User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Remember too that St. Joes gets Charlie Brown and Lamarr Kimble back from injury
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
The Hawks could be the favorite to finish 1st in the conference next year. Mason should be up there, too, with a 5th place finish this year and all that experience returning. If our guys develop as hoped/expected, we could at least be top 4 again next year (but anything below @ 6/7 won’t be “progress” as far as I’m concerned).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
The Hawks could be the favorite to finish 1st in the conference next year. Mason should be up there, too, with a 5th place finish this year and all that experience returning. If our guys develop as hoped/expected, we could at least be top 4 again next year (but anything below @ 6/7 won’t be “progress” as far as I’m concerned).
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems like to me that Rhode Island (assuming they hold onto their core if Hurley goes and hire a competent coach who brings some help in), VCU, Mason, St. Joes, Davidson and St. Louis are the top teams in the league with us next year.

Everyone save Mason loses some pieces. I'd agree that with no one in my opinion looking like a clear front runner, I think if St Joes is healthy with no front runner I'd give the nod to them. Charlie Brown who missed this year had a really good freshman year for them and Taylor Funk seems like he's on his way to being an all conference player.

St. Louis loses Roby but I think they'll have a really good frontline with French, Foreman & Jalen Johnson.

They bring in Carte'Are Gordon, a 6-foot-9, 255-pound power forward who's the highest ranked recruit in the A10. He had a legit offer from Kansas so I would think this guys pretty legit. He's the highest ranked recruit anyone in the A10 has brought in since Shaka signed Terry Larrier I believe.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm excited for George Mason next year. They've struggled since their addition and have received hell for it. Would be nice to see them pull their weight with a good season. This year's finish was a solid first step.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM
General

Casey Cathrall, the strength & conditioning, might be the most important guy on the staff right now. This guy was a fantastic hire by Grant compared to what the S&C guy was doing under Archie. We moved from doing machines to Olympic/compound movements which is what basically the conventional wisdom now from your local gym to the Patriots.

Kostas- He really needs 20lbs of muscle added to his frame. If he gets some strength and combines that with his height & athleticism then he will be bar none the most physically talented big man to ever play at Dayton. Really hope he's on campus working this offseason and not globe trotting

Crutcher- He needs to add strength desperately. Someone had a thread talking about getting to the basket. Crutch is going to be so much better at being able to absorb/handle contact around the basket when he adds strength. Being able to absorb contact is gonna get him to the free throw line more too.

Look at the VCU game. If you watch closely there were many instances of Williams just overpowering him on the offensive and defensive end. Williams is a physical senior point guard and that was bothering Crutch at times

Jordan Davis- He's not scrawny but like Trey Landers as a freshman he could lose some body fat and gain some muscle.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
The coach is still pushing the guy out the door. That conversation is only ending with one result. It's like the guy that resigns after coming to "mutual" decision instead of getting fired. Or that break-up that was "mutual" when you really got dumped.

People love to say things are "mutual" as a way to spin or rationalize them. They're only kidding themselves.
On the other hand, please don't say "book it" or "lock". That is equally as presumptuous.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Was his scholarship pulled? Technically, no. Did he have a choice? No.
That would be true, if it wasn't false. The article clearly stated the school has a rule specifically saying that he has the right to return if he wants to. Sure, this is an extreme case, but what I'm trying to say (and this will be the last time I try) is that there is a difference in this scenario and a scholarship being pulled. Putting this kid in the same group as guys who get kicked out for disciplinary issues is unfair to this kid.

And if I was in a recruiting battle for a kid against Archie, you better believe I would make sure his parents knew about this. If you honestly think a parent wouldn't care about this when thinking about their son's future, then I don't know what to tell you. How a program treats players is part of that decision.

EDIT: You also said that "every team does it." My point was that it's actually pretty rare. You found one example. Proud of you!

Last edited by MNFats; 03-10-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
That would be true, if it wasn't false. The article clearly stated the school has a rule specifically saying that he has the right to return if he wants to. Sure, this is an extreme case, but what I'm trying to say (and this will be the last time I try) is that there is a difference in this scenario and a scholarship being pulled. Putting this kid in the same group as guys who get kicked out for disciplinary issues is unfair to this kid.

And if I was in a recruiting battle for a kid against Archie, you better believe I would make sure his parents knew about this. If you honestly think a parent wouldn't care about this when thinking about their son's future, then I don't know what to tell you. How a program treats players is part of that decision.

EDIT: You also said that "every team does it." My point was that it's actually pretty rare. You found one example. Proud of you!
He can return to school, but not as a basketball player. That is pretty clear in the article. Type "pulled scholarship" or something similar in your google machine if you want more examples. This isn't rare and gives a better glimpse into these "mutual" parting of the ways. It's obvious that the PR spin the university puts out there works on some and that's why they do it.

Last edited by bcross; 03-10-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 02:40 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It will be interesting with the much deeper bench next year to see if we crank up the pressure and start implementing a pesky full court press. I expect and hope we will.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (03-10-2018), redbengal (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
It is a “one year” scholarship not a four year. I remember Bobby Knight telling a kid that his scholarship was not being renewed. Both sides talk and when a kid wants to transfer to a school that the coach doesn’t like then the BS starts.

I lost my swami hat years ago so like everyone else have a 50/50 chance of being right. I do believe the kids have a right to some privacy and we have no right to know about injuries or academic. We will find out if the school decides to release it.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:50 PM
General

John Crosby didn’t see the court Saturday for the Dayton Flyers.

That wasn’t as surprising as the fact that walk-on guard Jack Westerfield moved ahead of them in the rotation, at least in this game.

