Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Its a small small world

Just this past week, i have been in Houston, Texas with my mom for a PHA conferance(its a conferance for my heart and lung disease). Anyway, we got into Houston and checked into the Hilton Hotel on Wednesday. After a busy day me and my mom were eating at a restaraunt located in the lobby of the hotel. As I was eating i was glancing around the room and from across the room I saw Brian Roberts sitting at a table eating by himself. At first I wasnt even sure it was him, I mean come on we were in Houston, but after a longer look I knew for sure. After dinner I approached Brian and told him I lived in Dayton and have been a UD flyer fan for years. He kind of laughed and said he didnt expect to see to many Dayton fans in Texas. After chatting for a while he told me that tommorow he had a workout with the Houston Rockets, which I thought was pretty cool. We got a picture together and I told him I wish him the best of luck with the NBA. For me, this was a really great experiance that I wanted to share, im only 15 and i have idolized Brob for 4 years when he played for our Flyers and I am crazy for UD basketball. Meeting Brob for me, was better than meeting any other big time, major league athlete.
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

Lunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Great story, and congratulations on getting to meet one of your sports idols.

Thank you for posting such a positive item to the board. It was very refreshing to read it.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Good Job UDFlyer23 very nice story.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I had another 'small world' story from yesterday. Only not nearly as cool. I live in san francisco, and needless to say, not many people have really even heard of UD out here. But yesterday my wife and i walked down to a pretty small secluded beach nearby and i was wearing a UD basketball shirt. On the way down the steps to the beach, a guy mentioned that he was just there and that his nephew just graduated from UD. We chatted for a bit, and i thought that was pretty rare to meet someone who had a UD connection out here.

Then, on the way back up from the beach, someone else stopped me and said that he grew up in dayton and his dad went to UD and is a rabid flyer fan. So, in the span of about an hour, we probably saw a total of 5 people, 2500 miles away from UD and two of them had a direct connection dayton. Pretty crazy. Maybe i should wear that shirt more often.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Major General

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
I live about 3 miles away from I-75 down here in Florida. Mind you, 3 miles on the side opposite the beach on a road that leads to 3 communites then dead ends ... not exactly a hot spot of activity. This year during spring break on a day that I decided to wear a UD polo shirt to work I had to hit the Publix outside of my community and I ran into 3 UD students (in UD gear, I think it was the day of a basketball game actually) on spring break who just happened to be in the same Publix. We're all over the place!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bonita Springs and Dayton may as well be Sister-Cities as every spring break (or Jan-March for the retired folk) Daytonians head there in droves for some R&R. I'm surprised you only saw 3 UD students.....were they buying beer????
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I had another 'small world' story from yesterday. Only not nearly as cool. I live in san francisco, and needless to say, not many people have really even heard of UD out here. But yesterday my wife and i walked down to a pretty small secluded beach nearby and i was wearing a UD basketball shirt. On the way down the steps to the beach, a guy mentioned that he was just there and that his nephew just graduated from UD. We chatted for a bit, and i thought that was pretty rare to meet someone who had a UD connection out here.

Then, on the way back up from the beach, someone else stopped me and said that he grew up in dayton and his dad went to UD and is a rabid Flyer fan. So, in the span of about an hour, we probably saw a total of 5 people, 2500 miles away from UD and two of them had a direct connection Dayton. Pretty crazy. Maybe i should wear that shirt more often.
Actually you should. More often than not I wear my white Dayton ball cap and sometimes a "T" shirt or sweatshirt. You would really be surprised to see just how many conversations get started. For me it was a visit to Belgium where I was sitting in a restaurant trying to order off their menu (my rosetta stone lessons were failing me) . The waitress smiled patiently and it seemed the more I struggled the broader her smile got. Finally she broke the silence and asked in absolutely perfect English if I would like her to help me, adding, a little harder than Dominic's huh? Seeing the puzzled look on my face she nodded at my hat and said she was an exchange student from Philidelphia and had been to Dayton many times as she had high school friends there. So I got a great meal and she got a big tip.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Bonita Springs and Dayton may as well be Sister-Cities as every spring break (or Jan-March for the retired folk) Daytonians head there in droves for some R&R. I'm surprised you only saw 3 UD students.....were they buying beer????
Probably not buying, just drinking!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Major General

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
Haha, not sure but if they asked I might have bought for old time's sake!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
2nd Lieutenant

soccer15211 is on a distinguished road
Not really a "small world story," but a whole ****-ton of former players were at Tim's on Saturday. Sean Finn is now approximately nine-feet tall. True story.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
The oddest small world incident with UD in it for me occured about 20 years ago. 15 years after graduating from UD I bought a house in an old Pittsburgh suburb. Two months later the house next to mine is put on the market and purchased by another UD alum who graduated the same year as I did. We did not know each other and had no other relationship. Small world indeed!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure where to put this, but this seems like a good spot.

