Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I would assume at this point, its pretty well decided if he'll play for his dad or not, its likely not a talent issue, more of an issue "do I want to play for my dad/does my dad want me to play for him" In cases like that, it goes beyond talent, but goes into a dynamic where a father may think its best for his son's development to get coaching from another ear; there may also be nepotism rules at Stanford that would prevent his son from attending school there.

Once other coaches start recruiting him, I'm guessing the awkardness goes away pretty quickly, you're going to know pretty quickly if he's just playing you and is going to his Dad's school all along or if he's realistically looking. I doubt Johnny Dawkins wants to put a fellow member of his faternity (ie coaches) in that situation, so I assume they're pretty straight up on the odds of his son attending Stanford.
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hadn't thought about a nepotism rule being in place. I was thinking more along the lines of Johnny pushing his son to explore his options, while "saving a spot" for his son without the necessity of having to actually use a scholarship. But I can definitely see why he would encourage his son to strike out on his own elsewhere.

If nothing else, Dayton will have both son and father's attention this week, and I think dad especially will have a better feel for Archie having coached against him. Hopefully, the takeaway for them both is that Archie is a heck of a coach and that Dayton has a lot of talent with unbelievable fan support.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
While the iron is hot and THE University of Dayton is in the national limelight, we need to maximize our opportunity to talk to a top recruit. The Dallas News writes "Myles Turner, Euless Trinity, Sr. C, 6'11", Stats: The District 6-5A MVP averaged a double-double with 18.1 points and 12.2 rebounds. He also added 6.8 blocks and 3.5 assists per game. Did you know? Turner, a McDonald's All American, is the top uncommitted recruit in the nation. He is ranked second in the 2014 class by Scout and ESPN." So, Archie Miller, after the season is over, needs to catch the next flight to Dallas, Texas and talk to this guy. What's the worst that the guy can say? Take a risk! You never know until you ask.
I would think some of the intangibles that Dayton has to offer might be appealing to this player. And it sure doesn't hurt to try. And I would expect the whole Miller family would be interested in Myles---that includes Arizona. Additionally the entire sunbelt nation from SDSU to Florida would also be on Myles. Then there is the fact that we here in north Texas are subjected to intense recruiting by the Big 12, where basketball is gaining speed every year. There is intense local pressure to stay in Texas. Baylor and UT come to mind. Then there is Larry Brown and SMU.

I'm not saying don't try, but I would imagine one trip is all it would take to gage the interest. Rarely do you corner a top recruit in the 11th hour when you are new to the chase. Can't deny that he has had a bullseye on him for several years. Archie has done a creditable job of spending his time and resources. He has to match the probable investment with the probability of success, and frankly this target does not pass the litmus test.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I was just poring over the recruits not committed on 247's list of their top 447 players and there seems to be several nuggets out there who could be swayed toward the classic education brought to light by our Sweet Sixteen appearance. Just saying.. I. am. so. excited. I think I'm going to pee on myself..:no:
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Go outside. It's pee on a tree week.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-24-2014), FLYER5 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with the Kennard's and Turner's of the world are they are potentially one and dones. If they stay two years, fine. Our program is not about one and dones. Sometimes freshman just do not adjust well no matter how good they are, because they are playing for a draft slot (themselves) not the team and program. Let's be partially real and get a couple of great tall four stars.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
While Luke is a very nice player, he is not a one and done kid.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Falcon7 (03-24-2014), m21eagle45 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
The other problem with one and dones is all the extra media attention baggage that they bring to programs. Archie clearly isn't a fan of doing interviews. Image if there were constantly national media wanting to talk about one of his players and showing highlights on Sportscenter. Oh the humanity!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
While Luke is a very nice player, he is not a one and done kid.
I spoke with someone I work with about Luke today. He has known Luke's family for quite a while and said that Luke is a great guy, not big headed at all. He would be a program changer for UD
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-24-2014), Flyer 86 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlightClub.33.32.15.1 View Post
@Corey_Albertson
Luke Kennard just told me - "I think people will be surprised. I've been leaning this way for a while." Uh oh!

He's gotta be talking about us right? Right? I really dont care where he goes, just hope it isnt Ohio State.
I hope that Luke is smart enough to not announce his college choice if said college choice is going to a school playing in the sweet 16 this week. His future team doesn't need the distraction (though I guess one could say, at a school like UD it would be a huge story, at a school like UK its just another day in the neighborhood) so I hope that has him pointing towards OSU or Duke, not Kentucky or Michigan (though as a fan, I'd clearly take the "distraction" of him announcing his commitment to UD).