“He busts his butt in practice,” Dayton guard Jalen Crutcher said. “He plays good defense. He does whatever coach says. I guess that’s why.”

“He shows up day in and day out to practice, always on time,” Dayton guard Trey Landers said. “He’s just bought into what coach (Anthony) Grant wants. When Jack gets in the game, he does what he does and plays to his strengths, and that’s getting him some time on the floor.”

“I really hadn’t looked at it as a statement,” Grant said. “Other than I felt like he would help us, so he got the opportunity.”

“My thing is in order to sub or play, somebody’s got to come out,” Grant said. “As a coach, you have to make a decision. Who puts you in the best position to have success? That’s all we’re trying to do. It’s never about an individual. I love all of our guys. I think they’re great people. But at the end of the day, my job is to accomplish the mission, and that’s to put the best team out there that gives us the best chance to have success a a team. That’s what we try to do. The guys we played today we thought gave us the best chance.”

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...VNeneNyZjMDxM/

You read that, look at Crosby's PT in non blow out situations and it's tough for me to think that Crosby isn't in the doghouse to some degree.
Flyer 86 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
It is a “one year” scholarship not a four year. I remember Bobby Knight telling a kid that his scholarship was not being renewed. Both sides talk and when a kid wants to transfer to a school that the coach doesn’t like then the BS starts.

I lost my swami hat years ago so like everyone else have a 50/50 chance of being right. I do believe the kids have a right to some privacy and we have no right to know about injuries or academic. We will find out if the school decides to release it.
Read the article bcross posted. It actually is a 4 year scholarship. They have a rule preventing the school from taking the scholarship away for on court performance. The only way they can force the kid out is for off-court issues.

It used to be a "year-to-year" thing. That changed in 2011. Schools can offer multiple year scholarships now. And schools (like it mentioned in the article) can put in their own rules preventing coaches from doing what Archie wanted to do.

bcross - most of the "scholarship pulling" out there are coaches pulling scholarships prior to a player signing. That's a different thing, but still uncool.

Last edited by MNFats; 03-10-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Pulling or at least attempting to pull scholarships is not new and not restricted to big schools. My brother in law was on a football scholarship to Bucknell in the early seventies and injured his knee. The coach tried to pull his scholarship and it took his future father in law, a labor union president, to make it clear to the coach that that was not a plan that would be allowed to happen.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
Read the article bcross posted. It actually is a 4 year scholarship. They have a rule preventing the school from taking the scholarship away for on court performance. The only way they can force the kid out is for off-court issues.

It used to be a "year-to-year" thing. That changed in 2011. Schools can offer multiple year scholarships now. And schools (like it mentioned in the article) can put in their own rules preventing coaches from doing what Archie wanted to do.

bcross - most of the "scholarship pulling" out there are coaches pulling scholarships prior to a player signing. That's a different thing, but still uncool.
They can still pull the athletic scholarship for on court performance, it's just that the kid would go on an academic scholarship instead and not be permitted to be part of the basketball program. That frees up a scholarship for the athletic program, while the now former athlete still receives the financial benefit of the scholarship.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I must have missed something with Xeyrius and Pierce. You guys seem (generally) to be furious with them, and I guess they aren't coming back based on the general expectation here. What exactly did they allegedly do? What confirmation is there? I know they weren't even at some games. Any indication why?
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Pierce does not care and walks away from individual position coaching. Just attitude.
With X it’s a bad back or not caring anymore. Lots of speculation but we will have to wait and see what comes out. Really miss our student spy’s like we’ve had in the past.
Expected a lot more than what we got out of either of them.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Also, for all those graduation losses, Rhody will still have a decent core to build around. Russell in the backcourt and Langevine up front are pretty good. But yeah, they’ll definitely have some holes to plug.
And you forgot their best returner, Dowtin.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
And supposedly the recruiting class is loaded
Old 03-11-2018, 11:38 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
And supposedly the recruiting class is loaded
If Hurley leaves, that class more than likely would get decimated like us when we lost McKinley and Naz
Old 03-11-2018, 12:57 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I did. Thanks, CT Flyer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
John Crosby didn’t see the court Saturday for the Dayton Flyers.

That wasn’t as surprising as the fact that walk-on guard Jack Westerfield moved ahead of them in the rotation, at least in this game.

“He busts his butt in practice,” Dayton guard Jalen Crutcher said. “He plays good defense. He does whatever coach says. I guess that’s why.”

“He shows up day in and day out to practice, always on time,” Dayton guard Trey Landers said. “He’s just bought into what coach (Anthony) Grant wants. When Jack gets in the game, he does what he does and plays to his strengths, and that’s getting him some time on the floor.”

“I really hadn’t looked at it as a statement,” Grant said. “Other than I felt like he would help us, so he got the opportunity.”

“My thing is in order to sub or play, somebody’s got to come out,” Grant said. “As a coach, you have to make a decision. Who puts you in the best position to have success? That’s all we’re trying to do. It’s never about an individual. I love all of our guys. I think they’re great people. But at the end of the day, my job is to accomplish the mission, and that’s to put the best team out there that gives us the best chance to have success a a team. That’s what we try to do. The guys we played today we thought gave us the best chance.”

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...VNeneNyZjMDxM/

You read that, look at Crosby's PT in non blow out situations and it's tough for me to think that Crosby isn't in the doghouse to some degree.
I know nothing of the true situation, but Crosby impresses me as a kid whose feelings are easily hurt. Possibly not the thickest of skins. And not really a vocal leader, either. Perhaps Grant is looking for a “take-charge” attitude out of his PG (pretty understandable), and Crosby just doesn’t have that mindset.

