User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Mooney should be gone IMO. I do not understand why UR is keeping him around. He has been given plenty of time.

No NCAAT for the last 7 years.
Mooney has a bunch of freshman and sophomores on the team this year. They played pretty well considering their experience in A10 play

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Saw where Evansville terminated the contract of Marty Simmons after 11 seasons, and that one of their targeted candidates is Travis Steele, Mack’s top assistant at X. That got me thinking:
1) That would kind of bring things full-circle, since Mack started his playing career at UE, then transferred to X, then became coach at X, only to have an assistant become coach at UE. And
2) Will catcher’s masks need to become part of the standard basketball uniform in the Missouri Valley Conference next year? You know. To protect against thrown basketballs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Steele is out now per reports. Wonder if he knows something about Mack
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Reported on TV in New Jersey that Hurley has taken the UConn job.

When Rutgers came to Hurley a few years ago with some pretty big money and massaging his NJ background, he said that he was staying at URI because of the team he had then (the seniors now) and how he thought they would take URI far.

When my daughter was looking at colleges, we looked at URI and, maybe I was wrong, but I was not overly impressed by the campus, the area and the town. Even for a small state, it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere and a distance from Providence.
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
https://twitter.com/NBC10_Joe/status/975890038025269248

Let's see how this plays out.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
UConn hard to turn down

A few things UConn has going for it:

1. Hurley's family wouldn't even have to move....at least not right away.

2. UConn can pay at least one million more than URI..at least.

3. UConn is a destination job

4. UConn's new on-campus $45 million basketball facility has to be seen to be believed.

5. May depend on the impression UConn's AD makes.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
A few things UConn has going against it:

1. AAC is not a P5 conference.
2. Football is bleeding $s.
3. May be some NCAA/FBI issues to be dealt with.

URI is not a bad job. He does have talent coming back and probably still sits at or close to the top of the A10 as recent powers of UD and VCU regroup. May not be a bad idea to let the dust settle with the NCAA/FBI thing and wait for a P5 destination job.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
When my daughter was looking at colleges, we looked at URI and, maybe I was wrong, but I was not overly impressed by the campus, the area and the town. Even for a small state, it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere and a distance from Providence.
You are correct that it is in the middle of nowhere and the campus is so-so at best. There is a cool little downtown about 15 minutes away with some good bars and restaurants. For people in RI it is far from Providence but for anyone else in the world it is about a 35-40 drive from Providence (For Rhode Islanders anything over 30 minutes away is an overnight trip for them).

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
A few things UConn has going against it:

1. AAC is not a P5 conference.
2. Football is bleeding $s.
3. May be some NCAA/FBI issues to be dealt with.

URI is not a bad job. He does have talent coming back and probably still sits at or close to the top of the A10 as recent powers of UD and VCU regroup. May not be a bad idea to let the dust settle with the NCAA/FBI thing and wait for a P5 destination job.
UConn's NCAA issues are not FBI related, they are run of the mill recruiting violations.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
OK so my memory has not completely gone south. I prefer my bars and restaurant within 15 minute at most walking distance. Actually my other daughter went to JWU in Providence, which was a city I came to like.

Be interesting to see if one of Hurley's assistants gets the job or how many follow him to UConn. Despite being a whiner, I think it is a good spot for him. Only way is up for UConn and he can ride it. From what I have read in NYC papers, over the years UConn is either still angry at Pitt, BC and Syracuse for leaving - and not taking UConn with it - or with UConn having to struggle playing elsewhere.

Hurley can provide or exacerbate any "chip on the shoulder" mentality and bring UConn back. Should be interesting to watch. I don't know if Hurley had good Connecticut recruits at URI.
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Mooney should be gone IMO. I do not understand why UR is keeping him around. He has been given plenty of time.

No NCAAT for the last 7 years.
Different schools have different expectations, as do their fans and alumni. I have been to several games at Richmond and Davidson, and believe me they have a different attitude than UD about their program. Probably healthier, more polite and friendlier.

Last year my wife and I were having breakfast at the place we stayed in Davidson, after we came back and beat them in overtime. The place was loaded with Davidson alum, who were carrying on a conversation that involved the entire room. You would have thought they won the game, as they had nothing but pleasure on their faces, as they praised Scoochie's shooting. Nary a negative word for their team.

Mooney would have been gone about 2 years ago at UD.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-20-2018), UDGutter2 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Misc re UConn/URI

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
You are correct that it is in the middle of nowhere and the campus is so-so at best. There is a cool little downtown about 15 minutes away with some good bars and restaurants. For people in RI it is far from Providence but for anyone else in the world it is about a 35-40 drive from Providence (For Rhode Islanders anything over 30 minutes away is an overnight trip for them).

