Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Odrab14 View Post
So what would people say if during the Gonzaga game or the win streak we saw him say "I know exactly what I'm doing"
People do realize the 6 game winning streak was against the worst teams in the conference and we struggled in a good portion of them?

This team lacks talent, especially in the post, and lacks leadership in the head coach and seniors.

One game watch when Archie talks to the players as they come off, not one could give a **** what he says.

Last edited by BallgameJohnny; 02-28-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
I wonder if Gonzaga, Cal, Baylor, Ole Mis, Georga Tech, etc would agree with that. For a coach who has yet to do that it is interesting that UD has been and with 2 of the next 3 would be in the bubble talk. Granted he hasn't set the world on fire but "something that Archie has yet to do" is a bit of a stretch.

Next 3 games define everything from coaches to the players as a team and individually. Loose all 3 and its a bust, win all 3 and we hit 10 for the first time in 9 years. Most likely its somewhere inbetween; either 9-7 or 8-8 again. Where were JOB, OP and BG in year three?
Why are we comparing him to 2 terrible coaches and 1 so so coach?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dnutz77 View Post
JimBo, I agree that individual games do not make a season. Why, then, does everyone go ape**** after UD loses a game?
Ok, why are you picking on me?

I'll say it again, it's how they lose, not that they lose. A golden opportunity for a quality win and they played like they didn't want to be there. I see more effort in my 5 year old niece's youth basketball league.

As for the NCAA, I agree 100% that it's all about MAKING THE DANCE. Archie has yet to do that, but he is only 2+ years in. Would you say that he's had the type of talent that JoB had in his first year?? Certainly not in Year 1 or Year 2.
He had a pretty solid roster his first season. One of the best PG's in the country with along with a player like Chris Johnson. I think more could have been accomplished. Comparing it to JOB's? Different times.

I trust my eyes, if Archie's teams showed progress, development, and improvement during seasons I would be more in his camp. I haven't seen any of that during his first three seasons. I worry that next years team will be even worse. He has no marquee players to build around. I like Pierre and Smith, but I don't see either of them being impact players. If he can get his players to buy more into what he's trying to do, I could be more optimistic. I think they are tuning him out at this point.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
You know a season is in the toilet when we go back beyond BG, beyond OP, and we land on JOB.

Wow, what a comparison! When things get that rough, it's about time for me to rule the season a lost cause.

Ladies and gents, next year ain't lookin' good either!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Making the Dance is all that any of us care about...but for the first time in my recollection the 2014 NCAA Tournament is going to have up to a dozen teams invited whose play could be classified as anything but impressive.

Before ripping me on this comment, please hold off until after Selection Sunday when we can count the number of teams invited who have >10 losses, because I'll be you a hot fudge sundae that this year we'll see a record of such invites.

I still hope UD gets one of them because NCAA bids will do nothing but help Archie recruit bigger and better athletes, but if they do get that invite we'll witness the softest celebration in UD history...because all of us know we didn't earn it.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Making the Dance is all that any of us care about...but for the first time in my recollection the 2014 NCAA Tournament is going to have up to a dozen teams invited whose play could be classified as anything but impressive.

Before ripping me on this comment, please hold off until after Selection Sunday when we can count the number of teams invited who have >10 losses, because I'll be you a hot fudge sundae that this year we'll see a record of such invites.

I still hope UD gets one of them because NCAA bids will do nothing but help Archie recruit bigger and better athletes, but if they do get that invite we'll witness the softest celebration in UD history...because all of us know we didn't earn it.
Disagree with the last part Rollo. To make the NCAAs at this point, the team is going to have to go out and play better than they have played all year - including Maui. If they do that, they earned it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sticks 'n Stearns (02-28-2014), ud2 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I see rollo is now hedging his bets. He has to find something negative to say about everything. He apparently is afraid we might actually make the NCAA Tournament, so he has to get out in front of it and say even if we do make it, we haven't earned it. Typical. There are 68 teams in the dance. If we are one of those 68 teams, we earned it.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-01-2014), Glen Clark (02-28-2014), ud2 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why any talk of expanding the tournament should be struck down and buried forever. The first week of March Madness is the greatest week in sports, rewarding mediocrity will only diminish it.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
by the year 2030, NCAA bids will be passed out like participation ribbons in community youth soccer leagues
Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Which is why any talk of expanding the tournament should be struck down and buried forever. The first week of March Madness is the greatest week in sports, rewarding mediocrity will only diminish it.
I could see having only two games at each First Four site and having four sites (instead of two), one in each region. That would add just four teams and limit travel for the First Four teams. It appears that in 2016 they are going to have two sites anyway to limit travel.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I see rollo is now hedging his bets. He has to find something negative to say about everything. He apparently is afraid we might actually make the NCAA Tournament, so he has to get out in front of it and say even if we do make it, we haven't earned it. Typical. There are 68 teams in the dance. If we are one of those 68 teams, we earned it.
I've got to side with Rollo on this one. If you can honestly say that UD is an NCAA caliber team, you are 1) watching a different Flyers team than I am, or 2) watching a different set of other teams than I am.