Just a few random thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 PM
General

1st bracketology. P5/BE & American only multibids. Davidson A10 champ, St Joes next 4 out

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
Old 04-04-2018, 11:13 PM
General of the Air Force

1st bracketology. P5/BE & American only multibids. Davidson A10 champ, St Joes next 4 out

Don't know how much stock we can put in a prediction 7 months before the season starts. Interesting that he has Loyola as an 11-Seed after a Final Four appearance (Really? Not even on the 8/9 Line?) and that he has our "friends" from Norwood dropping all the way from a #1 Seed down to the 8/9 line. I know they lost a coach and some players, but still - quite a drop.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 AM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

No Arizona, Miller is guilty then I guess. Louisville is in? What about the upcoming sanctions?
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 AM
General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
No Arizona, Miller is guilty then I guess. Louisville is in? What about the upcoming sanctions?
it'll take years for those to hit, the NCAA just now got them for the stripper incident years ago
Old 04-05-2018, 02:21 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2
No Arizona, Miller is guilty then I guess.
They had 4 players graduate and 3 declare early for the draft leaving 6 players on the roster for 2018-19. Of the six, four were freshman this past season and the other 2 will be RS Jrs, one of which sat out this previous season due to transferring in. So far, Sean also only has 1 assistant for next season. I am sure Arizona will eventually get some new recruits so they could appear in future brackets depending on how that plays out.

Last edited by NCkevi; 04-05-2018 at 02:23 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know how much stock we can put in a prediction 7 months before the season starts. Interesting that he has Loyola as an 11-Seed after a Final Four appearance (Really? Not even on the 8/9 Line?) and that he has our "friends" from Norwood dropping all the way from a #1 Seed down to the 8/9 line. I know they lost a coach and some players, but still - quite a drop.
We were a 7 a year ago and didn't get in this year...quite a worse drop.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 PM
General

"A-10: This is a tricky one. Will there be a team in the Power 36? Maybe not to start, but there are plenty of teams vying for spots. The consensus seems to be to lean toward Saint Joseph’s with Charlie Brown and Lamar Kimble back or Saint Louis with Jordan Goodwin, Jalen Johnson, Hasahn French and Javon Bess. But, don’t for a second dismiss Davidson. The Wildcats have a star in Kellan Grady. Yes, Peyton Aldridge is gone, but Davidson will be in the mix to win the league. Book it. Rhode Island is still a toss-up based on who returns and the unknowns seem to be VCU and Dayton. Regardless, the league should be deeper."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...019-contenders
MNFats (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM
General

3 A-10 teams in the The Athletic's "Way Too Early" Mid-Major top 25. RI was #9, Davidson #14 and SLU #18.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:28 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
3 A-10 teams in the The Athletic's "Way Too Early" Mid-Major top 25. RI was #9, Davidson #14 and SLU #18.
Who are the other 22 teams? We are not even in the mid-major top 25?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:37 PM

The article is blocked by a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/300259/2018/...-major-top-25/:

Any team that is not in the top seven conferences (ACC, American, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) or Gonzaga (which as I've explained many times does not operate under the same constraints as the teams on this list) will be considered a mid-major. As Loyola-Chicago proved this season, that's far from an insult. With that in mind, here's a way-too-early mid-major top 25:

1. Nevada
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
We are not even in the mid-major top 25?
They don't think highly of Dayton's chances for next year
Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
They don't think highly of Dayton's chances for next year
Sure, based on this year and the massive turnover, it's easy to see why. We'll have a better idea once we see what, if any, new recruits we have available for next year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-06-2018), CvilleFlyer (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Given the amount of transfer and still unclaimed incoming Freshmen available, these prognostications aren't worth the paper they are written on. I guess that is an old school comment given this digital age.

Call me crazy but I'm excited for next year. The way I see it we lost a guard who improved immensely but really didn't fit AG's dribble drive scheme and a 6'10 kid who had a lot of potential but really didn't produce much. That's it.

SO FAR, we gain a top 100 recruit (who does fit AG's system), two juniors--one who has multiple NCAA game experience (admittedly, the other we don't know much about), and a freshman 6'8 kid who I've read "could be special". Add in two soon to be sophomores and a soon to be jr who were OJT'ing all year--all three should be improved.

That right there is a better team than this year's team.

Now, add in atleast one grad transfer, a top JUCO player, and another freshman recruit. The other two scholarships can be transfers that need to sit a year or hold the scholly. I think this team will compete for a championship in a much improved A10.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 PM
General

the author did say the list was 'way too early'

national writers are going to be big on what a team has coming back especially for a mid major list. Very few known high impact freshmen for the teams on the list.

Interesting to see what people are saying
Old 04-07-2018, 08:10 AM
General

I look at that April 4th bracketology less from the seeding stand point and more on the perception of the leagues and the scheduling implications.

The ACC has 11 teams in that projection. If I'm an ACC coach like Brad Brownell at Clemson and I've got 10 other potential tourney caliber teams in my conference and I'm going to play 20 games in league (I realize ACC isn't going to 20 till 19/20) there's no way I'm going to take many risks out of conference. ACC/B10 challenge which I have to play and South Carolina who I play every year. That's 22 games against high caliber competition.

The Dukes, UNCs and Michigan States will always set up a few high profile, made for TV OOC games. If I'm an Iowa, Clemson, Nebraska type mid level program in those leagues I'm playing a soft OOC and taking my chances getting victories in conference. .500 (10-10) in league play is going to be even more viable for an at large bid than 9-9. 2-3 quality opponents in OOC with 7-9 cupcakes thrown in.
springborofan (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:27 AM
General

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018...a-state-loyola

another mid major top 25

7. Davidson
18. Saint Louis
24. Rhode Island

Davidson getting a lot of love right now. Great backcourt but I think there's some major question marks in their front court
Old 04-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I look at that April 4th bracketology less from the seeding stand point and more on the perception of the leagues and the scheduling implications.

