Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
The last two posts by cj2etc and NJ71 are enough to stop the presses! You guys bring the goods. It's not hard to find goods on the Millers but your posts bring it clearer into focus. The big picture that is. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
I really don't understand how UD went from 330,000 prior to last years run, upto 672,00. At this point, I can understand the 672 figure, but that means they doubled it, prior to any NCAA appearances, let alone runs. I would have to think, anything over $750,000 through next year, plus a renegotiation in combined terms over the next 5-7 years, would be too much. Anything beyond that, I consider too much at this point.
Understanding the numbers is important. These figures are taken from available tax returns, and are not current by any means.

Based on Calender years
2011- $330,000 (Part-Year, Year Archie was hired)
2012- $672,000 (First Full Calender Year)
2013- ?
2014- ? (Archie received a raise and extension)
2015- ???

Not really going out on limb when I guess that Archie is already making well over $750K.

With these past two NCAA tournament appearances, next year the A10 will receive $1,823,675.00 for UD's 7 units, which means UD's cut at 75% will be $1,367,756.25. Anything over $750K is too much? That's rather laughable.

Last edited by bcross; 03-24-2015 at 11:39 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-24-2015), Flyer 86 (05-03-2015), FlyerinChicago (03-24-2015), San Diego Flyer (03-24-2015), T-Bone 84 (03-24-2015), UD Sam (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Texas is a blue-blood tried and true. Don't know how anyone would remove them from the top-tier jobs. Top five easy factoring in all athletics. Deeper pockets than we could imagine, plus all the perks of Austin, TX.? It would surprise me if UT came calling for Archie though. I'm not so sure they [BOD] would want a budding prodigy in favor of the old guard type selection.
If Texas is ready to move on from Barnes, I really think Gregg Marshall is the obvious target. Marshall's success at Wichita State has largely been with guys he's recruited out of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas which would be attractive for Texas. Alabama wants Marshall, but I doubt he goes there. Now, I do think, Archie would be somewhere on the list of folks Texas would be interested in, but my guess is they'll get their number one guy, and it'll be Gregg Marshall. But I've been wrong on Marshall before. He's stayed at Wichita State longer than I would have guessed.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Why do some continue to imply that UD will not give Archie an increase. They did last year. If he is getting one, it is being discussed now, and would not be public yet. Patience.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I get that, but assuming Archie has a list of a handful of dream destination jobs, and he's not offered any of them, does taking another gig get him any closer to that dream job? I don't think so. He has things rolling downhill. Why uproot your family for an interim stop?
For the most part, I don't think Archie takes an "interim" job, unless (a) it's one of the schools I listed above, or (b) Flyer Nation stops showing him "the love" in terms of support, patience, and $.

Understand - I'm a "gray area" kind of guy, who generally doesn't see situations as "cut & dried". And I realize there are other factors that will play into Archie's choice of employer. But I see Archie as a hard-working guy from a blue-collar part of the world, who isn't going to have his head turned by the glitz & glamour of "Brand Name X State University". I think it's going to take a school that's passionate about their hoops, that will provide him with the resources to succeed at the highest level of college basketball. And that's why I think you can count on two hands the number of schools for which he'll leave Dayton - no feet needed.

Plus, look at the history here @ UD:
- DD. HOF coach, forced-out after 25 mostly successful years. Still an honored member of the hoops community.
- JOB. Fired after 5 mostly unsuccessful years.
- OP. Left on his own after 8 years, taking the program from the pits back to the NCAAs in 2 of his last 4 years. Didn't have the resources the U is providing to the program now.
- BG. Left on his own after 8 generally successful years, but with some degree of underachievement. UD was very patient with him, and provided him with steadily increasing resources, but the ROI just wasn't there in his last few years at the helm.
-AM. Here 4 years. The U is giving him resources that none of his predecessors had, to compete at as high a level as the U can sustain.

5 coaches in 50 years. The last 2 (prior to AM) were here a combined 16 years, left on their own after 8 years each, and were receiving steadily increasing support from the U and the community as a whole up to the point of their departure. That's a sign of a program that's committed to success, but patient enough to not expect it to happen overnight.

