Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM
2nd Lieutenant

UD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura about
Old Arena seats

anyone know what became of the lower arena seats that have been removed?
I would think there would be a market to sell them to alumni.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
they are to be destroyed. No seats will be sold.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Seems short sighted to me. I'm sure they could have sold off some of them for a profit for the athletic department
Old 08-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Captain

DaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Seems short sighted to me. I'm sure they could have sold off some of them for a profit for the athletic department
Totally agree. They could've started by asking the current season ticket holder of those particular seats if they would be interested in purchasing them - think of the nostalgic value they could be to a season ticket holder. If he/she passes, then the University could offer them up in an online auction or something.

Either way, missed opportunity to serve a couple of purposes: make a few extra bucks to dept. and offer a piece of history to the fans.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
The Reds sold the old seats from Riverfront Stadium when they tore down the stadium.

Some/many of those seats are for sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinergy-Fiel...-/282571308888
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Since they are scrapping the seats, I am sure they are making a few bucks
Old 08-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
Jablo explained this pretty well on twitter. Due to the process of removal and I believe the old floor underneath the current wood floor they have to be destroyed and can't be sold to the public. Environmental thing.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

Bigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of light
I read on an article earlier that the reason they weren't going to sell the seats was because of health precautions. It stated something along the lines of- the age of the seats brought about risk of asbestos (maybe not asbestos but something similar), and that's why they won't sell them. I agree though, a lot of $$ and season ticket holder satisfaction could've been made.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
"HUGH" missed opportunity as Trump would say?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
You can't sell padded used furniture . Health reasons.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wes View Post
You can't sell padded used furniture . Health reasons.
Are you sure about that? What about these yellow, used, padded seats from Riverfront that are for sale right now?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Reds-River...torefresh=true

Old 08-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Looks to me like some of them were just sitting on the concourse of the arena two days ago if you can sneak in and grab a couple. They may not be selling them but I bet if you know the right people you could get some.

https://twitter.com/AllaireMatt/stat...17022775160832
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,115 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
The old seats will be recycled for LEED points on the project.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...yQgAFBOm8SDjL/
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaburr91 View Post
The old seats will be recycled for LEED points on the project.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...yQgAFBOm8SDjL/
This smells like environmental showboating similar to the silly UD divestment from fossil fuels. LEED points are more important than making your fan base happy and hauling in a pile of cash. By the way there is nothing more environmentally friendly than taking an old seat and STILL USING IT AS A SEAT!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (08-03-2017), jaburr91 (08-02-2017), ud2 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
This smells like environmental showboating similar to the silly UD divestment from fossil fuels. LEED points are more important than making your fan base happy and hauling in a pile of cash. By the way there is nothing more environmentally friendly than taking an old seat and STILL USING IT AS A SEAT!
Posted via Mobile Device
IMRO, you're right about the showboating.

Like basketball, LEED certification is about points. Diverting waste from a renovation project to a landfill earns you points. How you divert them is not as important as making sure the waste doesn't end up in a landfill.

Selling seats to fans is about a 100% certain you can get that the seat won't end up in a landfill. So the 'LEED' justification for not selling them is weak.

But what do I know? Just because I work for the EPA and taught Environmental Sustainability at UD for X number of years doesn't mean anything...
C-time (08-02-2017), Gazoo (08-03-2017), jaburr91 (08-02-2017), ud2 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM

And the logistics and timeline were problems? What? Just store the seats somewhere and sell them online. If UD does not have any storage space, then just rent a small warehouse. Or hire somebody to store and sell the seats online, and UD would just pay the seller a fee that was a percentage of the sale proceeds. The rationale given does not really make any sense to me.

Either that, or just have a one-time public sale. I think that is what the Reds did. I think they might have had the sale over at Lunken Airport.

Last edited by ud2; 08-02-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Here is how the Reds handled this:

http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/10...rgysale20.html:

Sunday, October 20, 2002
Early birds catch the Cinergy Field memories

By Howard Wilkinson
The Cincinnati Enquirer

There was no such thing as being too early Saturday for O'Rourke Wrecking Co.'s sale of Cinergy Field seats outside the company headquarters on Lunken Park Drive in Linwood.

