UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone that doesn't think next year will be an up and down adventure is kidding themselves. Archie will work his normal wonders but we will be relying way too much on freshmen. We know we will have two solid performers in Cunningham and Williams but anything after that will be a crap shoot. The junior class is not strong and Davis just hasn't shown the ability to be there every game. There may be some improvement over the next eight months but this team is going to make it on the contributions delivered by the freshmen. If you are a Duke, North Carolina or Kentucky you can get away with that. We do not have 3 or 4 four stars coming in. We have some talented players joining the team and they may catch lightening in a bottle at the end of the season and get us the the tourney but I see no shot at an at large bid. I am an eternal optimist with the Flyers but I also have to be a realist and next year will be, at best, a year of learning.
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
People I think are really discounting the ability of some of these guys to improve in the offseason. Look at how XWill improved from last year to this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-21-2017), Smitty10 (03-20-2017), ud2 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Defense is the key. If next year's team plays defense with the mentality of this year's team, we will be fine. I am sure Arch will have the offense humming by the time conference play begins. The key is not to be in a deep hole when that happens.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I get so sick of the false choice propagated by some on this board. Just because someone believes the team will be down some next year does not mean anyone is happy about it. So, stop being so **** lazy with your debating skills by trying to put words in someone's mouth.

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring? Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10). Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard? Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!

I'm waiting for your answers. In the interim, stop the BS. All your happy talk about how the program has "reached new heights" won't help the five on the floor when they are down four points with three minutes to go at a hostile environment in Philadelphia or Richmond.

I guarantee you that I'm as passionate about the flyers as anyone and, OF COURSE, I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 wins next year. But this isn't some **** safe zone where "nary is heard a discouraging word" so please STOP with the "go ahead and be satisfied with 18 wins" crap.
Amen brother. Just because you happen to believe we deserve to be a perennial tourney team doesn't mean we actually will be. There are a lot of uncomfortable facts that stand in the way of that expectation. It will be a gigantic accomplishment for archie to get next year's team to the tourney. Gigantic. And no one will be more happy than I will if he does. I'm just being realistic. He lost a lot of experience, defense, scoring punch, leadership and heart. We don't yet know how much of it can be replaced this quickly. Just because i'm being realistic doesn't mean I'm happy about it being a down year. I just have eyes. Any objective person could look at what we've lost and conclude we may not have enough experience and defense to make the tourney next year.

Last edited by Flyer'95; 03-21-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt anybody, including Archie (assuming he is still here), knows who will be starting next year. That being said, if there is anybody that has coached through adversity, it is Archie and staff. I try not to underestimate their abilities.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 AM

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
People I think are really discounting the ability of some of these guys to improve in the offseason. Look at how XWill improved from last year to this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is correct IMO.

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
It will be a gigantic accomplishment for archie to get next year's team to the tourney. Gigantic.
Much less than gigantic IMO.

Last edited by ud2; 03-21-2017 at 01:01 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
ESPN Insider Take on Dayton for 2017-2018.

"Trending: Level. With the losses of Smith, Cooke, Pollard and Davis, the first thought is to drop the Flyers a couple notches. But as long as Archie Miller is on the sideline, Dayton will be a threat in the A-10. The incoming freshmen should keep this team competitive in the league."

Very high on Matej Svoboda.

Supposedly behind paywall, but seems like can access without subscription.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiti.../post?id=16821
ESPN has the Flyers trending level. That is reasonable IMO.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
You really like to wear this costume of ignorance quite a bit, huh? Your lack of knowledge just slightly exceeds your curling up in the fetal position and wanting everyone to stroke your hair in your fear of UD not making the tourney.You're becoming quite laughable.
I'm not sure why expecting 20 wins is laughable??? VCU has nine straight seasons with 24 or more wins. Is it wrong to have those type of expectations. If we believe Archie has established our program a a contender then I think expecting 20 wins is not a stretch.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I'm not sure why expecting 20 wins is laughable??? VCU has nine straight seasons with 24 or more wins. Is it wrong to have those type of expectations. If we believe Archie has established our program a a contender then I think expecting 20 wins is not a stretch.

It's kind of unreasonable unless we believe the freshman can come in and contribute right away. The current class going into their Jr year everyone was excited about the progression they saw from the entire class. This year other than X not as much.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
My post is more in response to the poster that likes to pat himself on the back with each and every post, simply hates to have someone rebuttal or disagree with him and just called another poster an idiot. But getting back on subject, far more than the 20 wins, it's the "shot at the NCAA" statement that I disagree with because 20 wins gets a team like UD no where near the NCAA tourney.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-21-2017), jack72 (03-21-2017), Larymike (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I get so sick of the false choice propagated by some on this board. Just because someone believes the team will be down some next year does not mean anyone is happy about it. So, stop being so **** lazy with your debating skills by trying to put words in someone's mouth.
This is not a false choice. Would you be satisfied with a trip to the NIT next year? Some would, some wouldn't.

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring? Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10). Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard? Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!

I'm waiting for your answers. In the interim, stop the BS. All your happy talk about how the program has "reached new heights" won't help the five on the floor when they are down four points with three minutes to go at a hostile environment in Philadelphia or Richmond.
Have to agree with my man RW here when he says "no thanks". This is like trying to prove there is a God. Unless anyone has a time machine handy, I don't think anyone can really say what will happen next year until it happens.

