User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Boy, wouldn't it be nice

The Big Ten Network and Comcast have finally worked things out. The link below tells some of the hardship and downright suffering endured by countless fans who couldn't see their favorite state sponsored team because mean old Comcast wanted to be paid for putting them on the tube. Some coaches were obviously distressed, as per CBS Sports:

"The parties negotiated for more than a year. The Big Ten wanted to put the new network on Comcast's basic level of service at a price the company wasn't willing to pay.

In February, Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo expressed frustration with the stalemate after being flooded with letters and calls from fans angry that they couldn't see games they watched in the past.

"I think it has been a PR nightmare," Izzo said at the time. "And I think it has hurt all of us."

Oh, the Humanity!!!

PS: Compare and contrast with the CSTV blackout of A10 games. Also, forget the fact that the BT got a good chunk of its games on the major networks (ABC/NBC/BCS) in spite of the Comcast glich.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10871378

Last edited by bobber; 06-20-2008 at 03:07 AM..
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Bobber: That screaming sound you hear are hundreds of radio station sales reps lamenting the end of the Comcast/BTN/Dish Network gravy train they rode all last year. I was working at 97.1 "The Ticket" here in Detroit at the time and we had all 3 of them running nasty campaigns about the other guys almost continuously. Those spots won't be missed by listeners, but sure will be by the sales guys and gals.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer Hub will become famous soon enough
Meanwhile, no deal in sight between the BTN and Time Warner. What a grease fire that has become.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
***rant on***

This whole argument of what package to get placed in just broils me. I do not have cable (was using a big satellite dish, until the financial capacity called 2 kids under 5 got to us) and refuse to get cable (unless the wife tells me otherwise) because of the tiers. I still believe that cable companies should offer an ala carte choice. This way I pay for the channels I want to be able to watch, and not pay for the others. I believe they won't do this because "newer" and "lesser" cable channels won't get the audience to keep them going. To me, I say, tough noogies. Make a useful cable channel, and people will pay for it. As well, if people knew how much it cost to pay for one month of ESPN, the viewership may go down. (Or that would be the only thing people subscribed to.) I'm willing to spend $1.25 to watch Weather Channel a month, or ABC Family, and maybe $3-$5 to watch Discovery Channels, but I'm not willing to spend $25 a month to watch ESPN. Especially when they are getting a boat load of money from the sports leagues that they are broadcasting.

And, yes, I know that it's not just the cable companies, but the cable channels too. They demand to be put in a specific tier, and not in an ala carte package.

***rant off***

John
Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's see -

5 million Comcast customers times $.70 per month times 12 months a year divided by 11 schools equals $3.8 million per school per year. Of course, they must pull production costs out of this. Not bad for broadcasting the third or fourth choice sporting event. The rich just keep getting richer.

I sure hope Time Warner doesn't kiss the BTN butt like Comcast just did. Let those who want it pay for it. Don't stick it to the rest of us.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Figgie,

I think (hope) you're not too far away from ala carte television. I don't think it will be driven by the cable companies (or congress for that matter despite rumbling in the past about this from I think McCain). As the speed of transmission over the internet improve, new cable is laid, the quality of over the internet broadcasting will also improve. I watched part of the US open playoffs on my computer earlier this week. It was really my first experience watching a live even over a computer outside of UD games. I was amazed how much better the quality was. There is still room for improvement, which will continue to happen no doubt.

When it does happen, I believe many of our sporting events will come to us this way. At least the non-prime sporting events. We'll hook our computer up to our 50" LCD screen to watch UD play at LaSalle over the 'net. You'll get your Big 10 network over the net, if you can't get it over time warner (or can get it for cheaper over the net). You'll watch your ESPN360 for that soccer matchup overseas, the Formula 1 race, the hose race out of Dubai, etc....

Once the quality catches up, and its not that far away, the easiest path will be to deliver it to us over the internet. If we can get basic cable for the local channels, then go thru our computer to get HBO on demand for that once a month movie, or the recent episode of Entourage for cheaper, we will. If we can go to the B10 network to pick up some Iowa hoops, or an OSU football game for cheaper, we will.

Its coming, hopefully sooner rather than later. And once the envelope is pushed (thru sports and movies) cable will have to follow suit. The Travel Channel will realize they can expand their market by offering some of their programming over the 'net for free. Once it becomes popular enough, they'll charge a nominal fee. You'll be traveling thru italy, and log onto Rick Steve's Europe to download a couple of episodes as he passes the lower boot.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, and there's the next rub.

Comcast and Time Warner are already looking at ways to "slow" down the Internet for those that use it heavily. Comcast has been taken to court already for slowing down users using specific ports. Now, they are slowing people down that use the most on their network. Next, they are going to charge for how much bandwidth you are using. Check this link out: http://hosted-communications.tmcnet....b-allotted.htm

I don't believe ala carte television will happen anytime soon. (I've been able to ala carte certain things on my big dish, thought some require at least 5 channels chosen. It's still cheaper than a comparable Dish or Cable package.) I'm also skeptical if high quality television broadcasts will appear through the Internet soon either, as that is a massive bandwidth hog, and noone who operates the backbone of the Internet is in the desire to expand their pipes.

Heck, I remember when Time Warner in this area finalled opened up their converter boxes to channels higher than 37 back in the mid 90s. Their argument was that they couldn't do it, but then, poof, it was able to.

(I just need a better antenna so I can get my locals without pixelating on my digital converter box.)

John