UConn's NCAA issues are not FBI related, they are run of the mill recruiting violations.
URI is starved by the State,..gets only 6% of its operating budget from the State. Hurley is paid about one million...URI can't get that up to two million, in my opinon.

OK so my memory has not completely gone south. I prefer my bars and restaurant within 15 minute at most walking distance. Actually my other daughter went to JWU in Providence, which was a city I came to like.

Be interesting to see if one of Hurley's assistants gets the job or how many follow him to UConn. Despite being a whiner, I think it is a good spot for him. Only way is up for UConn and he can ride it. From what I have read in NYC papers, over the years UConn is either still angry at Pitt, BC and Syracuse for leaving - and not taking UConn with it - or with UConn having to struggle playing elsewhere.

Hurley can provide or exacerbate any "chip on the shoulder" mentality and bring UConn back. Should be interesting to watch. I don't know if Hurley had good Connecticut recruits at URI.
UConn paid Ollie three million and ordinarily would match that for Hurley. But UConn has itself in a deep financial hole over Ollie's buy-out. Not at all clear to anyone how that will be handled and how it may affect negotiations with Hurley. Would Hurley be willing to work for two million when Ollie was paid three?....perhaps with really juicy incentives.

UConn is not Power 5 but is still UConn....magnificent facilities second to none....still able to schedule Power 5 opponents with little difficulty.

The bad blood between UConn and other schools over abandonment of the Big East is ancient history. In fact, only BC was involved and now UConn and BC have resumed scheduling. No issue there.

The entire Power 5 things smacks of an illegal cartel. The majority of American Conference schools invest in facilities matching at least half of the Power 5 schools. And the top half of the AAC is much better than the bottom half of a typical Power 5 conference....three AAC schools in final top 25 FB poll, one in top ten. Yet the conference is locked out by the Power5/TV cartel. That is killing schools like UConn and UC...while bottom feeders like Illinois and other similar schools in the Power 5 thrive financially.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post

The entire Power 5 things smacks of an illegal cartel. The majority of American Conference schools invest in facilities matching at least half of the Power 5 schools. And the top half of the AAC is much better than the bottom half of a typical Power 5 conference....three AAC schools in final top 25 FB poll, one in top ten. Yet the conference is locked out by the Power5/TV cartel. That is killing schools like UConn and UC...while bottom feeders like Illinois and other similar schools in the Power 5 thrive financially.
I agree totally but are things going to change? Because of all this Hurley may wait for a good P5 job.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Let me get this straight. A successful A10 coach is wooed by a higher profile program that has won national championships. Why would anyone do that? Shouldn't they stay at the A10 school the rest of their career.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Perhaps

I agree totally but are things going to change? Because of all this Hurley may wait for a good P5 job.
But, if he earns ~ $3 million at UConn and is successful nothing prevents him from viewing UConn as a stepping stone to that Power 5 job. He's got to win wherever he goes, UConn or elsewhere. By the way, one of Hurley's top assistants was one of Calhoun's top assistants. Hurley has solid inside info re what life is like at UConn.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 AM
General of the Air Force

Hey, I don't know sh!t. I am not suggesting he would stay at URI for life. I just think he may drag it out a few more years ala Shaka. I think the biggest thing UConn has going for it is that his brother is making more at ASU than he is.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently he's had some dissatisfaction that URI won't invest in the program with chartered flights, a dedicated on campus practice facility, etc
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
A few things UConn has going for it:

3. UConn is a destination job
I am not sure about #3. When UConn was a p5 school, then it was a destination job, but being in the AAC changes things a lot.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Dan Hurley has some coaching defiencies, but he seems like a good recruiter.

And he does have that volcanic personality, can he avoid blowing his top if he has some struggles at UConn?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Never know, but,....

I am not sure about #3. When UConn was a p5 school, then it was a destination job, but being in the AAC changes things a lot.

The AAC considers itself the Power 6 conference...even have a logo. The AAC schools have resources and know what it takes to become a real power conference....beat Power 5 schools. They are doing that.

I think Dan Hurley has some coaching defiencies, but he seems like a good recruiter.

And he does have that volcanic personality, can he avoid blowing his top if he has some struggles at UConn?
"Blowing his top" is exactly why Calhoun was successful as a coach. The man would not, could not, tolerate losing. UConn doesn't have Hurley, or anyone, yet. Media expect decision this week. UConn needs to get this right.