I was at my sisters house this weekend, and my nephews showed me his autographed basketballs & poster he just picked up at the UD Basketball camp. Warren is now signing his w/ a #1 behind his name, which I assume means he's switching numbers to #1 next year.

Anyhoo, out of that came a conversation w/ my sister that impressed me. While my nephews were getting autographs, my sister was taking a picture of Chris Wright signing an Autograph for my oldest nephew. Chris noticed this, and said wait a minute, and asked my sister if she would like a picture of my nephew & Chris standing together. Not that this is a huge deal, or makes Chris Wright a saint by anymeans, but it impressed upon me the awareness and thoughtfullness that Chris carries himself with. He didn't have to take the extra moment, I'm sure he was signing several autographs as there were many other kids at camp.

Additionally, I guess Devon Searcy took it upon himself to make my youngest nephew (6 years old) his personal mascot during camp. My sister would stop by to watch some of the games, and obviously my youngest nephew is too young to participate, but he's not exactly shy either. I guess Searcy became his new best friend for a couple of hours at any rate. My sister said Devon couldn't have been any nicer. Nice to hear that the athletes repesenting UD are not only talented on the court, but solid people off it as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Nice stories....

Very nice, indeed. My experience is just the opposite, unfortunately. I have lived in CT for over 40 years, a state in which about 700 other UD alums live according to UD.

I have yet to meet one of them,....and am still waiting to see a UD decal on a car window. And, when people ask where I went to school and I say University of Dayton, what I get in return is a blank stare, with not a trace of recognition.

Here is where athletic prominance comes in to play. For sure the people in CT have heard of Gonzaga, Xavier, etc.,.....just as the people in California have heard of Villanova, Marquette, etc.

For sure, UD is well known in the mid-West. But, in order to become reasonably well known at the national level UD will have to broaden its recruiting base, climb the ladder in the US Newss ranking and, the fastest way, have the Flyers appear with some regularity in the NCAA tournament.

Of UD's nearly 100,000 living alums no less than 50% live in Ohio and what absolutely astonishes me is that, according to UD, 25% live in Dayton. That just has to mean Dayton and its nearby suburbs.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Years ago I transferred from Indy to Kansas City! We lived there for several years when one of my neighbors was having a going away party for another neighbor. My eldest son came with us to this party wearing a UD jacket as he had just made the decision to go to UD in the fall. Yet another neighbor, who I knew just casually, approached him and relayed that he went to UD too. This neighbor turned out to be Jimmy Powers from the 1962 NIT team. I had known him for several years and never made the connection with his name! To make it even more bizarre, he was good friends with my brother in college - and he never made the name connection with me.
It is a small world!

UAC:
Me and my brother are two of the UD graduates from CT (Sacred Heart HS - Waterbry)! I have lived in Indy, KC, and now Columbus since graduation. My brother went directly from UD to St Louis where he still lives! My family still lives in CT, but It is way tooooo expensive back there for me!

Last edited by TerryK_67; 06-23-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I live in a Philadelphia suburb and my next door neighbor is a UD alum. Completely random. We missed each other by a year - he started as a freshman the year after I graduated.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
2nd Lieutenant

quierobailar is on a distinguished road
ahh i am so jealous!! but that is seriously really sweet!!!

ok this is really embarrassing but me and my two friends went to chipotle on brown street earlier this year and so we walk in and in line is BRIAN ROBERTS AND CHRIS WRIGHT. haha i mean i guess they are there a lot but it was late-ish for dinner on a saturday night and so obviously i am freaking out inside. and my other friend is a fan too so we are in line and all like "OH MY GOSH!!".

so i am frantically looking for a pen inside my purse for an autograph and the closest thing to a pen was eyeliner and i am like noooo way but then i saw a DISPOSABLE camera. haha so they are leaving out that little hallway thing and i am like i cant let this opportunity go haha. so my feet start moving and before you know it i just reached out and tapped chris wright on the arm.