I heard from someone not directly connected to Luke, but pretty well connected to coaching circles in college basketball that Ohio State was the favorite for Luke for a while now. That was back in either October or Nov. so things can/do change, but I'm guessing he announces to OSU tonight.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The problem with the Kennard's and Turner's of the world are they are potentially one and dones. If they stay two years, fine. Our program is not about one and dones. Sometimes freshman just do not adjust well no matter how good they are, because they are playing for a draft slot (themselves) not the team and program. Let's be partially real and get a couple of great tall four stars.
For years, we just wanted to get one player in the NBA so it couldn't be used as a mark against in recruiting. Not saying Kennard is a one and done talent, but heck yes, Dayton would take a one and done guy. As many doors as a sweet 16 or better run would open, that would open more.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by FlightClub.33.32.15.1 View Post
@Corey_Albertson
Luke Kennard just told me - "I think people will be surprised. I've been leaning this way for a while." Uh oh!

He's gotta be talking about us right? Right? I really dont care where he goes, just hope it isnt Ohio State.
I'll be surprised if it's not Duke.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I dont put much value in making the Sweet-16 in helping our recruiting. Will it hurt? No. But will it change the needle significantly enough to notice? Probably not.

SJU went to the Sweet-16 and Elite 8 under Martelli in the latter 90s and early 2000s. Richmond made the Sweet-16 two years ago and LaSalle last year.

All three programs are pretty much exactly what they were before that success: back to their own water level.

Recruiting comes down to relationships and contacts more than anything else.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
DGO67 (03-28-2014), Falcon7 (03-25-2014), Flyer 86 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I'll be surprised if it's not Duke.
^ I agree, but it would not shock me if it is Michigan or ................MSU.

edit: Now that I think about it, would he announce to go to a team that's still in the Tourney? That would be pretty odd... I would think.

So it's: Duke.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................OSU.

Last edited by Falcon7; 03-24-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Archie has connections in the AAU circuit. He has the relationships and contacts. It might open a door or two and make it a little easier to get a campus visit. I do think UD shows a little better than St Joes and LaSalle
Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
prob is you gotta sustain the NCAA success. problem with st joes and la salle...1 yr wonders. gotta pull of a zags/X. get a few years of deep runs.

thats how you get the top level talent. gotta prove you're dancing and advancing on a regular basis.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont put much value in making the Sweet-16 in helping our recruiting. Will it hurt? No. But will it change the needle significantly enough to notice? Probably not.

SJU went to the Sweet-16 and Elite 8 under Martelli in the latter 90s and early 2000s. Richmond made the Sweet-16 two years ago and LaSalle last year.

All three programs are pretty much exactly what they were before that success: back to their own water level.

To continue Chris' point. I have some connections in college basketball whether it be assistant coaches, directors of basketball ops ect. When Dayton comes up, they all say the same thing. The 1 thing holding Dayton back is on the court success. One coach has even said if UD made the dance 2-3 straight years that the "flood gates" could open as far as recruits. But Chris is right, 1 year might not make a huge difference, it may get us in the door, but we need to prove this wasn't a fluke so that getting in the door turns into signing top recruits.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
swish61 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Major General

Yeah, but I think Archie is a better recruiter than he guys at the helm of those teams. So in theory, I think he could take advantage. VCU under Shaka and Butler before Stevens left stepped up the caliber of recruit they were bringing in after making their runs I think. Longer track record of success but Mark Few capitalized on success, and got better recruits, which enabled continued success...
Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, but I think Archie is a better recruiter than he guys at the helm of those teams. So in theory, I think he could take advantage. VCU under Shaka and Butler before Stevens left stepped up the caliber of recruit they were bringing in after making their runs I think. Longer track record of success but Mark Few capitalized on success, and got better recruits, which enabled continued success...
I agree, but Butler and VCU were already trending up when their runs happened. Capel put VCU on the map, Grant improved on that, and Shaka made a run with Grants players. It was similar at Butler for Stevens. Stevens did build on prior success.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Stevens didn't built on prior success.
Stevens took Butler to 2 consecutive NCAA Finals...if that's not building on prior success, nothing is.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Stevens took Butler to 2 consecutive NCAA Finals...if that's not building on prior success, nothing is.
You are correct, that was a typo on my part. It should have said built on prior success.
rollo (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Jabir has pointed out that it started for him when they got their first recruit they were not supposed to get. He was referring to Ross in this case.

