User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Strengths and weaknesses

Coming into the season I think there was a general acceptance that there were some things that would be pretty good strengths and some pretty scary weaknesses.

Strengths:
1. Inside game. Cunningham, Williams, maybe even Trey as a wild card though no one really knew. Kostas might bring some thing under the bucket too.
2. Rebounding.

Weaknesses:
1. Guard play.
2. Youth.
3. Guard play.
4. Guard play.

Questions:
1. Shooting.
2. Defense.
3. Gelling as a team under a new coach with so many new faces.

So far, what have we done as a team?

Cunningham has taken 32 shots inside the arc in 4 games. Not terrible, but our biggest strength is only taking 8 shots per game, with Trey missing 2 of those games? Seems suspect. What the heck are we doing? Why isn't Cunningham touching the ball a lot more?

Rebounding has not been good. We've been outrebounded YTD. 30 total Oreb, 14 by Cunningham and 8 of those were in 1 game against an undersized Ohio team. To put that in perspective, everyone not named Cunningham is averaging a cumulative total of 4 Oreb per game. To put that further into perspective, "Team" has as many Oreb (2) as XW through 4 games.

Guard play has been un-terrible. Crosby has 11 assists and 5 TO, and taken only 2 shots from 3. He's been quiet and steady, not leading us to victory but not blowing it either. DD has been . . . stellar?! Did I say that? Freshmen guards have been up and down. Not awful.

All the "questions" have come up snake-eyes. Youth has been "youthful." Still figuring it out for sure. Shooting not great, certainly not shot selection. Defense has been puke-worthy.

The biggest frustration to me is the lack of effort, as shown in the rebounding numbers. Last year I would get frustrated when someone took a shot and no one went for the rebound, this year that's standard operating procedure.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (11-20-2017), DallasFlyer (11-20-2017), Flyer 86 (11-20-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
XW is 6'friggin8". I don't care if he shoots 75% from behind the arc, Josh and Kostas need help on the boards. On every single transition he camps there. No threat in the paint, easy for the defense. Speaking of defense, XW plays very little.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-20-2017), jack72 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love to see some plus / minus stats. With so many new guys (and they're all new to Anthony Grant), it's a formidable task to figure out rotations. So I wonder what the stats reveal in that regard. Anyone?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Coming into the season I think there was a general acceptance that there were some things that would be pretty good strengths and some pretty scary weaknesses.

Strengths:
1. Inside game. Cunningham, Williams, maybe even Trey as a wild card though no one really knew. Kostas might bring some thing under the bucket too.
2. Rebounding.

Weaknesses:
1. Guard play.
2. Youth.
3. Guard play.
4. Guard play.

Questions:
1. Shooting.
2. Defense.
3. Gelling as a team under a new coach with so many new faces.

So far, what have we done as a team?

Cunningham has taken 32 shots inside the arc in 4 games. Not terrible, but our biggest strength is only taking 8 shots per game, with Trey missing 2 of those games? Seems suspect. What the heck are we doing? Why isn't Cunningham touching the ball a lot more?

Rebounding has not been good. We've been outrebounded YTD. 30 total Oreb, 14 by Cunningham and 8 of those were in 1 game against an undersized Ohio team. To put that in perspective, everyone not named Cunningham is averaging a cumulative total of 4 Oreb per game. To put that further into perspective, "Team" has as many Oreb (2) as XW through 4 games.

Guard play has been un-terrible. Crosby has 11 assists and 5 TO, and taken only 2 shots from 3. He's been quiet and steady, not leading us to victory but not blowing it either. DD has been . . . stellar?! Did I say that? Freshmen guards have been up and down. Not awful.

All the "questions" have come up snake-eyes. Youth has been "youthful." Still figuring it out for sure. Shooting not great, certainly not shot selection. Defense has been puke-worthy.

The biggest frustration to me is the lack of effort, as shown in the rebounding numbers. Last year I would get frustrated when someone took a shot and no one went for the rebound, this year that's standard operating procedure.

A lot of the problems can be attributed to guard play, even though you list it as un-terrible.

DD has been much better than expected, but he's not playing a scoochie role for the majority of the game. Crosby's stat line is ok, but his ball distribution has still been below average. The freshman are doing well for what they are, but they are still learning and will take a while. Good guards make the entire team look better even when they are struggling shooting.

The defense hasn't been good and thats on everyone.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Positives...

DD's play has been really good. But can he keep it up? Eventually he will be guarded and others will have to step up. I am really impressed with the confidence in knocking down perimeter shots and getting to the rim.

Cunningham is playing pretty well. Foul trouble cost him minutes and looks like that may be an issue going forward.

Zone defense (some of the time). Utilizing length on D in zone got us back into the Hofstra game and worked well other time. With X, Cunningham, and Kostas in the game this team can really disrupt the other guy.

New guys will be really good....they may be really good in short time...I think some may steal some starting minutes before the 1st of the year.

Negatives...

