User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Issues with the zone

Problem is that I really believe BG has no clue how to beat the zone.Three good ways to do it.(1)You have to get the ball into the paint either low post or high post.Those guys have to kick back out and rotate the ball.(2) you have to be a crisp passing team and take some chances with cross-court/over-the-top passing,and (3) you have to have a PG that can get into the lane for either short jumpers or kickouts.

I have never seen BG attack a zone this way as we have not had a real good PG that is electric with the ball.WE MUST have ball movement and I saw waaay too much "same zip code" passing last night.Another words,the ball stayed in one spot for several seconds.

To me,the UD half-court offense loks alot like the OSU offense in football.They really do not have an identity or an MO.I watched a very crish passing team in Gannon last night that really made our guys move their feet defensively.Luckily,we have some great athletes that are long,lean, and very quick.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
On paper we should be able to beat the zone, for one simple reason, athletes.

We have the ability to beat the zone. But the passing around and waiting for someone to move kills us.

Watch any team that comes to the arena. I noticed again against Gannon. Gannon makes crisp passes with very fast ball movement and reversal. You move the ball quick and beat a guy on the rotation, you have a zone beat.

We have shooters that have shown up so far, they will be a plus as well since the zone can't sag into the paint breaking up the passing and driving lanes. We'll see what happens when the games count.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I think BG knows how to break a zone, but i think his players have some bad habits that need to be broken. Namely, our players tend to hold the ball and allow the rotations to catch up. Or they tend to dribble the moment they get the ball instead of holding the ball first and assessing the situation. This kills any advantage you have in quick ball rotation. But strategically, BG has always had someone like Monty or CL or CW fill the high post which is the way you break down a zone. It's just that the reversals and the passing are not crisp. On occasion, that high post guy takes the shot or drives and we get a bucket or some freethrows. But i agree that it is a very rare occasion when the ball is fed into the high post and then reversed immediately to the other side. I'm hoping that the players exhibit a better hoops I.Q. this year. But i'm confident that BG is teaching them how to do it just by the way he has our typically most athletic player flashing to the free throw line.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I think BG knows how to break a zone, but i think his players have some bad habits that need to be broken. Namely, our players tend to hold the ball and allow the rotations to catch up.
It is early, and not to get off with a negative tone and start a holy war on here, but I will say it now and say it later if errors aren't corrected. There is one person responsible for errors that happen year after year. It isn't the player. If KH was kicked square in the nuts every time he leaned into a screen and got an offensive foul...do you think he would still be doing it?

Like I said, it is early, and lets stay positive. Let's see what happens in the games that count.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I think BG knows how to break a zone, but i think his players have some bad habits that need to be broken. Namely, our players tend to hold the ball and allow the rotations to catch up. Or they tend to dribble the moment they get the ball instead of holding the ball first and assessing the situation. This kills any advantage you have in quick ball rotation. But strategically, BG has always had someone like Monty or CL or CW fill the high post which is the way you break down a zone. It's just that the reversals and the passing are not crisp. On occasion, that high post guy takes the shot or drives and we get a bucket or some freethrows. But i agree that it is a very rare occasion when the ball is fed into the high post and then reversed immediately to the other side. I'm hoping that the players exhibit a better hoops I.Q. this year. But i'm confident that BG is teaching them how to do it just by the way he has our typically most athletic player flashing to the free throw line.
That's on the coaches squarely.He's now been here,what 6 plus years,and had had various personnel to work with.To say that the players hold the ball,etc.,well,that is because of lack of movement and that is because of BG and his offensive philosopy.Watch how Gannon ran their offense.Constant movement and very crisp passes.
Also,remember that BG recruits the players that are running the offense.I think that losing Meacham put bith BG and UD behind the eight ball.He transferred out at the worst possible time and had to take a 2 guard with zero point guard mentality and make him the PG.