haha so he turns around and i am like "Can i please get a picture?" and so they both are like oh yeah yeah. and so then i start spitting out words like 1000 words per minute and they stare back at me like i am crazy ahha and i was like i know i am weird but i am in high school and this is just super exciting blah blah blah.

so anyways we got one of the workers to take the pic and my friend came in it too. haha so the next day i go to CVS to get them developed and i look HORRIBLE. haha and my friend, who didn't want to go up with me to ask might i add, looks really good. like she and CW look like they are dating in the pic haha i was so mad. but anyways it is up on my wall now and it makes me so happy every time i see it aside from how weird i looked and how embarrassing i was haha

but they were both like super nice, i mean honestly and it also made me happy that they were together and they both have good style as well. but seriously they were super nice
Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
2nd Lieutenant

sorry i wrote like a novel!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Major

BlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of light
My current boss and a few co-workers are UD alums. At one point in time, my boss, my boss' boss and a few more co-workers were all UD alums. Granted, I'm only down in Cincinnati, but it's still a nice connection to have.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by quierobailar View Post
sorry i wrote like a novel!!!
Like no novel that I have read. I don't know if it is just me or the lack of punctuation or capitalization in your post, but when I read it in my head, it felt like it went about 1,000 miles per hour.

I'm from a time at UD before email, cell phones, and texting, though. We'll politely call it "old school" for now.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by BlueMiniS View Post
My current boss and a few co-workers are UD alums. At one point in time, my boss, my boss' boss and a few more co-workers were all UD alums. Granted, I'm only down in Cincinnati, but it's still a nice connection to have.
My brother, sister and an uncle are all UD grads, true story!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Sorry...haha. I just wanted to get it all out!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

cintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the roughcintibUD is a jewel in the rough
No stories from me, just wanted to say I love this thread!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

troublebrewin will become famous soon enoughtroublebrewin will become famous soon enough
ash

This is my best story....

After mark ashman graduated he played for a time for the Sioux Falls Skyforce. I was orignally from sioux falls, so I sent a message to ashman (he had graduated) who still checked his udayton.edu email telling him if he needed anything to let me know. I had nveer spoken to ashman at my time at UD. He writes back saying he needs a car (taking taxis to and from practice) So I told him my parents had my old high school car and if he needed one for a little while he could borrow it.
Long story short ashman ends up driving my high school car for about a month until he got one up to SD.

The best part is my high school car was a Dodge Omni. Big man, Little car... everytime i think of him driving that car i laugh.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
OK, here is my best story. I meet this guy at church about 18 months ago, and we become close friends. I become like a father to him while he's going to graduate school here in southern Minnesota. He tells me he's majoring in sociology, and I tell him I majored in that a short while, while at the University of Dayton. He says, "Dayton, that's where the guy teaches who is a national leader in the kind of sociology I'm studying. We know each other." I said, "Who's that?" He said, "Dan Miller."

I told him that Dan Miller was my sociology teacher at Dayton in the fall of 1978. He is still teaching. I left sociology, in part, because of Dan Miller. Couldn't stand the guy. But it's truly weird that I would meet a graduate student here in southern Minnesota who has a friendship with the same guy who taught me 30 years ago.

That's my small world story.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
My story

Here is a story I told you about in the "Happy Mother's Day" thread about our May trip to Disney World. I thought it would be best posted here:

The day we arrived we spent the afternoon/evening at Magic Kingdom and we had a Dayton Flyers magical moment there. We had been there about a half hour and we were in line for a coke(it was 94 degrees) and a Disney "cast member" ran up to my husband who was wearing a UD football tee and she showed us her name tag that said she was from Dayton. We all proceeded to do the D-A-Y-T-O-N F-L-Y-E-R-S Dayton Flyers Go UD cheer and we told her we were serious UD basketball fans as well. She asked us if we knew Jimmie Binnie, and we said that he was my kids fave. She asked if we wanted to meet Jasmine and Aladdin but we had already done that, and then she tried to get us free food, but she couldn't get the counter person's attention and so she asked if we did the pin trading and we told her we only had one pin so she literally took her lanyard of 12 pins off her neck and put it on my daughter's neck! Totally cool. My daughter will be taking her pins to Bdub's to show coach in the fall!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
...must have been 1992 or so and my bro and I were at a taping for the Arsenio Hall show in LA. We're sitting there before the show and in from the side walks about 4 bball players, at first glace you could tell as they were big. After a closer look, it turns out to be Negele Knight walking in to sit in front of us with a couple of Suns teammates, Cedric Ceballos, etc. My brother knew Negele from playing with him at the PAC, he gives him a "hey Negele!". Negele looks at him like, WTF are you doing here?? They were in town playing the Lakers in a playoff game -- turns out we were going to the game the next night.