Maybe the extra attention will make the difference to one recruit and that starts the ball rolling
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (03-24-2014), FLYER5 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Where making the sweet sixteen would help is with the recruit who is on the fence. I think of Ryan Luther, a recruit that got away to Pitt at the last minute. Obviously Luther had reasons for choosing Pitt once they decided to make a run at him but knowing that he was giving up on a Dayton team that got all the hype of making a sweet sixteen might have made his decision just that more difficult and brought him to Dayton. Would he make the same decision in April that he made in November, who knows?
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Jabir has pointed out that it started for him when they got their first recruit they were not supposed to get. He was referring to Ross in this case.

Maybe the extra attention will make the difference to one recruit and that starts the ball rolling
I think we have done that with the men's team though, but it hasn't translated into further success. I would say Wright and Staten were players that we weren't supposed to get. Granted these two were local guys and Ross was not.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Staten and wright were local kids and IMO that was the difference. Want to see it with kids not from Dayton.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Colonel

It is Duke!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
It is Duke!
Good choice.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Major

Fair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really nice
Good luck, Duke has a lot of H.S. All Americans to beat out.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Major General

It is Duke!
I thought I was supposed to be surprised. Good luck with the meat grinder dude. Hope it works out.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute

I respectfully disagree Chris. St. Joe's, LaSalle, and Richmond do not have (1) a private plane taking them to all games like top 25 schools (this matters to kids); (2) top-notch facilities like top 25 schools; (3) a rabid fan base traveling extremely well that packs 12k+ at home games, 1500 students meeting the bus at 320am like top 25 programs; (4) graduation rates at 100% unlike top 25 programs :-); (5) 3 NBA players who graduated within the last 5 years like top 25 programs; (6) etc, etc.

We have been missing some NCAA success, I truly believe this COULD be the tipping point for the program. We still need 1-2 things: (1) make the NCAA 2 of the next 3 years and get at least 2 wins over those next 3 years; and (2) ideally a move up to the Big East.

But I think with Archie and all the great investment in the program, this Sweet 16 run could be the tipping point for the program.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM
General

Can't really fault a kid for choosing Duke, good luck young man, if it doesn't work, perhaps they'll be room back home in the future.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't make too big of a deal about charter planes. These are regional jets that are run by sub contractors to Delta and other airlines. They are cramped and not comfortable for the players (just like commercial flights). They sell some seats to boosters to help cover costs. Probably the price of the charter is not much that much higher than commercial.

The advantages are they let the players stay in class longer and get back to class faster.

A few years ago, the regular charter was not available for the Ole Miss road game. An NBA charter jet was substituted. As I understand, it was plush.

I don't consider the charter service a perk for the players but rather a logistics improvement.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM
General

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
I respectfully disagree Chris. St. Joe's, LaSalle, and Richmond do not have (1) a private plane taking them to all games like top 25 schools (this matters to kids); (2) top-notch facilities like top 25 schools; (3) a rabid fan base traveling extremely well that packs 12k+ at home games, 1500 students meeting the bus at 320am like top 25 programs; (4) graduation rates at 100% unlike top 25 programs :-); (5) 3 NBA players who graduated within the last 5 years like top 25 programs; (6) etc, etc.

We have been missing some NCAA success, I truly believe this COULD be the tipping point for the program. We still need 1-2 things: (1) make the NCAA 2 of the next 3 years and get at least 2 wins over those next 3 years; and (2) ideally a move up to the Big East.

But I think with Archie and all the great investment in the program, this Sweet 16 run could be the tipping point for the program.
I agree with most of that, its why VCU has been able to sustain their success compared to George Mason, VCU has a nice arena, they're building top notch practice facilities, they have a rabid fan base that travels well and allows them into the same ESPN type exempt tournaments that UD plays in, etc... LaSalle and Saint Joes don't have those same things, which makes it harder to duplicate success and impress the recruits who do show up on campus now that they "know your name".
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I don't consider the charter service a perk for the players but rather a logistics improvement.
If you don't consider a private plan a perk, you have never been on a private plane..... And it is also a massive logistics improvement.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I don't make too big of a deal about charter planes. These are regional jets that are run by sub contractors to Delta and other airlines. They are cramped and not comfortable for the players (just like commercial flights). They sell some seats to boosters to help cover costs. Probably the price of the charter is not much that much higher than commercial.

