UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who played the worst vs GMU?
Crutcher 21 37.50%
JDavis 14 25.00%
Cunningham 0 0%
Landers 2 3.57%
Mikesell 1 1.79%
Coach Grant 18 32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
UnGolden Cold as Ice Award - GMU

I'm speechless. Just vote.
ruechalgrin (01-23-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto...me too. And that's saying something!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I’m rooting for Grant, I really am, but I have no idea why he couldn’t get his guards to get the ball inside. We had several clean give-and-go’s where the bigs weren’t rewarded with that second pass. We hardly ever tried passing over the top despite our size advantage. It was baffling. That said, our guards killed us with their inept shooting. Mason was able to pack it in and watch us miss over and over again, many coming on wide-open looks. So, I gotta go Grant AND Crutcher. Awful as Jordan was, you can’t have your point guard shooting blanks while turning the ball over four times.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (01-23-2019), shocka43 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Crutcher. He cannot guard anyone. Repeatedly gets blown by hanging everyone else out to dry. And again settles for so many ill timed 3s instead of actually facilitating the offense like a point guard should. We are down 2 pointS take the ball to the RIM. He really needs to get away from this score first mentality and generalized laziness on both sides of the ball. Davis the runner up for just being ice cold. His defense wasn’t special either but atleast he looks like he’s trying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Major

ohioflyer is a name known to allohioflyer is a name known to allohioflyer is a name known to allohioflyer is a name known to allohioflyer is a name known to allohioflyer is a name known to all
Mark me down for
All of the above!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Uff. Pass. Perhaps grant. Another game where we can’t score in the last three minutes

Need plan B.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Grant, Grant and Grant

I am a firm believer that as long as the guy has a pulse and is not a complete defensive liability, never take the hot shooting hand out of the game, or in the case tonight even the luke warm shooter stays in.

Early on, Cunningham with 9 points, and first to the bench.
Few minutes later, Mikesell who had 6 points and was playing quite well, to the bench.
Icing on the cake, Cohill hits two threes, and soon there after gets a breather that cools off his hot hand.

Did I miss major defensive breakdowns with any of these three right before they got their breathers? I know fouls were not an issue and considering it was the first half with all three, could not be fatigue either.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Grant, Grant, Grant.

(1) 27/54 shots from 3. I don't care if Mason is packing it in, you do not settle for 3s.

(2) Last sequence there should be no option to shoot a 3. You tell the team that you will not accept a 3 as a shot -- go to the hoop, go to the hoop. If Mikesell had that guidance, he goes through the defenders left shoulder and gets a foul (they had been calling weak blocks all night, they were consistent). In no way shape or form, do you take a 3 there.

(3) The slow tempo continues to be a coaching problem. Dayton is best in transition basketball. Dayton is a better team than George Mason so you want more possessions, the more possessions the more likely you are to win. Shortening the game plays to Mason.

I still believe in AG.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2019), Flyer 86 (01-23-2019), Larymike (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I like Grant as our coach, but this one was on him, for reasons others have cited. Ill-timed substitutions. A failure to get the guys to force the ball into the paint. Not enough plays to get guys decent looks inside the arc. For awhile, I thought BG circa 2007 was back on the bench, with all the pointless “weave” offense I was watching. Yep. IMHO, this one’s on him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Shocker UD loses it's all Coach Grant's fault... UD Wins, silence....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-23-2019), Figgie123 (01-23-2019), Radar (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Yep, I am guilty tonight.

Pretty sure this is the first game I have felt this way. Still very optimistic for the future with AG, our incoming recruits, future recruits, etc. UD hired the best man for the job.

Name one coach in history who has not lost a few games for his team. Yep, you can not.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for Crutcher because Grant is not out there on the floor and I am not going to second guess his instructions. He may be telling the guards not to settle for threes and they shoot them anyways! Did he miss the the free throws that Cunningham and Toppin did that probably would have won the game for us? In short the players think that hustle is like turning on a light switch and it is not that simple. It starts with the first tip of the game!

The only thing that may be saving grace is that there is so much parity in the A-10 this season that we still may have time to right the ship.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
It’s not all his fault. Far from it. But tonight, he gets the goat horns by not finding a way to get his team to maximize its offensive strength (inside play) and minimize its offensive weakness (outside shooting).

The front court shot 75% from the field (18/24), with none of the 4 below 60% (Trey was “worst” at 3/5), yet we lost because our starting guards couldn’t hit the ocean from the beach...yet they kept shooting. And it must have been OK with AG, because they just kept shooting...and missing. And Cohill (the only perimeter player who shot well tonight, at 2/3) only played 16 minutes. So, yeah, tonight he wears the horns.

And back on the subject of the outside shooting. In retrospect, it reminds me of the climax of the golf movie “Tin Cup”, where Kevin Costner’s character keeps trying (and failing) to hit a ball over a pond and onto the green. At one point, the guy directing the TV coverage in the booth says something like, “Somebody tell this clown he doesn’t have to hit it from there!” Tonight, I felt like screaming “Somebody tell these guys they don’t need to shoot it from there!”
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:09 PM
1st Lieutenant

Bigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of light
Toppin’s TO and missed front end of 1 and 1 with under 2 to play gets my vote
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Grant, Grant, Grant.

