User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,572 Times in 5,079 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Team Development

Going into this season, my big question was if Grant could get these guys playing good defense. After listening to some of Brooks Halls comments in the postgame, it made me reflect on that. Brooks thinks that we have 5 lock-down types of defenders right now. I believe that he listed Crutcher, Chatman, Landers, Mikesell and Cohill.

All season long, I have thought that Chatman and Cohill were pretty good guard defenders, especially Chatman. But it made me think about what we have seen from the other three. Before I heard these comments from Hall, I mentioned to the fan who sits next to me that Mikesell was playing excellent defense last night. I think I have found myself taking for granted the good defense by Landers for quite some time. He is constantly switching to the opposing bigs and is holding his own because of his strength. His defensive value is in his versatility. He makes our switching defense really effective because he can defend a guard and a big. I never thought of Crutcher as an excellent defender, and I think that is because, last season, he was called on to run the entire offense and could hardly be expected to have the energy to dedicate to really hard defense. This year, Chatman is giving him the luxury of dedicating a lot more to defense, and obviously, because he does not have to run the offense all the time, he is getting to spot up around the perimeter so that he can just destroy other teams with his 3pt shot.

Anyhow, I think that we have dramatically improved our defense throughout the year. It could be more consistent, but I see a lot of development there as a team.

Also, I have noticed a bigger dedication to the fundamentals of boxing out. Once, last night, when Bonaventure put up a shot, I saw Mikesell actually turn his back to the basket for a few seconds and track down a man to put his body on for the box-out. It's the first time I have noticed one of our players actually proactively track down the opponent for the box out.

Last edited by Fudd; 01-23-2020 at 08:33 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-24-2020), Clear Prop (01-23-2020), sheg (01-23-2020), wes (01-23-2020)
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
i have been extremely impressed with Mikesell's defensive growth.
There have been games where he has guarded all 5 positions and often switches between 3 or more opponents in a single possession. He's not a lock down shut out defender against all of those guys, but he is serviceable to solid one on one and gets into passing lanes when he's off the ball.
I'll be honest. I didn't think he could guard his shadow early in his career. He has made me a believer. What a difference some hip surgery makes!
Old 01-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,329 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Mikesell has been great on D this year. If you watch him, what he may lack in overall speed, he makes up for with superior lateral movement. When he guards on the perimeter, especially on the wings, there are rarely any guards that can get by him.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,490 Times in 765 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Fudd, I completely agree with you, and I suspect that some of the defensive fundamentals have trickled down from Don Donoher (Happy Birthday Don) through AG. The guys have bought in since they have seen the results. Now part (most?) of that overall success is due to Obi's offensive prowess. Going forward though, I'm more concerned about the offensive development of Cohill, Matos, and Jordy. I'm not seeing enough out of these guys to be comfortable about next year. Chapman, Ibi, and Crutcher are ready to go, but beyond that, i'm not sure. Who knows what Sissoko and the incoming guys will bring to the table. I saw Cohill play in HS, and short of anything else, he could score. If he can get some confidence, he could be a 3pt threat next year.

Enjoying the ride! One. Game. At. A. Time. See you in Atlanta!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
^pretty good for a guy with bionic hips!

Dayton's adjusted defensive efficiency has improved to 91.8 points per 100 possessions, good for 26th best in D1. That's improved from 92nd last year.

They're about 3 points per game away from being a top 5 defense (nice when you're also (currently) the #1 offense).
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-23-2020), Fudd (01-23-2020), fuz_forward (01-23-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-23-2020), Runnin' Rebel (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,364 Times in 2,464 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
In the post-game interview, AG said he was trying to find the right combinations with his bench players to get more out of them. Said he wasn’t there yet. Last night I saw a combination I don’t remember seeing before...although someone might have noticed it before last night...so speak up if you have. I called it tall-ball.

Jordy, Mikesell, Obi, Ibi, Crutcher. I think Obi was playing the 3. You swap out Trey with Crutcher and Obi would be playing the 2 and you could call it very-tall ball. Matos could also be in a tall-ball mix. Matos made a nice assist to Jordy who was sliding down the lane last night when they were in together. Matos also hit a three from the corner.