We are consistently inconsistent, and the consistency we have is usually bad (such as playing from behind the 2nd half, or putting up high turnover numbers). We have no leader, we have no defense, we don't understand a press well enough to play with or against one, and the top teams in the A-10 (which will likely still not run that deep in the tourney) have beat us soundly.

If we do make it, what grounds is there for celebration? This is, IMHO, another mediocre season - AT BEST. The only thing we've earned is one of the little participation trophies we all got in elementary school.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
If we do make it, what grounds is there for celebration? This is, IMHO, another mediocre season - AT BEST. The only thing we've earned is one of the little participation trophies we all got in elementary school.
Your first sentence is rather silly. Making the dance is cause for celebration, period. If we do make it we will have beaten UMass, Richmond, and at least one good team (and one mediocre team) in the A-10 Tournament. You are now calling 23-11 mediocre?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-01-2014), ud2 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
*remember that the play-in games are considered the first-round

Should our Flyers be fortunate enough to back into a 12-seed, I'd be thrilled and encouraged and confident that a 2nd round* win would be possible. Why/ Because there are only about 6-8 teams out there with the talent, depth, size and coaching to win the Tournament. Everyone else has serious holes in their games.

UD (12) vs tOSU (5). Just like last night, if you catch the Buckeyes on a poor shooting night - of which they've had many - and get them in foul trouble and force Matta to use his bench, they are very beatable.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
1st Lieutenant

Mrossi will become famous soon enoughMrossi will become famous soon enough
In my previous post I mixed up the year 2005 and 2009.

My main point is we've only won 10 games in the A10 only once since 2005. This is not acceptable period.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Colonel

Your first sentence is rather silly. Making the dance is cause for celebration, period. If we do make it we will have beaten UMass, Richmond, and at least one good team (and one mediocre team) in the A-10 Tournament. You are now calling 23-11 mediocre?
We'll talk when we reach 23-11. I've learned to go day by day as a Flyers, Reds and Bengals fan. Today, I can confidently say I've spent a lot of time the last several months watching a mediocre team.

The Bengals have been making the playoffs, barely, much like if we make the Dance. And yes, I still consider them a mediocre team.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM

We'll talk when we reach 23-11. I've learned to go day by day as a Flyers, Reds and Bengals fan. Today, I can confidently say I've spent a lot of time the last several months watching a mediocre team.

The Bengals have been making the playoffs, barely, much like if we make the Dance. And yes, I still consider them a mediocre team.
I didn't say we would reach 23-11. I just think if we do, and make the dance, it would be pretty tough to call it a mediocre season. We would have started 12-3 and finished 10-3.

Last edited by longtimefan; 02-28-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM

23-11 would be great if it included a 13-3 A10 record.

23-11 would be underwhelming if it included an 8-8 or 9-7 record and 6th or 7th place finish in the A10.

Details...it all comes down to details.
JimBo (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I've got to side with Rollo on this one. If you can honestly say that UD is an NCAA caliber team, you are 1) watching a different Flyers team than I am, or 2) watching a different set of other teams than I am.

We are consistently inconsistent, and the consistency we have is usually bad (such as playing from behind the 2nd half, or putting up high turnover numbers). We have no leader, we have no defense, we don't understand a press well enough to play with or against one, and the top teams in the A-10 (which will likely still not run that deep in the tourney) have beat us soundly.

When the NCAA added 3 more teams, they changes the definition of NCAA caliber team. There should be no b*tching and moaning from the teams that just missed. The teams that just made it should be smirking like they got away with something.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I bet St. Joseph's would. With all of the uncontested layups and three pointers they got, it was probably their easiest game since their exhibition against a DIII team.

