UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,422 Times in 1,795 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton to Daytona

Spina has officially cancelled the University's affliation with the trip.

Last edited by cj; 07-10-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,426 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Frankly I am very surprised that this had not happened sooner. The event can still take place without the UD affiliation.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM

cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
The Daytona Chamber of Commerce should sponsor the trip.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,234 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Spina is a spineless loser. He is out to destroy every tradition at UD. Guy just doesn't understand the culture of UD and the sooner he is gone the better.

And yes I understand the trip can still occur without UD officially being involved but the guy just doesn't get it.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Major

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. First, the St. Patrick's Day student beat down, now this.

I'm guessing that this is to position UD "correctly" for the large corporate donors that they are courting for the upcoming capital campaign???

Just watch as UD gets more politically correct. (You may have seen the seemingly hush hush diversity/inclusion task force that Spina is spearheading)

This is not good -
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Here is the text of Spina's announcement:

Dear Students,

Warmest regards from campus! We hope you have been enjoying the summer and are looking forward to the new academic year.

We realize those of you who are upper-class students might be planning to participate in a recreational trip to Dayton Beach, Florida, shortly after the school year ends. We recognize that the Dayton to Daytona trip has been a long-standing tradition for UD students. However, due to a number of risk factors, the University is changing its relationship to the trip. For this reason, the University will no longer provide logistical or staff support.

This does not, however, prevent you from independently arranging a post-graduation or other travel experiences with your friends. The current tour company may continue to offer a similar excursion and students may join this trip independently.

We made this decision after carefully studying the recent history of the trip and the benefits and risks of the University's continued support. Based on this assessment, we have concluded that the risks are just too great to continue the University's involvement. The Board of Trustees, UD alumni association board leadership, and the Marianists have also expressed their support for this decision.

In our discussions on campus this past year, we heard from many of you that the trip is enjoyed as an extension of the student neighborhood experience. However, as we evaluated all factors of the Dayton to Daytona experience, we concluded:

- The trip dose not advance the University's Catholic, Marianist education mission.
- Dayton to Daytona activities pose inherent safety risks and could have a negative impact on the value of your UD degree and our University's reputation.
- The resources devoted to the trip could be used to support programs, initiatives, and services regarded as fundamental to a student's learning and living environment and future career.

We recognize that many alumni have fond memories of Dayton to Daytona, and we do want to preserve the senior recognition element of the trip. Therefore, we have asked SGA leadership to work with Alumni Relations and Student Development to create a meaningful on-campus experience, such as a senior send-off, that can become a new tradition over time. We also recognize that not every graduation senior wishes to or is able to participate in Dayton to Daytona, and it is our hope that a new on-campus tradition can be more inclusive and reflective of the entire UD student experience and the Marianist charism.

We are writing now, during the summer break, to share this decision so that you can begin your spring break or post-graduation planning. We hope your summer break provides you with the best possible experience, whether that's learning, traveling, working, or relaxing. We look forward to welcoming you back on campus in the fall.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanked 7,036 Times in 2,993 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't disagree with an official separation for obvious reasons...as I think any professional university probably shouldn't be sponsoring a trip as such...with that said...

Takes on group of students to do the same thing with probably more benefit. Not once did I have a spring break trip sponsored by my university, and **** near everyone made it to Panama City.

Decision should be about the university being associated with the debauchery that goes on....not some BS argument regarding inclusion. WTF ever.

Last edited by shocka43; 07-10-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Major

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
. . . a new on-campus tradition can be more inclusive . . .
I am officially "triggered"
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
I am officially "triggered"
Old 07-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,168 Times in 935 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

Irrational screaming begins in 3...2...1....
Old 07-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Thanked 4,414 Times in 1,963 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Spina has made many bad decisions. He finally made a good one. It will probably trigger a few snowflakes but definitely a good decision.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-10-2018), Chris R (07-10-2018), rollo (07-10-2018), TA111 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanked 11,341 Times in 3,372 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
There was never a need for UD to be involved to begin with. You are an adult in college. If you need your guidance counselor to organize and orchestrate your leisure time, you seriously need to rethink whether college is for you.