Meanwhile, the UConn women cruise along. I don't see the talent in the freshmen and sophs though, that is typical of Auriemma's classes the last decade.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Different schools have different expectations, as do their fans and alumni. I have been to several games at Richmond and Davidson, and believe me they have a different attitude than UD about their program. Probably healthier, more polite and friendlier.

Last year my wife and I were having breakfast at the place we stayed in Davidson, after we came back and beat them in overtime. The place was loaded with Davidson alum, who were carrying on a conversation that involved the entire room. You would have thought they won the game, as they had nothing but pleasure on their faces, as they praised Scoochie's shooting. Nary a negative word for their team.

Mooney would have been gone about 2 years ago at UD.
This is what is wrong with the A10, too many schools that accept mediocrity/don't care about winning.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2018), jack72 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
General of the Air Force

The AAC considers itself the Power 6 conference...even have a logo. The AAC schools have resources and know what it takes to become a real power conference....beat Power 5 schools. They are doing that.
Somebody tell Bernadette to get us a logo so we can be the P7 conference.

I must have missed the news that the Sun Belt became P5 conference. Who dropped out?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM
General of the Air Force

This is what is wrong with the A10, too many schools that accept mediocrity/don't care about winning.
Actually if the A10 could get a few schools up to the mediocre level, it would be an improvement.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-20-2018), mikeymo85 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
There is a difference between accepting mediocrity and letting a loss by kids playing a game ruin your day/week.

There are certain things you can control in basketball. You can defend well, you can be in position for rebounds, you can take good shots.

There are certain things you can not control. The opponent making shots no matter how well you defend. The ball not bouncing your way no matter how well your in position. The ball not going in no matter how good of shots you take.

Any time Dayton does the things they can control, win or lose, I'm happy. That's a good game. I'm frustrated with a loss, sure, but still happy with the play.

I remember the Rock and Roll Shootout against UC years ago. While I know some Dayton fans left with their heads hung low, I loved that game! Dayton played AWESOME, but just came up short. No shame in that. And that is not accepting mediocrity.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (03-20-2018), Flyer 86 (03-20-2018), JimBo (03-20-2018), T-Bone 84 (03-20-2018), UD62 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM

56 page thread on the URI board with 2,775 replies with over 93,000 views.

I am sure that URI fans are going crazy right now.

Wow.

Edit: my bad, the thread was started a year ago.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewforum.php?...ad3c6c7632a023

Last edited by ud2; 03-20-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

Hurley and that jackwad at _avier will get along quite nicely. Cage match at center court.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

On the URI board, take URI out and put Dayton in to the topics on the URI message board and you would think you are reading the actual Dayton board. Same comments, questions and concerns. Interesting reading. Felt like I was spying into someone else's program!

Interesting comment by one person who mentioned that after the game, when he was asked, Hurley said he had not been thinking about offers from any other schools. Then on Monday, he has negotiations with two schools (Pitt and UConn) and decides in one day to take the UConn job and uproot his family.

Sure he never thought about it before and it was not a distraction leading up to the tournament. Sounds like comments on our board when BG and AM left us.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

C'mon

On the URI board, take URI out and put Dayton in to the topics on the URI message board and you would think you are reading the actual Dayton board. Same comments, questions and concerns. Interesting reading. Felt like I was spying into someone else's program!

Interesting comment by one person who mentioned that after the game, when he was asked, Hurley said he had not been thinking about offers from any other schools. Then on Monday, he has negotiations with two schools (Pitt and UConn) and decides in one day to take the UConn job and uproot his family.
Sure he never thought about it before and it was not a distraction leading up to the tournament. Sounds like comments on our board when BG and AM left us.
What do you expect the guy to say?

There is no reporting that Hurley has "taken the UConn job". Just speculation. He has met with the UConn AD...that's it.

When a deal gets done...if it gets done...UConn will announce it immediately. UConn wants this done....fast.

By the way, if Hurley chooses UConn there is no need to "uproot" his family. The schools are nearby....his kids can finish school where they are, etc. That may be a consideration.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM
General of the Air Force

What do you expect the guy to say?

There is no reporting that Hurley has "taken the UConn job". Just speculation. He has met with the UConn AD...that's it.

When a deal gets done...if it gets done...UConn will announce it immediately. UConn wants this done....fast.

By the way, if Hurley chooses UConn there is no need to "uproot" his family. The schools are nearby....his kids can finish school where they are, etc. That may be a consideration.
Oh I am sure it would be great for Mrs. Hurley and the kids to be living in Kinston or wherever they actually live while Danny is spending most of his time in Storrs. It would be a real pleasant experience going to the grocery store and school. Nothing would change. Everyone in Kinston would be so understanding that it is just business. Doing what is best for Danny and his family.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Rothstein reporting Pitt has offered $3M. Uconn and URI better get busy.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM

What?