Yes, we're passionate about the program. But we're also realistic enough to know that UD isn't going to win the national championship every year, and we're generally patient enough to give our coach time to develop his program and his people. And we're not a "hot & cold" fan base, where you might draw 15,000/game in the good times but only 8,000/game when times get tough. We've been showing-up 10,000-12,000 strong for 46 straight years, through some very good times and a few very wretched times. That sort of support is appealing to a number of coaches. So far, it seems Archie is one of those. Hopefully, that will continue until his true "oyster with the pearl" finally emerges.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-24-2015), bobber (03-25-2015), Flyer2 (03-30-2015), FLYER5 (03-24-2015), Radar (03-24-2015), rollo (03-24-2015), ruechalgrin (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
2014-15 Archie's total package is roughly $1 million (within 10% or so)
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Dayton should be the best program in either the A10 and/or big east; but that will likely not include 1.5 million for Archie from UD in the next few years. That's a bunch, and to suggest he is currently worth more than Few, McDermott, or Martelli, would be somewhat over stated. I really don't understand how UD went from 330,000 prior to last years run, upto 672,00. At this point, I can understand the 672 figure, but that means they doubled it, prior to any NCAA appearances, let alone runs. I would have to think, anything over $750,000 through next year, plus a renegotiation in combined terms over the next 5-7 years, would be too much. Anything beyond that, I consider too much at this point.

However, nothing to stop that contract from including 1million for particular accomplishments in the coming years. But I don't think UD is about to give a head coach with four years head coaching experience $1.5 million. Not happening!
Pecora was hired at $750K. Agree that Archie should make market rate, but $672K isn't market. Not given what he's done so far.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
-AM. Here 4 years. The U is giving him resources that none of his predecessors had, to compete at as high a level as the U can sustain.
I'm curious what resources AM has that BG didn't before? I know there has always been a lot of talk about what the administration did/didn't do to support the program (especially when we struggled), so I'd like to know what is being done now that wasn't before.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
dnutz77 (03-30-2015), Gazoo (03-24-2015), ud2 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
I'm wondering if Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, Gonzaga or Butler fans have a running
"will the coach leave?" topic on their message boards. Archie isn't going anywhere for awhile guys...he's in this WITH us. He gets it. Understands our passion and desire to be a great basketball school....and he KNOWS he can make it happen (it already is after just 2 years on the job) He's **** young, and only going to get better. In 10 years he'll still be relatively young for a head coach. Someday he may leave, but should he want to coach another 25 years, there is plenty of time to make Dayton a top tier program, and still coach for 10-15 years at the so called dream job you all speak of. I would be absolutely floored if he left in a year or two after what he's humbly said about his job. I believe he's here for awhile guys....let's enjoy it and stop fretting like a bunch of school girls always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-24-2015), CJ2etc (03-24-2015), College B-Ball Fan (03-25-2015), dnutz77 (03-24-2015), Drugs Delaney (03-24-2015), Flyer2 (03-24-2015), UD Sam (03-25-2015), UD62 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
110 comments on 3 jobs that are not available. Last I checked, Texas, OSU, and IU have not made a move on their head coaching positions. Further it's not like Barnes and Crean haven't been successful. I suppose Matta's health could be a issue. I guess that's why it's called March Madness.
Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
I'm wondering if Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, Gonzaga or Butler fans have a running
"will the coach leave?" topic on their message boards.
Did you really throw Butler in on this?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Academy Doolie

CSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud ofCSIbooster has much to be proud of
Arizona State just fired Herb Sendek, I understand...
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
It's officially the off-season . . .

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-25-2015), Glen Clark (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
"will the coach leave?" topic on their message boards. Archie isn't going anywhere for awhile guys...he's in this WITH us. He gets it. Understands our passion and desire to be a great basketball school....and he KNOWS he can make it happen (it already is after just 2 years on the job) He's **** young, and only going to get better. In 10 years he'll still be relatively young for a head coach. Someday he may leave, but should he want to coach another 25 years, there is plenty of time to make Dayton a top tier program, and still coach for 10-15 years at the so called dream job you all speak of. I would be absolutely floored if he left in a year or two after what he's humbly said about his job. I believe he's here for awhile guys....let's enjoy it and stop fretting like a bunch of school girls always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Are we really comparing UD to Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, Gonzaga, and Butler?

I drink the UD kool-aide, but wow ... UD has made huge strides the last two years, but we are not in the same stratosphere in terms of perception (or results the last 10, 20, 30 years) as these 5 programs.