By the advertised 8 a.m. opening, at least 3,000 early arrivers - some of whom had camped out all night along Wilmer Avenue across from Lunken Airport - were queued up in a line four city blocks long for the chance to take home a set of red or green seats from the soon-to-be-demolished home of the Cincinnati Reds.

NEXT SALE SATURDAY
Another 10,000 Cinergy Field seats, pieces of ball park sod and other memoriabilia will go on sale at 8 a.m. Saturday at O'Rourke Wrecking's Lunken Park Drive headquarters in Linwood.
The sale lasts until 3 p.m., but O'Rourke officials urged those who were turned away this weekend to show up and take a place in line well before the selling begins at 8 a.m.
Customers can buy a minimum of four Cinergy Field seats for $35 each. Seat brackets to support the seat will be sold at $30 each.
Twelve-inch souvenir squares of sod will be sold for $15 each.
Payment can be made by cash, Visa or Mastercard. No personal checks will be accepted.
For information on the sale, go to www.orourkewrecking.com.
Thousands of others - memorabilia collectors and Reds fans who had assumed that an 8 a.m. arrival would put them at the head of the line - were turned away and told to come back next Saturday, when another 10,000 seats from the 40,000-seat ballpark would be available.

"You might as well go home," O'Rourke employee David Long shouted at the hundreds gathered at the Wilmer Avenue gate at 8 a.m. "There's no way there's going to be anything left by the time you get to the front of that line."

O'Rourke is the company hired by Hamilton County to tear down the 32-year-old stadium. A standard part of a demolition contract makes everything in the building the property of the wrecking company - thus, the sale of Cinergy seats, sod, signs and other memorabilia to the public.

But, Saturday, the first public sale after one limited to Reds season ticket-holders only, saw many would-be customers go away not only empty-handed but unhappy.

"This is disgusting," said Kim Hansen of Colerain Township, who arrived at 8 a.m. in hopes of getting four Cinergy Field seats.

"I'm a fifth-generation Reds fan; I don't know how many hundreds of times I've sat in those seats," she said. "That ought to count for something."

Bruce Plettner hopped in the car at 5:30 a.m. Saturday to make the 130-mile trip from his home in Bloomington, Ind., in hopes of going home with some seats. Arriving shortly before 8 a.m., he was told to go home because he had no chance of getting any seats.

"I don't care; I've come a long way so I'm going to stand in that line," Mr. Plettner said, making his way up Lunken Park Drive toward the end of the long line.

Mr. Long's advice to those who were turned away Saturday was simple - show up very early for next Saturday's sale.

"It's like a concert," Mr. Long told one person reluctant to leave. "If it was a concert I really wanted to see, I'd stand in line all night. Just come real early next week."

A half-hour before the scheduled 8 a.m.-3 p.m. sale was to begin, hundreds of cars crawled along Wilmer Avenue in the rain and early-morning darkness. Would-be customers parked in the mud along both sides of the road from the airport terminal to the Lunken playfields.

But Saturday, it was only early birds like Kevin Kroeger and his brother-in-law, Bob Vonhagel, both of Deer Park, who made it through the line and went home happy.

About 8:15 a.m., as Mr. Long and a Cincinnati police officer pleaded with dozens at the O'Rourke gate to go home and try again next week, Mr. Kroeger and Mr. Vonhagel walked by carrying sets of red seats and hoisted them into Mr. Kroeger's pick-up truck.

"I had a feeling it was going to be like this," Mr. Kroeger said. "So I woke up at a quarter to five, hopped straight into the truck and was here in 10 minutes."

The wait, Mr. Kroeger said, "was cold and dark and wet, but it wasn't all that bad. I just feel bad for all these people out here who thought they could show up at eight."

Jill Cummins of West Chester showed up early as well; she bought four red seats for her son and also came away with some of the broken bats that were piled up in the empty lot next to O'Rourke's company headquarters.

"I came in just to get the seats, but you get soaked up in all this stuff so I had to buy something else," Ms. Cummins said. "What a great sale."

