Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Captain

UD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to all
IT - Streaming Video

I have a question about video streaming. Last year I had some difficulty with it. I had some very "choppy" broadcasts and for a few games it was so bad that I gave up. But sometimes it worked fine.

I have a relatively new Dell desktop and a pretty powerful Dell laptop from work and had the same problem on both.

I have Verizon DSL my connection says 100MB/s.

Anyone with some computer knowledge have any suggestions for how I can reduce my frustration this season...
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Academy Doolie

vfly is a jewel in the roughvfly is a jewel in the roughvfly is a jewel in the rough
The 100 MB/s isn't your speed on the internet, try running an internet speed test like this one: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

There is not much else I know of you can do on your end, most of the problems seemed to be on the server last year (on the few games I watched anyway). Hopefully they will improve things on their end this year.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
I had problems too it alwayd had to stop to buffer, might have been because I was on a shared connection in the dorm rooms and slowed down with more users but it might just be my laptop.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Captain

UD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vfly View Post
The 100 MB/s isn't your speed on the internet, try running an internet speed test like this one: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

There is not much else I know of you can do on your end, most of the problems seemed to be on the server last year (on the few games I watched anyway). Hopefully they will improve things on their end this year.
OK. I tried this. 1530KBps. Is that too slow?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UD93 Steve View Post
Is that you download or upload speed.
For comparison I just did this test and my results were:
6908 for the download and 492 for the upload.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
Is that you download or upload speed.
For comparison I just did this test and my results were:
6908 for the download and 492 for the upload.
That was download. What service do you have Cable? DSL?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
That was download. What service do you have Cable? DSL?
I have cable which is supposed to be around 6MB. Your download speed is on the slow side.
What speed did you sign up for?

Last edited by Furio; 10-04-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Academy Doolie

vfly is a jewel in the roughvfly is a jewel in the roughvfly is a jewel in the rough
That should be fast enough. I don't remember what they streamed at last year, but most of the stuff I've watched lately is around 300-400 Kbps and it's watchable at that rate.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 AM
2nd Lieutenant

jonji
Can you watch videos fine on sites like Hulu.com, NBC.com, CBS.com, etc.? If so, then it is likely that neither your computer nor your internet connection is at fault. I imagine the network resources allocated to streaming the Dayton games were not sufficient to support the number of users watching, and the technology they are using just isn't well developed enough to create an optimal data stream. In short, I highly suspect there is little you personally can do beyond writing them.

Which sucks. Horribly.