BTW, Butler fans were constantly worried Stevens would leave; and Gonzaga lost a number of great coaches who put their program on the map until Few (and Butler, Xavier, etc. lost a number of great coaches and were always worried that the likes of Matta, Sean Miller, etc. would leave).

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 03-24-2015 at 03:56 PM..
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Including Syracuse is funny, considering their coach just ANNOUNCED that he is leaving in three years.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Some of the Arizona State newspapers have been reading udpride.com about how great the Dayton gig is!

http://arizonasports.com/58/1819254/...h-Sad-but-true

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...oach/70381600/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-24-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/why-da...014637009.html
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Archie was certainly a great hire for UD. Once in a generation IMO, hopefully he stays that long (however, I am a realist).
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
interesting that both Xs coach and Archie Miller come up in this article. Also I found it amusing that they list numerous reasons it will not be Archie, no reasons for why not the X coach.

"There's one name that a lot of people like to throw out as Sendek's replacement: Archie Miller. Since he's a former ASU assistant doing well as a head coach, it makes sense to a lot of fans. There's one catch: it would make no sense for Archie Miller. The University of Dayton has a gorgeous arena, great basketball facilities, sold-out crowds and a passionate fan base. Why would a coach leave that for the ASU job? The last two Dayton coaches have left for ACC jobs. Archie Miller is not leaving one of the best mid-major jobs in the country to coach/recruit against his brother Sean."
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
"Archie Miller is not leaving one of the best mid-major jobs in the country to coach/recruit against his brother Sean."

Mid-major????
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW, "Mid-Major" seems to be the catchall term for any school that is not part of the "Big-5" FB playing conferences. It's the mind set of those schools and their fans/alums.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is a mid-major. When it breaks that mold as Gonzaga did, UD will be considered a high-major. Butler is still struggling with it, as is X imo. If we could look up to say Wichita State instead of the heralded programs I believe we as fans would have a better perspective of where we actually reside in the grand scheme.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Sendek.....

Originally Posted by CSIbooster View Post
Arizona State just fired Herb Sendek, I understand...
All the more reason to expect that Archie will be here for a while!
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Gonzaga gets called a Mid-Major all the time.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is a mid-major. When it breaks that mold as Gonzaga did, UD will be considered a high-major. Butler is still struggling with it, as is X imo. If we could look up to say Wichita State instead of the heralded programs I believe we as fans would have a better perspective of where we actually reside in the grand scheme.
People that actually use the term "high major" usually include Dayton as well. Gonzaga and Dayton both get lumped in as a "mid-major" by the people who don't. It really just comes down conference.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Mid major is a school without a BCS Football Program, Archie has made that reference many times
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Brigadier General

Blue bloods would say no way Gonzaga is a high-major. I believe if there is a program that has decisively broken that mold it is the Zags. Dayton is a mid-major. Don't look foolish.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Brigadier General

I am willing to admit I could be wrong in its popular definition. It is an unknown afterall. My thing is when I was growing up Memphis State was a great program and one I would label a high-major. But they have regressed so...? Not so much..
Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
2014-15 Archie's total package is roughly $1 million (within 10% or so)
As far as what is published.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
No the offseason doesn't start until the first Gem City Jam revival post is made.
Would you plase warn us, in the future, when you are going to drop a little gem like this on us again?

I sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over the keyboard and had to use my wife's hair dryer so it wouldn't short out my computer.

Please....be careful!
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfever (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Would you plase warn us, in the future, when you are going to drop a little gem like this on us again?

I sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over the keyboard and had to use my wife's hair dryer so it wouldn't short out my computer.

Please....be careful!
I know you need things to do so I just helped you kill a morning.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Mid major is a school without a BCS Football Program, Archie has made that reference many times
Villanova? UCONN until recently? Both high-majors, so the Big Five doesn't house all high-majors.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Villanova? UCONN until recently? Both high-majors, so the Big Five doesn't house all high-majors.
. UConn does have a D1 football program, not for Nova . We will see if they are Your High Major thing due to break up of leagues. Like the old Big East
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
I hope X understands that they are still a mid-major
Old 03-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Brigadier General