The advantages are they let the players stay in class longer and get back to class faster.

A few years ago, the regular charter was not available for the Ole Miss road game. An NBA charter jet was substituted. As I understand, it was plush.

I've seen various collegiate athletic teams in various airports around the country, even if the accomadations are similar on their charter flights, its definently a perk over flying coach with a bunch of people with no connection to the school.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
If you don't consider a private plan a perk, you have never been on a private plane..... And it is also a massive logistics improvement.
I've been on a few private planes in my life, including the UD charter.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
A chartered plane is not like a private jet. It is basically the same as a commercial jet just without the strangers. They are not as nice as the perception makes them seem.
SeasonTicketFan (03-24-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Just read on ESPN that Eron Harris is transferring from West Viginia. He wants to be closer to his home in Indianapolis.
He seems like he has become a pretty good scorer, maybe we could be in the mix?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...a-mountaineers
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swish61 View Post
Just read on ESPN that Eron Harris is transferring from West Viginia. He wants to be closer to his home in Indianapolis.
He seems like he has become a pretty good scorer, maybe we could be in the mix?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...a-mountaineers
Would be surprised if he doesn't end up at IU, especially with them losing 2 players (1 to NBA, 1 to transfer) in the last week.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Major General

Mass defections at Butler too. So he's got options in Indiana.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Mass defections at Butler too. So he's got options in Indiana.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...utler/6840167/
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Major General

An update of sorts on recruit Aubrey Dawkins:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...well-from-son/
Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Major

flyers/avs has a spectacular aura aboutflyers/avs has a spectacular aura about
An update of sorts on recruit Aubrey Dawkins:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...well-from-son/
Dawkins is also being recruited by Pepperdine, Montana, Utah State and the College of Charleston.

Really?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Captain

FlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flyers/avs View Post
Dawkins is also being recruited by Pepperdine, Montana, Utah State and the College of Charleston.

Really?
Kind of what I was thinking. A bit of an underwhelming list for the amount of times I've seen his name mentioned. Now I know players like BRob, CJ, and DMO wont overly recruited either, but it's still a cause for concern from me.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Major General

I like the sound of him a lot. Smart, versatile kid who has put on muscle and hit a growth spurt -- the prototypical late bloomer. Can play the 2 or 3, which would be ideal for Dayton as we'll need minutes behind both Sibert and Pierre next year. Being the son of a coach/ former high level player bodes well too.

From http://roundballrundownreport.com/

Aubrey Dawkins – 6’4 Shooting Guard – New Hampton Prep – Palo Alto, California 2014
The son of another coach, Aubrey Dawkins was a giant standout and breakout performer over the weekend in Providence. Sporting a quality physique and playmaking abilities at the tin, the one question mark surrounding the North Carolina native has always been in his shot making from behind the arc. The son of Stanford head coach, Johnny Dawkins, the younger Dawkins erased all questions surrounding his long range attempt and in his final outing in Rhode Island, hit on four 3’s and at one time, had scored 28 of his squad’s 52 points. The senior is a well-rounded individual with a high end intellect, both on and off the floor, and brings an added wealth to the APR structure that frightens so many college coaches surrounding a program’s cumulative GPA. The New Hampton Prep senior currently holds eight low and mid-major offers, though has recently been in touch with Boston College and VCU. Dawkins seems like a definite mid-major plus recruit, at the very least, and would really excel in an appropriate system in a conference like the Atlantic 10 next year.

Highlight Tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw4dUsWSjI0

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-25-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
If Archie likes him. I like him.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Just off the Jet

PJN68 is infamous around these partsPJN68 is infamous around these parts
I disagree with Chris with regard to the impact a sweet 16 run can have on recruiting immediately. Certainly long term sustainability is the key but I believe we can get a couple really good recruits out of the next 4 we have available. Better recruits than we have had the opporunity to get over the past many years.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
General

I'm in the camp that Dayton needs another guy capable of playing PG next season. Perhaps Darryl Davis is that guy, don't know, certainly Kyle Davis doesn't appear to be that (though I love what he brings to the team in terms of energy and defense, just strikes me as more of a Mark Lyons type of player, not a PG) but with Khari's knees it would be wise to have a 3rd option.