The ACC has 11 teams in that projection. If I'm an ACC coach like Brad Brownell at Clemson and I've got 10 other potential tourney caliber teams in my conference and I'm going to play 20 games in league (I realize ACC isn't going to 20 till 19/20) there's no way I'm going to take many risks out of conference. ACC/B10 challenge which I have to play and South Carolina who I play every year. That's 22 games against high caliber competition.

The Dukes, UNCs and Michigan States will always set up a few high profile, made for TV OOC games. If I'm an Iowa, Clemson, Nebraska type mid level program in those leagues I'm playing a soft OOC and taking my chances getting victories in conference. .500 (10-10) in league play is going to be even more viable for an at large bid than 9-9. 2-3 quality opponents in OOC with 7-9 cupcakes thrown in.
That's a really good point about scheduling from the perspective of an average/below average power five school.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018...a-state-loyola

another mid major top 25

7. Davidson
18. Saint Louis
24. Rhode Island

Davidson getting a lot of love right now. Great backcourt but I think there's some major question marks in their front court
Davidson may be getting a lot of love right now and their backcourt of Kellan Grady and Jon Axel Gudmundsson is a great one but ours isn't too shabby either! We defeated them 65-64 back in January. Granted it was at home but Jalen Crutcher hit a crucial 3 pointer with 56 seconds remaining and Jordan Davis will only get better! Add Dwayne Cohill to the mix and AG maybe getting agood PG Grad transfer and we are in business!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 AM
General

Now that Aldridge and McGarrity are gone, I think their front court will be pretty green. They seem to always be a good offensive team so I'm sure they'll find away to replace Aldridge's scoring but the two guys it looks like they're counting on in the front court, Ekwu and Kovacevic are really injury prone. In Kovacevic's case he's played less than 250 minutes over the first two years of his career
Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 AM
General

North Carolina went 11-7 in ACC play this year and got a 2 seed.
BRob2Perryman3 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
North Carolina went 11-7 in ACC play this year and got a 2 seed.
Some of that is brand name......but an excellent point all the same. Does Wake Forest get a #2 with the exact resume, exact wins, exact computer #'s, and exact margins of victory?
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM
General

Some of that is brand name......but an excellent point all the same. Does Wake Forest get a #2 with the exact resume, exact wins, exact computer #'s, and exact margins of victory?
I'm not sure but I feel like they got a pretty generous seed.

I think the issue for Dayton going forward with this is going to be exempt tourneys. North Carolina with some good wins in conference and a pedestrian ACC record got a 2 seed. Syracuse's best OOC win was Buffalo and they finished 2 games under .500 in ACC play and made it in the tourney.

They go to 20 games the season after next, what incentive is there for an ACC to team to do anything but play it safe with the Big 10/ACC challenge & maybe 1-2 more tough OOC games.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we're gonna see more Big 10/ACC schools do what Indiana did this year and play an exempt tourney at home against cupcakes. Starting to see this now with teams moving to this tourney's like preseason NIT where it's 4 good teams and each team gets two buy games before playing 2 games against the good teams in the field.

3-4 years down the line I could see the tourney's Dayton is playing in having fields more like the Charleston Classic this year
Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Lieutenant General

If I'm an Iowa, Clemson, Nebraska type mid level program in those leagues I'm playing a soft OOC and taking my chances getting victories in conference. .500 (10-10) in league play is going to be even more viable for an at large bid than 9-9. 2-3 quality opponents in OOC with 7-9 cupcakes thrown in.
Ask Nebraska how a soft OOC worked out for them this year, 13-5 in conference and NIT bound!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Brigadier General

The NCAA as a whole is probably undergoing massive changes in the next 5 years. Paying players/P5 breaking away/one and done etc.. The gap between the P5/be/everyone else is growing not shrinking. I just hope the game and team we all love is still playing in the same realm as the blue-bloods, and we aren't dropped in to some second rate division altogether. P5 have to be tiring of the NCAA.

Somebody thought unveiling the field alphabetically on TBS was a good idea. So there is the presence of complete imbeciles in power.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Back to hoops playing, shouldn't we have some real info/signings coming down here soon? Im not up on the periods, but didn't a big recruiting and signing period just open?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM
General

Ask Nebraska how a soft OOC worked out for them this year, 13-5 in conference and NIT bound!
I fear that we'll look back on this anomaly 5 years down the road
Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 AM
General

Back to hoops playing, shouldn't we have some real info/signings coming down here soon? Im not up on the periods, but didn't a big recruiting and signing period just open?
Should start hearing about visits for transfers, jucos and high schoolers any day now I'd guess
Old 04-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Recruiting is now open. Signing period will not be for a few more days, April 11.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Visits yes. Signings won't start until the 11th and continue on for quite some time and then transfers can come in whenever. I'd suspect though, that whoever will be on the team will be enrolled in 2nd summer session, which starts June 22nd.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:28 AM
General

Cooke and Cunningham didn't commit till to June. I'd suspect any JUCOs or high schoolers would be sooner
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Brigadier General

All eyes have to be on this Tre Mann kid, 4 star guard out of Florida(I believe) Most services agree Dayton is in his top three but looking at Twitter we are in his top 2. This cat is priority number one for me, Wendell Mitchell would be number two, then i put the staff in a room and give them each a phone and tell them not to come out until they have an immediately eligible 6'10"/250lb. freshman, transfer or otherwise in the fold. Then, a 6'10"/250lb. sit one play one(or two). Then they can get all the 6'3" 185lb. guys that would be a "good get" they want.