O'Rourke Wrecking let Rick Block of Indian Hill set up a booth next to the memorabilia stand and the rows of red and green seats to sell copies of his Riverfront Stadium poster, a collage of 175 photographs from around the ballpark that he took during the last six games played there in September.

"I kind of had mixed feelings about seeing the ballpark go," Mr. Block said. "The new ballpark will be great. But there are so many memories wrapped up in that place."

Of those fortunate enough to buy seats, possibly none came farther than Craig Corbin, who drove 500 miles from his home in Atlanta.

Mr. Corbin, wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates warm-up jacket, loaded his Cinergy seats onto the back of his truck for the long ride home.

"I just wanted a piece of it," Mr. Corbin said. "Don't ask me why. I'm just a baseball nut."

E-mail hwilkinson@enquirer.com
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM

UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Here is how the Reds handled this:

...Customers can buy a minimum of four Cinergy Field seats for $35 each. Seat brackets to support the seat will be sold at $30 each....
Looks like $65 per seat. Bump up to $100 for inflation and UD passed on $1,350,000. (net profit would have been less but add back in the goodwill from the fans and it adds up to about "that was pretty dumb" dollars and "we are social justice warriors" cents)

Last edited by UDEE79; 08-02-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
I believe most of the lower bowl seats are padded, so that is probably driving the decision not to sell to the public. The all plastic seats were made in the 60's and probably have all kinds of bad chemicals (known to cause cancer and birth defects in California) so they are off limits too. The Leed points are a plus. The yellow Riverfront seats ar being sold by a private individual so they can sell whatever they want. I purchased a bunch of seats from the old Municipal Stadium in Cleveland and I know they were covered in lead paint. I have one set of 4 seats left - for sale - $1000 firm.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
...The all plastic seats were made in the 60's and probably have all kinds of bad chemicals (known to cause cancer and birth defects in California) so they are off limits too...
I have spent about 800 hours in those seats so my butt cancer must be on its way. I am sure many here have spent much more.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (08-02-2017), Gazoo (08-03-2017), rollo (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I have spent about 800 hours in those seats so my butt cancer must be on its way. I am sure many here have spent much more.
As long as you are not in California I guess you are good to go
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeF (08-03-2017), UDGutter2 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
IMRO, you're right about the showboating.

Like basketball, LEED certification is about points. Diverting waste from a renovation project to a landfill earns you points. How you divert them is not as important as making sure the waste doesn't end up in a landfill.

Selling seats to fans is about a 100% certain you can get that the seat won't end up in a landfill. So the 'LEED' justification for not selling them is weak.

But what do I know? Just because I work for the EPA and taught Environmental Sustainability at UD for X number of years doesn't mean anything...
Well you worked for the government and taught that BS ...you should be ashamed of yourself!
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like $65 per seat. Bump up to $100 for inflation and UD passed on $1,350,000. (net profit would have been less but add back in the goodwill from the fans and it adds up to about "that was pretty dumb" dollars and "we are social justice warriors" cents)
Nice thought but ..... there is always a but! The Lower Bowl is a good part gray heads and as one of them I don't need more junk. I was uncomfortable sitting in those seats for 40 plus years and why would I want to have them. Maybe you get 200 people to buy them so no big deal.

http://blog.empowermint.com/article/...oes-it-matter/

I bet that the NCAA takes the Leed certification seriously and we are shooting for a world class facility.

So buy some of the Red's seats on Ebay and paint them Blue or Red.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
Nice thought but ..... there is always a but! The Lower Bowl is a good part gray heads and as one of them I don't need more junk. I was uncomfortable sitting in those seats for 40 plus years and why would I want to have them. Maybe you get 200 people to buy them so no big deal.

http://blog.empowermint.com/article/...oes-it-matter/

I bet that the NCAA takes the Leed certification seriously and we are shooting for a world class facility.

So buy some of the Red's seats on Ebay and paint them Blue or Red.
There's usually a gob'ment answer to every truly stupid thing we encounter in life, so I would not be surprised if that's what is behind this.

But just because you don't have room in your basement doesn't mean that a great many other people don't. It seems like they could offer up 1 day, show up or miss your chance, cash purchases only. Then send everything left over to the final resting place.