User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
The Greatest Season

This was Dayton's greatest season. I hope we have an even better season someday, but it would not surprise me if we never do (at least in my lifetime). For 40 minutes we played the consensus #1 team to a tie. On top of that, we were undefeated in regulation, undefeated on the road, and undefeated at home. Regardless of what the polls say, we were #2 in the country this year. Obi's final home game and his dunk-show is immediately an all-time classic.

The cancellation of the A-10 tournament and the the NCAA tournament was disappointing, but the silver lining is that there was no loss to ruin the ending of a glorious season. With the way that expectations were built up, it would be hard not to be disappointed. An A-10 championship was the expectation. And then followed by at least an Elite 8 appearance. If we didn't win the A-10 championship, then we'd need to at least make the Final 4 to make up for it. That's just to meet expectations. At that point, anything less than the championship would hurt. And if we didn't meet expectations... or even worse a loss in round 2... that would have been soul-crushing. (With a 1 seed, a round 1 loss would have been nigh impossible.)

I know this year was different from every other year, and we had a legitimate chance to win the whole thing, but we still were most likely not going to win it all - several teams had a legitimate chance. After so many years of having high expectations crushed (only about 4 or 5 seasons out of the past 30 that didn't end in disappointment), and this year raising expectations even higher, in a way it's nice that The Greatest Season didn't end in a loss.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-06-2020), fuz_forward (04-21-2020)
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2020, 03:14 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
This was Dayton's greatest season. I hope we have an even better season someday, but it would not surprise me if we never do (at least in my lifetime). For 40 minutes we played the consensus #1 team to a tie. On top of that, we were undefeated in regulation, undefeated on the road, and undefeated at home. Regardless of what the polls say, we were #2 in the country this year. Obi's final home game and his dunk-show is immediately an all-time classic.

The cancellation of the A-10 tournament and the the NCAA tournament was disappointing, but the silver lining is that there was no loss to ruin the ending of a glorious season. With the way that expectations were built up, it would be hard not to be disappointed. An A-10 championship was the expectation. And then followed by at least an Elite 8 appearance. If we didn't win the A-10 championship, then we'd need to at least make the Final 4 to make up for it. That's just to meet expectations. At that point, anything less than the championship would hurt. And if we didn't meet expectations... or even worse a loss in round 2... that would have been soul-crushing. (With a 1 seed, a round 1 loss would have been nigh impossible.)

I know this year was different from every other year, and we had a legitimate chance to win the whole thing, but we still were most likely not going to win it all - several teams had a legitimate chance. After so many years of having high expectations crushed (only about 4 or 5 seasons out of the past 30 that didn't end in disappointment), and this year raising expectations even higher, in a way it's nice that The Greatest Season didn't end in a loss.
NO, NO, NO No matter how you twist and turn things to help you sleep at night, this season of all seasons was the very worst of any to end with no conclusion. Couldas, wouldas, shouldas are not good to live with. Again, I'd rather have lost early in the tournament than to not know. If we lose, we obviously had some flaws that didn't show up during the season and I could live with that. Now all I can do is wonder. We are always craving national attention and while we got a lot of it during the season, we would've gotten it on steroids while we were in the tournament.

We had our first legitimate chance of winning a national championship taken away, how is that good? I'll answer that for you, it's not.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-21-2020), Flyer 86 (05-06-2020), FlyerinChicago (04-21-2020), Monster Man (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,343 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
NO, NO, NO No matter how you twist and turn things to help you sleep at night, this season of all seasons was the very worst of any to end with no conclusion. Couldas, wouldas, shouldas are not good to live with. Again, I'd rather have lost early in the tournament than to not know. If we lose, we obviously had some flaws that didn't show up during the season and I could live with that. Now all I can do is wonder. We are always craving national attention and while we got a lot of it during the season, we would've gotten it on steroids while we were in the tournament.

We had our first legitimate chance of winning a national championship taken away, how is that good? I'll answer that for you, it's not.
Second legitimate chance of winning a national championship... 1967
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
EliteEight (04-21-2020), FlyerinChicago (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 04:44 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Second legitimate chance of winning a national championship... 1967
first, that team had no chance of beating Alcindor. Donoher will tell you that.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
But we had a much better chance of beating them in the NC game than any other D-1 team.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
But we had a much better chance of beating them in the NC game than any other D-1 team.
We had a better chance of winning it all in 1984 and 2014 than we did of beating that 1967 UCLA team. This was the one year we didn't see that brick wall waiting for us to run into Whether that turned out to be the case, we'll never know. But it's also the only year we went into it rated #3 and arguably could've been #2 and with an overtime loss to #1. This season was different. We weren't Cinderella.

So what I'm saying is we had a better chance of winning 6 in a row to win a National Championship this season than we did of winning that championship game against UCLA.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (05-06-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:14 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

How about best REGULAR season ever?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:16 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
The game that went to 3OT's? That's a statement that's (at best) interesting to reconcile.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (05-08-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The game that went to 3OT's? That's a statement that's (at best) interesting to reconcile.
The triple OT was 1974. Bill Walton was the UCLA center then.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-06-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:58 PM
General

Seriously?

A history lesson for you : And merciful Bruins coach John Wooden pulled Alcindor and the rest of his starters out of the game with five minutes remaining and UCLA 25 points ahead. Don May led the outmanned Flyers with 21 points.

Please note Dayton's leading scorer was Don May not Mike Sylvester.