I guarantee you that I'm as passionate about the flyers as anyone and, OF COURSE, I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 wins next year. But this isn't some **** safe zone where "nary is heard a discouraging word" so please STOP with the "go ahead and be satisfied with 18 wins" crap.
You think it's ridiculous to expect the best? It seems ridiculous to me to come into next season and expect mediocrity. I doubt Archie is coming into next season and going "man, 17-14 would be a really good season with this bunch." If he did, I bet he is going back to the drawing board on recruiting or coaching or something. Because I doubt he would be happy with it.

I think it's far from ridiculous to point out that I would imagine the head coach is expecting the same thing that many of us optimists (or those with our "head in the clouds" if you prefer). If he comes out preseason and says our goal is an NIT berth, I think most on here would be pretty surprised.

Why not let the team try to live up to those high expectations? If you don't have those same expectations, you're not a bad fan, but you are a pessimist. Or maybe you prefer to be called a "realist" *snicker*.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
It's kind of unreasonable unless we believe the freshman can come in and contribute right away. The current class going into their Jr year everyone was excited about the progression they saw from the entire class. This year other than X not as much.
I believe they can. I think at least a couple of them are going to be playing some pretty heavy minutes by the time we get to league play. I also believe we're going to have 2 guys that aren't really freshmen... Kostas and Svoboda. One will have been in the system for a year already and the other has played at the international level for a couple of years.

I would imagine that's a big reason that Archie recruited Svoboda specifically, so he could get a new guy that wouldn't necessarily play like a new guy.

I also think that our perimeter defense may get a bit worse, but our rebounding will most likely improve with a healthy Cunningham, and two guys over 6'10". Darrell Davis is close to a lockdown defender now.

It's going to be a really interesting season, I know that, since we've all gotten so used to Scoochie, Kyle, and KP over the past 3 years especially. Someone else pointed out that this may be a big chance for Archie to re-establish his offensive template that may have been put aside a bit to work towards the strengths of the guys he did have like Cooke and Scoochie.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM

...20 wins gets a team like UD no where near the NCAA tourney.
This year, 20 wins would gave gotten us close, but just a little short.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring?
-Devin Oliver, Kyle Davis significantly improved 3 point shooting.
-6 scholarship players. Six.

Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10).
Archie has been Dayton's coach for 6 years, and IIRC our defense has improved every year for those 6 years. That includes years where we had freshman and seniors playing major minutes.

Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard?
By becoming more confident. Like LW after his first 2 out of control years. JC's issues aren't physical--we're not asking him to play center. He has every physical tool he needs. We have a coach that was a former PG who could help him develop in the offseason.

Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!
Likely it will be one of the many young men Archie has carefully recruited to be a part of his system. It's possible we'll not have a single leader, or worse yet Miller will have to kick a couple people off the team who are leading people the wrong way (Dumb & Dumber). It's also incredibly unlikely. So I would pick DD and XW, both of which blossomed this year.

Your questions give away your thought processes. Woe is me, we'll have no leaders, no one will be able to step up and replace the defense, tell me how anyone will step in for a 3 year starting PG. You mask your questions as being "reasonable" but what you're really doing is displaying a victim mentality. Start finding reasons to win not excuses for losing.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
It is amazing to me that it seems amazing to some of you that others have a differing opinion on next year.

In what may be a message board historic first, let me proclaim that I have no definitive opinion as to what will happen next year. I do not know if MW will be able to start as a freshman. Nor do I know if any of them will be able to be productive contributors.

I do not know if anyone of the rising Juniors will progress beyond being the 3rd or 4th option on a tournament level team. I don't know if DD can continue his improvement on defense and regain the confidence in his shot to be the assassin we need on offense. I don't if Kostas is the next Paxson or the next Iguodala. I don't know where Czech is on the map... although i think i would guess correctly.

I don't know if we will struggle to reach .500 or struggle for 1st in the A10. I am hopeful because I choose to be. But expectations? There's just way too much I don't know.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-21-2017), jack72 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Absolutely. We should all feel this way. It can happen.

Gold star here.
20 wins in a mid major conf. will only get you thinking about next year.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
But expectations? There's just way too much I don't know.
It's ridiculous to have expectations now?

OK.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't have differing levels of expectations.

What I take issue with is someone saying that we should be happy with the NIT. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
If we make the NIT next year, I'll still be happy. There, I said it. I'm not changing my expectations. I've always expected that we should make the dance 3 years out of 4 and make a Sweet 16 one out of 4 years. After years of disappointment I'm not going to change my expectations just so I can stay disappointed. We've arrived. I'm going to enjoy it. If we get more than that, that's gravy. I'd be excited to see more, but I'm not going to be upset if we merely meet that expectation.

On paper, next year will be the most "down" year. Only 1 senior and 6 freshmen. I hope we make the dance next year, and I expect to make the dance the following 3 years (with at least 1 Sweet 16 in there). But if any year is going to be a rough one, it looks like it will be next year.

For individual players, I have pretty high expectations for X, Cunningham, and Kostas. We need another two to be solid contributors, plus another 3 or 4 decent role players. Unfortunately, the other veterans are only in the "decent role players" category: RM, Crosby, Miller, DDavis. Trey Landers didn't even reach that category this year. We don't usually expect much from freshmen, but somebody has to step up. We need at least a couple good role players out of the freshman class, and from either the freshmen or the veterans a couple of them need to step up their game to fill the shoes of the graduating seniors.