Oh I am sure it would be great for Mrs. Hurley and the kids to be living in Kinston or wherever they actually live while Danny is spending most of his time in Storrs. It would be a real pleasant experience going to the grocery store and school. Nothing would change. Everyone in Kinston would be so understanding that it is just business. Doing what is best for Danny and his family.
Where do you think Kingston is?

For many years Calhoun and later Ollie had an Assoc Head coach who commuted from RI to CT every day choosing not to move to CT. It's an easy 90 minute drive...longer than I would like to make; but definitely doable and preferable to pulling kids out of school with just three months left in the school year. Also, looking for a house in CT could be carried out in a less-than-rushed manner if he retained his RI home for a few months.

By the way, how much time do you think the wife and kids of a head basketball coach spend with their husbands/fathers during the season?

I have no idea (and neither do you) how significant factors like this are to the Hurley family...or to any coaches family. My guess is that more than a few wives are willing to make some trade offs for the life style that comes with a million dollar plus family income.

It has been rumored that the Hurley family prefers New England to other locations that have been mentioned. Soon we'll know.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Colonel

UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it would be tough for your family to live in your old school's backyard while coaching a new school. The community may not be real accommodating.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Google says that Storrs is only about 55 miles from Kingston, but Google says it is not a straight shot drive, it is about a 90 minute drive, I did not realize the two were so close.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018), UACFlyer (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Google says that Storrs is only about 55 miles from Kingston, but Google says it is not a straight shot drive, it is about a 90 minute drive, I did not realize the two were so close.
Close for everybody except For Rhode Islanders who would have to take a weeks vacation to make that trip.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 PM

Good point, but,...

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I think it would be tough for your family to live in your old school's backyard while coaching a new school. The community may not be real accommodating.
That is a point. But, I think most people would be more than understanding about a man taking a position that pays 3X his current salary. Also, URI and UConn are not rivals. That was the case about 40 years ago; but no longer. Most definitely, this is not a UD-X kinda thing. More likely the URI fan base is proud that they have a coach of such stature as to be coveted by top-tier schools.

URI takes BB (men's only) seriously and strives to have a good team. The school is a good A10 member. The Ryan Center is relatively new and one of the best in the A10...very nice I find the URI crowd to be courteous and mature...friendly and respectful toward opponents.

There's a lot to like about URI and RI in general. I hope everything works out for the best for URI...and for UConn.
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 PM
General of the Air Force

I thought that is what I was saying but in my typical sarcastic, obnoxious way. Can you imagine if Archie took the OSU job? Dayton to Columbus would be an easier commute than Kinston to Cbus but I can't imagine many of the Flyer Faithful being that understanding and kind to Morgan.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Understood...

I thought that is what I was saying but in my typical sarcastic, obnoxious way. Can you imagine if Archie took the OSU job? Dayton to Columbus would be an easier commute than Kinston to Cbus but I can't imagine many of the Flyer Faithful being that understanding and kind to Morgan.
Entirely understandable. The issue is the relationship difference. Men's basketball is a life-and-death matter for our U and the Faithful...it's our identity..we're spending $70+ million to renovate our building! For us to lose a top coach to an in-state rival like tOSU, X, UC would be all but unbearable.

Nothing could be more different at URI or even UConn. Neither school has a relationship or rivalry with any school even remotely approaching that among the schools mentioned above....or with each other.

It's completely different. I have no idea how this will play out for URI, UConn or the Hurley's. But whatever happens it will bear no resemblance whatsoever to an "Archie-goes-to-Columbus" scenario.

Attitudes toward college athletics in the Northeast is unlike that elsewhere in the Country. Quite laid back in comparison, generally. During Calhoun's ~ 30 tenure UConn BB was blazing hot. But, even then, that was because UConn was winning and always near the top of the heap nationally. CT fans will support a winner; but only a winner. The Faithful supports UD basketball no matter what.

Go Flyers!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/...eturn-to-pitt/
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/...eturn-to-pitt/
Boooom!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Lieutenant General

One dumpster fire deserves another dumpster fire!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:31 AM
General of the Air Force

One dumpster fire deserves another dumpster fire!
I'll leave my program that lost all its incoming recruits to go to another program that lost all of its players.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:29 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
And they say you can never go home.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the problem NCAA needs to fix. Sean is running away from potential serious trouble. It is the schools programs that take the hit while the coaches escape with little damage free to go to fertal ground to create new messes.

Coaches need to be held accountable.

