UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Illinois Thread

DeBruler out with mono.

http://www.illinihq.com/news/volleyb...ned_with_mono/
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Illinois thread

3pm and no one here. Doors open 3;30.

WMU gave Illinois all they could handle. Hope they are tired. Regardless the flyers will be ready. Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers Lose 3-0

26-24, 25-16, 25-18
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch. Id hate to have seen the scores with DeMuler playing. I must say this score is disappointing considering the circumstances. But, I think it does illustrate just how much of a huge divide there is between Top-25 and Top-10. Its a definitive leap for sure.

Lets take care of Western.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think Mike did a good job tonight, like how he kept throwing the stats as the match went on.

Can't be happy losing three straight sets but even without DeBruler Illinois is a load. The team has learned a lot about what they need to do as the season goes on. Need to get Western Michigan tomorrow and I doubt that is going to be easy.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Very disappointing day for sure. Outside of the first set Dayton didn't compete. Poor passing, some boneheaded plays, to put it mildly they got schooled again. But this time not because of superior play by Illinois but mostly by their own undoing.

Dayton actually outplayed Illinois in the first set but a very bad call late in the game think tied at 22 or 23 really hurt.

All in all the experience is still invaluable and will show dividends at years end. Got to regroup tomorrow and next week.

1-2 was expected so no big loss there (unless we lose to WMU) so we should not be hurt in the polls. Starting next week we should start our roll but don't expect all matches to be cakewalks.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,478 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Team is focused on WMI. Girls didn't even take much time to talk to family/friends. They headed right up to the bleachers to scout WMI vs. NE. Still seemed pretty upbeat when I stopped by to say goodbye for the night. Yvonne made both NE's major newspapers - Omaha World Herald and Lincoln Star Journal. Both had her picture on the front of the Sports sections.

So far they've lost to two teams they weren't suppose to beat, and they played well at times against both. Just need more time in the gym to work on raising a couple areas of their game to a new level and work on playing at that high level for longer periods of time. I did think we served better tonight. I didn't think we served that great at MN.

This team will not let WMI in the match tomorrow. I think they are all business and will come out smoking. If you had attened last weekend and this one, you know there has been huge improvements with only 2-3 days of practice. It was important to see steps forward. Lots to still work on to take it to a Top 10 level, but we know this team is about hard work and with 3 game tapes against Top 10 teams, they will get after it -- the good, the bad and the ugly. Without this schedule, we wouldn't have an opportunity to address a lot of the issues.

Going to the NE-Idaho football game at 11:30 CST and then over to the Devaney Center for the 4:30 match against WMI. It will be interesting to see how we adjust to the bigger arena. This will help us in preparing to play at UD Arena -- and it is different.

Go Flyers!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM
General of the Air Force

On a side note: talked with Mike again after the game and was shocked to learn that he isn't getting any support from the admin. These are his expenses and something he is doing on his own. He has tried to get some advertising to help defer costs but the admin has objected to his choice of advertisers.

Can't believe a program primed to be in the top 20 and the most likely to reach the final four first of all fall and winter teams has no support from the athletic department or admin.

Something seriously wrong with this picture.

UDPriders need to voice their opinions to the admin.

Mike should not be the one and only one supporting the vball broadcasts.

UDPriders unite.....ideas anyone?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
On a side note: talked with Mike again after the game and was shocked to learn that he isn't getting any support from the admin. These are his expenses and something he is doing on his own. He has tried to get some advertising to help defer costs but the admin has objected to his choice of advertisers.

Can't believe a program primed to be in the top 20 and the most likely to reach the final four first of all fall and winter teams has no support from the athletic department or admin.

Something seriously wrong with this picture.

UDPriders need to voice their opinions to the admin.

Mike should not be the one and only one supporting the vball broadcasts.

UDPriders unite.....ideas anyone?
Come on Tim W. Do the right thing. At least pick up the expenses. That's pretty cheap.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think Mike has done a good job this weekend but he didn't do himself any favors last week.

Here is an example of things that I didn't like hearing last week. The quotes aren't exact but pretty close and if I noticed I am sure others close to the program noticed.

"This is the most ballyhooed season opener at UD since well last year's men's basketball season". This sounded a little tongue and cheek to me as in not taking vball too seriously.

"We have a battle of the mid majors tonight"

"Welcome to division I volleyball" after Megan Campbell was blocked in her 7th division I volleyball match. The team hadn't played anyone the caliber of Minnesota but it wasn't like they had played division II teams.

"This is like watching a local team play against a power team" Did he even mention high school team, don't know about that.

I'm not going to go back and listen but I didn't get the feeling that he considered UD a tremendous volleyball team. The broadcasts this week have been better especially as he mentions things that kelly said they need to do better
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Nice post game interview with Becky

Good comments from coach that they are not a top 10 team because they cannot sustain excellence. If this team becomes very consistent passing the ball they will be a load come tournament time.

A final parting shot though that "Nebraska knows how to do it right. Flyer fans put 5000 people in the seats and then we can talk". I don't know why someone commenting as a UD volleyball broadcaster would find it necessary to take a shot at the UD fans or program at the end of the broadcast. Everyone has known for a long time that Nebraska has great fan support. It doesn't make me mad, just makes me wonder why.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Nice post game interview with Becky

Good comments from coach that they are not a top 10 team because they cannot sustain excellence. If this team becomes very consistent passing the ball they will be a load come tournament time.

A final parting shot though that "Nebraska knows how to do it right. Flyer fans put 5000 people in the seats and then we can talk". I don't know why someone commenting as a UD volleyball broadcaster would find it necessary to take a shot at the UD fans or program at the end of the broadcast. Everyone has known for a long time that Nebraska has great fan support. It doesn't make me mad, just makes me wonder why.
I did not see it as a shot at all. Just the facts. We are not a top 10 team on the court and we are not a top 10 team in the stands but we are improving in both areas. Nebraska is both of those.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Okay I am going to take smitch's lead and the next time in Dayton going to get Mike and Brian and myself in one room. Smitch can moderate. Actually Brian, like smitch said, Mike is a good guy handling a tough job without his sidekick. I think we will all see improved broadcasts as Mike adjusts to the sport and the mike at games.

In fact I will go so far as to say that in any event where Mandy cannot make a match, UDBrian should fill in. The pay is good.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
General of the Air Force

What I would like to see just before a mbball game at the arena in front of a full house is a replay on our new jumbo screens of the UD v NE first set starting from 12-20 till end. Then at half the 5th game between NE and Ill show casing 13k fans.

That should wet a few avid fans.