Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
An all—Ohio Non-Con Bubble?

In the spirit of... It’s 2020 so why not? 13 D1 college basketball schools come to Columbus the week of Thanks Giving. Why? Most if not all Ohio colleges will not be returning to campus after that anyway. You play everybody once. if there are in-conference matchups, a.k.a. Mac and horizon, they can count them as conference games if they wish. Realistically, I just don’t see people coming to the arena until January, and I also don’t see us playing in Myrtle Beach, Nevada, or wherever, regardless of what anybody says. added bonus, these would all be neutral site games which will help everybody’s net. this would also give everybody a body of work heading into whatever conference play looks like. Other states like Florida, Texas, Indiana, California, etc., could do this same sort of thing. In Ohio’s case, sell the package to Fox sports Ohio. You could even integrate some of these like Ohio State Xavier as a Gabbot game for example. The top four teams go to a mini tournament with a consolation game. This may be crazy, but hasn’t 2020 been crazy anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Some version of this in a "bubble" set up makes a lot of sense.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
The Athletic had an article I saw breaking up all of the Div 1 teams into regional pods for non conference play. I think it makes the most sense for getting non con games in, but I don't know the feasibility from a financial standpoint given the disparities between the Dukes and Woffords of the world. TV money would have to make it worth everyone's while, and even then, how would it be divided?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
The Athletic had an article I saw breaking up all of the Div 1 teams into regional pods for non conference play. I think it makes the most sense for getting non con games in, but I don't know the feasibility from a financial standpoint given the disparities between the Dukes and Woffords of the world. TV money would have to make it worth everyone's while, and even then, how would it be divided?
And the most important American principle would apply; "It's always about the money"
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
For the bigger states this would work. I think Illinois has 13 as well. The Carolinas, Texas, California, New York etc. would be fine. States with fewer schools would probably have to do a more regional setup.

This would be awesome. TV viewership would be through the roof, especially if it isn't competing with college football. NHL will be over and nobody cares about woke NBA anymore. Only competition would be NFL and they really only play on one day of the week.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
In the Coaches Corner Zoom last week, Neil said he was promoting something like described in the Athletic during the time most colleges were going online, Thanksgiving until ?? , because athletes would not have to be on campus for classes.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
TV wise, the American, Atlantic 10, horizon, and Mac, all have deals with ESPN and some aspect so they could satisfy inventory on ESPN plus if needed. The only outlier in this case is X, but even then, maybe CBS Sports network can carry some games along with Fox sports Ohio? I’m thinking of the crosstown shoot out… Or whatever they call it now. CBS Sports network has a deal with the big east.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
This has some merit. I saw The Athletic article where they broke teams in to 8 team Pods. Unfortunately, in the example they used OSU and UD played in Cleveland and UC and X played at NKU’s arena. UD should aggressively pursue some modified version of this that would include OSU, X, UD, and UC. All four come from different conferences so I don’t know whether that is a positive or negative in pulling something like this together. Getting those three games would satisfy most fans attempt to make Lemonade out of lemons during this awful period.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
This has some merit. I saw The Athletic article where they broke teams in to 8 team Pods. Unfortunately, in the example they used OSU and UD played in Cleveland and UC and X played at NKU’s arena. UD should aggressively pursue some modified version of this that would include OSU, X, UD, and UC. All four come from different conferences so I don’t know whether that is a positive or negative in pulling something like this together. Getting those three games would satisfy most fans attempt to make Lemonade out of lemons during this awful period.

I think it’s a plus. Also, if I’m doing this correctly, all but the horizon have deals with CBS Sports. So they could carry a bunch of games. The Athletics idea is cool, but my thought by putting them together as close to by state as possible was so that states could operate within their own rules. if Ohio for example had a no fans rule for indoor sporting events, that would apply whether the teams played at home or at a neutral site. This way, neutral site games are better for the net so it may entice some teams to play at neutral sites that may normally not play at them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
And the most important American principle would apply; "It's always about the money"
Yulp and throw in the cost for COVID-19 testing not only for the players, but all involved. Im’m not sure if the article covered if tOSU’s medical school will administer and cover all test samples costs? Which Insurer will cover the liabilities? Now there’s talk of an unknown impact of the heart due to contracting COVID-19 even if one is asymmetric which is a factor in Fall sports being canceled. If they can figure out a dollar amount which will cover the possible lawsuits 10, 20 and 30 years from now then I guess it will be a go.

As a side note pay attention to the University of Washington as they are on the forefront of COVID-19 testing and research for a vaccine. Many major companies whom test their employees as well as many government agencies send their sample them. Research the a University of Washington’s findings and recommendations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
UD should just get into a bubble with Wright State. Then the non-con schedule will just be like a best of 13 Gem City Jam. It’ll be like Groundhog Day. Every day the same, except we’ll actually be observing Martin Luther King, Jr Day. It’ll be really great, you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device