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 04-07-2018 at 11:33 AM..
jack72 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 AM
General

Mann is 2019, would be a senior in HS next year
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Brigadier General

Mann is 2019, would be a senior in HS next year
I am continuously confused by classes/reclassifying etc...it all runs together. I just want us to get all the best players all the time.
OSU Flyer (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
It wasn't a banner year for the BIG. A few really good teams at the top but was not as deep.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 PM
General

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...LTyEh5UBwe89K/

Early A10 preview from Jablo and the Dayton Daily

St. Louis is 1st. I can buy them being favorite but they have no shooting on that team. Big front court and I'm sure they'll crush people on the glass. Neither Bess or Goodwin seemed liked effective shooters. Seems like teams that could make it a half court game and effectively zone them could give them trouble.

I think the league will be better top to bottom but I don't see a dominate team. I could buy any one of George Mason, Davidson, Richmond, St. Joe's, URI, STL, VCU or Dayton being contenders
Old 04-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Brigadier General

We have 5 schollies to fill, i dont think we can be slotted anywhere until we know what is happening with them. We could be anywhere between runaway heavy favorite to as low as 7 or so. Funny on Twitter, Jablo has sent VCU fans into a tizzy
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bryan (04-07-2018), frisco flyer (04-07-2018), OSU Flyer (04-07-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:33 PM
General

VCU has a big whole at point guard and I think an upcoming freshman is the only true PG on the team. Mobley I thought looked promising but Tillman is a big hole up front
Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Mr. Jablonski I Beg to Differ

2019 Atlantic 10 Dayton Men's Basketball Final Standings
1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

The reality for UD is that they have a way to go to become competitive in the conference
and their roster is in complete disrepair. Patience will be necessary while Anthony Grant and staff correct the problem. His performance can be judged after 3 years on the job. Fasten your seat belts Flyer fans as you prepare for next year. A quick turn around does not appear to be forthcoming. God bless David Jablonski for his view of the Flyers through his Red and Blue glasses.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

The reality for UD is that they have a way to go to become competitive in the conference
and their roster is in complete disrepair. Patience will be necessary while Anthony Grant and staff correct the problem. His performance can be judged after 3 years on the job. Fasten your seat belts Flyer fans as you prepare for next year. A quick turn around does not appear to be forthcoming. God bless David Jablonski for his view of the Flyers through his Red and Blue glasses.

I believe this is what the kids refer to as "woke" or "hot take". The teams ahead of us were crushed by departures/graduations. We lost one meaningful guy and he was our 4th best player at best behind Crutch,Josh and Trey

I will accept any wager you want that the Flyers will not finish 11th or worse. jeff Ruby's,Car keys, paycheck........you name the stakes.

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 04-08-2018 at 09:56 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-08-2018), Gazoo (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-08-2018), SLUFLYER (04-10-2018), Southwest (04-09-2018), UDGutter2 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Brigadier General

1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

That is an extremely pessimistic viewpoint. If UD places this low in conference next season I'd join the chorus asking to put AG on the hot seat. I think the team is already better than last year's team with some meaningful pieces still to be gathered over the next six weeks.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-08-2018), Flyer 86 (04-09-2018), Gazoo (04-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (04-08-2018), Southwest (04-09-2018), UDGutter2 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

The reality for UD is that they have a way to go to become competitive in the conference and their roster is in complete disrepair. Patience will be necessary while Anthony Grant and staff correct the problem. His performance can be judged after 3 years on the job. Fasten your seat belts Flyer fans as you prepare for next year. A quick turn around does not appear to be forthcoming. God bless David Jablonski for his view of the Flyers through his Red and Blue glasses.
Couldn't disagree more. The roster is in complete disrepair? It's already better than it was last year, and we still have five scholarships available.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-08-2018), SLUFLYER (04-10-2018), Southwest (04-09-2018), UDGutter2 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
So is Jablo parroting what has been said to him by coaches or others close to the team or is this his own observation? Did the coaches tell him this so they can lower expectations only to exceed them?

I think next year, the level of play in the A10 (including the Flyers) is going to be better than this past season but without any dominant team. Next season may be very competitive but we will be eating our own and may be more likely a one bid year than in the past.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The roster is in complete disrepair? It's already better than it was last year, and we still have five scholarships available.
+1

Alberto had his timing wrong. The roster *was* in complete disrepair and it *is* no longer in complete disrepair.

We had at least a couple guys who didn’t want to be here (I’d argue three, the three tallest departures, maybe 4). We had another tall guy that didn’t play this season, but probably wasn’t going to really develop into a top-level A10 player. He did AG a favor in the previous offseason. We had a European player who came over to see if he could compete at this level (spoiler alert: he couldn’t) and is heading back. We had a guard who seemed like a great guy, but just was too unreliable to play meaningful minutes. Then we graduated one guy who led the team in turnovers. Baby D was asked to do too much this year, he tried his best, and as (pretty much) stated above, he was suited to be a 3rd or 4th option, not a #1 option.

We replace those guys with a top-100ish freshman combo guard, a 6’6” physically mature junior college wing, a 6’7” redshirt junior with a solid all-around game, and a 6’9” athletic redshirt freshman who reportedly has good upside. Plus, our returning guys have a whole offseason to improve, and they were good last year!

