Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
If we want the Red Scare to be more creative and less mean, they need a hierarchy who's job will be to think up clever things for them to do. The rest of the Scare then need to think that it is their job to do the clever things. Right now, they just do what bubbles up from the sea of hormones and agitation. It can be just mean. "You Suck!"

Also, if they had identifiable leadership, the U can talk to the leadership when the Scare need to tone it down. It's fun to be in the Red Scare. It would be more fun if they were known throughout college basketball for being highly entertaining as well as loUD.
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2020, 12:25 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
If we want the Red Scare to be more creative and less mean, they need a hierarchy who's job will be to think up clever things for them to do. The rest of the Scare then need to think that it is their job to do the clever things. Right now, they just do what bubbles up from the sea of hormones and agitation. It can be just mean. "You Suck!"

Also, if they had identifiable leadership, the U can talk to the leadership when the Scare need to tone it down. It's fun to be in the Red Scare. It would be more fun if they were known throughout college basketball for being highly entertaining as well as loUD.
A student told me that the guys in the front row of the student section are the officers of the Red Scare so they have some type of leadership.
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:35 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
A student told me that the guys in the front row of the student section are the officers of the Red Scare so they have some type of leadership.
There are a few leaders that do meet with UD staff to prepare for the season...I don't know how frequent... But I do know they have met with Willie, cheer, etc. In the past.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:47 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I can appreciate the challenge of a few RS leaders trying to control 750 students. Theres little that can be done in the moment when someone in the back row of an opposite section in the student area decides to go rogue and then others join in. The best that can be done is to set a standard and expectations and then create a culture where everyone self-polices and does things on the honor system. You see someone out of line or a bad influence, rat them out. Thats what the rest of us do when someone in the general seating sections becomes foul-mouthed, belligerent, or just a general jackweed. You push back and tell tell them straighten up in the same way you tell the parent of the kid with the 9yr old constantly kicking the back of your seat to "take care of it". Its all you CAN do.

And to presume every last student engaged in stupid chants is also unfair. Ultimately each person is responsible for their own behavior. Im sure there are a few (or more than a few) that roll their eyes with a "dude, really?" when this stuff happens on occasion. Not everyone was raised by apes.

Im sure being a RS leader is a job few want and is rather thankless. I can sympathize with that struggle.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank goodness many of you were not around when I made my first visit to UD. I would have gone somewhere with a little more fun of a crowd. I'm thinking some of you started UD when you were 70 and never changed.

So when the students want their safe spaces or don't want the ghetto called the ghetto anymore, they are snowflakes but when they say that one of the other team's players is not as good as the brother on our team, they ought to be forced into a relearning camp.

Jack72 said it above. They are stupid college kids - like I was but I guess not like how many of you were. On a scale of 1 -10 of bad behavior with 10 being the worst, this was a 1.

I do agree that being a little more witty will improve their reputation and separate them from just about every other student group.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (02-14-2020), jack72 (02-14-2020), UDGutter2 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So when the students want their safe spaces or don't want the ghetto called the ghetto anymore, they are snowflakes but when they say that one of the other team's players is not as good as the brother on our team, they ought to be forced into a relearning camp.
I see a major distinction here.

Calling your own neighborhood a slang term is self-deprecation. Your the actual people living in it. Its UD students calling UD housing the UD Ghetto. Its like calling your own car a "shytbox". The aim of the term is not directed at others. You can call your car or your own streets anything you want.

Mocking the brother of a UD student athlete is someone else's turf however. It's no longer self-deprecation. It's throwing a jab from behind the protection of a glass divider. And were that glass divider not there (the seats in UD Arena and the basketball court where neither ticketholders go on the court or basketball players go in the stands), none of these folks would have the balls to even mumble under their breath within 5 feet of Jacob Toppin that "Obi's Better!", let alone chant it. Because they know they'd get the absolute living tar beat out of them. And the guy threatening the ass-beating might ultimately be Obi.

We already have proof. It took Roni getting out of her seat one time with one vocal response to get them to abandon their tough image and waive the white flag. Everybody is a macho man from the cheaps until someone swings back. But that's the coward's way. Players are almost always available around the Arena concourse after the game. Walk up to them tell them in their face what you say from the stands. Aint ever gonna happen.

Its interesting that perhaps the greatest UD student section chant in Arena history -- "Sit Down Digger!" -- lives on. It was unique, repetitive, catchy, not offensive, yet a heck of a lot of fun to participate in. Were it actually insulting, offensive, or even just moderately in poor taste, it wouldn't have worked -- that was the beauty in it. It was something nobody could lay a finger on -- not even Digger Phelps which was all the better. It was designed specifically for one coach, from one school, with one odd nickname. If it had been "Sit Down Ray!" for Ray Meyer, it wouldn't have worked. The chant poked fun at Digger's nickname but in a way that was sleight-of-hand. It said, "you're annoying" without saying it. It said, "ND was not created from Holy Water" without saying it. And no other opposing school came up with it or used it. That's where the genius was and why it was an all-timer.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
I predict 'Obi is Better' will be the least offensive chant directed towards him during his basketball career
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-14-2020), flyerfanatic86 (02-14-2020), jack72 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:01 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
I predict 'Obi is Better' will be the least offensive chant directed towards him during his basketball career
Pretty sure that wasn't the issue that anyone has. The issue was out of respect for their parents sitting 10 feet from them.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:04 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quite honestly, "Obi's better" could be directed at almost(?) every player from every team in college basketball this year, including his own teammates. Good luck in all you do, Obi.

Oh, remember, when Obi was his brother's age, he was in prep school not college. And I hear he's been growing.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
My suggestion is that Willie conduct a brief pre-game confab with the front row RSers and maybe a few others in section 108 and tell them to tone it down and the kindness will spread. Maybe not immediately, but it will. Not in Willie's position description, but he has the cred that will enable this to happen.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the students should just follow Roni Toppin’s lead and yell “Obi is older!”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing a few of you have quite the collection of balls that ended up on your lawns.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:41 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing a few of you have quite the collection of balls that ended up on your lawns.
And those kids are NOT getting them back! I'll sick my miniature poodle on them.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The refs should have T’d up Red Scare for being poopyheads!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The refs should have T’d up Red Scare for being poopyheads!
Posted via Mobile Device
Appears as though somebody has been reffing the U6 games.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Appears as though somebody has been reffing the U6 games.
Since I’m only calling every-other foul from now on, I’m going to let this snarky comment slide ( which is NOT traveling), so watch your Royal step...the Golden Whistle is watching!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 PM

My bar is pretty low. Don't annoy the mother of the best UD player to walk through the doors in the last 40 years. Kiss the feet that he -- and she - walk on. Don't poke the stick at the hand that's feeding you. That's it. Pick on Fatts. Pick on Langevine. Pick on Dowtin.

Perhaps I am just too grateful. If so, I can live with that.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (02-15-2020)