If I had to guess, I'll go with starting lineup: Crosby, DDavis, Kostas, Williams, Cunningham. And first four off the bench: Miller, RM, Wright (need another PG), Pierce (need size for defense)

But, really, the minutes are all wide open. Absolutely every player on the roster has a chance to earn 25 minutes a night. (Except possibly Trey Landers... have to think he'd have been getting at least 5-10 mpg if he were in line for possible starter minutes as a sophomore.)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
If I had to guess, I'll go with starting lineup: Crosby, DDavis, Kostas, Williams, Cunningham. And first four off the bench: Miller, RM, Wright (need another PG), Pierce (need size for defense)
My predictions:

Best lineup: McKinley Wright, Darrell Davis, Ryan Mikesell, Xeyrius Williams, Josh Cunningham.

Crosby may retain starting duties to open the year, but will quickly be supplanted by Wright.

Cunningham regains form and averages a double, double.

Dayton's leading scorer off the bench will be Jordan Davis, who is going to have a couple 20+ point games.

Kostas Antetokuompo will be a defensive stopper, logging good minutes. He'll play everywhere. But he won't consistently shine offensively until his soph year (like Xeyrious this past year).

Most improved: Trey Landers. I think he gets a lot of minutes off the bench and plays very well.

Role Players: Miller and Pierce. We'll need the size or Miller and Pierce obviously. They'll be important rotation players who will have to give big minutes.

Mop Up Duty: Svoboda and Carter will have the most difficulty earning their way on to the floor as freshman. Carter will show some flashes. Svoboda could earn a few minutes to stretch defenses, although Dayton will have no shortage of good shooters so may be difficult for him.

Biggest Worry: That Dayton becomes overly reliant on perimeter shooting. We will have a lot of good shooters and many with the size to shoot over guys, but that's not a recipe for winning games. Without Scoochie running the show, offense may be a little stagnant, resulting in a ton of threes hoisted.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Starters in the non conference: Crosby, D. Davis, X, Kostas, Cunningham.

Starters by the start of A-10 play: McKinley, Davis x 2 (Darrell and Jordan splitting minutes), X, Kostas, Cunningham. The Czech and one of the Davises first off the bench. Three freshmen with major roles. Miller over Pierce as Cunningham's primary backup.

The youth movement gets us a top three A-10 finish and a viable bubble spot.

I am, of course, occasionally delusional.

Last edited by The Fly; 03-21-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
My predictions:

Best lineup: McKinley Wright, Darrell Davis, Ryan Mikesell, Xeyrius Williams, Josh Cunningham.
Mikesell at the 3? He couldn't even guard the stretch 4's we faced this year. True wing players will be able to run right by him.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Mikesell at the 3? He couldn't even guard the stretch 4's we faced this year. True wing players will be able to run right by him.
I think he'll come back stronger and having worked hard on lateral quickness. He's not going to be KD on defense but he can improve enough to play some time at the 3.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think he'll come back stronger and having worked hard on lateral quickness. He's not going to be KD on defense but he can improve enough to play some time at the 3.
Did he not work on lateral quickness last offseason? At some point people are just going to have to accept that he is not athletic enough to guard 3s and stretch 4s. And please don't tell me that his high basketball IQ will make up for his lack of athleticism.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The bigger problem is he's not athletic enough to guard 3, struggles athletically with stretch 4s, and can't keep either off the glass.

He needs a rim protector and a Perryman type to board. In other words, Cunningham and Steve (RIP). Then you might be able to get by with it. If Jordan can provide the rim protection and board, and Cunningham fully recovers, it might work.

It wasn't going to work when your rim protection and rebounding was Williams, Pollard and Miller.

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-21-2017 at 06:01 PM..
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Whacker (03-23-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
The bigger problem is he's not athletic enough to guard 3, struggles athletically with stretch 4s, and can't keep either off the glass.

He needs a rim protector and a Perryman type to board. In other words, Cunningham and Steve (RIP). Then you might be able to get buy with it. If Jordan can provide the rim protection and board, and Cunningham fully recovers, it might work.

It wasn't going to work when your rim protection and rebounding was Williams, Pollard and Miller.
Yep. Archie was hoping, at least in order to log big mpg, that Mikesell could develop into that 2 or 3..There's not a position on the floor he doesn't get beat at defensively and it's not like he is instant offense to offset that. He simply has to be in that perfect position to defend his man or grab rebounds against bigger players.

I think RM is even too unselfish offensively and needs to be more assertive. Not saying he can't improve but, again, it's part of this 4 man junior class where there's not been much improvement physically by anyone not named Williams....
Old 03-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
You are the biggest idiot on this board. You contribute next to nothing and your knowledge of the game is atrocious. Archie has and never will never play more than 10 guys, especially if all of them have experience. I cant wait to watch Trey develop into a bigger beast than he already is so I can watch you eat your words for the next 3 years.

You said the same stuff about X and other players in the past. Pollard, KD the list goes on and on when these guys were younger. Quit drinking all of that hater-ade
Thanks, I love you despite your garbage mouth. BTW your second paragraph about X, Pollard, KD, and others is just flat out made up by you. Be a name caller and express your opinion, just do not make stuff up.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 PM
General

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Did he not work on lateral quickness last offseason?
Yes, which is why he went from 8 minutes per game to almost 20 minutes per game (which would have been lower had Steve been around).

You didn't expect him to be greatest player he's ever going to be as a sophomore, did you?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, which is why he went from 8 minutes per game to almost 20 minutes per game (which would have been lower had Steve been around).