Spina's announcement stops no one from going anywhere and doing anything they want. Open up your widdy biddy web browser, type in a destination, pull out your cwedit card, make a weservation, and take comfort in knowing you were a big boy or girl and went potty all by yourself.

Personally, I cant even fathom vacationing in Daytona. Its a sewer dump. Its right up there with vacationing in Flint Michigan. Id be ashamed to say I spent my own money to go there but thats me. And its been that way since forever -- certainly when I was in school. Nobody goes there unless theyve literally never been anywhere to know any different.

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (07-11-2018), shocka43 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,925 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Personally, I cant even fathom vacationing in Daytona. Its a sewer dump. Its right up there with vacationing in Flint Michigan. Id be ashamed to say I spent my own money to go there but thats me. And its been that way since forever -- certainly when I was in school. Nobody goes there unless theyve literally never been anywhere to know any different.
Agree 100%, but we knew no better a decade ago.

Spent two nights in a condo 3 blocks north of the main fishing pier. as we were passing through Daytona on a family vacation and visiting friends who lived just south of the area. Condo was ok, beach not even that bad where we were at. The streets out front of the condo was littered with broken bottles, thousands of cigarette butts, several hypodermic needles, and other trash. This was in early June, long after the spring break crowd had left and during one of the quiet times by Daytona standards. Similar experience when we stopped at a shopping center to grab a few things on our way out of town. You could not pay me to go back.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanked 5,738 Times in 3,267 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Its all about liability. Nuff said.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (07-17-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,473 Times in 711 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Leave it to the Dayton Daily Rag to put their own spin on the decision. Highlighting the negative (the untimely death of a student in '07 from NATURAL CAUSES (enlarged heart) unrelated to anything associated with the trip) and glossing over any positives (such as: what having 2000 kids in Daytona during a non-spring break period does for the local economy.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...LRTJQ1F87QS4O/

Last edited by Radar; 07-11-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Brigadier General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
There was never a need for UD to be involved to begin with. You are an adult in college. If you need your guidance counselor to organize and orchestrate your leisure time, you seriously need to rethink whether college is for you.

Spina's announcement stops no one from going anywhere and doing anything they want. Open up your widdy biddy web browser, type in a destination, pull out your cwedit card, make a weservation, and take comfort in knowing you were a big boy or girl and went potty all by yourself.

Sooo...does this mean you HAVE been there? On a D2D trip? And from that you've formed your opinion? I don't disagree that there are better destinations. I went as a student in the 80's and had two kids go within the past 6 years. To me back then, and to them recently, it's not as much about the destination as it is for a chance to have "one last farewell" with their classmates and housemates, in a warm destination, in a city that happens to embrace the D2D theme. And it is far better organized now vs the bygone years. As others have stated, the trip can go on w/out UD's formal association...and it probably will.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (07-11-2018), Flyer14 (07-11-2018), zmz723 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,578 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Funny story: When the Swampettes were little we drove over to Daytona from Orlando and they were both slightly terrified by the drunken college students who had overrun the city for Spring Break.

Years later, the Elder Swampette attended UD and participated in D2D and had a great time.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (07-17-2018), jack72 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Sooo...does this mean you HAVE been there? On a D2D trip? And from that you've formed your opinion? I don't disagree that there are better destinations. I went as a student in the 80's and had two kids go within the past 6 years. To me back then, and to them recently, it's not as much about the destination as it is for a chance to have "one last farewell" with their classmates and housemates, in a warm destination, in a city that happens to embrace the D2D theme. And it is far better organized now vs the bygone years. As others have stated, the trip can go on w/out UD's formal association...and it probably will.
Yeah...sounds like Chris R never went on the D2D trip. Still one of the best weeks of my life.

I did go back a couple years after graduation for 4 days...it certainly is a depressing place if there aren't 3000 other UD students there.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (07-16-2018), Flyer14 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the rough
The crotchety old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn vibe has gotten ridiculous on this board. Talking about "triggered snowflakes" and mocking students for being upset over the end of a 40 year old tradition because hurr dee durr they're millennials is honestly getting very old very quickly.