This thread brought that memory out from my vault. Haven't thought about that one in years.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
ROTC connection

My wife and I are eating dinner at a lodge, right on the Pacific, about 60 miles N. of San Fran (Brenner, CA.?) a few yeara ago. When I return from the restroom she has struck up a conversation with the couple sitting a couple tables away.

Long story short...........he was Army Sgt. Major assigned to UD ROTC in '64-'65. Can't remember his name, but his face was familiar as I was in ROTC at that time.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I am anti-social nitwit, so I don't get these types of moments...but...

When I was co-oping as a backup system administrator of sorts (Vax, and 10baseT network), one of the people I met and helped out was Allen Elijah. Nice guy, and friendly. Not until a few years ago did I know that he was a member of the UD Basketball Team from the 70s. I tried to talk to him in the Wings this year when he sang the national anthem, but other people were already there. Don't know if he'd remember me or not.

My buddy (and wife, both UD alums) in Cleveland (Painesville) moved in next door to another UD alum.

My uncle (Tampa Bay) is a UD alum too.

John
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Captain

TD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura about
Flyer23, thanks for starting this thread. You sound more mature than many other posters that range from UD students to grandfathers. I wish you the best with your disease. My niece from Kansas City is in Houston at this time for treatment for cancer at MD Anderson Hospital. She came to Houston at our urging for treatment. We had dinner with her and her husband twice over the weekend and she has thanked us profusely for telling her about MD Anderson. If any of you are dealing with cancer, please check this hospital out. People from over the world come here for treatment.

My story on meeting other UD people. We were on an Italian tour a few years ago with about 40 some other people. One day I wore my UD shirt and sat down for breakfast and a lady said she was a UD grad. A short time later another lady approached my and said her husband had a master's degree from UD. I met him later and found out he was on the UD board of trustees. I do not recall his name. Small small world.

UAC, I can understand what you are saying. I have been recruiting for UD at the high school's fairs. We don't get a lot of activity compared to many other schools, and many of the people that stop asked questions like where is Dayton. Most have some knowledge where the city is located, but few ever heard of the school. A few years ago, one of my golfing buddies said they he and his high school son were going on a driving trip to visit Washington University and Notre Dame. I suggested that that they include UD when in the area. Out of politeness, he said they would look into it. But he later told me he didn't realize that UD was a Catholic school. We are looked upon as being a commuter, second rate state school, with questionable academics and a minor sports program. We will never be a national school until those negative perceptions of the school are corrected. I do understand that the administration has some programs to correct this.

It would be great if the Rockets took Brian on the second round. I always viewed Brian as a 2 guard, but he is too small to compete in the NBA at that position. The Rockets need backup help in the backcourt to get deep into the playoffs, and I hope he could help at the point.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post
OK, here is my best story. I meet this guy at church about 18 months ago, and we become close friends. I become like a father to him while he's going to graduate school here in southern Minnesota. He tells me he's majoring in sociology, and I tell him I majored in that a short while, while at the University of Dayton. He says, "Dayton, that's where the guy teaches who is a national leader in the kind of sociology I'm studying. We know each other." I said, "Who's that?" He said, "Dan Miller."

I told him that Dan Miller was my sociology teacher at Dayton in the fall of 1978. He is still teaching. I left sociology, in part, because of Dan Miller. Couldn't stand the guy. But it's truly weird that I would meet a graduate student here in southern Minnesota who has a friendship with the same guy who taught me 30 years ago.

That's my small world story.
Dan Miller threw me for a loop when I took his class my senior year. He started asking me about my family members and the house I grew up in. Turns out that we bought his house when I was 8 and he also knew my parents through PTA-type stuff. He knew who I was but I didn't know who he was.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by soccer15211 View Post
Not really a "small world story," but a whole ****-ton of former players were at Tim's on Saturday. Sean Finn is now approximately nine-feet tall. True story.
For those who missed it, Sean Finn is back at UD using up his untapped baseball eligibility:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...nn_sean00.html
Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
For those who missed it, Sean Finn is back at UD using up his untapped baseball eligibility:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...nn_sean00.html
What happened......he shrunk!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
UDFlyer23....we wish you all the best in fighting your disease. You sound like a great kid!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I was walking through a crowded park in the Netherlands when I overheard a man talking. He was sitting on a park bench as I walked by. I heard him say his hometown was city close to my hometown.

