UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's Innovations

In the past, I have critical of UD administration for lacking innovation to propel forward. Well, I think Archie demonstrated the innovations he brought to UD.

Here is what I think that Archie brought that was/is new and different.

1) Recruiting of transfers. Granted this is still a fairly new trend, but UD was not really into this game. Archie recruited 3 transfers and 2 were absolutely critical for the run. Now way, the team goes deep without Sibert and Sanford. One did not work out, but the other two were very, very good.

2) 365 day a year skill development. Archie works every day of the year on basketball skill development. AAU coaches don't work on it so many players are arriving lacking good fundamentals. BG concentrated most of his efforts on rebounding and defense. Important points, but what do you think a measured 365 days system could have done for Chris Wright? Chris would be a better shooter and ball handler. No doubt in my mind. Look at Devin Oliver. Early in the year, most people did not want to shoot a 3. At the end of the year, he is a leader in 3 point percentage. His form and technique improved dramatically from his sophomore year. Can Archie do this for Kendall and Kyle? If so, look out!

3) Recruit in Canada and Louisiana. How many players from those areas have played for UD before. Again, critical decision making to look outside of traditional areas for key players.

4) Rest Players in February. BG would say the players can rest in the off season. His team always had injury practices and the flu. Every year. Classic signs of over work. Jim Crews burned out the St. Louis seniors. Archie's team had fresher legs in the tournament. He tried to keep them mentally and physically fresh. Too often coaches want players to work harder, run harder in season and while losing. Sometimes, the opposite is needed. What does it take to keep players fresh and loose?

5) Archie uses KenPom alot. Some people don't like data driven coaching. He said he stopped in January when he became too obsessed, But... KenPom showed him the obvious areas of work. UD was 175th in the nation in defense. Archie knew the team had offensive talent, but lacked defensive results. When their defense improved, they won games including close games. I think they finish around 75th in the nation. That defense was critical in all three NCAA tournament wins.

There are probably a couple more that I forgot.

Archie brought some new, clever thinking to UD. In year 3, it paid off well. You could argue that he beat Ohio State and Syracuse that had superior talent. On paper, I would agree, but Archie and the team figured out how to win.

You can argue that these are not innovations, but I would argue that they are big innovations. His approach was different than his predecessors and his results were faster. Some parts of coaching is the same. You have to out score your opponent, play fundamentals, defense, rebound etc...

He impressed UD with his ideas during his job interview. I think you now see why Tim Wabler hired him and extended him. Tim was able to see this thinking before the public saw it.

I hope this think differently approach continues. You have to be good as well as clever to compete against these rich powerful teams that dominate the NCAA tournament every year. Archie used an innovative formula this year. Stay tuned.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
STF, as the BG era got into and beyond @ Year 5, I specifically wondered about your 2nd & 4th observations.

First, regarding skill development, we didn't see guys improving their shooting or ball-handling that much in 4 years' time in the program. To wit: CW shot 80% from the line as a frosh and 60% as a senior. LW shot 55% as a frosh and 58% as a senior. MJ shot 59% as a frosh and 63% as a senior. That's not what I'd call noticeable improvement. And while it may still be too early to tell how well the AM era will work out in this regard, the program certainly seemed to work for DMO, who became one of the most well-rounded players we've seen around here in awhile, at least on offense. If guys like JR & SS come back next year with better handles, better shooting form, etc., then IMHO we're definitely on a better arc now than we were 4-5 years ago.

Regarding the February practices, I couldn't agree more, and the results pretty much speak for themselves. In BG's last 3 years, his in-con records broken down by 1st half/2nd half were:

2010-11: 4-4/3-5
2009-10: 5-3/3-5
2008-09: 7-1/4-4

That's a 3-year arc of 16-8/10-14 - a 2-game swing per year! Much has been said on this board about BG's in-con records in general, but I never went back to check for a "fatigue differential" until tonight. Those teams simply wore-out as the seasons went on. It looks like the better strategy is to get the guys in shape & drill them on fundamentals in October, November, & December, and then work on strategy & the mental side of the game in January, February, & March.

Next year will be a telling year. If we finish in the top 3-4 in the A10 regular season, with a record of @ 22-9 or better heading into the conference tourney, despite the loss of 3 key players from this year's squad, then I will be firmly convinced that we are on the right track. From what I've seen these last 2 months, I'll be surprised if we DON'T do it. And AM's ability to learn and adapt was a key to this year's success, and that gives me reason to believe we WILL do it next year.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The fatigue factor hurt St. Louis this year. The team did not use its bench and it's seniors were banged up and tired. They played a lot of close games too. At the end of the season Jim Crews said the season was too long.

More than a few teams looked fatigued at the end of the season. Their records in February and March looked bad.

Scheduling can make a difference for February records. This year, the first 4-5 games were against the top of the conference. The middle was soft and the last 4 were against the top of the conference. That helped the team have a better record going into the last 4 games and peak.

Former BG players would talk about how brutal and physical practices were. I think that hurt his teams down the stretch mentally and physically.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Archie said he deleted the Ken Pom ap off of his iPhone. Don't know if he reinstalled it or not.

One "innovation" I noticed was that Archie closed the locker room off to the media. Doug Hauschild will ask who the media wants to talk to and they come out and are interviewed outside in the hall. Under BG, it was open to all media plus any recruits in attendance. Archie's way makes the locker room more of a players' private sanctuary.