. UConn does have a D1 football program, not for Nova . We will see if they are Your High Major thing due to break up of leagues. Like the old Big East
Or you could just say that your statement was wrong instead of dancing around it.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Or, he could be right. Amazingly, since there is no consensus definition, we all have somewhat of a different opinion. I choose to respect everyone's.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Or, he could be right. Amazingly, since there is no consensus definition, we all have somewhat of a different opinion. I choose to respect everyone's.
Lets reread. He wrote that Archie said that Mid-Majors are those teams which don't have BCS status. I debunked that with Villanova and until recently UConn being High-Majors from non-BCS conferences. Sure it's a gray area claim. But it's readily apparent too. Archie's was coach speak. "Hey, you guys are no different than those BCS schools." Rather than use the adjective High-Major. Coach speak.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
LOL..UCONN has played D1 football for 14 years..That's not "recently"..Trying finding "recent" facts..
Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Brigadier General

NOT BCS. Get in the game.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Lets reread. He wrote that Archie said that Mid-Majors are those teams which don't have BCS status. I debunked that with Villanova and until recently UConn being High-Majors from non-BCS conferences. Sure it's a gray area claim. But it's readily apparent too. Archie's was coach speak. "Hey, you guys are no different than those BCS schools." Rather than use the adjective High-Major. Coach speak.
LOL..Bet your favorite song is Dancing Queen re-enacted by Boy Genius, himself...You should have stopped a few posts earlier..
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Mid-major is simply a convenient "catch all" phrase for reporters, coaches and/or fans that are either too lazy or too stupid to do research on individual programs so they can lump any team outside of the original BCS teams. Simple truth, there are many teams from those original BCS conferences that wish they had the facilities and/or fan support that a team like Dayton, Xavier, Memphis, etc... have. We've seen the games at Ole Miss, GTECH, Alabama, etc.. been to their message board before games, and seen the lack of interest relative to UD basketball. Sure they all get bigger TV packages, but that is mostly based upon football interest. You think Anthony Grant would like to have the fan support he sees when he walked into UD arena down at Bama? Of course he would, but basketball interest fall somewhere behind football season, spring football season and football recruiting season.

Same thing could be said at a number of traditional power conference teams. Northwestern has never been to the NCAA tournament. What exactly about Penn St basketball screams High Major, hell they lost a coach to Navy b/c their basketball facilities got taken over by Bon Jovi. Miami (fl) only gets people to show up when Duke or UNC are in town.

Mid major is simply a term thrown out there with no real definition and unlimited boundaries.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
LOL..Bet your favorite song is Dancing Queen re-enacted by Boy Genius, himself...You should have stopped a few posts earlier..
Hey Steve, all D1 schools aren't considered BCS schools.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Back to our regularly scheduled programming

I talked with a high $ OSU Booster yesterday, who is good friends with senior staff in the AD office @ OSU. They doubt Matta leaves this season, but he has been very open and candid with them that he may not want to still be coaching in a couple more seasons.

Of course I think we once heard that no way Matta is leaving X.......so talk is real cheap.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I talked with a high $ OSU Booster yesterday, who is good friends with senior staff in the AD office @ OSU. They doubt Matta leaves this season, but he has been very open and candid with them that he may not want to still be coaching in a couple more seasons.

Of course I think we once heard that no way Matta is leaving X.......so talk is real cheap.
This can be a problem for OSU when it starts to be used against them in recruiting. They need to have a succession plan. Dave Dickerson is listed as the Associate Head Coach. Is he in line to take over the head coaching duties? Syracuse also had to get out front with what their plan is in 3 years after Boeheim leaves. They need to have a plan like UConn when Calhoun left.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Brigadier General

Dickerson may be gone before Thad retires. Development of their bigs has been stagnant considering Sullinger came to them a great ball player. That is Dickerson's responsibility. I think he will retire in the next two years, as has been mentioned.

Last edited by FLYER5; 03-26-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Colonel

Hey Steve, all D1 schools aren't considered BCS schools.
This is correct, since there are 350+ D 1 BB programs. Look we can't call Northwestern a high major in Bball even though they play in a BCS conference. That goes for a lot of school's in the so called Power 5 conferences. Its a play on words when the talking heads use the reference. Let's move on
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Brigadier General

Agreed. There is no clear definition and I too find it hard to include NW, Rutgers, Wake Forest, as high-majors. They're all sud-standard, especially when evaluating the top teams of their conferences.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Hoping news conference at 1130am Eastern is Archie extension?