I stopped in my tracks and mentioned that I'm from near there, where exactly is he from. He told me and it turned out to be the same hometown I grew up in.

So I asked him where in the town. He told me. I asked what street.

It turns out he lives about a mile from my parents. His next-door neighbor is best friends with my parents.

All of this many thousands of miles from home, and only because I happened to walk by at the exact moment he mentioned a city near my hometown.

What are the odds.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
UDFlyer23....we wish you all the best in fighting your disease. You sound like a great kid!
Thank you very much that means a lot...things are going very well, and TD Flyer im sorry to hear about your neice and her battle with cancer and i hope her treatments go well.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I was walking through a crowded park in the Netherlands when I overheard a man talking. He was sitting on a park bench as I walked by. I heard him say his hometown was city close to my hometown.

I stopped in my tracks and mentioned that I'm from near there, where exactly is he from. He told me and it turned out to be the same hometown I grew up in.

So I asked him where in the town. He told me. I asked what street.

It turns out he lives about a mile from my parents. His next-door neighbor is best friends with my parents.

All of this many thousands of miles from home, and only because I happened to walk by at the exact moment he mentioned a city near my hometown.

What are the odds.
Apparently greater than winning the Lotto. While in Seville Spain back in the 60's I was walking around taking in the views while trying to understand what many of the locals were saying (I knew very little spanish) when all of a sudden I clearly heard my name. Stopping in my tracks I was surprised to find a family from my neighborhood who were vacationing. They were Italians visiting the old country but also decided to check out Spain and Portugal. It was great to spend a day with other english speaking people and from my hometown and neighborhood to boot.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
In September of '77 my wife and I are walking down a back street in Dublin (Ireland, not Ohio). A guy walks past me. I didn't make eye contact and then I hear: "Hey, Dayton." It was a kid from Newark (New Jersey, not Ohio) who I lived with 8 years before -- he dropped out, went to Vietnam and then back to Jersey . . . where he met an Irish nurse and moved to the homeland . . . at the time he was living in County Mayo . . . he was in Dublin on holiday.

Needless to say, we found a pub and had a few (too many). It could have been Tim's or Kramer's or Carl's Tavern a decade before, but it was Ireland this time.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant General

I'll try to keep this short. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I worked at a summer day camp here in Susssex County, New Jersey as the riflery and archery instructor. I became friendly with the assistant camp director. Turned out that his father knew my father from their working together at the old Ballantine Brewery in Newark, NJ. A couple of months ago I received a call from this gentleman who told me that since his retirment he was "getting into genealogy". He then informed me we were related! Our common ancestor was my 4th great grandfather. We were 5th cousins. And our dads never knew! Too bad, they are both gone now.

Last edited by Bill McPeek; 06-24-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Brigadier General

Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
All these stories have shaken the cobwebs in my foggier-than-it-should-be mind. I remember a few years ago i was on a long roadtrip photographing the south. I ended up in Savannah, GA at a bar (go figure). Being that the roadtrip was long, i ended up getting pretty used to doing things solo. So i was just standing near this band watching them play. They were pretty good. This girl approached me and asked if i knew the band or something. I said no. We began to talk and it was a crazy set of circumstances:

"Where are you from?", i said.
'Indiana' she said.
"So am i!", i said.
"Where did you go to school?", I said.
"In Ohio", she said.
"Where in ohio???" i said.
"Dayton", she said.
"The university of Dayton?!," I said.
"Yeah!" she said.
"So did I!", i said.
"Bullsh!t!!!!!" she said.
"Where'd you live?" i said.
"400 block of kiefaber", she said.
"400 block of lowes!," i said.
"What year did you graduate?" she said.
"95" i said.
"Me too!" she said.

She really thought i was just messing with her. She was now a lawyer and lived in chapel hill, nc. Very weird.

The sad ending to this story is that she was already married. Sorry to lead you all on. Admit it. You wanted me to say that that girl ended up being my wife.

You're all so romantic.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
2nd Lieutenant

This is my favorite thread since I have been a member
Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Just off the Jet

goodbyeflyer is on a distinguished road
Chicago

I just graduated and moved to Chicago and I cannot go to the next street corner without seeing a former flyer.