(1) 27/54 shots from 3. I don't care if Mason is packing it in, you do not settle for 3s.

(2) Last sequence there should be no option to shoot a 3. You tell the team that you will not accept a 3 as a shot -- go to the hoop, go to the hoop. If Mikesell had that guidance, he goes through the defenders left shoulder and gets a foul (they had been calling weak blocks all night, they were consistent). In no way shape or form, do you take a 3 there.

(3) The slow tempo continues to be a coaching problem. Dayton is best in transition basketball. Dayton is a better team than George Mason so you want more possessions, the more possessions the more likely you are to win. Shortening the game plays to Mason.

I still believe in AG.
Tempo is way too slow under Grant.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:16 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
9 free throws attempted seems way too low
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Crutcher. Our point guard leader lead us to another loss. He play better against the tomato cans, but struggles versus better competition. No d. Too much dribbling. Couldn’t get to the line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
63 points scored seems way to low!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Grant can't execute for his guys and has a short bench. With that said...hot hands on the bench with no defensive errors. No called timeouts to rip a guys ass after jacking up ill advised threes.

If guys aren't executing, the plan can and has to change. That isn't up to the players. If we are shooting poor, run sets going at the rim. Shooting poor? Press. Shooting poor? Post touches. When things were failing, we maintained status quo. We shot 9 free throws because we settled for perimeter looks. If anyone is paying attention, that will be the game plan by opposing defenses for the remainder of the season.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm speechless.
After 7 hrs of sleep and 3 cups of coffee, I'm still speechless.
flyerfanatic86 (01-24-2019), NJFlyr71 (01-24-2019), Radar (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
After 7 hrs of sleep and 3 cups of coffee, I'm still speechless.
Switch to alcohol then report back!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-24-2019), NJFlyr71 (01-24-2019), rollo (01-24-2019), superfan99 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Did AG put the team in a position to win?
Did he adjust to the circumstances of the game?
Has he made adjustments to mitigate the teams weaknesses as the season progressed?
Is there evidence the players are developing?

Answer these before you blame or defend.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
To me sounded like GM defense shut down all our scorers. They seemed to be well prepare to deny Crutcher anything.

So I am hesitant to consider anyone player (or coach). Once again and it is getting very old, they don't execute well in close games down the stretch. Missed shots, ball goes down comes back up, bad passes, can't make a lay-up.

Heard it during more games this season then I care to ...
Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
To me sounded like GM defense shut down all our scorers. They seemed to be well prepare to deny Crutcher anything.

So I am hesitant to consider anyone player (or coach). Once again and it is getting very old, they don't execute well in close games down the stretch. Missed shots, ball goes down comes back up, bad passes, can't make a lay-up.
Which is exactly why Grant earned my vote. Substitutions handled better, hot shooters stay on the floor at the time, we may have had a 13 point lead instead of 3 point lead with two minutes to go.

This year ain't over, next year will be considerably better, and I still believe we hired the best guy for the job!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Grant cannot shoot the ball for our players. Davis and Crutcher make a few more shots and Grant is a genius. However, our execution at crunch time is terrible. We did nothing in the last three minutes. Part of that is coaching by teaching structure, confidence and tightly run plays. I vote for the trio of Crutcher, Davis and Grant as they all failed.

Heck the team failed. Landers with another so so game, Obi with that bad pass to Crutcher at crunch time, Cunningham with his non-free throw shooting, especially the one and one. Mikesell with the lack of hustle on Obi's bad pass and subsequent putback.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019), superfan99 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
All of the above applies to last night. And AG would agree with you. For those locals who have a chance to listen to Flyer Feedback, last night Keith W articulated perfectly what he witnessed, what we all witnessed, and per usual pulled no punches. There are no excuses: not the travel from Olean, not the short bench, nothing. As others have noted, Keith smelled trouble toward the end of the first half, and it played out that way. The beginning of the game came way too easy for us, but that was because neither team was playing defense. But our intensity decreased while GMU's increased.

This coming from someone who has access to practices, pre game prep, etc. Don't know if they podcast those shows, but they should.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-24-2019), jack72 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Did AG put the team in a position to win?
Did he adjust to the circumstances of the game?
Has he made adjustments to mitigate the teams weaknesses as the season progressed?
Is there evidence the players are developing?

Answer these before you blame or defend.
This. The team is not looking better from week to week. We continue to see puzzling decisions from the bench. And rather than discussing issues with the team, some want to thump their chests over close wins over BAD teams like George Washington.

I'm as happy as anybody that we came back against GW and I've been to plenty of GW heartbreakers home and away, but if we want to be the team that we think we should be in the A10, we shouldn't need a huge comeback against them. We should be pulling away from lesser competition and winning at least some of these close games against quality competition.