You didn't expect him to be greatest player he's ever going to be as a sophomore, did you?
He played 20minutes a game because of missing Steve, Cunningham, and Pollard for parts of the year. His playing time went down once Cunningham came back. I do not expect him to be his best as a So., but I do not think he will ever improve his quickness to be the player you obviously think he can be. With Oliver, and other guys that people have given up on, it wasn't for lack of talent or ability. We all said Oliver's shot looked good even as a Fr. and So. when he really struggled and missed a lot of shots. Bucky would talk about how he never missed in practice. Most have said Crosby has the talent, but he plays too fast or too out of control. Those are things you can improve upon. Magically getting a lot fast as a Jr. is not.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute

No but I also know there is only a certain amount an individual can improve their athleticism no matter how hard they work. My opinion is that he will never be able to guard 3s and stretch 4s due to his lack of athleticism. If he improves and is able to I will be more than happy about it though.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM
General

I do not think he will ever improve his quickness to be the player you obviously think he can be.
See:

Yes, I "obviously" think he can improve enough to play some time at the 3. What a wildly over-the-top prediction that is. That's a hot take right there.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
He has to guard someone. But the positions don't matter all that much. You can switch Xeyrius and Mikesell around to either forward you want offensively or defensively. Xeyrius should probably guard the guy you want to actually to stop though.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Exactly.

Did he not work on lateral quickness last offseason? At some point people are just going to have to accept that he is not athletic enough to guard 3s and stretch 4s. And please don't tell me that his high basketball IQ will make up for his lack of athleticism.
DD was a terrible defender as a sophomore don't you think he worked on it in the off-season before that year? Some take longer than normal. DD improved going into his junior year, no reason why Chips can't
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-22-2017), jack72 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
DD was a terrible defender as a sophomore don't you think he worked on it in the off-season before that year? Some take longer than normal. DD improved going into his junior year, no reason why Chips can't
Darrell was a terrible defender due to lack of effort and intensity. He had the athleticism to guard people but he just chose not to do it.

Mikesell on the other hand has no problem playing with effort and intensity. He has an athleticism problem.

Effort and Intensity can be changed greatly as we have seen from Darrell's large improvement as a defender. A lack of athleticism is much harder to make up for.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-21-2017), m21eagle45 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Major General

See:

Yes, I "obviously" think he can improve enough to play some time at the 3. What a wildly over-the-top prediction that is. That's a hot take right there.
No reason to overreact. You pointed out your observation, I pointed out mine. There are quite a few things you can improve, such as effort, mechanics, and fundamentals. Things like speed, quickness, and athleticism typically aren't something a person can really improve that much. That's all me and some others were saying.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-21-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I appreciate those who took the time to answer legitimate questions about next year's team. I've said in earlier posts that next year will be very exciting to watch the growth of this team.

I'm also very intrigued by AM's plans to transition from a guard focused offense to a forward/center focused offense. It's been three years since the elite 8 run which was pretty balanced. I'm excited to see new offensive sets that maximize the potential of next year's team. Yes we are losing some good on ball defenders but it will interesting to see how a taller team defends and rebounds.

There is a lot to look forward to but you don't lose four seniors without having some growing pains.

Since I'm not a part of the program it really doesn't matter if my expectations are lower but I surely expect AM's expectations to not be lower. My guess is that AM will measure success early in the season next year by the growth of his team more than W/L.

That might be something to remember before the usual cast of characters race onto UD Pride after a close loss next season to badmouth a young team.

Last edited by springborofan; 03-21-2017 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
TMPH66 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Thanks, I love you despite your garbage mouth. BTW your second paragraph about X, Pollard, KD, and others is just flat out made up by you. Be a name caller and express your opinion, just do not make stuff up.
I know it, you know it, every body knows it. (Duck lips).
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Defense will determine playing time for the incoming freshmen. I hope the incoming guys come in early and get acclimated.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM
Major General

He has to guard someone. But the positions don't matter all that much. You can switch Xeyrius and Mikesell around to either forward you want offensively or defensively. Xeyrius should probably guard the guy you want to actually to stop though.
And his mpg moving forward will probably be dictated by his ability to guard unless all of a sudden he brings Luke Kennard type offense to the team or UD faces future injuries..Mikesell improved a decent amount both physically and in his overall game going into year 2.He needs to at least make that same leap (put on more lbs. and improved footwork) into year 3. He's a smart kid, knows how to move, and certainly knows the game. I believe having a couple rim protectors next year will improve his defense a bit more.....
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute

Kostas Antetokuompo will be a defensive stopper, logging good minutes. He'll play everywhere. But he won't consistently shine offensively until his soph year (like Xeyrious this past year).

Mop Up Duty: Svoboda and Carter will have the most difficulty earning their way on to the floor as freshman. Carter will show some flashes. Svoboda could earn a few minutes to stretch defenses, although Dayton will have no shortage of good shooters so may be difficult for him.
I expect Kostas, due to already being on campus this season, and Svoboda, due to international experience, to be able and ready to be significant contributors by January
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-22-2017), Flyer 86 (03-22-2017), Glen Clark (03-24-2017), Whacker (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
General

Darrell was a terrible defender due to lack of effort and intensity. He had the athleticism to guard people but he just chose not to do it.

Mikesell on the other hand has no problem playing with effort and intensity. He has an athleticism problem.

Effort and Intensity can be changed greatly as we have seen from Darrell's large improvement as a defender. A lack of athleticism is much harder to make up for.
If Mikesell was black and DD was white we would not be having this conversation. There, I said it. And you know it's true.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Kevinob15 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 AM
General

No reason to overreact.
I'm not overreacting at all. You're the one who is taking my simple statement that he can play some time at the 3 and translating that into "the player I obviously think he can be."
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Lieutenant General

If Mikesell was black and DD was white we would not be having this conversation. There, I said it. And you know it's true.
Bull Sh*t! I'm simply comparing the level of athleticism I have seen both of them exhibit on the court. It's pretty simple to see that we don't agree on RM's physical ability to guard 3s and stretch 4s and we might as well leave it there and drop it.