Dayton True Team✈️ ‏@DaytonTrueTeam 14m14 minutes ago
Stay tuned to Twitter at 11:30am (ET) #BreakingNews #TrueTeam
9 retweets 5 favorites
Reply Retweet9 Favorite5
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-26-2015), cj (03-26-2015), FLYER5 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...bama_coac.html

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/b...coach_87426477

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...-contract.html
Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Great article about Archie.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...lumn_3-26.html
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-27-2015), SeasonTicketFan (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM
General

Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that Murray State announced the value of Prohm's package (sts), but UD leaves Archie's as "undisclosed." Guess that means if they're really interested, they'll have to be prepared to pull up to the U. with a big dump truck full of money to find out what's behind door number three.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 PM
General

Big old beotch slap to Alabama (and presumably, UT and others) from Jeff Goodman regarding Archie.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...elated_stories
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-27-2015), San Diego Flyer (03-29-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Interesting that Murray State announced the value of Prohm's package (sts), but UD leaves Archie's as "undisclosed." Guess that means if they're really interested, they'll have to be prepared to pull up to the U. with a big dump truck full of money to find out what's behind door number three.
State school vs private school
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FSUFlyer (03-30-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie would leave for the Alabama football job before he took the basketball gig
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FSUFlyer (03-30-2015), jack72 (03-29-2015), ruechalgrin (03-27-2015), The Gem (03-30-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Archie gets nice nod in NY Post bout the St. Johnnies looking for a new coach:

Archie Miller: Perhaps the biggest star among all young coaches in the country, Miller’s name is high on the list, but the Dayton coach has bigger and better job opportunities waiting for him in the future. Miller recently signed an extension with Dayton through 2022.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2015), ruechalgrin (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 AM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/s...-cheap/295855/

http://www.burntorangenation.com/bas...gregg-marshall

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 03-29-2015 at 12:29 AM..
Bat'71 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM

I assume King knows more than we do. Archie is not to be found on any candidate list(every other name you have heard is there).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...into-high-gear
Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
I like the approach Gary Parrish at CBS takes with the Tennessee job: forget Archie, Shaka and Wichita State's Gregg Marshall -- they ain't coming to UT. Then he provides a realistic list of potential candidates:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...s-at-tennessee
Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is that Wabler and Miller have a pact. Especially in light of Archie's adamant stance on not leaving at this time. All calls first go through the AD and he politely relays Archie's wishes at this time. "Not for hire". The word gets out.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer2 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBaby View Post
Archie gets nice nod in NY Post bout the St. Johnnies looking for a new coach:

Archie Miller: Perhaps the biggest star among all young coaches in the country, Miller’s name is high on the list, but the Dayton coach has bigger and better job opportunities waiting for him in the future. Miller recently signed an extension with Dayton through 2022.
I heard an interesting discussion on talk radio recently. They were talking about how St. John is a great coaching destination because of recruiting possibilities. But, the hosts started making the point that NYC is actually not a basketball hot bed. They started listing the top NY state recruits in the last 10 years and I had not heard of a large number of them.

I can't verify their source for "top recruits", but it actually rings pretty much true. I don't sense that NYC is pumping out college basketball players to the top schools. Having a campus in NYC might actually be more of a hindrance than a help.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (03-30-2015), IAFlyer (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Texas' Rick Barnes heading for Tennessee reported. That's a good move for the Vols if true.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Texas' Rick Barnes heading for Tennessee reported. That's a good move for the Vols if true.
Yeah. I gained a lot of respect for Barnes this past week when he was told to fire an assistant or lose his job, and he stayed loyal to his staff, refusing to Postorino them. Some of them tried to quit to save Rick's job, and he wouldn't let them.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-31-2015), FLYER5 (03-31-2015), Glen Clark (03-30-2015), ruechalgrin (03-30-2015), ud2 (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:11 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah. I gained a lot of respect for Barnes this past week when he was told to fire an assistant or lose his job, and he stayed loyal to his staff, refusing to Postorino them. Some of them tried to quit to save Rick's job, and he wouldn't let them.
So did I. I am not a huge fan of his coaching style, but he surely exuded a lot of class in refusing to fire an assistant to please the administration. I hope he does well at the new UT...and I hope he takes his loyal assistants with him. He might be a good fit in the SEC.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Can't say I'm surprised after reading in Parrish's article that Barnes' wife graduated from Tennessee. Happy wife, happy life?
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 AM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Time to get Tennessee back on the non-con schedule
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Can you say Don Donoher in 1989?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
Can you say Don Donoher in 1989?
I love Don Donoher, but quite frankly, he had lost touch with the game. I always thought it had something to do with his ill son. He was a good floor coach, but he struggled with recruiting in the latter years.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 AM