With that said, if you were a PG recruit, how hard would you consider UD knowing that Khari will be here for your first 2 seasons and Scoochie for your first 3. Khari is steady as a rock, Scooch looks like a future stud once he puts on some muscle and improves his shot, so you're looking at being a role player for a couple of years before potentially getting serious playing time. It would be hard to choose UD in that scenerio unless your other options were significantly lower than UD in prestige. I don't know if this is a possibility, but I wouldn't mind redshirting a PG if the rest afforded Khari's knees this offseason means he enters next season in good health.

Finally, with all that said, Khari was an overlooked recruit, he didn't have any big offers; he signed in the spring with little fan fair. Khari has certainly been more than solid for UD. He's not going to beat a bunch of guys off the dribble, but he'll make solid decisions, play you tough on defense when his knees allow and he'll knock down an open jumper.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyers/avs View Post

Really?
Kids with a name tend to get overrated if anything. I am not impressed with who is after him. He sounds like MAC level.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
D Davis is legit PG option. Kyle can play some spare minutes there if needed. PG seems to be filled to me. Need a 6'7 to 6'8 PF pretty bad. That has to be first priority
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-25-2014), jack72 (03-25-2014), m21eagle45 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Major General

I think combo guard for this class (Darrell Davis), point guard for the year after.

For the incoming class would like to see a wing player / bigger guard added, and then possibly a transfer / or just can't miss best available impact player regardless of position.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Major General

Kids with a name tend to get overrated if anything. I am not impressed with who is after him. He sounds like MAC level.
Not always. See Seth Curry. He wanted a big offer. Biggest he got was Davidson.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
D Davis is legit PG option. Kyle can play some spare minutes there if needed. PG seems to be filled to me. Need a 6'7 to 6'8 PF pretty bad. That has to be first priority
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely..Priority #1-10......After watching the BIGS this year, and while we've seen some improvement, there's nothing that tells me that JR and, especially, Scott are going to improve drastically....I think we'll see an improved JR next year but after him it's Scott and a freshman.

Need a strong, physical 6'7"-6'9" kid next year off the JUCO ranks..
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Any chance the big schools are staying away from Dawkins because his dad is a coach at a big school??????
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
There is no question that long term success gives you an advantage when recruiting. But, the staff has been in contact with a lot of recruits. Those who might have been considering UD could certainly raise UD from #3 to #1 on their list after reaching the sweet sixteen. And opposing coaches can't say "if you want to play in the tournament don't go to dayton"

With the coaching changes we could also pick someone up who decommits when their coach leaves.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Absolutely..Priority #1-10......After watching the BIGS this year, and while we've seen some improvement, there's nothing that tells me that JR and, especially, Scott are going to improve drastically....I think we'll see an improved JR next year but after him it's Scott and a freshman.

Need a strong, physical 6'7"-6'9" kid next year off the JUCO ranks..
I would wait to see who transfers before I look for a big from the JUCO ranks. Wasn't Thiago Cordeiro a high ranked JUCO player?
Flyer 86 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I would wait to see who transfers before I look for a big from the JUCO ranks. Wasn't Thiago Cordeiro a high ranked JUCO player?
Doesn't AM have 1-2 openings even without a transfer? Would rather have a JUCO experienced BIG player at this point in time unless you get a kid from D2/ NAIA that can also play immediately....
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Any chance the big schools are staying away from Dawkins because his dad is a coach at a big school??????
If history tells us anything, Bob Huggins will offer in the next 15 minutes.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Major General

Matt Derenbecker already transferred twice this week!
jack72 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Michal Cekovsky, a 7'0 PF from Canarias Academy has shot up from the 35th best to the 6th best PF on 247 Sports composite. He has five offers with L'Ville being the favorite over the Terps. Umm, Sean has an offer in to him though from 'Zona..
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM
General of the Air Force

This run has been a great advertisement that Archie will play you as a freshman if you earn that time. I think that this will help a lot with recruiting in the 2014 and 2015 classes. Archie and his assistants have been fighting an uphill battle in recruiting until now. The skids should have some grease on them now.

