User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
It's the bunnies, boys.....

Tough game for UD last night. Game started out beautifully.........Biggest issue they had defensively,imo, was fighting thru,over or under the screen at the 15-18' mark to Otis Livingston. Jordan Davis let a dreadful offensive game get into his head and it carried right over to his defense as he was mainly on him at least into the latter part of the 2nd half when they switched over to Crutcher.

CAG benched him and kept him on the bench partly because Cohill was finally living up to his lofty status and hit some big shots but also because CAG simply could not afford to have Davis on the floor defensively either..Yes, Jordan Davis has met a ton of adversity so far this year, fought thru it, and he'll be a much better player for it down the road..

Biggest take away for me were the 6-7 missed bunny/layop/ around the rim misses by this team in the first half. Some were on takes to the rack but several were on fast breaks both with the numbers and w/o the numbers. Still, UD took a 2 point lead into halftime which needed to be 8-10 points just based on the easy buckets they did not fight thru, for, or finish hard and fight thru contact. THAT should not be a CAG type team...

Ironically, and I actually missed this play but both heard it on the radio thru Larry and from others, that with a 3 point lead in the 2nd half at appx. the 2:30 mark Jordan Davis went coast-to-coast and missed another layup (yes, there were even a couple cribs missed in the 2nd half) that would have electrified the crowd and given UD a 5 point lead.....I'm not a huge betting guy but i'm laying $$$ down that UD finishes that game with a W..

We can talk about the 25 plus shots our guards took and the far less amount our BIGS took but it's been like that all year. Crutcher is a 40 % plus 3 point shooter and Davis has been as good a player/ scorer as there is in the A10 the past 3-4 games so, naturally, they're still going to shoot the ball because that's what scorers/shooters do...

Gotta give GM credit for clamping down, crowding and bumping Crutcher, and getting both some steals at the end of the game and creating TO's....I've said it anywhere from 1-20 times that Crutcher is a very good player but he's learning the PG position NOW....He's a PG that has real issues going hard to his left with the ball and gets over-played hard going to his right. I thought GM bumped him hard more than once that should have been called.As long as this is the case UD is not going to easily beat teams with low-post entry passes or dump downs...They don't have enough players that can create offense off the bounce or shake and get into the lane and they have to rely on cutters and crisp passes and even a few of those were picked off last night.

Again, it all comes back to finishing plays and UD missed a good 7-8 layins/layups/ plays at the rim that they/ any team simply has to take advantage of for easy points especially for a team both described above and a team that due to rebounding, short bench, etc. is not utilizing a fast-break game near as much as they'd like to..
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Ironically, and I actually missed this play but both heard it on the radio thru Larry and from others, that with a 3 point lead in the 2nd half at appx. the 2:30 mark Jordan Davis went coast-to-coast and missed another layup (yes, there were even a couple cribs missed in the 2nd half) that would have electrified the crowd and given UD a 5 point lead.....I'm not a huge betting guy but i'm laying $$$ down that UD finishes that game with a W..
If it is the same play I'm thinking of, one of the UD bigs was under the basket, and Jordan crossed from right to left on the lane and did an underhanded type of shot and it missed. If he had just stayed on the right side of the lane, drew the defender, he could have possibly dished it to the UD big who could go straight up for the bucket.

Sometimes, I wonder if the team loses the "team" aspect of the game. Early on in the game, lots of team ball, draw the defender then dish to a teammate, later in the game not so much.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-24-2019), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-25-2019), steve (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
If it is the same play I'm thinking of, one of the UD bigs was under the basket, and Jordan crossed from right to left on the lane and did an underhanded type of shot and it missed. If he had just stayed on the right side of the lane, drew the defender, he could have possibly dished it to the UD big who could go straight up for the bucket.

Sometimes, I wonder if the team loses the "team" aspect of the game. Early on in the game, lots of team ball, draw the defender then dish to a teammate, later in the game not so much.
I heard the game on the radio ..... I recall the same thing ... the Larry & Bucky show even mentioned the good passing and selfless play early on. Then late in the 2nd half a comment was made about Jordan's missed lay-up and why didn't he give the ball to (was it Obie or Josh)?

I had an image in my mind while listening to the game that GM defense and our style of play seemed to occur at about the same time. Not sure which happened first.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
That was a crucial play in the game. Jordan had Obi going to the hoop but he chose to take it himself and it ended badly, as did other fast-break attempts. I commented on the board during the game that the Flyers had a horrible night finishing on fast-breaks. That particular play was the worst of perhaps six failed fast-breaks.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,343 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Bunnies and free throws... hard to believe with all of the physical play on Cunningham and Crutcher last night, that Josh only shot 3 free throws and Jalen shot none!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,107 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
That was a crucial play in the game. Jordan had Obi going to the hoop but he chose to take it himself and it ended badly, as did other fast-break attempts. I commented on the board during the game that the Flyers had a horrible night finishing on fast-breaks. That particular play was the worst of perhaps six failed fast-breaks.
What aggravated me the most is that I believe Obi could have finished both of the fast break play (i think there were 2 of them in the second half) as good as a freshmen Chris Wright would have ( if you compare CW to OT). I believe Obi would have flushed both as dunks. The guards need to utilize the big guy. Not only would he have delivered- it would have frenzy’d the home crowd. I got a feeling there’s going to be a lesson taken on that one. I hope I don’t see those missed opportunities again this year. Let Obi flush it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2019, 03:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
What aggravated me the most is that I believe Obi could have finished both of the fast break play (i think there were 2 of them in the second half) as good as a freshmen Chris Wright would have ( if you compare CW to OT). I believe Obi would have flushed both as dunks. The guards need to utilize the big guy. Not only would he have delivered- it would have frenzy’d the home crowd. I got a feeling there’s going to be a lesson taken on that one. I hope I don’t see those missed opportunities again this year. Let Obi flush it!
Posted via Mobile Device
as Austin Carr would say - let him throw the hammer down.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Bring back Kyle Davis to teach Jordan how to finish.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
Bring back Kyle Davis to teach Jordan how to finish.
Right hand from the left side?

(KD did make the shots)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
It wasn't always pretty but pound for pound I would take KD to finish on the fast break over anyone. Didn't seem to matter how contested the shot was, or difficult the angle.

Jordan looks smoother, but I've never seen a guy miss so many at the rim.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I love Obi but he needs to stop handing the ball to the other team. That was really the turning point in the game. We were up one with the ball when he threw it to GM. All of a sudden we were one down. He did the same thing against UMass, but we were able to recover from that one.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
About a week ago someone posted that Jordan can finish like KD, and I, and probably many, thought "right on, man." Now the poor guy has a dreadful night and does not finish, and he is cow dung. Give me a break. Kyle missed some in his career (62% shooter on two's), as did Chapman, Don May, et al. Jordan will be back! The kid is a sophomore. and already a stud.

And don't get me started on some people's comparison of Crutcher after a 1 1/2 year to our memory of Scoochie after 4 years...
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
There's bunnies...and then there are BUNNIES!

CT Flyer (01-25-2019), Jeff (01-25-2019)