Most of my job interviews were either with flyers or a flyer helped me get in touch with HR. Just this Saturday at the cubs/ white sox game I met an 07 grad that works at the same place I do. It really is amazing to see all the decals, bumper stickers and every once in a while a GO UD in the middle of a bar for no reason.

Cannot wait to see what basketball season is like up here, especially with UD playing in the Chicago Invitational. Although, when my parents went to Depaul vs. UD back when I was a freshman they said there were 3 times as many UD fans as DePaul fans, so I guess I already know.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

AustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Hey goodbyeflyer, check the UD alumni web site: http://alumni.udayton.edu/ for the Chicago contact. As you could probably guess seeing so many Flyers, they have a pretty active chapter in Chicago.

BTW, in case you hadn't heard, there is a social for new grads this Friday at the Schoolyard Tavern. If you need more info, PM me.

So as not to be completely OT on this post, I occasionally run into UD (or at least Dayton) people in Austin. A few years ago I was wearing a UD sweatshirt while in the principal's office at my daughter's elementary school. Turns out a mom of a new kindergartener happened to be in the office at the same time, and she graduated a year before me. I've run into a few other UD folks, often at sports bars, but now that we have an alumni chapter, I usually meet someone new at each event.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
goodbyeflyer....

Re goodbyeflyer's observation of "all the decals and bumper stickers" in the Chicago area, for the past 40+ years I have lived in New England, and before that in the PA/NJ area. In all that time once,.....once,....I saw a UD decal on a car.

I was in back of a car and saw the decal;....at the next light I pulled next to the guy and motioned for him to lower the window, which he did. I then mentioned the UD decal. What happened next will surprise you. The guy looks at me with a puzzled expression and it's clear that he has no idea what I'm talking about. Turns out he was unaware of the decal on the rear window,...just bought the car (used) two days before and didn't notice the decal. How 'bout them apples'!

According to UD records roughly 2000 UD alums live in the six New England states;....they must be spread pretty thin. To say that UD is an "unknown" in New England would be to overstate the case. Yet, when the Flyers play URI, Holy Cross, etc., a hundred or so always show up, which is a high perecentage considering that only about 2000 live in the entire six state area.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
I'm not a world traveler, just drive up & down I-77 from NC to OH.

In the fall of 2006 I stuck a large Dayton Flyer magnet on my driver side door. It was a proud grandfather wanting to broadcast pride his grandchild's institution of choice.

For nearly a year around town and six trips north, nary a person said a word to me about "Dayton". Finally two people asked me about my Flyer sign. The first was a girl in the drive-thru window at Wendy's in Ravenswood, WV and the second a middle aged woman in the parking lot at Buffalo Trace bourbon distillery in Frankfort, KY.

Guess people in all the other places I drove were too bashfull to speak up?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
I'm not a world traveler, just drive up & down I-77 from NC to OH.
The I-77 bridge from Williamstown, W. Va to Marietta, Ohio was built by my grandpa's construction company which still has the family name on the dedication plaque somewhere in its trusses.

Years ago my boss and I were talking about his childhhod (60's-70's) in Williamstown, W Va. I asked if he lived near the I-77 bridge and he looked at me and told me stories about playing under and around the bridge as a kid. I told him that my grandpa built that bridge and upon retirement bought the property just to the south of the bridge. My boss then went on to describe my grandpa's property as he and his friends regularly played in front of his yard while screwing around by the Ohio River.

Both my dad and his brother went to UD. So did my mom. Along with me, both my brothers and one of my sisters went to UD (the other went to Marquette) and my oldest brother has sent each of his 3 to UD. My other brother works for UD, so his 4 will have the chance to continue the tradition after high school. My 3 are young and undecided. Come 2020, it's very possible that someone in my direct family will have attended UD in every decade starting with the 50's.

Last edited by rollo; 06-26-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
ok...growing up in Westchester county, NY i remained pretty close with many of the kids i went to kindergarten with. Even in high school i could name every kid in my K class picture, except for one. I asked a couple of buddies about him and one remembered him pretty well...he had moved to long island right after K. I never thought much about it again...

Then I arrive at UD in August 1986 for my first semester. At some point in the ghetto, I run into him and I recognized him immediately. it was the kid from my kindergarten class picture! what are the odds of that?!? I haven't seen him since we left UD, but i have to tell you Dan Riley looked exactly the same Freshman year as he did in Kindergarten!