Sean also knows they won't be able to buy anymore players at Arizona.

If he does leave what a slap in the face to the U and fans that stood behind him during the acquisitions.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Here's the problem NCAA needs to fix. Sean is running away from potential serious trouble. It is the schools programs that take the hit while the coaches escape with little damage free to go to fertal ground to create new messes.

If he does leave what a slap in the face to the U and fans that stood behind him during the acquisitions.
I'm not completely sure on this so correct me if I am wrong, but I think the NCAA has strengthened their penalties against coaches too. Wasn't Kelvin Sampson barred from coaching in the NCAA for five years after his last bout with the NCAA and recruiting violations?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-21-2018), jack72 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:57 AM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully that is true, not up to date on that subject.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Career-ending?

We don't know the facts...and for sure any school considering Miller will have to know the facts. But if he is heard on tape discussing paying players...$100K at that,...to come to UA, wouldn't that be career-ending as Bilas indicated when the story first broke? Paying players isn't like impermissible phone calls or practices or contact. There are few things worse.

Now if I was an AD and Miller looked me in the eye and said the allegations are completely false...and was willing to address the potential consequences in his contract....I'd believe him. SM knows whether or not he's guilty. If he's entirely clean and is otherwise happy at UA, why is he even considering a change as reported?
CE80 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM
General of the Air Force

I am sure his attorneys advised him to deny all alligations and sick to it as the burden of proof has yet been played. He has nothing to lose by sticking to his story as they may or may not have proof. If they do he is screwed either way, at least he keeps his job and reputation in tact for time being.

Tape could be inadmissible in court. Legal loophole, if so it would still find its way in media and court of public opinion would doom him in.

So play it out till proven.

As for looking at other jobs, have heard it mentioned before he or his family don't really care for Arizona the state. A Midwest boy might prefer 4 seasons. Plus his seat might have gotten a little warmer with an early exit
Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM
General of the Air Force

I am bad at posting Twitter links but I saw something that said Sean Miller is not a candidate for the Pitt job.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant General

I am bad at posting Twitter links but I saw something that said Sean Miller is not a candidate for the Pitt job.
He has officially made a statement that he is not a candidate for the Pitt job and he wishes them well in their search.
CE80 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
If you were Chris nose breaker mack, would you leave XU for U of L.?

Personally, I wouldn't. But what ya think? Cincinnati is a heck of a lot nicer than Louisville; and Xavier seems just as likely a final four program, and better chance of sustainable success in coming seasons as does U of L.

I wouldn't touch it!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute

Fines, sanctions, loss of scholarships, post season tournament bans, etc. should follow the coach to his new program if he was involved, unless he moves down a division. There, fixed. Anything else?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
If you were Chris nose breaker mack, would you leave XU for U of L.?

Personally, I wouldn't. But what ya think? Cincinnati is a heck of a lot nicer than Louisville; and Xavier seems just as likely a final four program, and better chance of sustainable success in coming seasons as does U of L.

I wouldn't touch it!
That's a tough call. His family is settled in Cincy but I believe his wife is from Lville and still has family there. I have to believe U of L will pay more. There may be come short term sanctions to deal with but that may give him a chance to breathe a bit. ACC is still a better conference than the BE. It's easy when it's not me but I would take it. Then again I have no affinity for the school that he would be leaving. I really don't have one for U of L either but I guess I hate them less.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
He has officially made a statement that he is not a candidate for the Pitt job and he wishes them well in their search.

Which is coach speak for I have been told by my peeps who reached out to you that you don't want me with my baggage so officially i'm not interested in your job.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-21-2018), UDGutter2 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM

That's a tough call. His family is settled in Cincy but I believe his wife is from Lville and still has family there. I have to believe U of L will pay more. There may be come short term sanctions to deal with but that may give him a chance to breathe a bit. ACC is still a better conference than the BE. It's easy when it's not me but I would take it. Then again I have no affinity for the school that he would be leaving. I really don't have one for U of L either but I guess I hate them less.
IMO, UL will pay a lot more than XU.

Also, ACC recruiting>BE, more TV money, greater prestige, much bigger fan base, much bigger arena, much more of a winning tradition, etc.

But, also, a lot more pressure.

Last edited by ud2; 03-21-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM

Louisville interim hc David Padgett was not given the ft hc job today BTW.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, UL will pay a lot more than XU.

Also, ACC recruiting>BE, more TV money, greater prestige, much bigger fan base, much bigger arena, much more of a winning tradition, etc.