What I liked best about AG’s comment is he knows he’s got to find more off the bench before this season is over and he’s willing to mix up combinations to find a way for others to contribute. During preseason everyone was concerned about AG spreading the minutes with so much talent. It’s pretty clear who the top 6 players are. Now AG is trying to get other guys more minutes...if they can carve out a role and contribute. Gotta like nobody is standing pat with the current level of play. Coaches and players are pushing forward, trying to find ways to get better.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (01-23-2020), CvilleFlyer (01-23-2020), udisit19 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Ya it wasn't more than 2-3 months ago people were guessing who may be the next transfer and/or just have reduced minutes this season.. Now there are lots of mpg that could/can be distributed but it's up to the bench guys to seize those..
Old 01-23-2020, 12:12 PM

Thanked 1,303 Times in 675 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
There's minutes to be had because most games we're comfortably ahead. Where we really need these guys is games like SLU, where Crutcher and Obi played over 40 minutes, and not be worried about a significant dropoff when they are in the game.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shwag33 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=N2663R;610916]Going forward though, I'm more concerned about the offensive development of Cohill, Matos, and Jordy. I'm not seeing enough out of these guys to be comfortable about next year.

QUOTE]

A lot has been said about Jordy regarding his trouble catching the ball cleanly. It was very encouraging see him catch a pass and very quickly turn and finish near the end of the game last night. Jhery receives a pass on the perimeter from Mikesell. Since Jhery was moving towards the center of the court, a quick move towards the sideline allows him to beat his defender. It looks like Jhery has an option to finish at the rim, but Bonaventure help defense arrives, and he chooses to pass. The pass to Jordy is pretty good, maybe slightly too low for a big like Jordy, but he collects the pass and finishes only a foot from the rim.

This offense has such a high amount of assists, Jordy needs to be able to receive the pass, because there are lots of passes.

It is obviously just one play, but lets hope that was because of some focus in practice on this weakness in his game.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Also, I have noticed a bigger dedication to the fundamentals of boxing out. Once, last night, when Bonaventure put up a shot, I saw Mikesell actually turn his back to the basket for a few seconds and track down a man to put his body on for the box-out. It's the first time I have noticed one of our players actually proactively track down the opponent for the box out.
We're definitely much better at boxing out. It's not perfect every time down the court, but it's a more consistent effort. Coach Greer is constantly reminding the players to "box out". We can easily hear him all the way up where we sit!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:05 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought there were 4-5 times that the ball could have been passed to Jordy, who had a good post up, and our player looked him off and went sideways. There is a lack of trust in Jordy right now, but he will get better if the pass is made.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,329 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I thought there were 4-5 times that the ball could have been passed to Jordy, who had a good post up, and our player looked him off and went sideways. There is a lack of trust in Jordy right now, but he will get better if the pass is made.
It may have been because he bobbled and lost at least three rebounds last night. I can honestly say I have never seen someone with as bad of hands as he has, especially contrasted with Obi who has the most amazing hands I have ever seen.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone likes to pound on Jordy, but you can't complain much about his rebounding. He is just slightly less per minute than Obi.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-23-2020), jpk4ud (01-23-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Everyone likes to pound on Jordy, but you can't complain much about his rebounding. He is just slightly less per minute than Obi.
Jordy is also effective at setting screens. I remember one play last night where he cleared out his own defender and still had the position to clear out the guy guarding the ball. Our ballhandler had a clear lane to the hoop. That was as good as an assist.
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-24-2020), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-24-2020), Fudd (01-24-2020), Glen Clark (01-24-2020), John C. (01-23-2020), m21eagle45 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Mikesell has been great on D this year. If you watch him, what he may lack in overall speed, he makes up for with superior lateral movement. When he guards on the perimeter, especially on the wings, there are rarely any guards that can get by him.
Healthy hips make a difference.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,572 Times in 5,079 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Jordy is also effective at setting screens. I remember one play last night where he cleared out his own defender and still had the position to clear out the guy guarding the ball. Our ballhandler had a clear lane to the hoop. That was as good as an assist.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've seen that a few times over the last several games. I tell the guy next to me that they ought to credit the shot to Jordy when he seals the defense off so completely that another Flyer gets an uncontested layup.

Last edited by Fudd; 01-24-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I,ve seen that a few times over the last several games. I tell the guy next to me that they ought to credit the shot to Jordy when he seals the defense off so completely that another Flyer gets an uncontested layup.
this..)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
It is too bad that you can only get one assist on a play. There are many times a game where there is an assist but as the play developed you see that the way the play is designed two assists could have been given out, like hockey.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It is too bad that you can only get one assist on a play. There are many times a game where there is an assist but as the play developed you see that the way the play is designed two assists could have been given out, like hockey.
I have thought the same thing. At the risk of reigniting another debate, Chatman would have had at least half a dozen more assists on Wednesday night.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-24-2020), steverino015 (01-24-2020)