PLUS, we have five open spots. If you want to say that puts the roster in “disrepair” well, okay, I guess. But you then have to acknowledge that we are going to fill at least some of those spots with guys who will at least be able to contribute more than Jordan Pierce did last year. What if we get another junior college guy, a grad transfer, and a good freshman, then a sit-out transfer and maybe leave one slot open? Disrepair? Please.

Do I think we win the A10 next year? Probably not, but 11th is laughably pessimistic.
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-08-2018), Gazoo (04-09-2018), jumpin' joe (04-09-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), shocka43 (04-09-2018), SLUFLYER (04-10-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So is Jablo parroting what has been said to him by coaches or others close to the team or is this his own observation? Did the coaches tell him this so they can lower expectations only to exceed them?

I think next year, the level of play in the A10 (including the Flyers) is going to be better than this past season but without any dominant team. Next season may be very competitive but we will be eating our own and may be more likely a one bid year than in the past.
Oddly enough we said that alot last year, Juan Bidd was a hot topic of conversation. And per usual we managed to get not TWO but THREE teams in! in today's environment, 3 should be the goal
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-09-2018), jack72 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:48 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos. I say, we will be better than last year by several wins, and could get third place. Four of the five guys who played the most, and mattered, will be back. The four new guys will be better than the five we lost.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-08-2018), CvilleFlyer (04-08-2018), PalmBeachFlyer (04-08-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-08-2018), Southwest (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Jablonski had us 4th. That would not be lowering expectations. Alberto Strasse put us 11th.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos.
Links?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Jablonski had us 4th. That would not be lowering expectations. Alberto Strasse put us 11th.
Oops. My bad. I agree on 4th not on 11th.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Brigadier General

The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos. I say, we will be better than last year by several wins, and could get third place. Four of the five guys who played the most, and mattered, will be back. The four new guys will be better than the five we lost.
Technically 8 guys could be seeing the court for the first time in a Flyer uniform next season. Doubtful but the possibility exists.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
We keep drinking to kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year we had a great Chec shooter coming, older and mature ready to make it happen. And the GF 2.0, likely a double double machine. A 7' beast from NJ, plus the top kid in South Carolina and we were awful. Seems like we are singing the same song now. This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan, " wait til next year, everyone will be way better".

We lost our second leading scorer, third best rebounder and a good defender in DD. Unless we find some kids to play defense, particularly at guard, someone who can penetrate and some rebounders we will stay in the bottom half of the conference. We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little. We bring back four of our five starters and they flat out did not get it done. Hoping AG can bring in proven talent fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:48 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
+1

PLUS, we have five open spots. If you want to say that puts the roster in “disrepair” well, okay, I guess. But you then have to acknowledge that we are going to fill at least some of those spots with guys who will at least be able to contribute more than Jordan Pierce did last year. What if we get another junior college guy, a grad transfer, and a good freshman, then a sit-out transfer and maybe leave one slot open? Disrepair? Please.
This is were the money is next season. Do it right and we are top 4. Do it wrong and we are simply better than last season.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
We keep drinking to kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year we had a great Chec shooter coming, older and mature ready to make it happen. And the GF 2.0, likely a double double machine. A 7' beast from NJ, plus the top kid in South Carolina and we were awful. Seems like we are singing the same song now. This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan, " wait til next year, everyone will be way better".

We lost our second leading scorer, third best rebounder and a good defender in DD. Unless we find some kids to play defense, particularly at guard, someone who can penetrate and some rebounders we will stay in the bottom half of the conference. We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little. We bring back four of our five starters and they flat out did not get it done. Hoping AG can bring in proven talent fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some of it I think depends on whether you prefer to be happy or miserable. I think it’s obvious which camp this poster is in.

This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan? LOLOLOL. Come on, dude. We made the NCAA tournament 4 years in a row prior to last season. FOH with comparing us to Fordham. We had a laundry list of things go wrong and we finished 9th in the A10. We had a bad season; nobody is going to dispute that.

Do you think Jalen Crutcher will be any better than he was last year? Do you think Jordan Davis will be any better? Let’s assume Josh is as good, and Trey is as good (though I think we can count on him to improve). Sure, we lose a solid senior, but I think his production is very replaceable. We know who four of the newcomers are. Yes, only one of them is any kind of a known commodity and he’s coming off two major surgeries. But we lose one senior and a bunch of guys who were unproductive and/or unplayable or didn't want to be here and we replace them with one redshirt junior, one redshirt freshman, one junior college transfer and one true freshman who could have gone to Texas or West Virginia or Ohio State. Plus we have 5 slots tbd.

Would you trade Baby D, a disinterested Kostas, a disgruntled Xeyrius, a disinterested and disgruntled Pierce, and Crosby for Cohill, Mikesell, Toppin, and Matos? I’d do that trade straight up, and then you throw in five players to be named later? Um, yes please?

Fordham? Hahahahahahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by THirt; 04-08-2018 at 01:03 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-09-2018), longtimefan (04-08-2018), Monster Man (04-08-2018), Sarge (04-08-2018), sheg (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Brigadier General

Posted via Mobile Device

You maybe, MAYBE had a leg to stand on. Then you made the Fordham crack.

And of course,

San Diego Flyer (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Brigadier General

Am i the only one who spends way too much of his/her time anxiously awaiting a thread from Ihsgolf titled..