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/...ttle_2015.html
FLYER5 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I love Don Donoher, but quite frankly, he had lost touch with the game. I always thought it had something to do with his ill son. He was a good floor coach, but he struggled with recruiting in the latter years.
Yeah, I said at the time that it would have been nice if UD could have offered him a sabbatical, to allow him time to come to grips with his son's situation without the pressure of being a D-I HC. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Yeah, I said at the time that it would have been nice if UD could have offered him a sabbatical, to allow him time to come to grips with his son's situation without the pressure of being a D-I HC. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
That might have been an option although I never heard of such an arrangement in that kinda of position. However although DD did the U proud for quite sometime, I believe he was starting to lose the ability to recruit good to very good players. (Rick at St L was the only one I can think of and that never resulted in Rick taking the job over again)

Sometime late in his career I remember him being interviewed and he talked about how the recruiting scene had changed and they struggled with that. There may have been some lack of understanding by the Admin at the time with not having a great budget to support the activities that were need to compete in the new environment for recruits as well.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I was there 64 to 68 during the Donoher years and always thought he was an excellent floor coach. The recruiting grind, travel, commits, decommits etc. gets to them all sooner or later unless you live in a metro area with potential recruits nearby. Mullin and his assistant have already been calling around to NYC and local recruits and said the NYC will be SJU's primary recruiting area. Apparently Lavin did not.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM

I believe Lute Olsen took a leave of absence and returned to Arizona. Possibly Tarkanian was another at either UNLV or Fresno State. Both men had health/family issues.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Kellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these parts
NOT BCS. Get in the game.
BCS no longer exists.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Kellernr_XU View Post
BCS no longer exists.
Never existed. Figure that one out genius. If you would like I will use the current terminology all the time, just for you. Big Five. Is that ok?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Major General

There is a rumor being floated by Alabama folks that Archie's buyout is an astronomical amount, even for them. They are suggesting it is in the neighborhood of Tom Crean's 10-12 mil. That can't be right, can it? Would be awesome, but just can't imagine he'd agree to an amount no school could pay. Thinking this must just be Alabama's way of coming to terms with the fact that Archie isn't going there.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Major General

There is a rumor being floated by Alabama folks that Archie's buyout is an astronomical amount, even for them. They are suggesting it is in the neighborhood of Tom Crean's 10-12 mil. That can't be right, can it? Would be awesome, but just can't imagine he'd agree to an amount no school could pay. Thinking this must just be Alabama's way of coming to terms with the fact that Archie isn't going there.
Absolutely no way that can be correct..Not even half of that.....
Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I'd have trouble believing that, but it wouldn't surprise me if his buyout is structured in a manor that descends as the deal moves forward such that it could be really high this season, drop some next season, drop more after that, etc.... The only reason for Archie to agree to that is if he's 100% happy and has no desire to leave UD at the moment and such an arrangement essentially allows him to say no to other schools at the moment without having to actually say "no" in order to minimize burning any bridges he may look to cross down the road.

No idea, but something like could make sense in the current situation. Tom Crean's buyout drops sharply this summer, I suspect Tom will get creaned next offseason short of a run next March. The natives aren't happy, and its not all on the court success related but are essentially stuck with him 1 more season due to the high buy out.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-03-2015), mikeymo85 (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
I have no idea what his contract says. It might be possible there is a 2 tier
buyout though. For teams on his short list a smaller amount. Teams not on his
list a much higher amount. Alabama not being on his short list.
Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Archie's buy-out not in the same stratosphere as Crean.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 04-03-2015 at 10:31 PM..
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Bama probably doesn't like the fact that money can't seem to buy what they want. Few in Alabama care about basketball ... and that is the problem.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie not interested just yet.

Like Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel .... Once he started it, he isn't interested in moving on until his masterpiece is complete.