Individual games do not make a season. NCAA tournament appearances do, and Archie has yet to do that, going back to my original point regarding JOB.
Okay you got one and I got more which makes your point weak. Those teams would have a field day with St. Joes.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really surprised at some of the recent posts in this thread...if UD makes the dance then UD is mediocre and didn't earn it???...A10 road wins are junk???

Geesh, some of you need to put down the bottle.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
dnutz77 (03-01-2014), Glen Clark (03-01-2014), longtimefan (03-01-2014), UD Sam (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute

So what this tells me is that IF UD makes the tournament, it will not be due to the fact that they beat enough good teams over the course of a 30+ game season? Now, making the tournament isn't the standard that UD fans want to judge the success of a coach/team by and instead of just finding a way to win (doesn't matter how you do it), a team (UD) is required to look REALLY, REALLY good doing it? Now there is an eye test requirement as well?

I'm confused. What are we talking about, PRACTICE? Sounds to me like some folks are preparing to **** on the parade if (and that's a big IF) UD is able to EARN its way into the Dance.

Sometimes I wonder if the reality is that some people just aren't happy unless they have SOMETHING to complain about.

Just win.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-01-2014), keats '91 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Now, making the tournament isn't the standard that UD fans want to judge the success of a coach/team by and instead of just finding a way to win (doesn't matter how you do it), a team (UD) is required to look REALLY, REALLY good doing it? Now there is an eye test requirement as well?
I'd be shocked if anyone on UDPride was quietly hoping this team would fail to make the NCAA...I'm outspoken with my opinions on Archie but the program is bigger than him and anything less than an NCAA bid, to me, is unacceptable. Which is why I'm so outspoken.

This season has had too many highs and lows and that's part of the problem. The fact - yes, it's a fact - that we're on the bubble is amazing and astounding considering how horrible we've looked in well over half our games.

Not the we have a long and storied history of NCAA tournament worthy team, but if you were to list the last 5 UD teams to make the NCAA's, the 2013-14 team would by far be the worst...which isn't a bad thing it's just a comparison thing.

Not all wins are equal...nor are all NCAA bids equal. Not all National Leage MVPs are equal. This years NBA dunk contest winners were by far the worst ever...but they are still winners...but only on a relative scale.

Al Gore received a Nobel Prize but nobody is going to put him in the same category as Mother Teresa, who - unlike Al - earned one.

So I'm hoping and praying for a strong run to end this season and will be reservedly excited should we receive an at-large bid. But I say 'reservedly' because this team hasn't shown me the potential nor brought the excitement that has been attached to the '84 Elite 8 team, or BG's team that beat WVa...I'll even go as far to say that our NIT Championship team would beat/crush this season's team 10 out of 10 times...

If we don't win today, none of this matters.

So, Go Flyers!

Last edited by rollo; 03-01-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the wins losses during the season goal number 1 is to make the ncaa tournament. So, I don't care if we are the last team in I consider it significant. Making the tournament is a step in the right direction and helps archie validate what they are doing. There is plenty of room for improvement of course.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-01-2014), rollo (03-01-2014), ud2 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Captain

426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FlyerGeorge View Post
Midway through the second half of last night's game the camera cuts to Archie. And clear as day you can see him mouthing, "I don't know what to do" to an assistant.

Really, for me, that was it. I've tried to get behind Archie but we've seen nothing except the same 8-8 mediocrity in league play for years, and he inspires no confidence. And that was the last straw for me, I don't want him around any more.

We ran into a buzz saw yesterday. But a head coach needs to have and instill confidence. Players who know that their coach has no idea what to do when they're down are not going to listen.

This is a team that won 6 straight, sure, but BARELY. We easily could've been 3-3 in that stretch except for a bit of luck. We beat Mason handily - but it was Mason.

"I don't know what to do" coming out of a head coach's mouth on national TV??

Unacceptable.

Think whatever you want about Archie. I don't disagree with much of this. But to take one lip-read quote and use that as some kind of validation of your whole "I'm done with Archie" attitude is about as immature and short sighted as you can get. Coaches say a lot of stuff during games. We were getting KILLED. That comment could come from a number of places...such as "I don't know what to do because guys aren't following the assignments" or "I don't know what to do to make these guys stop shooting bricks". Don't act like you know the context unless you're down there on the floor.