"Welcome to the family........"?
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-08-2018), FlyingArrow (04-10-2018), frisco flyer (04-08-2018), Graphicsguy (04-09-2018), John C. (04-08-2018), OSU Flyer (04-08-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (04-08-2018), superfan99 (04-09-2018), THirt (04-08-2018), UDGutter2 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
We will be better next year even if we have two misses in filling five scholarships. We will have a coaching staff that has worked together for a year. We will have six scholarship players that have spent a year working in AG’s program and system. We will have up to 8 new players who are AG recruits. There won’t be players on next year’s team that don’t want to be at UD for one reason or another - even if it’s just they don’t like going to class. A lot has been voiced on problems this last year, but I saw a lot of players get better playing for AG. Offensively, defensively and maturity-wise. I expect more of all of that next year. If the coaching staff can develop players in an environment with 3-4 bad apples in the mix, I believe they can accomplish way more with a locker room full of players who can’t wait to put in the hard work so when they put on the Dayton uniform the entire team is ready to compete.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-08-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-08-2018), springborofan (04-08-2018), THirt (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM
General

I think it's significant that none of the newcomers coming in next year or the guy we get back, Mikesell, are gonna be asked to be the savior of the program.

We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start. If Cohill earns a starting spot great but he doesn't have to be a 30 minute a night guy and a 15ppg scorer off of the bat for this team to be successful. Same goes for Matos, Obi, Mikesell and whoever else gets added.

Last year a lot of freshman and guys without experience had to get integrated very quickly into the starting lineup and get major minutes off of the bat. This year hopefully there's the luxury of letting some of the new guys ease into their roles

To build off BeckysTXA points we've got guy who know the system and what the expectations are from Coach Grant. It's gonna be lot easier integrating a bunch of new guys coming in this summer versus everyone figuring it out at the same time.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-08-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-08-2018), THirt (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Brigadier General

Miserabledog07 would rather wallow in his own misery and he'll gladly take anyone else along for the ride if they are willing. Just take off your "red and blue glasses" and enjoy the journey to miserable land...oh wait, "reality" is what he calls it.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (04-08-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
I was willing to believe we would meet the prognosticators' expectations of bubble-to-NIT territory last year, then I watched the Hofstra game.

Not willing to believe any predictions until we see the product on the court next season.
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Who knows what will happen, but this team should be better next season.

THirt's view isn't Red and Blue glasses but offers up a pretty realistic assessment of player to player comparison going into next year. Other than Kostas' upside, all of the other players weren't giving this team or program anything that isn't replaceable by an incoming freshman. Pierce and X...what did they do that can't be replaced? What was Crosby going to give you next season when he is bumped to the end of the bench even further due to current Sophomores? While MS was giving the effort, are his numbers not replaceable by an incoming first year?

The biggest takeaway is the fact that another year of offseason development may have contributed to a little improvement, but the ceiling was pretty obvious with every player that left sans Kostas.

It is apparent that CAG wants to run his program a certain way. That way benefited players like Cunningham, Trey, and Crutcher. Would you rather have 3 or 4 Crutcher like players roll in with a pretty hefty upside, or dance around guys that in year one looked pretty limited?

This is a clean slate move. From a fans perspective, and with all of the criticism of CAG, this is what the critics should want. This is CAG's team now with his players here and his players coming in. The only holdovers are guys that are "pluses" in the "plus - minus" game of personnel.

There is no better way to evaluate CAG and the direction of the program than for him to get his guys in here and see where this goes. Having the dead weight still here only delays the ability to fairly evaluate where this ship is going.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (04-09-2018), frisco flyer (04-09-2018), Gazoo (04-09-2018), ruechalgrin (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-09-2018), steve (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little.
https://www.therichest.com/sports/to...ers-in-sports/

I think it's significant that none of the newcomers coming in next year or the guy we get back, Mikesell, are gonna be asked to be the savior of the program.

We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start.
I agree, there's no quantum leap this year. We don't have a quantum player coming, yet. If I were a transfer I would look at this team as a GREAT core of average-to-above-average role players that would have a fun season in the A10 if you added 1 special player. If we get 1 Jordan Siebert we go from 5th-ish (between 7th and 4th) to top 2, because all the other guys on this team are in a position where they will share the spotlight, play defense, rebound, etc. If we got 2 players like that we win the A10 and make a postseason run.

Otherwise, I think we're likely NIT bound (but want to see the R&B game before deciding, as always).
Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold

I consider bracketology predictions this time of year as accurate as predicting the weather for 2018 Christmas Eve.
Mad Props to Southwest For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:40 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
That mainstream thing.... Fake News! LOL
Old 04-09-2018, 12:43 PM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I think (picking now) 4th to 7th is a pretty realistic view of where we could be today, from today's vantage point.

3rd with a High Quality transfer pickup or 2. 6th to 8th with no key additions.

I'll predict 4th or 5th, picking on April 9th . I reserve the right to change that come Oct 15th
Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
"We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start."

Maddog has a point. The promising core of 4 guys coming back were not playing much better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning of the year. They would win one then lose one.

I happen to like Kool Aid so I am willing to drink it but if past performance is any indication of future results and there is no significant change in the starting lineup then I am going to need a lot of kool aid.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
76ers from '15-16 to '17-18 are a great example

Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
"We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start."

Maddog has a point. The promising core of 4 guys coming back were not playing much better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning of the year. They would win one then lose one.

I happen to like Kool Aid so I am willing to drink it but if past performance is any indication of future results and there is no significant change in the starting lineup then I am going to need a lot of kool aid.
3 of those 4 were Crutcher, Jordan and Landers...and all were playing infinitely better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. You're confusing W's with improvement. You can improve without winning*, especially when you're a freshman or with respect to Sir Trey Landers, hardly used as one.
BeckysTXA (04-09-2018), Bob G (04-09-2018), Bonziflyer (04-10-2018), CE80 (04-09-2018), CT Flyer (04-09-2018), Flyer 86 (04-10-2018), John C. (04-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-09-2018), SLUFLYER (04-10-2018), springborofan (04-09-2018), The Fly (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...LTyEh5UBwe89K/

Early A10 preview from Jablo and the Dayton Daily

St. Louis is 1st. I can buy them being favorite but they have no shooting on that team. Big front court and I'm sure they'll crush people on the glass. Neither Bess or Goodwin seemed liked effective shooters. Seems like teams that could make it a half court game and effectively zone them could give them trouble.