If you want to discuss it further PM me.
flyerfan4life (03-22-2017), m21eagle45 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Major General

LOL.. Yes we would. I'd simply tell you the black guy wearing #33 is really slow, not quick, and is getting beat terribly but the white guy wearing #1 is pretty fast and pretty quick and has improved tremendously...Now can you see where this is going and it really has nothing to do about who is who (other than being a point of reference) and what color?

Last edited by steve; 03-22-2017 at 11:26 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-22-2017), m21eagle45 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MikeFlyer View Post
20 wins in a mid major conf. will only get you thinking about next year.
I have to concur with the assessment 20 wins isn't enough, and frankly not as important as league record & WHO you played OOC. We are not playing in the 60's, 70's, or 80's any more.

I don't agree with the mid major conf comment however. There is the Power 5 + NBE THEN the rest of the league.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 AM
General

LOL.. Yes we would. I'd simply tell you the black guy wearing #33 is really slow, not quick, and is getting beat terribly but the white guy wearing #1 is pretty fast and pretty quick and has improved tremendously...Now can you see where this is going and it really has nothing to do about who is who (other than being a point of reference) and what color?
The guy wearing #33 gets beat on D because he's slow and scores because he's "crafty". The guy wearing #1 gets beat on D because he's lazy and scores because he's "explosive". There is no objective measure of this that I have seen published. Your eyes just tell you. They tell you things you don't want to admit IMO. But, you're not going to admit it under any circumstances so it's a pointless discussion. But I think it's true.

I saw people blow by DD for 2 years on straight line drives and DD barely slowed them down. But he was able to improve that, and it wasn't just through intensity. Nobody out there is so lackadaisical that guys blow by you like they blew by DD. He just wasn't any good, he worked hard, and he got better between his sophomore and junior years. But nobody ever dared to say he wasn't athletic. But the white guy? Easy peasy, he's not athletic. That's answer 1, 2, and 3 on the list. Every time.

Carry on.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
....................And the off-season is in mid-June form.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-31-2017), C-time (03-22-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-22-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-22-2017), TerryK_67 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
The guy wearing #33 gets beat on D because he's slow and scores because he's "crafty". The guy wearing #1 gets beat on D because he's lazy and scores because he's "explosive". There is no objective measure of this that I have seen published. Your eyes just tell you. They tell you things you don't want to admit IMO. But, you're not going to admit it under any circumstances so it's a pointless discussion. But I think it's true.

I saw people blow by DD for 2 years on straight line drives and DD barely slowed them down. But he was able to improve that, and it wasn't just through intensity. Nobody out there is so lackadaisical that guys blow by you like they blew by DD. He just wasn't any good, he worked hard, and he got better between his sophomore and junior years. But nobody ever dared to say he wasn't athletic. But the white guy? Easy peasy, he's not athletic. That's answer 1, 2, and 3 on the list. Every time.

Carry on.
I think RM has deceptive speed. I think if he develops just a little more grit he can be a real scrappy player for the flyers. We already knows a he bring his lunch pail to work everyday and he plays the game the right way. Oh ya, high basketball IQ as well.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-22-2017), Flyer 86 (03-22-2017), Gazoo (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:52 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Gazoo, I think DD and his coach would admit he was indifferent to playing defense.

If Mikesell's issues are because of the same level of indifference, then he can improve to an equal extent. If they aren't, then well maybe not.
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
I think RM has deceptive speed. I think if he develops just a little more grit he can be a real scrappy player for the flyers. We already knows a he bring his lunch pail to work everyday and he plays the game the right way. Oh ya, high basketball IQ as well.
I think he already has both the grit which can also certainly be attained/shown without the growl and menacing face that comes with it and the scrappy play as there have been games RM has sprawled on the floor and also done a very nice job on the boards and taken a few elbows while doing it.

He simply HAS to put on some lbs., hit the weight room far more and work every single day on footwork. If he thinks he's working hard he simply has to still work that much harder.This does not and won't make him an elite athlete out there but who cares? It can really make him a far more confident and productive player and that's what a couple of these 3rd year-to-be players have to do..
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Gazoo, I think DD and his coach would admit he was indifferent to playing defense.
Links please. Not saying they don't exist.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure Archie ever said he was indifferent to playing D but he has certainly said multiple times this year that DD has bought into playing D and has improved himself in this facet of the game.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I have no deeper insight on Svoboda, but I have a hard time believing that Miller would give up that 13th scholarship without strong belief that it was for a guy that UD could not pass up.

It seems like that last scholarship is usually held in reserve for a transfer or pick-up that is blue-chip in nature.
100% agreed. Guys a stud in the making, or already. Gonna bring maturity.

(Plus i would take a year of Simmons over 2 of JC)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing these 5 on the court together:

Wright
Davis
Williams
Kostas
Cunningham
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody else initially get confused seeing "Williams", and then suddenly remember that Xeyrius has a last name?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Anybody else initially get confused seeing "Williams", and then suddenly remember that Xeyrius has a last name?
He does not have a last name.

He is Xman!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
yep it was like who the heck is Williams oh yea Xeyrius.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:49 AM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
....................And the off-season is in mid-June form.
Naturally. We have alot to speculate on with next year's team and the future.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing these 5 on the court together:

Wright
Davis
Williams
Kostas
Cunningham
Freshman backcourt next year starting, could be
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 AM
General

Not sure Archie ever said he was indifferent to playing D but he has certainly said multiple times this year that DD has bought into playing D and has improved himself in this facet of the game.
Good, and good for him.