And before you round up the lynch mob, give him a year or two with his own guys. We have a winning A10 record right now. Think about that for a sec.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 426 Kiefaber For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-01-2014), FLYER5 (03-01-2014), Glen Clark (03-06-2014), ud2 (03-04-2014), UD62 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I could see having only two games at each First Four site and having four sites (instead of two), one in each region. That would add just four teams and limit travel for the First Four teams. It appears that in 2016 they are going to have two sites anyway to limit travel.
Sorry to bump this thread up, but I didn't understand this post. How many teams are you referring to in future tournaments? 72? 2 games at each first four site with 4 first four sites? Wouldn't that mean 80 teams?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 AM

23-11 would be great if it included a 13-3 A10 record.

23-11 would be underwhelming if it included an 8-8 or 9-7 record and 6th or 7th place finish in the A10.

Details...it all comes down to details.
See, this doesn't make sense to me. 13-3 in the a10 with an overall record of 23-11 means around 8-7(assuming 2-1 in the a10 tournament)in the OOC part of the schedule. What is so great about 8-7 during the OOC part of the schedule? It's a wash, 23-11 is 23-11 no matter how you get there since UD's SOS is very similar every year.

Last edited by ud2; 03-04-2014 at 12:48 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Did you see my post yesterday that broke down the at-large bids by Conference finish? Not many 5th, 6th or 7th place teams make the tournament.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Regardless of the wins losses during the season goal number 1 is to make the ncaa tournament. So, I don't care if we are the last team in I consider it significant. Making the tournament is a step in the right direction and helps archie validate what they are doing. There is plenty of room for improvement of course.
Everyone on this board follows this program closely and has a passion for Flyer basketball. If we finish the season strong and make the tournament that’s a great start in taking this program to where we should be.

Unfortunately, I’m sick of seeing schools like Wichita St, SMU, San Diego St, Butler, & VCU come out of nowhere, have success, and build a program that is recognized on a national level. I’m envious of the fact that these programs have the success that we should be enjoying.

My frustration only grows when watching a nationally televised games. In almost every instance, the UD story line talks about the tradition, loyal fan base of the program, and how wonderful the UD program is.

It’s simple; our minimum expectation should be to make the NCAA tournament every year. More importantly, the announcers on ESPN should be talking about not just about our great fan base but also about the recent deep runs we have made in the tournament or the unbelievable recruiting class we have coming in the door next season.

Hopefully, we close the deal this season, make the tournament and start the trend in this direction!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2014), jack72 (03-04-2014), Radar (03-04-2014), rollo (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Sorry to bump this thread up, but I didn't understand this post. How many teams are you referring to in future tournaments? 72? 2 games at each first four site with 4 first four sites? Wouldn't that mean 80 teams?
It would be 72. 56 teams would be placed in the "regular" bracket with 16 teams in the First Four games (72). The 8 winners of the First Four games would then be placed in the bracket to make 64. Now we have 60 teams in the "regular" bracket and 8 teams in the First Four (68). The 4 winners are then placed in the bracket to make 64.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
Everyone on this board follows this program closely and has a passion for Flyer basketball. If we finish the season strong and make the tournament that’s a great start in taking this program to where we should be.

Unfortunately, I’m sick of seeing schools like Wichita St, SMU, San Diego St, Butler, & VCU come out of nowhere, have success, and build a program that is recognized on a national level. I’m envious of the fact that these programs have the success that we should be enjoying.

My frustration only grows when watching a nationally televised games. In almost every instance, the UD story line talks about the tradition, loyal fan base of the program, and how wonderful the UD program is.

It’s simple; our minimum expectation should be to make the NCAA tournament every year. More importantly, the announcers on ESPN should be talking about not just about our great fan base but also about the recent deep runs we have made in the tournament or the unbelievable recruiting class we have coming in the door next season.