I had actually forgotten about that until this thread started....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Brigadier General

AC91, that is truly bizarre. Not only the part about seeing that kid again, but about you knowing the name of every kid in your kindergarten picture.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

AlumUD will become famous soon enoughAlumUD will become famous soon enough
UAC, I know of at least 3 UD alums who live in Stamford, CT.....
Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Dan Riley? Did you say Dan Riley? I know him.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
The I-77 bridge from Williamstown, W. Va to Marietta, Ohio was built by my grandpa's construction company which still has the our family name on the dedication plaque somewhere in its trusses.

Years ago my boss and I were talking about his childhhod (60's-70's) in Williamstown, W Va. I asked if he lived near the I-77 bridge and he looked at me and told me stories about playing under and around the bridge as a kid. I told him that my grandpa built that bridge and upon retirement bought the property just to the south of the bridge. My boss then went on to describe my grandpa's property as he and his friends regularly played in front of his yard while screwing around by the Ohio River.
The bridge is fine, well cared for; painted a couple years ago. Cemetary to the east on the WV side is doing well, lots of fresh flowers as people are dying to get in there.

But, that gas station at the Williamstown exit (1 mile from river) was torn down and replaced...finally. We sometimes stopped there to eat at the Dutch Pantry and gas up...but the rest rooms were so bad at the station and they never had pay at the pump so we quit stopping. Maybe I should try the new pumps & facility if only to see if anyone would say something about my Dayton Flyer magnet sign.

Anyone from Pocatalico, WV out there? That's my favorite sign on I-77. That's halfway to Solon or half way back to home. Second favorite sign is Cabin Creek, home of NBA great Jerry West..
Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Major General

kiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these parts
Being ffrom western NY, I used to think meeting fellow alums was something that was quite amazing. After the last several years I'm disappointed if I don't.
Since retiring, I've worked as a starter at 2 different golf courses in our area, and probably 80% of the time I wear a Dayton Basketball hat, I start off someone who is an alum or has a relative that went to UD. Last year I met a gentleman whose 6 nieces and nephews all went to UD.
Best one, however, was sharing a cab with a couple who both graduated from UD in St. Lucia while on a cruise.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
The I-77 bridge from Williamstown, W. Va to Marietta, Ohio was built by my grandpa's construction company which still has the our family name on the dedication plaque somewhere in its trusses.

Both my dad and his brother went to UD. So did my mom. Along with me, both my brothers and one of my sisters went to UD (the other went to Marquette) and my oldest brother has sent each of his 3 to UD. My other brother works for UD, so his 4 will have the chance to continue the tradition after high school. My 3 are young and undecided. Come 2020, it's very possible that someone in my direct family will have attended UD in every decade starting with the 50's.
A friend of mine went to Marietta College. After a few too many we decided to crawl on the catwalk under the bridge all the way to the other side. Funny thing about those places is that animals live down there. That don't like to be disturbed. And can see in the pitch darkness better than you can. Scared the living bejesus out of us.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Just off the Jet

racks234 is on a distinguished road
Ill try to keep this short. My family, wife son daughter, were vacationing in Aruba. My son just got accepted to UD. I told him all about the first weekend of partying in the ghetto. Coming out of the water in aruba he sees a kid with a UD hat on. Turns out he goes to UD and is taking a break before school starts. Tells my son to call him when he gets to UD. The first weekend my son is at UD he calls him. Chris invites him to a little house party in the ghetto, my son was amazed. chris took him under his wing intro him to everyone and theyve been friends ever since. Only at UD!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Dan Riley? Did you say Dan Riley? I know him.
Too funny, Dirty....were you at UD when I was there?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
Small World Stories

I love small world stories.

I've lived in Connecticut for 29 years. As mentioned above you don't run into many UD grads here.

My son told me (15 years ago) that the father of one of his High School classmates went to Dayton. The two boys eventually endeed up being roomates in Colorado after college but I never met the father. Through mutual golf friends we were on a golf outing together about 5 years ago. Turns out that he was 2 years ahead of me at UD and now we became friends and play golf together in CT and Florida.
At that first meeting at the golf outing we were talking about UD and one of the other guys at the outing said " you know my best friend in Florida went to Dayton". I asked his name and said " he lived next to me in Founders". I got together with him in Florida and we play golf in Fl every year.