The reality is that Spina is treating UD like it's his university, not like he's the steward of it. UD is ours. It belongs to the students and the alumni and those who have grown up loving it. Between canceling D2D, scheduling St Patrick's day out of existence, and now planting trees in the large open larges in the ghetto so that students can no longer have parties (god forbid college students should have parties) it has become clear that his agenda is not to maintain what UD is. I went to UD because I knew it would be a great education and I would have a good time. Those items are not mutually exclusive. Nobody is debating that SPD got out of hand this year, but to fundamentally change the culture of an institution that has been excelling in essentially every aspect over the past decade or two within your first year of presidency is short-sighted.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Thanked 11,432 Times in 5,122 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You can't expand your image by lowering your standards.

The students will continue to party at Daytona, they just can't use UD's name to do it. Seems royally reasonable to me.
ud69 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Yeah...sounds like Chris R never went on the D2D trip. Still one of the best weeks of my life.

I did go back a couple years after graduation for 4 days...it certainly is a depressing place if there aren't 3000 other UD students there.
No different than attending _avier.

Who would go if not for your friends/fellow students?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Flyer14 View Post
The crotchety old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn vibe has gotten ridiculous on this board. Talking about "triggered snowflakes" and mocking students for being upset over the end of a 40 year old tradition because hurr dee durr they're millennials is honestly getting very old very quickly.
What part did you miss about the tradition continuing, just not with university resources or staff? Nowhere is D2D cancelled...simply that UD isn't going to donate staff, personnel, or resources to it. Sounds like someone read the DDN headlines and not the actual content.

If the "future" of this country can't get with a travel company to do the exact thing as in the past, then I feel sorry for where we are headed.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Major

Some students started a change.org petition to have Spina removed over this and St. Patrick's Day.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanked 5,738 Times in 3,267 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Some students started a change.org petition to have Spina removed over this and St. Patrick's Day.
Those snowflakes need to get a life.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
What part did you miss about the tradition continuing, just not with university resources or staff? Nowhere is D2D cancelled...simply that UD isn't going to donate staff, personnel, or resources to it. Sounds like someone read the DDN headlines and not the actual content.

If the "future" of this country can't get with a travel company to do the exact thing as in the past, then I feel sorry for where we are headed.
Is that all it takes? Students have already been doing the planning with the travel companies. The issue with D2D going forward is going to be in how the university allows them to promote it. Future classes who haven't had the same exposure to D2D aren't going to have the same attachment and enthusiasm to keep the tradition alive. The tradition is only continuing to it's slow death at this point.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,426 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I am really not a cranky get off my lawn old man. I lament the changes in UD since I went there but not sure what can be done about it. UD is attracting a more affluent student body than when I went. At the cost of tuition, what else can be expected? Probably the same everywhere.

In my freshman year, we had a party with 3 kegs of Schlitz Malt Liquor on Stuart 6N. The bull tore through everything. It was mess. There were 0 disciplinary actions. Imagine that today? Did we enjoy it -heck yeah. Do I understand why this is no longer acceptable - yes?

I went to Daytona after both junior (79) and senior(80) school years. I also went to Ft. Lauderdale during spring break in 78. None of those trips relied on the organization of any party other than the party of partyers I traveled with. No school administration. No travel agent. I could go on a rant now about how the current generation can't organize anything on their own. Neighborhood kids can't have a street kickball game without adult supervision.

UD has been around for what - 170 years? Dayton to Daytona has been around for like 40. It didn't start out as this super organized trip. Some kids went on a bus with hotels reserved for them. A bunch of others got in their cars and drove down there and made their own lodging arrangements.

You want to have some fun in Daytona after the school year? Get your friends lined up. Reserve some hotel rooms. Get in your car and drive to Daytona. Drink a lot. Go home.

Now get off my lawn you punks.
shocka43 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanked 4,414 Times in 1,963 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute

These snowflakes are triggered because Spina is telling them the university will not support them getting drunk and being disorderly? God help us if this is the type of students my university is turning out.

I would be more impressed if these snowflakes could show up and cheer at a basketball game.

Last edited by ud69; 07-17-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-17-2018)