Hopefully, we close the deal this season, make the tournament and start the trend in this direction!
I believe that a big reason why many of the schools you allude to have achieved that success is because they were able to/chose to take a path that I believe would not have been acceptable for UD. They built their programs by being the big fish in a little pond. Even when we first joined the MCC we couldn't get out fast enough when the great midwest (and schools we thought of as peers) opportunity came up. And as soon as the idea of the BE break up happened there was and is a very large perceived desire to be a part of that. No way our program and fan base would have been content staying in a lower rated conference and building our program by trying to be the auto bid from that conference. I'm not saying that path is wrong, I just do not believe we as a program have ever shown the desire and longer term view to take that kind of route.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Ironically, I think I saw Archie say "I don't know what to do" during the UMass game. During a time out, he was addressing one of the officials. I believe he said "I don't know what to do" and then motioned to one end of the floor and then to the other end of the floor. It may have been in reference to Vee getting clubbed as he penetrated on one end with no call and Chaz drawing a phantom foul on the other end. I have to sympathize. Considering the inconsistency of officiating, if a player asked me to show them the difference between a foul and a no call, I would also say "I don't know what to do."
ESPN poses the question of why coaches are coming unhinged. I thin the answer is as simple as watching some game films.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-04-2014), keats '91 (03-04-2014), Tony T 71 (03-06-2014), UD Sam (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AC91 View Post
I believe that a big reason why many of the schools you allude to have achieved that success is because they were able to/chose to take a path that I believe would not have been acceptable for UD. They built their programs by being the big fish in a little pond. Even when we first joined the MCC we couldn't get out fast enough when the great midwest (and schools we thought of as peers) opportunity came up. And as soon as the idea of the BE break up happened there was and is a very large perceived desire to be a part of that. No way our program and fan base would have been content staying in a lower rated conference and building our program by trying to be the auto bid from that conference. I'm not saying that path is wrong, I just do not believe we as a program have ever shown the desire and longer term view to take that kind of route.
HMMMM I'm note sure the path makes the difference. I think it has more to do perhaps coaching ie Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Larry Brown, & Steve Fischer.

If you go back to the thread, I think a lot coaches are having difficulty to today's players. This came from Steve Kerr.

“Even if today’s players are incredibly gifted, they grow up in a basketball environment that can only be called counterproductive. AAU basketball has replaced high school ball as the dominant form of development in the teen years. I coached my son’s AAU team for three years; it’s a genuinely weird subculture. Like everywhere else, you have good coaches and bad coaches, or strong programs and weak ones, but what troubled me was how much winning is devalued in the AAU structure. Teams play game after game after game, sometimes winning or losing four times in one day. Very rarely do teams ever hold a practice. Some programs fly in top players from out of state for a single weekend to join their team. Certain players play for one team in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If mom and dad aren’t happy with their son’s playing time, they switch club teams and stick him on a different one the following week. The process of growing as a team basketball player -- learning how to become part of a whole, how to fit into something bigger than oneself -- becomes completely lost within the AAU fabric.”

I think Archie is learning as he goes. I hope he can overcome some of the obstacles that made this team inconsistent and are the source of the frustration we see on the court. There's talent in Sibert, Smith, Pierre and Robinson. Even if we don't make the tournament, this core is a solid group of athletic versatile players.
Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (03-04-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
As far as your last comment, is there anything you have seen from this team during conference play that would suggest they are capable of that? The 1989-90 finished the season on a 10 game winning streak. This team just whimpered into the biggest game of the season and got their clock cleaned. Just don't see it.
Um JimBo, they have done it with one game to spare in the regular season.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Yes - looks like Arch figured out what to do.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-06-2014), T-Bone 84 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
I gotta say, Archie had a great game plan tonight. He rotated nearly the entire roster all game and wore down SLU with our depth. We've now won 8 of our last 9 games while several other teams are wearing down. We almost blew it with that milk the clock crap late (haha), but so proud of the team, coaching staff, and everybody.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I saw Archie saying tonight, "I don't know what to do...

I am so so happy these guys are starting to get my message>"
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes in timeouts I'll say, 'I've got nothing for you. What do you want me to do? We just turned it over six times. Everybody's holding the ball. What else do you want me to do here? Figure it out,' " Popovich said, according to the San Antonio Express-News, not long before the Spurs used 14 3-pointers and a season-high 39 assists to dispatch the Cavs. "And I'll get up and walk away. Because it's true. There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ay-coach-court
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Townie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud of
So it is the off season and I just wanted to relive some of the melt downs that I enjoy reading so much on this board.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Townie For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-06-2015), Smitty10 (05-06-2015), The Gem (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:41 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
The irony of this thread, is that at the time it was started, UD was wrapping up a contract extension for Archie that none (well few) of us would know about until the middle of their elite 8 run. Keeping that in mind, it makes many of the comments a little more entertaining that UD felt one way, while many felt something completely different (I was in the later camp at this stage).