So I assume this is unrelated to the idea that he's more "capable" than Mikesell because I see nothing written or linked (YET) that implies DD or AM said that.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
I agree with this starting 5 by league play if not sooner. MW, DD, KA, XW, JC. RM, JC, and SM seem to be the most obvious off the bench but that's because it's hard to say which frosh will be ready. I see a high energy Trey Landers getting minutes in a defensive role too.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Major General

Archdeacon Article about it

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...8jNSpXY8nYlPN/

I have also seen it on a few videos, have not had luck running those down.

EDIT: For all you older people that are always demanding sources or links to articles, most of the time it is actually faster to do a google search than typing out multiple posts demanding links like Gazoo. I literally typed "Darrell Davis Dayton Improved Defense" hit enter, and this was the first article that popped up. Took a total of 6 seconds. Just type in exactly what you are looking for. 99% of the time, it is the first article that pops up.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-23-2017 at 09:28 AM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-23-2017), C-time (03-23-2017), flyerfan4life (03-23-2017), fuz_forward (03-23-2017), jack72 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM
General

Archdeacon Article about it

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...8jNSpXY8nYlPN/

I have also seen it on a few videos, have not had luck running those down.

EDIT: For all you older people that are always demanding sources or links to articles, most of the time it is actually faster to do a google search than typing out multiple posts demanding links like Gazoo. I literally typed "Darrell Davis Dayton Improved Defense" hit enter, and this was the first article that popped up. Took a total of 6 seconds. Just type in exactly what you are looking for. 99% of the time, it is the first article that pops up.
Hey m21eagle45, old geezer Gazoo here (age 44). I typed "Darrell Davis better defense than Ryan Mikesell Dayton because he's black" and got 0 hits. I was promised this newfangled Googly-moogly thiny would provide all answers even to questions that have not been asked before. I'm disappointed, I don't think this whole Internet thingy is going to last.

That particular search did turn up this quote from Miller on the topic of Mikesell though:

"But for me, he’s got to be a smarter defender. Right now he’s picking up a couple quick fouls each half unnecessarily. You weren’t in proper position when the guy caught it, so you reacted late and you got nervous and you fouled."

Is it implied that "not smart" and "improper position" and "react late" is just code for "slow"?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Major General

Hey m21eagle45, old geezer Gazoo here (age 44). I typed "Darrell Davis better defense than Ryan Mikesell Dayton because he's black" and got 0 hits. I was promised this newfangled Googly-moogly thiny would provide all answers even to questions that have not been asked before. I'm disappointed, I don't think this whole Internet thingy is going to last.

That particular search did turn up this quote from Miller on the topic of Mikesell though:

"But for me, he’s got to be a smarter defender. Right now he’s picking up a couple quick fouls each half unnecessarily. You weren’t in proper position when the guy caught it, so you reacted late and you got nervous and you fouled."

Is it implied that "not smart" and "improper position" and "react late" is just code for "slow"?
Why do you keep making this about race? It has absolutely nothing to do with race! I don't care if they are black, white, yellow, purple, red, blue or green. This is 100% strictly off what others and myself have seen. The article clearly shows that DD just was never interested in playing defense. Then he learned to focus and do it. He didn't have to improve his speed, quickness, or athleticism to do it.

For RM, he would have to improve in all 3 of those areas to be able to be a better defender. I don't think he is slow and unathletic because he is white. I think he is slow and unathletic based off of him getting blown by when he was in good defensive position, being extremely late on rotations, being extremely slow to recover, and not being able to keep guys in front of him. Has nothing to do with race or effort, and has everything to do with his physical abilities.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-23-2017 at 11:20 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-23-2017), flyerfan4life (03-23-2017), steve (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
I don't see any scenario where A. Darrel is not a starter or B. doesn't get the most minutes of any guard.

If I am wrong, look out, because this team will be very good.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of

If you don't see that Mikesell gets beat off the dribble by virtually EVERYONE due to his lack of lateral quickness, you aren't watching.
Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM
General

Why do you keep making this about race? It has absolutely nothing to do with race! I don't care if they are black, white, yellow, purple, red, blue or green. This is 100% strictly off what others and myself have seen. The article clearly shows that DD just was never interested in playing defense. Then he learned to focus and do it. He didn't have to improve his speed, quickness, or athleticism to do it.

For RM, he would have to improve in all 3 of those areas to be able to be a better defender. I don't think he is slow and unathletic because he is white. I think he is slow and unathletic based off of him getting blown by when he was in good defensive position, being extremely late on rotations, being extremely slow to recover, and not being able to keep guys in front of him. Has nothing to do with race or effort, and has everything to do with his physical abilities.
I've already explained why it's about race. It's because if DD was a white sophomore, and got beat on every single drive (which he did as a sophomore), the answer would NOT be that he's slow. But not RM. It's not about being smart (as his coach said) or late reaction to situations (as his coach said) or poor positioning (as his coach said), it's because he's slow.

Food for thought: maybe it's about positioning, being smarter, and being in better position. You know, the stuff his coach said. Then your "eyes" would tell you he's not nearly as slow as you think he is.

Is he as quick as DD? Highly doubtful, DD is 6'4" and RM is 6'8" so he's got the deck stacked against him. All I'm saying is his coach -- the guy who sees him in practice every day and gets paid millions to coach -- said it's about being smarter and better positioning. I don't recall his coach (but use the Google to correct me here) saying "RM is at a big disadvantage because his foot speed is poor." Maybe he did.