Shot selection. Yes...I know you are open....but if you are 4 for 135, drive to the basket...initiate contact...get to the line. 4 guys on the perimeter don't do our rebounding any favors. One and done 3 balls will kill you.

Trips to free throw line...anemic.

Ability to stop penetration. When penetration occurs...our bigs get into foul trouble. Starting bigs can't afford to be on the bench.

Ability to close out perimeter shooters. We've been torched on the outside.

Effort...this one stings. I don't care how young, new coach, new system, etc...body language has been bad a times and effort.

These new guys are going to be really good. Trey's injury hurts and hopefully he isn't out for long. These guys need to be well rounded on offense. Living by the three isn't going to do them any favors at all. They have to get it inside. Kostas can create with the ball. Cunningham is a man in the paint. XW has to play like he is 6'08 and not like he i 6'02. X is a very good ball player...if he is at the 3...use that size to an advantage. Instead of camping out, get inside and use the mismatch to your advantage.

I like the mix of zone is good but they need to rebound out of it. On offense, ODU threw zone between man and we were really late in realizing it and running zone offense. Our veteran guards have to realize the defensive switch before 20 seconds run off the shot clock.

This will be a ride. Will be nice to get back in front of the home crowd and move forward.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (11-20-2017), Flyer 86 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure why so many are putting XW down as an interior player. He has not yet played that way thru 2 years and has shown almost zero interest in being a banger this year thru 4 games.

I like him as a player but not as a leader of this team. Hopefully he can develop that warrior mentaility this team needs but I highly doubt it. He reminds me so much of Yuanta Holland of years back. Very skilled but way too passive game in and game out. He does differ from YH in that he doesn't shy away from taking the big shots so that is a huge plus but only if he finds his stroke again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Not sure why so many are putting XW down as an interior player. He has not yet played that way thru 2 years and has shown almost zero interest in being a banger this year thru 4 games.
I am not calling for a back to the basket type guy. But he can take it to the rim. He has shown that in the past. He also can rebound. It does no service to have him in a position where he can't be beneficial on the boards.

Certain players are post first wing second. Others wing then post. There is no reason to believe that he can't be a 50/50 guy, creating all sorts of headaches for the opposition due to being a guy that can hit jumpers at 6'08. Right now he is not a major threat on the wing and is not an offensive rebounding threat. Time to switch it up...attack the rim...put yourself in a position to have positive possessions...not one and done jumpers.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-20-2017), Gazoo (11-20-2017), jack72 (11-20-2017), Runnin' Rebel (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I am not calling for a back to the basket type guy. But he can take it to the rim. He has shown that in the past. He also can rebound. It does no service to have him in a position where he can't be beneficial on the boards.

Certain players are post first wing second. Others wing then post. There is no reason to believe that he can't be a 50/50 guy, creating all sorts of headaches for the opposition due to being a guy that can hit jumpers at 6'08. Right now he is not a major threat on the wing and is not an offensive rebounding threat. Time to switch it up...attack the rim...put yourself in a position to have positive possessions...not one and done jumpers.
Okay, now I know what XW's play so far this season reminds me of, Sam Miller.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Thems fightin' words right there boy.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Fairborn Fan (11-20-2017), Gazoo (11-20-2017), shocka43 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

That's the point on XW for sure. There's nothing at all wrong with him scaring the opposition with his outside shooting ability after a few drives to the bucket, and at 6'8" can get a good shot off most of the time. But we put zero pressure on the defense to box out when there are 3 guys fighting with Cunningham and 4 guys standing at half court. Heck half the time our shots are picked up off a bounce because no one is even chasing it.

That either makes us unreasonably passive on both ends of the court, or reflects our existing passivity that's already there.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100% he should be able to be expected to be a 50/50 guy. Just have my doubts he has that mentality nor will develop it. I hope I am wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2017, 01:09 PM
General

Shot selection. Yes...I know you are open....but if you are 4 for 135, drive to the basket...initiate contact...get to the line. 4 guys on the perimeter don't do our rebounding any favors. One and done 3 balls will kill you.
Was it Jerry West who had the famous line, "You were open for a reason."
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-20-2017), shocka43 (11-20-2017), TXFlyerFan (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Watching pre-game drills in Charleston, I found it interesting that XW did not participate in the big man drills with Josh, Kostas, and Jordan Pierce. Everyone else was on the bench as those 3 went through drills before the OU game.
I would like to see a little more "Chris Johnson" in XW's approach. If AG's evaluation of talent has XW on the perimeter, I'm OK with that. CJ played a similar role. However, when a shot went up, CJ crashed the boards. I have not seen that pursuit of rebounds from XW. Far too many times UD had 4 guys dropping back with Josh left to fend for himself rebounding. As mentioned, some balls bounced because UD had nobody following their own shot or pursuing someone's miss. CJ was very good at reading missed shots (often his own) and anticipating where they were going to bounce. I have not seen that from anyone on this team.
jack72 (11-21-2017)