I think Chris hit the nail on the head, the frustration at that point wasn't all of Archie's fault, a lot of it was built up thru seeing the same thing seemingly unfolding again after the mediocre A-10 finishes of the BG era. Thankfully Archie, the team, and I think a little bit of health helped turned things around. And now you know, the rest of the story.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I was really frustrated at this point in that season. I'm glad I didn't post in this thread or I would be at the feast of crow with the everybody else.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-06-2015), Smitty10 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope you guys went to Confession afterward
j/k....
Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
What I find telling is the posters who were posting the very negative, very often at that point in time, have seemed to post very seldom since we played OSU. I guess they go by the mantra "if you have nothing bad to say, don't say anything at all."

Last edited by Smitty10; 05-06-2015 at 07:11 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (05-06-2015), FLYER5 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
These posts from last year are quite comical. Just goes to show that some who think they know it all, have alot to learn. As I've said many times, the season is a marathon not a sprint.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
These posts from last year are quite comical. Just goes to show that some who think they know it all, have alot to learn. As I've said many times, the season is a marathon not a sprint.
A coach should be given no less than 4 seasons to prove himself at UD before he's judged. That's when he should have a roster filled with his own players. That's also enough time to shake off outgoing transfers and change of commitments caused from the exit of the previous regime. Plus weeding out his first classes that were brought on out of desperation. Archie is remarkable as it only took him about 2 and 3/4 seasons to right the ship. But there aren't that many Archie Millers out there so 4 seasons before I give up on a coach.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
General

So what this tells me is that IF UD makes the tournament, it will not be due to the fact that they beat enough good teams over the course of a 30+ game season? Now, making the tournament isn't the standard that UD fans want to judge the success of a coach/team by and instead of just finding a way to win (doesn't matter how you do it), a team (UD) is required to look REALLY, REALLY good doing it? Now there is an eye test requirement as well?

I'm confused. What are we talking about, PRACTICE? Sounds to me like some folks are preparing to **** on the parade if (and that's a big IF) UD is able to EARN its way into the Dance.

Sometimes I wonder if the reality is that some people just aren't happy unless they have SOMETHING to complain about.

Just win.
dnuts, a man ahead of his time.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
What I find telling is the posters who were posting the very negative, very often at that point in time, have seemed to post very seldom since we played OSU. I guess they go by the mantra "if you have nothing bad to say, don't say anything at all."
There's more truth to that than people realize. There are just a handful of knowledgeable posters that chime in the minute the program hits a speed bump, but are whisper quiet when all systems are go. They can't wait to tell us how and why we are going down.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
I think this thread was the last time FlyerGeorge posted...
Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Brilliance

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
I've heard many coaches say "I don't know what to do." I've usually heard them say it to me and my teammates as a player and to to teams and coaches when I was a trainer.
As Orad14 said above, it's out of frustration. I can recall with great clarity my basketball coach saying those exact words to us during timeouts and half time of several games when we were playing poorly and losing badly. It was usually followed by "We worked on this in practice" or "I can't make you want to win, that's up to you." One of my all-time favorites (although not at the time as we were getting screamed at) was "if you don't want to play, we can go home. I'll tell the referee you don't want to play and we'll pick up out stuff and go home."
What am I saying?
It's CONTEXT.
Archie likely expresses frustration to an assistant who he also likely had previously consulted with, and some people on this board blow it up and accuse Archie of being incompetent and ignorant. Had the camera not been focused on him at that very moment, this thread would not exist.
Take a step back and get some perspective.
Ironically, I think I saw Archie say "I don't know what to do" during the UMass game. During a time out, he was addressing one of the officials. I believe he said "I don't know what to do" and then motioned to one end of the floor and then to the other end of the floor. It may have been in reference to Vee getting clubbed as he penetrated on one end with no call and Chaz drawing a phantom foul on the other end. I have to sympathize. Considering the inconsistency of officiating, if a player asked me to show them the difference between a foul and a no call, I would also say "I don't know what to do."
ESPN poses the question of why coaches are coming unhinged. I thin the answer is as simple as watching some game films.
Just reading old posts and patting myself on the back.....
Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Just reading old posts and patting myself on the back.....
It is comical to read the post of the bridge jumpers, posing as experts. not to fear, should a rough patch occur, they will be back in force. Seems as though it's the same small handful of posters every time. Haven't heard too much from them since the end of the 1-5 conference start last year.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post

I nominate this for best post on the thread. Way to nail the predictions, Windy City Flyer! The last bit is EXACTLY what will be happening this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-07-2015)