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
If you don't see that Mikesell gets beat off the dribble by virtually EVERYONE due to his lack of lateral quickness, you aren't watching.
There it is, the natural end to debate. It's the UDPride equivalent of Goodwin's law.

Last edited by Gazoo; 03-23-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Lieutenant General

DD is 6'4" and RM is 6'8"
Since you're all about facts and accuracy you might want to check the heights of UD's players before you post them. A quick google search which you claim you know how to do would tell you that Darrell is 6'5" and Mikesell is 6'7"

http://www.daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
Atlantic 10 (03-23-2017), steve (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Major General

I've already explained why it's about race. It's because if DD was a white sophomore, and got beat on every single drive (which he did as a sophomore), the answer would NOT be that he's slow. But not RM. It's not about being smart (as his coach said) or late reaction to situations (as his coach said) or poor positioning (as his coach said), it's because he's slow.

Food for thought: maybe it's about positioning, being smarter, and being in better position. You know, the stuff his coach said. Then your "eyes" would tell you he's not nearly as slow as you think he is.

Is he as quick as DD? Highly doubtful, DD is 6'4" and RM is 6'8" so he's got the deck stacked against him. All I'm saying is his coach -- the guy who sees him in practice every day and gets paid millions to coach -- said it's about being smarter and better positioning. I don't recall his coach (but use the Google to correct me here) saying "RM is at a big disadvantage because his foot speed is poor." Maybe he did.

There it is, the natural end to debate. It's the UDPride equivalent of Goodwin's law.
Well I am done with this as well. If RM was black, I would still be saying he is slow and unathletic. If DD was white, I would still think his issues were not from lack of talent, just lack of effort. Unlike you, I do not look at the stereotype of the athletes when I watch them play. If you are going to continue to make this about race, when for me it doesn't apply, then I can no longer have a healthy debate or conversation about the topic.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I don't see any scenario where A. Darrel is not a starter or B. doesn't get the most minutes of any guard.

If I am wrong, look out, because this team will be very good.
There are scenarios. Injuries for one. But regardless, Jordan Davis is going to play a lot. By season's end, I could see an even split.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Im still amazed people can't spell his name correctly. It is Darrell Davis. Not Darryl. Not Darrel. The dudes been here almost 4 years now. Hell, some are still spelling Scoochie, Schoochie or Scootchie.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Captain

LIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Im still amazed people can't spell his name correctly. It is Darrell Davis. Not Darryl. Not Darrel. The dudes been here almost 4 years now. Hell, some are still spelling Scoochie, Schoochie or Scootchie.
They spelled it Soochie on the video board at Bankers Life for the pre-game intros last Friday.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Must have copied the name wrong from his drivers license.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Why not?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Names can be difficult

Originally Posted by LIBob View Post
They spelled it Soochie on the video board at Bankers Life for the pre-game intros last Friday.
Reminds me of the road game years ago where the announcers
kept saying "Ramrod" Marshall.

They were informed about the error. And after several more mispronunciations, they got it right and called him "Ramod MITCHELL"!!
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Reminds me of the road game years ago where the announcers
kept saying "Ramrod" Marshall.

They were informed about the error. And after several more mispronunciations, they got it right and called him "Ramod MITCHELL"!!
From DAY-in University?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Captain

Since you're all about facts and accuracy you might want to check the heights of UD's players before you post them. A quick google search which you claim you know how to do would tell you that Darrell is 6'5" and Mikesell is 6'7"

http://www.daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
6'4" without the hair.
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Well, as far as the 17-18 season is concerned, we can probably throw this whole thread in the trash.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Well, as far as the 17-18 season is concerned, we can probably throw this whole thread in the trash.
I don't think my post from early in the thread should be put in the trash.

My prediction is that we should all just wait and see who is actually on campus in August.

Is Archie here? Does Svoboda make it through the NCAA clearinghouse? Does anybody get Criped? Do we get any Grad Transfers? Way to many questions to even waste our time with a bunch of hypotheticals at this point.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Picking the right coach is number one. But holding on to commits is right behind.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Keeping commits is highly unlikely. They will jump quickly to someone they have a relationship with already. Archie lost both commits when he took over. Next year could be bleak, Duquesnesque.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think my post from early in the thread should be put in the trash.
Well, if we put the rest of this thread in the trash, yours would look pretty silly standing all by itself without any context, so we need to pitch it too.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Archdeacon or Jablonski had articles on it. DD said he came into the program having never needed to defend and in his first two years never bought into playing defense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
BUMP..

This thread got buried under the wave of news and speculation.

We have a coach, he's reached out to some or all of the committed recruits, perhaps the kid from Europe as well (though considering he never signed an LOI, it would surprise me if he enrolled at UD) and to date, nobody has declared that they are looking to transfer out, so we've got that going for us.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm very surprised we have not heard about a transfer or a recruit decommitting yet. And since that is the case my opinions on next year haven't changed a whole hell of a lot.