Ol'e Mick wanted to stick around (year after year lying on his back) to see what the ceiling looked like once all the scaffolding was taken down.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM
2nd Lieutenant

ortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really nice
Wink BAMA

Posted on there board, want i was told there going crazy, wanted a link were i got my information, then i posted a link explaining what most poeople thought of there program.,written by a national writer,not very happy.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 PM

linky?
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
2nd Lieutenant

ortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really nice
link

http://alabama.scout.com/forums/2818...ll-banter?s=14
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer
There is a rumor being floated by Alabama folks that Archie's buyout is an astronomical amount, even for them. They are suggesting it is in the neighborhood of Tom Crean's 10-12 mil. That can't be right, can it?
Maybe the buyout requires the full amount of what Archie is under contract for - he has 7 years left and if he's making 1-1.5 million that would be about right.
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
If Archie did sign a contract with a buy out as high as the rumors, I love the guy even more. What better way to show your commitment to remain a Flyer for a long time? Also, what better recruiting tool than to share this info with potential recruits, confirm your commitment to the city and program and that "I will still be here in 4 years when you graduate."

I have often wondered how often Jim Jabir and Archie talk, and if Archie listens, and realizes how great he has it in Dayton.

I am starting to believe that Archie is not using coach speak when he makes comments about his long term commitment to be a Flyer.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Wink

I hear he is making more than 1.5 thanks to some friends of the program,and its well deserved.
Mad Props to ortez52 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 PM
General

Originally Posted by ortez52 View Post
I hear he is making more than 1.5 thanks to some friends of the program,and its well deserved.
...and the Administration should be prepared to pay him more next year with another extension. Archie is phenomenal and the whole country knows it.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
When you see him in interviews as the team leaves the floor at the half, getting questions fired at him from a prepared TV interviewer fast-paced, and he answers every one just as fast right back and with solid logic, you start to appreciate this young man's special gift.

A Mozart? Hardly. He probably can't sing Happy Birthday in tune.

But he knows basketball.

Oh Yeah!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
jumpin' joe (04-04-2015), Justin (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 AM
General

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
When you see him in interviews as the team leaves the floor at the half, getting questions fired at him from a prepared TV interviewer fast-paced, and he answers every one just as fast right back and with solid logic, you start to appreciate this young man's special gift.

A Mozart? Hardly. He probably can't sing Happy Birthday in tune.

But he knows basketball.

Oh Yeah!
Well stated, Bobber! Another strength he has is the ability to adapt to given situations - different defensive looks, shortage of players, a guy tearing you up in the paint...Archie "fixes" things both on and off the floor. One thing to think about...over the last 1 and 1/2 seasons, how many times have the Flyers been totally overwhelmed in a game? I can think of none. Even the Florida game was a few three-point shots away from being close. Every team that has played us, including Florida as a number one, knew they had faced a tough opponent, an opponent that could get on the court with any team in the country. Thanks Archie!!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
There is no BCS anymore in case you wondered
Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
There is no BCS anymore in case you wondered
When someone says BCS, we all know what they mean.

It is alot easier than saying "group of five conferences full of arrogant and cocky programs who think they are much better than the teams in the other 28 conferences who do not have football programs at the same level".
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (04-04-2015), Bat'71 (04-04-2015), jack72 (04-04-2015), longtimefan (04-04-2015), rollo (04-04-2015), San Diego Flyer (04-04-2015), TerryK_67 (04-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The $1.5 is a little short from what I hear
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
224 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
When someone says BCS, we all know what they mean.

It is alot easier than saying "group of five conferences full of arrogant and cocky programs who think they are much better than the teams in the other 28 conferences who do not have football programs at the same level".
P5 is even shorter that BCS
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Colonel

Archie's buyout is likely higher, but they are misrepresenting what Crean's buyout actually would be.

The $10-$12 mil is what Indiana would owe Crean if they terminated his contract. That is not the same amount that Crean/Another School would owe if he took another job. Crean's buyout in that case is only $1 million.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 AM

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...he-thunder-job
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
"Next up? In our book? Archie Miller."

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really nice
I do not like either option. If Gottfried leaves, Archie to NC State. Let's hope Donovan stays or they hire Greg Marshall. Scott Brooks was a great coach so I think OKC already has a coach lined up. We should hear about OKC hiring shortly but I think BD is gone. He has wanted to coach in NBA for a few years and this is a perfect situation.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyhi524 View Post
"Next up? In our book? Archie Miller."

I was fine with everything they wrote in that article until the last line...here we go again.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Here we effing go...

Last edited by Buster Goode; 04-23-2015 at 09:06 AM..