But, also, a lot more pressure.
I think Mack looks at UofL very seriously, for all of the legit basketball reasons. And don't underestimate the influence of the person on the other side of the bed. I don't know much about Christy's relationship with her family, who it appears remains in Louisville, but that could be a big draw.

Dominos to fall - Mack to Louisville, Kelsey back to XU and Prosser takes the Winthrop HC job. *Kelsey to XU wouldn't be an automatic, but he'd be on the short list. XU could probably hire someone with more experience and success on the bigger stage, but XU has never really hired that way traditionally.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Hope Mack gets the UL job. Anything that brings even the slightest discomfort, upheaval, angst, disruption, etc., to Zavier, I am in favor of. They have gotten too lucky for too long. Time to stub your toe, step on a rake, f$%k the pooch, etc.

Last edited by N2663R; 03-21-2018 at 07:31 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018), flyerfanatic86 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I think Mack looks at UofL very seriously, for all of the legit basketball reasons. And don't underestimate the influence of the person on the other side of the bed. I don't know much about Christy's relationship with her family, who it appears remains in Louisville, but that could be a big draw.

Dominos to fall - Mack to Louisville, Kelsey back to XU and Prosser takes the Winthrop HC job. *Kelsey to XU wouldn't be an automatic, but he'd be on the short list. XU could probably hire someone with more experience and success on the bigger stage, but XU has never really hired that way traditionally.
I don't know what happened with Kelsey and UMass but I'm not sure he would be their first choice.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM
General

I bet Travis Steele would get promoted
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
Agree with OSU Flyer. I bet Travis Steele gets the job. That seems to be their MO, hire within.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by foolishpride View Post
Agree with OSU Flyer. I bet Travis Steele gets the job. That seems to be their MO, hire within.
Kelsey would be considered a “hire within”, albeit somewhat extended.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Multiple outlets reporting Danny Hurley is leaving URI for a 6-year deal at UConn, as rumored. Too bad for the A10, though Jon Rothstein is reporting assistant David Cox is essentially the head-coach-in-waiting and if they don’t hire him, he is owed a buyout. Good for continuity for them as he was their lead recruiter. Unproven as a head coach though.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-22-2018), Ready Action (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Multiple outlets reporting Danny Hurley is leaving URI for a 6-year deal at UConn, as rumored. Too bad for the A10, though Jon Rothstein is reporting assistant David Cox is essentially the head-coach-in-waiting and if they don’t hire him, he is owed a buyout. Good for continuity for them as he was their lead recruiter. Unproven as a head coach though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rhode Island's Dan Hurley is headed to UConn on a six-year deal, multiple sources told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sketball-coach
Old 03-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Hurley way overrated. He is a builder and his kids play for him and like him but he is not a Next level coach. The team this year did not finish strong and his two best years were when the conference was off in competition. An example is Archie handled him and out coached him with very similar teams. He is chasing the cash like they all do after all the Bull about family etc. Spent more time arguing with refs than coaching his team. Showed in the Duke game. Veteran team blown out by freshman and didn't compete. You would think with all the great games last week his team would show up and they didn't. Good move for Rhody.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Hurley way overrated. He is a builder and his kids play for him and like him but he is not a Next level coach. The team this year did not finish strong and his two best years were when the conference was off in competition. An example is Archie handled him and out coached him with very similar teams. He is chasing the cash like they all do after all the Bull about family etc. Spent more time arguing with refs than coaching his team. Showed in the Duke game. Veteran team blown out by freshman and didn't compete. You would think with all the great games last week his team would show up and they didn't. Good move for Rhody.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. Hurley is not my kind of guy but I think he is passionate but toned it down from his early years. That Duke team is good. Did I just say that? Hate to admit it. Hurley did a pretty good job and I think he is leaving more behind than Archie left. I don't want this to turn into a bashing Archie post and thread but look out how we finished Archie's last couple of years.
2016 lose in A10 semis to Joes and 1 and done in NCAAT with Syracuse.
2017 one in done in A10T losing to Davidson and one and done in NCAAT losing to Wich St.
URI did beat Oklahoma in NCAAT this year.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

I think he is going to struggle some at UConn, he has some coaching defiencies.

But, I think he is a good recruiter and a good motivator.

He will do OK at UConn, but I do not think that he is a great coach. I think Archie is better than Hurley.

Not a good move for Rhody though, they would be better off if he was still at Rhody, but they obviously were not able to hold onto him.

I wonder if there are any notable external candidates interested in replacing him, even though Cox is apparently replacing him.

Good luck to Rhody.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Utah State is apparently interested in Wright State hc Nagy.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-22-18/:

In yesterday’s Daily Dirt, I mentioned the search at Utah State. To update the list…I have been told to scratch off UC Davis head coach Jim Les. I’ve also been told that USU has shown interest in Wright State head coach Scott Nagy. More on this search as I hear it.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM

UConn confirms....

