UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Archie on Staying at UD

This has probably been posted -- so sorry if it's a repeat and delete the thread if it is... but in a USA Today article from just a couple weeks ago -- here appears to be Archie's current thoughts on staying at Dayton:

Q: A side effect of last year's great run, too, was all of the sudden, you're being mentioned constantly as a rising young coach or someone associated with other potential open jobs. You obviously announced your extension with Dayton quickly (before the Sweet 16 matchup with Stanford — and it'd been in the works earlier in the season) but was that still a strange experience?

A: It's amazing. In January (last year), you wake up and you feel like death. You feel like you can't even get up and come into this office, you feel so bad; we're not winning. Then, two months later, people would be saying, where are you going next? To me, that doesn't really dial in or make sense. If you're doing it right and you're about the right things, you never want to be looking forward when you're actually dealing in the trenches. I've said this: Dayton gave me an opportunity when I didn't have any wins or losses. So, to me being able to coach here as long as they want me to, that's what I'm happy about. Coming into this season, higher expectations, more awareness. We've been able to play and win games.

We have an amazing fan base. It's crazy. There's a lot of people right now who don't have any of that. I don't think about any other jobs. I never have. We have a good class coming in. I think we can win big here. We're trying to win big, and they want us to win big. They really care about us, from our president to Tim (Wabler), our AD. They really take good care of us, they care about us doing well. To me, it's a great place to coach. I'm not real comfortable with all the outside stuff. I never have been. It's always the question or thing you have to deal with all the time when you're recruiting, or in and around town. 'Hey, please don't go anywhere.' It's kind of like, I've never thought about going anywhere.

In this day and age, it's hard with college basketball in general, the coaching carousel, not to get caught up in it every year, not to be thinking about whatever. I've been at so many places. I know the grass isn't always greener. We can do what we need to do here, and we can be really happy. ​

Entire Feb 27, 2015 article link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...wers/24111833/

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 03-18-2015 at 03:21 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-18-2015), NJFlyr71 (03-18-2015), San Diego Flyer (03-18-2015), Tony T 71 (03-18-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Yesterday morning (about 8:30 am) on FoxSport1 radio Andy Furman and Mike North interviewed Archie and Archie said about the same thing as posted above. He was pointedly asked the question about looking at other schools and Arch had these same exact sentiments ...

One other thing was that Andy Furman (once a sports show taking head in Cincy on WLW a few years back) knows of the Flyers program and was plugging the program to the nine's .... rabid fans, full arena, Don Donaher, on and on ... I hadn't seen any post concerning this specific interview but what was great about it was Andy Furman talking up the program full bore, E8 run etc.

Again you can't buy that type of PUB ....

PS Archie seems to have a set spiel when he is asked if he likes being at UD or entertaining thoughts about 'his next job' ... so good for him, it helps to have a set play for those type of questions!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-18-2015), jack72 (03-18-2015), Superfan (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Captain

KYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
One other thing was that Andy Furman (once a sports show taking head in Cincy on WLW a few years back) knows of the Flyers program and was plugging the program to the nine's .... rabid fans, full arena, Don Donaher, on and on ... I hadn't seen any post concerning this specific interview but what was great about it was Andy Furman talking up the program full bore, E8 run etc.
He has to do that or I will let him have it when I walk up to get the mail. He lives at the top of my street.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to KYFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerFanatic1986 (03-18-2015), sheg (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/...g-at-13416130/

The link to the FOXSPORTS1 radio interview .....
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-18-2015)