Sibert's comments about going to a basketball school instead of a football school have probably been heard by possible transfers.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-28-2014), FIFO28 (03-29-2014), Flyer 86 (03-28-2014), jack72 (03-28-2014), mikeymo85 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Wonder what Aubrey Dawkins is thinking today?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-28-2014), CE80 (03-28-2014), westchesterflyer (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
General of the Air Force

I don't think Thiago was a juco, think he was signed from a high school near miami.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
General

Thaigo was a JUCO, I think he racked up a lot of blocks in the 2nd division of Juco basketball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2014), FLYER5 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Colonel

Dude from Franklin may "decommit".
Mad Props to Falcon7 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Thaigo was a JUCO, I think he racked up a lot of blocks in the 2nd division of Juco basketball.
Tks, I was confusing him with someone else!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Dude from Franklin may "decommit".
why settle for Duke?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
While the iron is hot and THE University of Dayton is in the national limelight, we need to maximize our opportunity to talk to a top recruit. The Dallas News writes "Myles Turner, Euless Trinity, Sr. C, 6'11", Stats: The District 6-5A MVP averaged a double-double with 18.1 points and 12.2 rebounds. He also added 6.8 blocks and 3.5 assists per game. Did you know? Turner, a McDonald's All American, is the top uncommitted recruit in the nation. He is ranked second in the 2014 class by Scout and ESPN." So, Archie Miller, after the season is over, needs to catch the next flight to Dallas, Texas and talk to this guy. What's the worst that the guy can say? Take a risk! You never know until you ask.
Does an Elite 8 move the needle here at all? Do we have any shot?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Does an Elite 8 move the needle here at all? Do we have any shot?
My question is why would AM need to catch a flight to Dallas when he's already going to be there?
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-28-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-28-2014), mook (03-28-2014), redbengal (03-29-2014), Tony T 71 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM
2nd Lieutenant

OSUdaytonFAN will become famous soon enough
Heard Jaaron Simmons is going to transfer to UD
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
If true, that would give us 3 PG's in two years, Khari as a Sr, Scooch as a Jr. and Simmons as a Soph. More importantly though, and again if true, is he any good?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 PM
General

UD recruited him out of HS a bit, but he was behind Scoochie on the PG wish list, perhaps a few others. It also seemed like Simmons was always waiting for something bigger. I only saw 1 Houston game this season, but he looked ok. I know they fired their coach; didn't know he was looking to transfer. He played about 11 min a game, shot 34% from the field, only 1-8 from the 3 point line (I remember him being a better shooter than that in HS, but things change as the competition gets better, a lot of frosh struggle early on, including Scoochie.) 37/28 assist/to ratio, 24/34 from the charity stripe. Wouldn't be a bad guy to bring in as a transfer, let him sit out a year add weight, improve his shot a bit, IIRC, he's pretty quick, not afraid to get into traffic, good handel, etc... Not sure how much he'd play his 1st season eligible here, but he'd be in line to get a lot of playing time his junior season and possibly start as a senior depending on who else Archie recruits.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by OSUdaytonFAN View Post
Is that the best we can do?
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
So if we were not in the elite 8, would we be settling for Richard Simmons????
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Is that the best we can do?
If it is true he is coming here, all I will say is if Archie wants him at UD, I want him at UD.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2014), Pronto (03-28-2014), ruechalgrin (03-29-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
That's interesting, where did you hear that?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
2nd Lieutenant

OSUdaytonFAN will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
That's interesting, where did you hear that?
My brother is friends with current Alter coach Eric Coulter and this is what he told him.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSUdaytonFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-28-2014), frisco flyer (03-28-2014), lhsgolf19 (03-28-2014), ruechalgrin (03-29-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
My brother is friends with current Alter coach Eric Coulter and this is what he told him.
Double interesting ha... Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Major General

Jaaron certainly didn't make much of an impact in his freshman year at Houston.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Captain

KYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Jaaron certainly didn't make much of an impact in his freshman year at Houston.
Yea, nothing compared to Sibert at OSU or Sanford at GT their freshman years
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by KYFlyer View Post
Yea, nothing compared to Sibert at OSU or Sanford at GT their freshman years
Houston isn't exactly Ohio State or Georgetown
Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 AM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
If it is true he is coming here, all I will say is if Archie wants him at UD, I want him at UD.
In Archie We Trust!
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 AM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like Simmons stock was higher earlier in his high school career. I remember reading some article that made it seem like he'd be a likely BCS level guy
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Archie and company were right on sibert and sanford. I'll trust them
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Brigadier General