UConn.....it's Hurley.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM
General of the Air Force

I think he is going to struggle some at UConn, he has some coaching defiencies.

But, I think he is a good recruiter and a good motivator.

He will do OK at UConn, but I do not think that he is a great coach. I think Archie is better than Hurley.

Not a good move for Rhody though, they would be better off if he was still at Rhody, but they obviously were not able to hold onto him.

I wonder if there are any notable external candidates interested in replacing him, even though Cox is apparently replacing him.

Good luck to Rhody.
Now you are just f'n with us. You would not let the dead horse die because UD did not replace Archie with one of his assistants even though it was pretty clear to those close to the program that none was right for the job but now the URI is going to name their top assistant as HC, you are thinking they should be looking outside. Next thing you know, URI is going to show a 15/15 schedule and you are going to suggest that they should be playing more home games.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-22-2018), longtimefan (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Yeah, I'm not so sure I agree with all of this, certainly not to the degree and sharpness with which it's written. Although, I do agree that he talks to the refs too much. His assistants must be tremendous in-game coaches, since in a 40 minute game, he really only coaches for about 2 to 3 minutes.

If in fact their head coach in waiting is Cox and he is their lead recruiter, then I don't expect them to miss too much.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Now you are just f'n with us. You would not let the dead horse die because UD did not replace Archie with one of his assistants even though it was pretty clear to those close to the program that none was right for the job but now the URI is going to name their top assistant as HC, you are thinking they should be looking outside. Next thing you know, URI is going to show a 15/15 schedule and you are going to suggest that they should be playing more home games.
No, I am OK with them hiring Cox, but I would like to know who else is interested. If there is somebody great out there that is interested, then I might want them instead, there is no sense in boxing yourself in.

The process of replacing Hurley might go very quickly. Wright State, several years ago, named Donlon as hc 1 or 2 days after Brownell left, which was a mistake IMO. They should have left the job open for a week or 2 to see who else was interested.

I think it is probably a mistake for any school to just immediately name one of the assistants as the replacement.

I would have also been OK with hiring Dambrot or maybe Amaker, to replace Archie. I never saw much chatter about candidates, other than the list Mark Adams put out.

And we do not even know if Dambrot and/or Amaker were interested.

I just did not like the Grant hire.

And so what if people on here did not like one of Archie's assistants to be the guy, it is not like people on here are infallible. Everybody on here was behind the BG hire, and look how that turned out. BG was hired prior to my joining this board.

Adams' list:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...ams#post534855

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=60

Last edited by ud2; 03-22-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Hard to believe that Louisville did not just ride with Padgett until they see what the NCAA will do. There is mention of them getting the death penalty. Who takes that job now, no matter what the money is? Cannot see Mack giving it any consideration.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM

And if we are going to cite udpride posters as some great authority, then what about the poll below?

The large majority of people on here wanted one of Archie's assistants to replace Archie.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30787
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM
General of the Air Force

And if we are going to cite udpride posters as some great authority, then what about the poll below?

The large majority of people on here wanted one of Archie's assistants to replace Archie.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30787
Read my post again. I did not say anything about udpride posters in general. I said those close to the program.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Read my post again. I did not say anything about udpride posters in general. I said those close to the program.
Again, so what? Those close to the program liked the BG hire, what do they know?

Many of those same people wanted Archie fired in year 3. What do they know?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Brigadier General

Not too many dominos with this hire, but Walter McCarty - former UK standout/Boston Celtic player and current assistant has taken the Evansville job. Was an Evansville native.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...walter-mccarty
Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Again, so what? Those close to the program liked the BG hire, what do they know?

Many of those same people wanted Archie fired in year 3. What do they know?
Not talking about the Grant hire. This started because you questioned URI hiring an assistant. Opposite of what you were suggesting for UD.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Not talking about the Grant hire. This started because you questioned URI hiring an assistant. Opposite of what you were suggesting for UD.
Where did I ever question URI wanting to hire Cox??? Please show me. Now you are making stuff up.

All I said was that URI should explore all their options. I never once said that hiring Cox would be a bad move.

