User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I've been thinking. . .

I know, I know, UDGutter2 is thinking again, something stupid is about to come out, but hear me out. Had Dayton beaten Kansas, they may have gotten complacent. "We beat Kansas, we are the boss." Then come back and sqeak by Houston Baptist then lose bad to the St. Marys Roughriders and everything would sour. That may still happen, it remains to be seen.

But, Dayton lost to Kansas in OT after blowing an 8 point lead. I may be wrong, but I think this will light a fire under our beloved Flyers and they come out and win the next 4 big setting up the Colorado showdown in Chicago.

I think losing to Kansas may make the Flyers season as that loss leaves them with something to prove.

Just my thoughts.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (12-02-2019), CvilleFlyer (12-02-2019), FLYER5 (12-04-2019), jack72 (12-02-2019), Ready Action (12-02-2019), Viperstick (12-02-2019)
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking about something kind of similar. Don't get me wrong, you always want to win. And I'm not big into finding benefit in losses.

That said, I think there is some truth to the idea that had we beaten Kansas, we would have left feeling like we accomplished something big (which would have been true).

I think this team, as well as they played, left Maui angry. They did not accomplish their goal and this could help drive them when they get to March. They know they have a window to do something special - and they may only get once shot at this.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM
General

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
depends upon the mindset of the team, are they aiming to keep getting better, or do they think "hey we took Kansas' best shot and hung with them for 45 min, we're good vs everyone else on our schedule, we can turn it on come march"?

I think that knife can cut either way and not sure if a win or a lose would have changed the thinking much, they either are hungry to want to work for more, or happy being "who they are".
Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve seen it all. People thinking that it’s better to lose to Kansas than to win.

I agree with Medford. Win or lose they should have the same mindset
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (12-02-2019), UD62 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I know, I know, UDGutter2 is thinking again, something stupid is about to come out ....
Yep.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I know, I know, UDGutter2 is thinking again, something stupid is about to come out, but hear me out. Had Dayton beaten Kansas, they may have gotten complacent. "We beat Kansas, we are the boss." Then come back and sqeak by Houston Baptist then lose bad to the St. Marys Roughriders and everything would sour. That may still happen, it remains to be seen.

But, Dayton lost to Kansas in OT after blowing an 8 point lead. I may be wrong, but I think this will light a fire under our beloved Flyers and they come out and win the next 4 big setting up the Colorado showdown in Chicago.

I think losing to Kansas may make the Flyers season as that loss leaves them with something to prove.

Just my thoughts.
Roughriders. Are you from up north?
Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
Roughriders. Are you from up north?
What gave it away? Lol
Old 12-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
UDGutter, I was sitting here scratching my head, thinking "Roughriders?" Now I see you're from Coldwater, near St. Marys. I have a weekend home in St. Marys. Then it hit me...that's the HS nickname.
Think Gaels for our game, lol.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
I’ve seen it all. People thinking that it’s better to lose to Kansas than to win.

I agree with Medford. Win or lose they should have the same mindset
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think anyone is saying it's better to lose to Kansas. We all wanted to win. I think this is a rare case where something good can still be taken from a loss. My opinion (I have no inside information) is that a loss like this can make a team hungrier.

It's easy for us to sit here and say "they should always be ready to play for every game" - but the reality is that it's not that easy...even for professionals (just ask the Eagles who just lost to the Dolphins).

And we're not talking about professionals here - we're talking about college kids. They may require some extra motivation as the season moves on. I think the Kansas game left a bad taste in our mouths and I think we will get a benefit from that.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,538 Times in 783 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
I've been thinking too . . .

. . . and I'm going to enjoy the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3puoynrExA
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it's better to lose to Kansas. We all wanted to win. I think this is a rare case where something good can still be taken from a loss. My opinion (I have no inside information) is that a loss like this can make a team hungrier.

It's easy for us to sit here and say "they should always be ready to play for every game" - but the reality is that it's not that easy...even for professionals (just ask the Eagles who just lost to the Dolphins).

And we're not talking about professionals here - we're talking about college kids. They may require some extra motivation as the season moves on. I think the Kansas game left a bad taste in our mouths and I think we will get a benefit from that.
And to add this was a game UD should feel they "gave away".....Up 8 points and 3-4 careless TO's in a row or something like that. The old UD program should feel that the loss was really a win in most accounts but this current squad should feel like they left a W out there and had it within their grasp. That should carry quite a motivating factor going forward...
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-04-2019), MNFats (12-03-2019), Runnin' Rebel (12-03-2019), UDGutter2 (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
And to add this was a game UD should feel they "gave away".....Up 8 points and 3-4 careless TO's in a row or something like that. The old UD program should feel that the loss was really a win in most accounts but this current squad should feel like they left a W out there and had it within their grasp. That should carry quite a motivating factor going forward...

There was a bad call in there too. I believe it was Landers who threw the ball off the arm of a Kansas player. Everybody saw it (including Bilas) except the officials. Not saying it cost them the game, but it did cost them a possession at a very critical point in the game.

Last edited by longtimefan; 12-03-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
I hope so! I think we will find out in the first eight minutes tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
'"There was a bad call in there too. I believe it was Landers who threw the ball off the arm of a Kansas player. Everybody saw it (including Bilas) except the officials. Not saying it cost them the game but it did cost them a possession. "

Yes, everyone saw the blown ref call on Trey's great play (Trey worked his butt off during the game) ... however within 30 seconds (1 min) IMO the zebras gave UD a make up call ... by calling a questionable KS turnover when Kansas had the ball on offense.