UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2017-2018 Game Threads

2017-2018 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
The 21pts by grad student Butler transfer Castro-Caneddy meant something too. He would start for us. Lewis the sophomore started 31 games last year -- he was an A10 All Rookie -- something we don't have. We would also start for us. Williams the true frosh has already been named A10 ROW a few times -- again something our frosh can't claim.

Dukes have as much talent as we do -- at least in terms of bodies we played today. In a close game at home -- it favors them. Go 18-21 at the stripe while UD goes 9-17 and the better team won. I didnt see Dayton under-achieve. I saw us perform about up to our level of talent and execution and get beat by a team that played slightly above that level. Going in I figured a 1 in 4 chance of winning this. Probably sold them a bit short, but not having won a road game yet, I was not optimistic in the least.
And down the stretch it was all a freshman and guy that played one year at Coppin State making plays. It wasn't experience that made the difference. That's the point I was making.

Duquesne has FIVE players sitting out this year as transfers. FIVE. They were just as limited in bodies as we were and are undergoing their own roster overhaul. That was not a good basketball team we lost to today.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (12-30-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2017, 11:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Who's he gonna sub in? Ryan Perryman?

He probably sat Kostas in the second half to send him a msg to get his brain in sync with his composure. I would have hoped for nothing less.

I have my own gripes with some of the coaching, but My God did Archie leave Grant with one heck of a pickle. We are taking a butter knife to a gun fight every time we take the court. With an arm tied behind our back. We can argue about why our butter knife jabs arent as clean as they should be, but at some point we must also recognize the gun in the room.

Did we lose to an inferior team today? Im not convinced. Looked like two evenly matched teams to me. The more experienced team won the last 4 minutes -- as one would expect them to. We played about 7 guys. Four were true frosh. Throw in a walk-on. Dambrot should probably hold his head in shame for not pasting us by 25.
I agree, Chris. Grant has had a more uphill climb than any UD men’ BB coach since Purnell. Gregory walked into a senior-dominated lineup and had a year to recruit guys to plug the upcoming holes. Miller came into a situation with lots of experienced (albeit limited) players. Grant, by contrast, came into a situation with 1 returning starter, and only 6 guys who had seen any real action, 2 of whom have been injured for much (Williams) or all (Mikesell) of this season, and 1 of whom (Miller) was a bonehead who got himself kicked out of school.

And, to those who would attack me as an “apologist”, I’m not excusing Grant from trying to improve the offense, or the defense, or from developing the players that he has. I’m simply saying that, if you expected results similar to the past 4 years even with all the new faces in this year’s team photo, then you were probably one of the Reds fans in 1982 who expected them to win the division despite the fact that they replaced George Foster & Ken Griffey Sr. with Paul Householder & Cesar Cedeno.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
And down the stretch it was all a freshman and guy that played one year at Coppin State making plays. It wasn't experience that made the difference. That's the point I was making.
And I agree completely. When it wasnt experience, it was talent. They had more of both.

Duquesne has FIVE players sitting out this year as transfers. FIVE. They were just as limited in bodies as we were and are undergoing their own roster overhaul. That was not a good basketball team we lost to today.
And Duquesne is under no illusion that they beat a good basketball team today. Agree they have guys sitting out as well. But the guys they suited up are more talented and experienced than the ones we suited up. They may even have more talent unable to suit up. In fact Id say its very likely.

And yes, perhaps some of their young guys are better than our young guys. Its within the realm of possibility too.

I think we're saying mostly the same thing, but from two different ends of the stick. Both teams are mediocre. The home team won a close one. The end. I just dont see much of a storyline here.

Flyer fans need to forget the Wonderfog of the last four seasons. This was and is a complete reset from ground zero. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Not when we just flipped about 10 roster positions by swapping out a gaggle of 1,000pt scorers with a gaggle of glorified HS graduates and first-year starters.

Our leading scorer averaged 5ppg last year. That's the mountain we're having to climb in 2017-18. The #2 guy has more or less played a half season of ball in the last 2.5 years and suffered a serious injury. The #3 guy has played meaningful minutes in about 1 game in the last month. The #4 guy basically never started a college basketball game until this year and didnt even play today. The #5 guy basically never played until this season and now starts. The #6 guy is a true freshman. The #7 guy is a true freshman. The #8 guy is a true freshman. The #9 guy is RS freshman. The #10 guy cant even play this year b/c of injury. The #11 guy got whacked in a jail cell and is decidedly unavailable. The #12 guy is deceased. The #13 guy that played today is best known for his last name not his basketball.

Anthony Grant is no Coach K. Neither is Archie Miller. But I think the man deserves some rope. When we're getting beaten by similarly-talented teams 3-4 seasons from now with all of AGs recruits in AG's system playing AG's preferred style, then we can level charges.

We do nothing other than make our dang free throws, we win this game coaching aside. At some point dudes on the court gotta make plays. And when they either cannot or will not, they need to grow up on the court and learn from mistakes while the staff scours the nation's blacktop for other dudes capable of making existing first teamers future second teamers.

Until then the coaches and player deserve a bit of latitude. None of them created this situation from their own handiwork -- they inherited most of it. I think it says something about both AG and the new guys that held commitments and came here anyway knowing full well this was going to be a rebuild like few others in Flyer memory -- and not a reload of any capacity.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-31-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-31-2017), Radar (12-31-2017), rollo (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Flyer fans need to forget the Wonderfog of the last four seasons. This was and is a complete reset from ground zero. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Not when we just flipped about 10 roster positions by swapping out a gaggle of 1,000pt scorers with a gaggle of glorified HS graduates and first-year starters.
Pretty much agree with your entire message, Chris. But the above is
the rub. We didn't have just one, two, or three successful seasons...but FOUR. And whether it's AM riding the wave of a singular class of players who all left us last year or not, we should have NEVER been left with 1.5 players with any legit D-1 experience. Not AG's fault at all and he'll get the rope he deserves. But after the last 4 seasons, this program should not be in re-boot mode.