Oh, absolutely. I'll greet the news when it's more iron-clad, though.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
What more proof do we need?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-29-2014), springborofan (03-29-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Major General

Props to OSUdaytonFan. Everything but the "to UD" part confirmed so far...

https://twitter.com/FlyerHoops/statu...08502849232896
OSUdaytonFAN (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 PM
General

That would pretty much rule out Lewis. I don't know how the 2 compare specifically, but Simmons carried Alter on his back his senior season, he knows what he's walking into, 1 year off, 1 year with 2 PGs ahead of him on the roster, then 2 years with only Scoochie to share minutes with. Hopefully he also knows what he has to work on. I always found it interesting when Sibert discussed how he realized he needed to work on his shot, so he set out to do just that during his season off, and he steps right in hitting 3 pointers at a great clip.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:22 PM

team could IMO use a SG/SF type and a PF.

With Davis coming in and Price and Smith already here another PG is WAY down the list.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I would also give Archie the benefit of the doubt, but it's not like every recruit has been a home run. I don't think I need to name names, but Houston was a bad team in the AAC this year, and he wasn't good enough to play much on that team. If he's going to transfer back to the area, I would think it would be to Miami or NKU or something.

But I guess we'll see.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Major General

Some guys out there that Dayton may be looking at. I'm no expert and haven't evaluated much, but here is how I'd rank them in terms of preference.

1) Marial Shayok. Extremely versatile like DMO. 6'6" and I have seen him projected as a 2, a 3, and a 4 by different evaluators. Versatile guy who stuffs a stat sheet in every category. I believe Pierre was ranked the 6th best Canadian prospect in his class. For comparison, Shayok is viewed as the 3rd best Canadian in the 2014 class. Getting him keeps the pipeline going to a talent pool that is really emerging. Dayton recruited at one point, and he's the son of former UD player Makor Shayok. He's a Marquette commit, but has let it be known that he's leaning towards getting out of his release after Buzz Williams left him high and dry. Perfect roster fit. His versatility allows Dayton to bank or use the last scholarship for best available talent regardless of position. 4 years of eligibility.

2) Aubrey Dawkins. He can play the 2. He can play the 3. He can play next year. Son of a coach's kid, very smart. 4 years of eligibility.

3) Eron Harris. A priority recruit who opted to play for Huggins at WVU. I like using one of our ships on an upperclassman transfer who is a great scorer knowing we have one more year of Sibert. Tough competition for him. 2 years of eligibility.

4) Nolan Cressler. Cornell transfer who scored at will against big time programs. Dayton has reached out to him. Similar to Eron, lots of BCS programs after him hard. 2 years of eligibility.

5) Tyler Harris. Special talent. You just make room for him even if not a position of need. 2 years of eligibility.

6) Ian Chiles. I put him on the list because he's a 5th year transfer, 1 year of immediate eligibility. Averaged about 16/game for a dreadful IUPUI team. A guard who is looking to play up a level. Grew up in Louisville so I think Dayton would appeal to him. And I think he could give us some scoring punch on the bench to replace Vee Sanford's instant offense.

7) Jaaron Simmons. I'm not so sure we need him. 3 years of eligibility is a plus. I can see it but think it might be best to use scholly at another position unless it is a McDonald's All American talent (i.e. Tyler Harris)

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-01-2014 at 02:07 PM..
FLYER5 (04-01-2014), Glen Clark (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Major General

Some guys out there that Dayton may be looking at. I'm no expert and haven't evaluated much, but here is how I'd rank them in terms of preference.

1) Marial Shayok. Extremely versatile like DMO. 6'6" and I have seen him projected as a 2, a 3, and a 4 by different evaluators. Versatile guy who stuffs a stat sheet in every category. I believe Pierre was ranked the 6th best Canadian prospect in his class. For comparison, Shayok is viewed as the 3rd best Canadian in the 2014 class. Getting him keeps the pipeline going to a talent pool that is really emerging. Dayton recruited at one point, and he's the son of former UD player Makor Shayok. He's a Marquette commit, but has let it be known that he's leaning towards getting out of his release after Buzz Williams left him high and dry. Perfect roster fit. His versatility allows Dayton to bank or use the last scholarship for best available talent regardless of position. 4 years of eligibility.

2) Aubrey Dawkins. He can play the 2. He can play the 3. He can play next year. Son of a coach's kid, very smart. 4 years of eligibility.