I think the league will be better top to bottom but I don't see a dominate team. I could buy any one of George Mason, Davidson, Richmond, St. Joe's, URI, STL, VCU or Dayton being contenders
George Mason might start pulling their weight. It is well past time for Richmond to move on from Mooney.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Really? Landers didn't get any better as the season progressed? Crutcher didn't get any better (I agree he was probably best about mid to 2/3 of the season in but still better at end than beginning)? Freshmen don't get better in the off season?
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not a Kool-Aid drinker and I’m honestly not sure what caliber of team we’ll put on the floor next season, but I’m not sure how anyone can say Crutcher and Landers did not improve significantly over the course of the year.

Oops, Rollo and others beat me to it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-09-2018), CT Flyer (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
3 of those 4 were Crutcher, Jordan and Landers...and all were playing infinitely better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. You're confusing W's with improvement. You can improve without winning*, especially when you're a freshman or with respect to Sir Trey Landers, hardly used as one.
Agree. Actually, aside from DD who seemed to slide some at the end,others were playing better. We couldn’t even play man early in the year because we simply couldn’t play man defense. Early it was painful to watch our offense some nights. We weren’t even getting shots off because of turnovers or lack of execution. We got better. There were nights we didn’t shoot great or rebound great, but we were running an offense and we could go man 2 man, mixed with some zone. Players got better as did the team.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:43 PM

All four starters had improving seasons

Of the 4 starters, I'm not sure how we can leave out Josh. He came off a disastrous injury- plagued season as a Soph. Was among the top 2 point shooting percentages in the nation this year and much better than his Soph season. Carried us in rebounding while playing as an undersized center. Shouldered the job of being a captain of a score of newbies mixed with some dysfunctionals. Scored an average in points that was more than his Dayton and Bradley years added together.

I'll give you this. He appeared to wear down as the season ended, but who wouldn't considering the slackers that he was covering for.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-09-2018), Flyer 86 (04-10-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-10-2018), OSU Flyer (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM
General

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...d-duke-at-top/

early top 25 with NBA declarations thus far

Auburn 9
Mississippi St 15
Runnin' Rebel (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 AM
General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Of the 4 starters, I'm not sure how we can leave out Josh. He came off a disastrous injury- plagued season as a Soph. Was among the top 2 point shooting percentages in the nation this year and much better than his Soph season. Carried us in rebounding while playing as an undersized center. Shouldered the job of being a captain of a score of newbies mixed with some dysfunctionals. Scored an average in points that was more than his Dayton and Bradley years added together.

I'll give you this. He appeared to wear down as the season ended, but who wouldn't considering the slackers that he was covering for.
I know people mention on here how someone played virtually every available for a team or in the Cheney days at Temple they played 6 guys all the time. Those people are the exception not the rule in terms of basketball. Because one guy can do it, doesn't mean everyone can. These are kids not robots.

I absolutely believe logging all those minutes took their toll on Josh and especially the freshman. Having an actual bench this year is going to do wonders for this team in terms of giving the starters some rest and keeping them fresh for the season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post

...And all of that with also either being forgotten quite a bit by not receiving the ball more or with them just not able to get him the ball more. Tough to keep hustling down the court being a forgotten man.You have a guy shooting 65% on the year he simply has to get more than 9 + FGA per game of which I'd bet 1-2 of those were put back shots off offensive rebounds.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-10-2018), OSU Flyer (04-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM
General

Couple other thing to consider with the playing folks 38 minutes a game/Temple strategy. Guys get nagging injuries like Darrell Davis and his thumb this year and play through them all the time. If you're riding someone major minutes every night it makes harder to get over a nagging injury in your legs like an ankle.

If you get a starter seriously hurt because they're playing garbage time minutes in a blowout that's asinine.

In theory if this is a healthy program you're able to keep the freshman on bench on give them minutes off the bench to develop them instead having to throw people into the fire.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I hadn't seen this, heard this or read this anywhere, re: the mainstream media. Please share more details or references.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
And if you look at those Temple teams most of those guys were big guys with alot of body on them. Very few rail thin players. Alot easier to take the daily bumps, bruises, and hard knocks than your average player. They were a very very physical team that recruited to that strategy..
Old 04-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I hadn't seen this, heard this or read this anywhere, re: the mainstream media. Please share more details or references.
It was a euphemism for some people on this site, who think the sky has fallen.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Great post Rollo! And add Josh C to that and it's a solid nucleus. The major dangers are fatigue and not enough big men.

We really need 8 to 9 guys to legitimately go to and have ready on the bench.
We've gotten Matos and Obadiah will be there next year. How good will they be? Or is it possible they become Matej and DEsmond A. I don't think so, but we can't count on them. WE can only hope they are solid to good role players at this moment in time.

Meaning we need to pick up 2 to 3 more quality guys - with 1 or 2 being a big man! I'm hoping grad transfers that have credentials and numbers on their side, having played in a Top ten conference.

But I'd also take a Top Top guy from a minor conference - like Scott or someone who scores 20 or rebounds 10 a game. A Guy Can dream right?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
It was a euphemism for some people on this site, who think the sky has fallen.
Got it, euphemism is mainstream media = board naysayers. I wasn't connecting those two, thanks.