Last edited by Smitty10; 04-21-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Old 04-21-2020, 07:18 PM
General

How about best REGULAR season ever?
Not sure of what you're asking?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 PM
General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
The triple OT was 1974. Bill Walton was the UCLA center then.
My bad, switched the games
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 PM
General

Seriously?

A history lesson for you : And merciful Bruins coach John Wooden pulled Alcindor and the rest of his starters out of the game with five minutes remaining and UCLA 25 points ahead. Don May led the outmanned Flyers with 21 points.

Please note Dayton's leading scorer was Don May not Mike Sylvester.
Please forgive me.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
What I will take away from this past season is just the ultimate joy watching this team play. Home or away, I could not wait for game day. As all Flyer fans will understand, before each game there was a nagging thought in the back of the mind - is this the game we lay an egg? Yet, we never did.

Then to watch this team play, the unselfishness, the camaraderie, the joy on the floor, the beauty of the offensive flow - it was magical. We may have good teams down the road, but none will ever capture Flyer fans like this team.
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-22-2020), Flyer Dave (04-22-2020), FlyingArrow (04-21-2020), Fudd (04-22-2020), MikeFlyer (04-22-2020), Piqua Flyer '66 (04-21-2020), pmcmullen (04-22-2020), San Diego Flyer (04-22-2020), Southwest (04-21-2020), tirebiter (04-21-2020), UACFlyer (05-07-2020), UD62 (04-21-2020), wes (05-07-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I found the season deeply satisfying. After Maui, you began to get a sense of how good we were. Many long-time Flyer fans were still skeptical and would give you the side-eye when you started to talk about being contenders for the National Championship, but by the end of the year, even the deeply jaded were entertaining the possibility.

And it was not just die-hard Flyer fans who were thinking the team was "legit". It ended up being most of the media punditry, writers, etc.

Fun season.

Last edited by Fudd; 04-22-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Please forgive me.
Say five Hail Mary's and five Our Father's.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:14 AM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Being caged at home, I can't get enough of the replays of Flyer games. There are some games that are just priceless. We were so efficient and together for long stretches. Reminds me of some of those really good Celtic and Lakers teams.

One aspect of their play that was awesome was that any player who drove the lane knew exactly where his bail-out man was stationed. Some times when Crutcher, Obi, Chatman drove the lane, Trey, Ryan, Ibi ran to their spot.

Listening to the Richmond Coach try to describe the Flyer attack was like music. He could barely find enough words to describe what he witnessed. And Richmond is a pretty good club.
The Senior Night game, second half against GW was my favorite. The cameras gave the Flyer Faithful loads of screen time.The first 10 minutes against URI, 17-0 ---priceless.
How about the 27 point beat down of V Tech. Were we even favored? Perfect.

I'd rather watch the 2020 Flyers on replay than Michael Jordan narrating something from 30 years ago, or Barcelona soccer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (05-08-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-22-2020), ud69 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:30 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
On our bad days, we were good enough to beat decent teams, even on the road. On our good days, we just dominated good teams. There were a lot of good days in 2019-2020.

Last edited by Fudd; 04-22-2020 at 09:33 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-22-2020), UDTradition (05-06-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The

We had a better chance of winning it all in 1984 and 2014 than we did of beating that 1967 UCLA team. This was the one year we didn't see that brick wall waiting for us to run into Whether that turned out to be the case, we'll never know. But it's also the only year we went into it rated #3 and arguably could've been #2 and with an overtime loss to #1. This season was different. We weren't Cinderella.

So what I'm saying is we had a better chance of winning 6 in a row to win a National Championship this season than we did of winning that championship game against UCLA.
I agree with the probable outcomes. But all it takes is one key injury, like Alcindor sprains his ankle early and comes out of the locker room in a warm up jersey and a boot. Game on.
Now let's talk about what is possible in that scenario, not impossible.

That feeling of the air going out of the Arena when Obi went down with a turned ankle is hard to overlook. Maybe that turns out to be a stress fracture. We never get to play 6 in a row, much less run the table.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,343 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...season-was-cut

"Alone, Ryan Mikesell keeps another dream alive after Dayton’s magic season was cut short"
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-06-2020), ChampCar (04-30-2020), CJ2etc (04-30-2020), CT Flyer (04-29-2020), fuz_forward (04-30-2020), Glen Clark (04-29-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-30-2020), MikeFlyer (04-30-2020), SC_Flyer (04-29-2020), superfan99 (04-30-2020), tirebiter (04-29-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:26 PM
Just off the Jet

MemTGRS has a spectacular aura aboutMemTGRS has a spectacular aura about
I totally admire the season you guys had and been meaning to note that.

And I am jealous that the A-10 has you guys and VCU. Wish we (AAC) had y'all.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MemTGRS For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (05-08-2020), ChrisInVenice (05-06-2020), jack72 (05-06-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-06-2020), MikeFlyer (05-06-2020), San Diego Flyer (05-06-2020), superfan99 (05-06-2020), ud69 (05-05-2020), UDEE79 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
The NCAA tournament is the most fun thing in sports. It’s also a terrible way of crowning the best team as champion

It’s not called March madness because the favorites always win. So it was pretty easy for me to get over The idea that Dayton was going to win the title or even make a final four, because the odds were still against it

My only disappointment is that I wasn’t able to see the team in person again. No way we ever have a team so enjoyable to watch offensively. Grant was truly the perfect coach for Obi’s talents and the small ball style that fit the roster
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-08-2020), jack72 (05-07-2020)