Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Youth, Intensity and Focus

It seems to me that the biggest problem that this team has and the major contributor to its
seesaw results is intensity and focus. We either see it and win (like VCU) or we don't see it and embarrass ourselves on national TV (St. Joseph's).

I will place a lot of that on the youth and inexperience of the team BUT, I have NEVER seen other teams wearing headphones on the TV while they are warming up which is what I saw at St. J's.

For heaven's sake, it is time for these young people to grow up and face the music, not listen to the music, prior to game time. Life is tough, it will get tougher long after basketball. Shed the headphones and get focus. There should be nothing in your head except the game plan and your role in it as you warm up.

Coach, I strongly support you but this permissiveness is not the reflection I want to see.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to GoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-19-2018), Sid Louick (01-19-2018), UACFlyer (01-19-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2018, 11:13 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We watch different games then as many players wear headphones prior to games. For some it blocks out distractions, for some it's motivational music. Don't have a problem with players pre game rituals, but once the intros are done they better be focused.

Blame for not being focused or ready belongs on the captains. Coaches work on game strategies and captains need to know if the players are ready.

Believe it was post game show where they questioned team chemistry. Can't speak to the team but XW looks totally disconnected from the team.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-19-2018), Gazoo (01-19-2018), Tony T 71 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my god... Get off my Lawn... Headphones?? lol
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-19-2018), Gazoo (01-19-2018), Tony T 71 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Personally I do not have an issue with the phones as I'm sure as it gets closer to game time they are required to take them off and get final instructions. What we saw on TV could have been just video from pregame individual shoot around and not the more structured pregame warmup.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Angry

Originally Posted by GoFlyer View Post
It seems to me that the biggest problem that this team has and the major contributor to its
seesaw results is intensity and focus. We either see it and win (like VCU) or we don't see it and embarrass ourselves on national TV (St. Joseph's).

I will place a lot of that on the youth and inexperience of the team BUT, I have NEVER seen other teams wearing headphones on the TV while they are warming up which is what I saw at St. J's.

For heaven's sake, it is time for these young people to grow up and face the music, not listen to the music, prior to game time. Life is tough, it will get tougher long after basketball. Shed the headphones and get focus. There should be nothing in your head except the game plan and your role in it as you warm up.

Coach, I strongly support you but this permissiveness is not the reflection I want to see.

...and take off those **** long shorts!!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Identity and Roles

This team clearly does not know who it is. They act as though they believe they are a very talented perimeter shooting team. They sure were that against VCU in the arena. My vision of this team is that they could develop into a dominant inside team with JC in the middle and a healthy and motivated XW also down low. The dual Davis' along with Jalen C will work the perimeter. The main inside scorer should be Josh C with passes from Jalen, DD and X. When playing against zone XW should be posted back to the basket at the foul line or flashing into that spot. The offense should take a three shot in the half court offense only after the ball is touched by JC inside.
JC is the scorer and main rebounder. XW is a passer and rebounder and the 4th option on a shot. DD is the first option on the perimeter because he can shoot the trey and dribble penetrate.
Jalen as the PG is should be the last option in the offense as his main role is to pass the ball to the others. This is sometimes known as running the offense. Jordan Davis is a promising Freshman who on this team is the third option who can shoot the trey and also penetrate off the dribble against weak man defense. My wish for the Jalen/Crosby combo at PG is that they average about 12 points/game in scoring and combine for 12-14 assists per game. If this team can identify itself as a good man defensive team that can create steals and cause turnovers along with a consistent inside first/outside second offense they can gain better consistency and win more games. I do believe AG has this vision or a similar one but the players need to buy in. If not they will get lucky and win a few but lose more this year.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GoFlyer View Post
I have NEVER seen other teams wearing headphones on the TV while they are warming up which is what I saw at St. J's.
Lord knows I have. You don't watch enough hoops. This is incredibly common and has been so for years.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-22-2018), UDGutter2 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
Focus and intensity are great terms but rather meaningless. Talent, intensity and execution are meaningful terms. For example, whom on the Flyers has the talent to drive to hoop and finish? Crutcher, XW, J Davis, MS, Kostas have shown little ability to drive and finish. They have not shown that talent or ability. It really can't be coached. That leaves the 3 point shot which makes a team one dimensional. On great shooting nights, UD will be competitive in the A10. When not shooting well, we don't have the rebounding or defense to be competitive. Focus and intensity will not change this outcome.

Right now, only DD and Cunningham show talent to finish and Cunningham is not being force fed the ball. Everyone else is a complementary type player. So, a break even season is in store.

Maybe, the players should wear the same headphones from the Bonnies game.
Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
They have never worn headphones during warm ups at the arena (that I have seen and I am at every game) and I doubt if they do on the road. Shootaround yes, some do.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
What is probably confusing is that TV will show players wearing headphones and shooting. What we don't know is when the cameras captured them. I do know I've seen our players with headphones but if you look at the seats they are fairly empty meaning those were taken well ahead of actual warmup when seats are fuller.

There were times I've seen tv announcers giving pre game analysis with the seats mostly empty. Even thought where are our fans, they cut to commercial and on return seats are full. So they obviously pre record a lot of there show.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Funny, when I walk through the office and see "managers" wearing headphones, I get the same impression. Just can't get used to it. In full confession, when I walk over to talk to someone and they may have a little background music on the iphone, and they hit pause, it doesn't bother me at all. Double standard, image, or just being old school? I dunno....