Quit making stuff up.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Louisville officials schedule meeting with Xavier coach Chris Mack for head coach opening

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ack/449257002/
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Saw a tweet that Pitt is now after Mark Schmidt of the Bonnies.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Saw a tweet that Pitt is now after Mark Schmidt of the Bonnies.
Good for him but that would be bad for A10.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of

John Calipari has made a career out of doing this.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
Mack is going to talk to Louisville

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...aching-vacancy
Old 03-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Good for him but that would be bad for A10.
Posted via Mobile Device

The A10 should just change its name to the Stepping Stone conference.
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Big Rob (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Jon Rothstein reporting that Dr G got the axe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Rothstein reporting that Dr G got the axe.
Posted via Mobile Device

If that is true, that is rough.

LaSalle needs something besides a high school gym before they need a new coach.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2018), SoTier Flyer (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM

How would you like to recruit the Phil region against the likes of Vill, Temple and St Joe when you can offer those facilities?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-23-2018), SeasonTicketFan (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:27 PM
General of the Air Force

LAS has been getting a lot of transfers. Nevada has shown that can work but I do think it can be difficult getting the chemistry right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
How would you like to recruit the Phil region against the likes of Vill, Temple and St Joe when you can offer those facilities?

...and even Penn State, as Philly guy Pat Chambers has been getting some good players from the Philly region.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM

LaSalle needs to find a new conference other than the A10. Dr. G. was actually an improvement for them.

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank
2016-2017 17-16 0.5344 101 0.5447 75
2015-2016 8-22 0.4619 233 0.5492 65
2014-2015 17-16 0.5344 101 0.5447 75
2013-2014 15-16 0.5391 98 0.5629 44
2012-2013 21-9 0.5900 46 0.5468 77
2011-2012 21-12 0.5521 86 0.5196 118
2010-2011 15-18 0.4953 169 0.5250 104
2009-2010 12-18 0.5012 173 0.5369 92
2008-2009 18-13 0.5263 112 0.5228 113
2007-2008 14-17 0.5026 163 0.5127 123
2006-2007 10-20 0.4349 268 0.4846 185
2005-2006 18-10 0.5353 103 0.4950 164
2004-2005 10-19 0.4688 214 0.5055 138
Dr. G. takes over

2003-2004 10-20 0.4811 188 0.5304 87
2002-2003 12-17 0.4902 172 0.5156 113
2001-2002 15-17 0.5051 145 0.5172 116
2000-2001 12-17 0.5025 147 0.5320 85
1999-2000 11-17 0.4901 169 0.5226 102
1998-1999 13-15 0.4880 172 0.4959 139
1997-1998 9-18 0.4798 176 0.5286 89
1996-1997 10-17 0.4825 176 0.5198 103
1995-1996 6-24 0.4724 190 0.5632 34
1994-1995 13-14 0.5077 133 0.5165 112
1993-1994 10-16 0.4930 171 0.5291 83
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Brigadier General

LaSalle needs to find a new conference other than the A10. Dr. G. was actually an improvement for them.

He took them to the Sweet 16, which is a minor miracle.
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Lieutenant General

YIKES!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM
General

They gave Dr. G a lot of time to get it done. It's clear at this point he wasn't able to build on the Sweet 16. With BJ Johnson and Tony Washington it seemed to me at least that things were going to worse next year.

Good move for them I think, not sure if the new guy will make them competitive but G wasn't going to get them there.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Say what you will about Dr. G, but he sure had BG's number. All I remember is miserable losses to LaSalle in game we should've won.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Say what you will about Dr. G, but he sure had BG's number. All I remember is miserable losses to LaSalle in game we should've won.
I remember the slow down game he got Archie with.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-23-2018), Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
and I think BG had a better record vs. LaSalle than Archie!
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 PM
General

Philly in general is a house of horrors for Dayton
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
Attended most Lasalle games when Archie coached....it was really odd their bigs always looked amazing against us...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Sitdowndigger For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 PM
General

A member of Kentucky media saying Chris Mack to Louisville is close to done
BRob2Perryman3 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 PM
Lieutenant General

I remember the slow down game he got Archie with.
I was screaming at the TV start pressing or running doubles at them to speed this game up!!!
UDGutter2 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
A member of Kentucky media saying Chris Mack to Louisville is close to done
https://www.diehards.com/louisville/...ack-deal-close:

Mack and Louisville were scheduled to meet this weekend and it appears conversations have already advanced rapidly, with Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio reporting that a deal is “close to complete.”
Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.diehards.com/louisville/...ack-deal-close:

Mack and Louisville were scheduled to meet this weekend and it appears conversations have already advanced rapidly, with Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio reporting that a deal is “close to complete.”
I might have to start watching some ACC basketball (again) next season, to see how Coach K and Ol’ Roy react to being trash-talked by one of Chri Smack’s new gangstas at UofL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
actually the gangsta stuff may be a bit less under "ball in face" Mack, as compared to slick Rick in his heyday......