3) Eron Harris. A priority recruit who opted to play for Huggins at WVU. I like using one of our ships on an upperclassman transfer who is a great scorer knowing we have one more year of Sibert. Tough competition for him. 2 years of eligibility.

4) Nolan Cressler. Cornell transfer who scored at will against big time programs. Dayton has reached out to him. Similar to Eron, lots of BCS programs after him hard. 2 years of eligibility.

5) Tyler Harris. Special talent. You just make room for him even if not a position of need. 2 years of eligibility.
6) Ian Chiles. I put him on the list because he's a 5th year transfer, 1 year of immediate eligibility. Averaged about 16/game for a dreadful IUPUI team. A guard who is looking to play up a level. Grew up in Louisville so I think Dayton would appeal to him. And I think he could give us some scoring punch on the bench to replace Vee Sanford's instant offense.

7) Jaaron Simmons. I'm not so sure we need him. 3 years of eligibility is a plus. I can see it but think it might be best to use scholly at another position unless it is a McDonald's All American talent (i.e. Tyler Harris)
I totally disagree. I know this is the huge debate when you recruit/draft on need or top player on the board. With this team, it just seems that there are specific needs at the SG/SF and PF spots that would trump taking the best player available, especially since that would put him in Scoochie's class. Losing two PG's in a year would be tough. I do agree with you having Shayok number 1. I think he would be a huge get and fill a major need at the wing.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM
General

I thought Eron Harris had 3 years of eligibility left; I thought he was a frosh. Am I remembering wrong?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Eron...I'd take him

Season............pts......rbs.........3's%....... ..FT%

2012-13...........9.8......2.3.......35.2%.....77.2%
2013-14..........17.2.....3.5........42.2%....85.6%

1 problem: Huggins gave him the green light to shoot whenever and wherever he was...he took 317 shots last season which is almost 100 more than our leading shot taker, Sibert. Archie isn't likely to let someone shoot whenever they want and Eron might not blend in with the system.

I'd still take him!

Last edited by rollo; 04-01-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Major General

If he made 42% on 3's by taking shots whenever he wanted, I'd love to see that number with some discipline.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM
General

The king with the lowdown, guess I was wrong, Eron had been there 2 seasons. the problem isn't the number of shots a player takes, its how effiecient he is with those shots, seems like he'd be pretty efficient at those 3 point and free throw clips, I'm sure there are stats somewhere to back that up or not.

I'd definently take Eron harris, he said he wanted to get closer to his little brother. I don't know if there is a medical issue there, or just wants to be closer to home. Taking it at face value, UD is an easier trip back to Indy than WVU, but so is Butler, IU and Purdue. I would think Butler would be on his radar, amongst others.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
General of the Air Force

awesome list thanks

we could really use a power forward next year but if we can't get a good one then lets get best available

Last edited by UDBrian; 04-01-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Major General

I totally disagree. I know this is the huge debate when you recruit/draft on need or top player on the board. With this team, it just seems that there are specific needs at the SG/SF and PF spots that would trump taking the best player available, especially since that would put him in Scoochie's class. Losing two PG's in a year would be tough. I do agree with you having Shayok number 1. I think he would be a huge get and fill a major need at the wing.
I agree there is a specific need at SG/SF and that should be the top priority in looking at guys who are out there requiring a scholarship next season. But if you can get a wing with one scholly, I do not think PF is a need that has to be addressed this year with the other.

Honestly, we have four guys on the roster who are actually 4s in Jalen, Pollard, Scott, and Gavrilovic not counting Pierre who could play there and I won't count him because we're so thin at the 3. Scott and Gavrilovic are going to play more as 5s with McElvane but I'm alright with 5 guys to man the 4 and 5.

What I'm not okay with is having just one guy (Pierre) who is really a 3. Sibert or Pollard could play for a few minutes there a game, but that's the hole in the roster right now. Pierre's back up.

Give me that and I'm okay with just about any other use or non-use of the last scholarship.
FLYER5 (04-01-2014), m21eagle45 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM
General

I have no idea if there are legs to the rumor that Gavs will transfer, but on average, each team losses 1 kid to transferring out each season, so it wouldn't be a surprise if someone transferred out from the current roster. If that is the case, Archie probably already knows, so we could be talking about 3 open scholarships.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I have no idea if there are legs to the rumor that Gavs will transfers.
didn't know there was a rumor but I guess there is one now.
Closed Thread