle and push the ball on any long rebound. I know we won't play a zone at all (god forbid), but I've read that they really struggle against zones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Flop when Craft's forearm touches a defender's chest. I really want to see Kyle Davis get after him. Otherwise, play the London Warren defense against him and dare him to shoot. We've given up at least 18 points to a guard in each of the past 2 games and still should have won both. Why not give a 3rd guy an opportunity.
Craft's defense can be neutralized by our balance and non-PGs pushing the ball after missed baskets.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Captain

The Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these parts
I would also like to see KD guard Craft with a little bit of his own hands on defense. I heard Craft is majoring in computer science, which is good because the world knows how great of a hacker he is.

This game will depend on how much effort we put forth on defense. Also will come down to nailing shots, which Sibert is poised to do.

No stupid fouls, play with confidence, and we can win this game.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
OSU's one big advantage is that they regularly play in the tourney. This will be all new to Dayton and could cause them to get out of rhythm in the beginning. It is key for Dayton to not fall behind early.

To the threads point. Dayton is what it is. There are no new tricks in the bag. While a zone might be preferred, I'd be shocked to see one. We did play one possession against St. Joe's in a zone but I think that was the first this year. We need good shooting from our scorers and a pleasant surprise from someone else.

I expect OSU to layoff our guards especially Smith. I don't think they will double team the post and will protect back with two people.

As always, got to make free throws.
Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Free throws have been very sporadic this year. Some games great. Some games terrible.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
My HS coach...

Originally Posted by sabo2 View Post
.....While a zone might be preferred, I'd be shocked to see one. We did play one possession against St. Joe's in a zone but I think that was the first this year. We need good shooting from our scorers and a pleasant surprise from someone else.
My HS coach did something that was very effective...and I'm surprised that I don't see it in the college ranks.

We would start out in either man-to-man or zone. He had a signal that we would watch for running up court after scoring every FG. Upon seeing the signal we would switch from whatever defense we had been playing.

This is not rocket science. But, it did confuse the opponent for at least a possession or two.Then, whichever defense seemed to be most effective, coach would stay with it for awhile. No time out...just a signal.

At least at the HS level, the unpredictable, "surprise" defensive changes were effective.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
My thoughts:
1) Hit free throws. They will likely get to the line more than us, and we will need those points. Have to beat 70%, and preferably we'd hit 75%.
2) Crash the boards. We've sustained a pretty good rebounding margin this year, and we'll need it this game.
3) Run and gun / push the ball all game long. We can outrun them, and we need to wear them down.
4) Stack the paint, especially when Craft has the ball.
5) Sibert needs to drop 32+ points. Ok, maybe not, but how awesome would that be!
5a) Realistically, we need an all around good showing. Guys that have the jitters or are struggling to get into rhythm will need to find their way to the bench early.
6) Do not get into a hole! Do not take the 5:00 "Flyer nap" that we've all seen too many times.

Last edited by pmcmullen; 03-17-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Major

Odrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud of
Obviously have watched UD a ton and the Buckeyes quite a bit.

Craft is as dynamic as they come defensively. His speed scares me quite a bit and how Price and Scooch will handle the pressure.

Ohio St when going good can defend the perimeter quite well. They have great atleticism and great length as you would expect from a highly recruited team.

Thad will have them playing with great defensive effort and it will be a strong man to man effort mixed with some zone. IMO I dont think OSU will zone much.

On Offense, Ohio St is not as strong as they should be as evident by their scoring lapses. Craft can create a ton but his he errors when he tries to do too much. He has tried to be the man this year instead of facilitator which is his strenght. Laq. Ross can put up 25 one night and 4 another. Good young talent with worlds of athleticism. Williams inside is a big body with which we will struggle a bit with. Smith to me is kind of Ohio St's make or break guy. When he is going good early in a game they are tough to beat. He is a streaky shooter of which will test Dayton Defense. Ohio' State doesnt do anything crazy on offense and they tend to rely on dribble drive to create.

For UD, to me this game is very similar to UMASS. Great speed at the point, great length for UMASS at the wings and a big center.

On Offense it is no secret---When Dayton moves the ball around and shifts the defense it creates lanes for our dribble penetration which opens shots and kick outs. Craft is very hard to get by but I believe Oliver, Vee, Seibert and Pierre must take the ball into the lane. If we are playing 25 feet away Ohio State will win. We must make a concerted effort to pound the ball inside. Where we can win is with our matchups on the wing. IMO Oliver is a matchup problem for OSU.

Rebounding- Lets face it Ohio State misses shots, but they can board with their length. Our guards must be willing to help and get in there. Kavs and Oliver have to muscle up.

Fast Break points- OSU is not very deep so to a point our ability to push the ball will stress their defense.

Emotion- Lots of sub plots for this game- Dayton needs to focus on their strenghts and what they do well and not change because they are playing BCS schools. I don't believe we will have a problem with this. Dayton should be playing with a chip on their shoulder and a nothing to lose mindset.

Initial thoughts for me, more to come as I digest this more...

Go Flyers!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Captain

DaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to behold
I've watched a lot of OSU games this year and they remind me a lot of a SLU. Both play tenacious halfcourt D, put a lot of pressure on the shooters and pack the driving lanes. Just like SLU, OSU is a streaky team; their games mostly consist of extended periods of runs/droughts. Make no mistake, OSU shooters (Smith, Jr., Ross and Thompson) can get hot just like SLU's... as evident by the 18pt comeback against NEB. OSU's biggest weakness is rebounding; coincidentally, our strength. Their strength, creating turnovers and forcing offenses to make poor shots, which, at times, can be where we struggle.

My keys:
- Good start; can't afford to be down 12-3 in the first 5-8mins
- Rebound, rebound, rebound...
- Fast break points
- Balance scoring (keeping the D honest; spread them out; create driving lanes)
- first to 70 wins.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
the type of matchup I was worried about was a team that has big inside players that are effective inside, the Flyers have struggled against good interior players. The Buckeyes are smallish (they play s SF at the 4 in Ross, like the Flyers do with Oliver), athletic and don't have a great perimeter shooter.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DaytonDecibelDungeon View Post
I've watched a lot of OSU games this year and they remind me a lot of a SLU. Both play tenacious halfcourt D, put a lot of pressure on the shooters and pack the driving lanes. Just like SLU, OSU is a streaky team; their games mostly consist of extended periods of runs/droughts. Make no mistake, OSU shooters (Smith, Jr., Ross and Thompson) can get hot just like SLU's... as evident by the 18pt comeback against NEB. OSU's biggest weakness is rebounding; coincidentally, our strength. Their strength, creating turnovers and forcing offenses to make poor shots, which, at times, can be where we struggle.

My keys:
- Good start; can't afford to be down 12-3 in the first 5-8mins
- Rebound, rebound, rebound...
- Fast break points
- Balance scoring (keeping the D honest; spread them out; create driving lanes)
- first to 70 wins.
I would add the following:

- Take three's within the content of the offense. Don't force a three unless the shot clock is running out.
- Watch the transition defense. We have a habit of letting guards get shots in transition especially 3's.
- Determine early on how the hand checking is being called. If it's tight that helps us.
- Play defense the entire position.
- Crash the boards, especially from the wings.
- Watch the OSU runs. This team won't give-up even if they're down.
- Get the ball into the post. Even if Kavs passes out. We have to keep their Bigs honest.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
OSU paper on the game
http://thelantern.com/2014/03/ohio-s...ampaign=buffer
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-17-2014)