Last edited by hawkoooo; 03-31-2017 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
i'm usually a pessimist, i swear. But I have some hope for next season. Assuming Kostas stays and if reports about him are accurate our 3-5 (in any order kostas, XW, and JC) have the potential to be a phenomenal front court. Regardless of your opinion of DD, I don't think you can't say he's a quality 2, and then the big question mark is at the point. I have to believe if we lose the class we'll get a juco or grad transfer there. We've been deeper, but there is certainly talent there.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Major General

I'm very surprised we have not heard about a transfer or a recruit decommitting yet. And since that is the case my opinions on next year haven't changed a whole hell of a lot.
Just don't panic if/when Dayton grants releases to all or most of the recruits. A lot of times you'll see a school just release them all as the new coach works to re-recruit them. Saying "we need to make sure you don't talk to anyone else while you get acquainted with the new coach" isn't necessarily the right way to go about it. Things have changed drastically, and it's important for these kids to know that Dayton wants what is best for each kid. Hopefully, that is attending UD, but at the end of the day you have to make sure everyone on both sides of things (player and coach) feels that they are a good match for each other.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Just don't panic if/when Dayton grants releases to all or most of the recruits. A lot of times you'll see a school just release them all as the new coach works to re-recruit them. Saying "we need to make sure you don't talk to anyone else while you get acquainted with the new coach" isn't necessarily the right way to go about it. Things have changed drastically, and it's important for these kids to know that Dayton wants what is best for each kid. Hopefully, that is attending UD, but at the end of the day you have to make sure everyone on both sides of things (player and coach) feels that they are a good match for each other.
However, generally releases are requested within the first few days after a coach leaves. This is because the kids can't talk to another coach while under NLI. It is interesting that none have even asked for a release to talk to other programs.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
However, generally releases are requested within the first few days after a coach leaves. This is because the kids can't talk to another coach while under NLI. It is interesting that none have even asked for a release to talk to other programs.
Credit to UD's administration for keeping the lines of communication open during the search. It sounds like they were providing a lot of updates and reassurances.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
I noticed this too. And only Wright removed "Dayton Commit" from his twitter account. Everyone else still list that designation. Who knows what will happen with each if them, but I'd like to let them know I appreciate they were mature about AM leaving and taking a moment to see who we hired and giving AG, UD, the current players and the Flyer Faithful an opportunity to re-sell them on becoming a Flyer under AG. It doesn't usually happen like that. I think it's also a tribute to the current team. I think they have done a great job reaching out to these recruits after they committed and brought them into the TrueTeam environment before and after they signed. They are all currently part of the Flyer Family and I hope they all decide this is bigger than a coach leaving. Being a Dayton Flyer is for life. Nobody is a greater example of that than AG. And I hope they take AMs advise and come to UD because their initial decision was made for all the right reasons.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-31-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:12 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Trey's sports hernia bothering him last year could explain his usage
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

But then why play him in mop up time? It's not like 30 seconds here, 2 minutes there in a blowout does anything for experience. I don't buy that it had a role
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (04-06-2017), m21eagle45 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
But then why play him in mop up time? It's not like 30 seconds here, 2 minutes there in a blowout does anything for experience. I don't buy that it had a role
He was the 12th guy on the bench. If there was an issue, it would have made more sense to have it fixed during the season to not prevent his development over the summer.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (04-06-2017), jerseyflyer09 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM
General

Maybe it's one of those things you just to try to play through and see if it heals on it's own
Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Trey Landers didn't play because he didn't earn the minutes. I suppose it is possible he didn't earn the minutes because he was not at 100%.

One thing is for sure, the minutes are wide open for the upcoming season. It will be very clear come next season.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Brigadier General

Ok, since Carter and Wright are probably gone and we don't know the fate of Svoboda and Price, let's imagine a future without them. And for sake of discussion, without any impact transfers or recruits.

I'm guessing DD would play a lot of PG. People on this board have heralded Kostas' ability to handle the ball, but is that reasonable? My guess is it would just be DD/JC playing point. Not sure if Trey or Jordan could get minutes here.

DD would get minutes at the 2 as well, leaving J. Davis getting big minutes and dare I say Mikesell getting some minutes at the 2? Trey will get minutes here too of course.

The rest of the lineup is pretty clear I think. Mikesell starts at the 3, X at the 4, and Josh as the de facto center with Sam and Kostas playing big minutes off the bench. I'm guessing in this scenario Trey would likely see minutes as the 3 as well since his size makes him a perfect candidate for that 2-3 hybrid position.

Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Major General

Gruden!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas starts from day 1. Mikesell off the bench.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Major General

Ok, since Carter and Wright are probably gone and we don't know the fate of Svoboda and Price, let's imagine a future without them. And for sake of discussion, without any impact transfers or recruits.

I'm guessing DD would play a lot of PG. People on this board have heralded Kostas' ability to handle the ball, but is that reasonable? My guess is it would just be DD/JC playing point. Not sure if Trey or Jordan could get minutes here.

DD would get minutes at the 2 as well, leaving J. Davis getting big minutes and dare I say Mikesell getting some minutes at the 2? Trey will get minutes here too of course.

The rest of the lineup is pretty clear I think. Mikesell starts at the 3, X at the 4, and Josh as the de facto center with Sam and Kostas playing big minutes off the bench. I'm guessing in this scenario Trey would likely see minutes as the 3 as well since his size makes him a perfect candidate for that 2-3 hybrid position.

Thoughts?
Are we assuming we get NOBODY to replace these guys?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-12-2017), jerseyflyer09 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 PM
1st Lieutenant

yeah it's a tough premise. I'd be completely shocked if we didn't feel the gaping need at pg with a grad transfer. Even if he is not at our level, there needs to be another pg and it really can't be DD/JC. I hope it's someone who can come in and be very good, but even just a steady, average mid-level guard who can give 15 a game will be taken if there's nothing else.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

I certainly hope we do, but was trying to prepare for a scenario where perhaps we get a regular transfer (not grad who can play right away), freshman not ready to contribute, and/or hold some ships.